Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#600466 - 06/04/20 01:07 PM [User Showcase] The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar)
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

The Slide

floyd and I (Bud) wrote the lyric while floyd alone developed the melody, chord progression and arrangement. As always floyd took what I thought was a decent idea and transformed it into IMO a fine song. Thanks!

Peter joined in with an intro lead and fills. He sent us a cornucopia of riches to choose from smile Thanks!

OK, it’s not about the “current situation(s);” rather, it’s a broken relationship tune told by a lady - perhaps a little twist on the old theme.

Your time to listen and comment is always appreciated.

Thanks. Be safe.

Janice: lead & harmony vocals / vocal arrangement
Rodes NT1 > Scarlett 212 > Logic Pro > Nectar 2 or CLA Vocals

Peter: guitar lead and fills

Drums: RD NashvilleEven16^3
Logic Pro EQ > Waves CLA Drums

Bass RT: 1036 Electric, NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
Waves Bass Rider > Neutron 3

Piano MIDI SuperTrack: 2101 PopModernGroove
Logic Pro Grand Steinway > Logic Pro Direction Mixer >
Waves ClA Unplugged

Guitar: RT 829: Electric, Rhythm PopModernGroove
EMT 140 Plate Reverb sim

DAW: Logic Pro X
Mastering: Logic EQ > Waves LinMB > Waves L2 > Ozone Tonal Balance > Logic Pro Loudness Meter

Thank you PG Music!

The Slide
© 2020 Bud Merritt & floyd jane / All Rights Reserved

i know i should have drawn the line
a drink or two before closing time
but inviting looks washed in neon
were more than enough to lead me on

a slippery slope a wayward path
so i was bound to face an angel's wrath
my demons determined to drive me mad
betraying you and all we had

so many years out on the edge
   i’m still crawling through my wreckage
   always hoping you'll be on the other side
   and desperately hoping to stop the slide

a few hours with a stranger erased
a love that I can never replace
a fool opens dangerous doors
forgiveness has its limits, you reached yours

i’m still crawling through my wreckage

callin', callin'
fallin', fallin'

I’m still crawling through my wreckage

i know i should have drawn the line
a drink or two before closing time...

#600484 - 06/04/20 02:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Expert

Loc: United Kingdom
Floyd Jane's influence can clearly be felt throughout this song. I can't quite point it out in words - maybe it's the soaring melody lines, who knows. But, without being able to articulate why, I would nevertheless spot his influence a mile away.

Yes, a new "twist" indeed to the genre. In my experience (disclaimer: I'm only joking!), a woman rarely admits she's wrong in such circumstances ... at least when she has to deal with someone like me, haha. Again, only joking ... but my point is that this is indeed an unexpected twist to the usual way these songs seem to go. In any case ... I love the lyrics.

And, of course, Janice sings the lights out of the song, so to speak ... with her usual-by-now-to-my-ears emotive communication. I love the ending, too ... a question which seems to remain hanging in the air ... a beautifully sung "ritenuto" :-) And that guitar ... :-)

Congratulations to all!!!

#600489 - 06/04/20 03:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Central Ohio
edshaw Offline
Expert

Loc: Central Ohio
I'm speechless.
Reaper/Audacity
TASCAM DP 03 SD|Digital deck

#600490 - 06/04/20 04:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: edshaw]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
You guys and gal are so talented. It is amazing to me how you come up with one winner after another. Get lyrics and of course super vocal as usual. Love the mix. Peter's guitar is icing on the cake.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#600510 - 06/04/20 06:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: musician17]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: musician17
Floyd Jane's influence can clearly be felt throughout this song. I can't quite point it out in words - maybe it's the soaring melody lines, who knows. But, without being able to articulate why, I would nevertheless spot his influence a mile away.

Yes, a new "twist" indeed to the genre. In my experience (disclaimer: I'm only joking!), a woman rarely admits she's wrong in such circumstances ... at least when she has to deal with someone like me, haha. Again, only joking ... but my point is that this is indeed an unexpected twist to the usual way these songs seem to go. In any case ... I love the lyrics.

And, of course, Janice sings the lights out of the song, so to speak ... with her usual-by-now-to-my-ears emotive communication. I love the ending, too ... a question which seems to remain hanging in the air ... a beautifully sung "ritenuto" :-) And that guitar ... :-)

Congratulations to all!!!

Thanks for ALL the kind words. And thanks for mentioning the tag. That also has the fj stamp on it!

J&B

#600515 - 06/04/20 07:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Veteran

Such a nice collaboration!
Very fluid. Seems like everybody pitched in from the heart. Very rich arrangement. Janice vocals are a treat, loved the repetitive vocal solo from 2:30. Co-writing lyrics can be a tricky task.. Bud, FJ great job, very smooth! Peter's guitars add extra shine. P.S. Ending was super cool.
Congrats to all and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#600544 - 06/05/20 12:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Absolutely wonderful.
My only err umm is that the rim shot is a little aggressive in the intro ...could be my head though.
Fabulous fourth corner on a three cornered hat and the hat fits.
Love it.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#600545 - 06/05/20 12:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Canberra, Australia
A fine song indeed, Bud and Floyd. Janice's vocal is splendid, as always.
I particularly like the 'crawling through my wreckage' line in the lyrics.
Regards,
Leon

#600555 - 06/05/20 01:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: MarioD]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Originally Posted By: MarioD
You guys and gal are so talented. It is amazing to me how you come up with one winner after another. Get lyrics and of course super vocal as usual. Love the mix. Peter's guitar is icing on the cake.

Yes, what Mario said ... in spades. Superb talent will always find a way to rise to the top. This is superb talent. I really like how the last word doesn't resolve to the tonic ... leaves a nice edge. A real sweet listen. Congrats to all!

Best to yous. Be safe ...

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#600590 - 06/05/20 03:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Wow, this is great!

Really good writing and of course the vocal/harmonies are spot on.

The treatment on:

"callin', callin'
fallin', fallin'",

not exactly sure how you did that, but it's superb!

Outstanding from the intro with Peter's guitar to the ending with just Janice. Loved it!

#600652 - 06/05/20 08:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool collaboration. Everything is perfect. Awesome lyric and vocal. Loved Peters guitar. Professional level production. Well done

#600662 - 06/05/20 09:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

A good write with some subtle self examination, avoiding cliches.
Lots of mentionable lines; I like these:

a fool opens dangerous doors
forgiveness has its limits, you reached yours

The way Janice bends the melody adds to the hurt of the theme and Peter`s guitar has just the right edge.
I agree with Dave;that little vocal treatment on "callin` callin" is sublime!

Very good work from all four collaborators.

Robert

#600703 - 06/05/20 01:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: MarioD]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: edshaw
I'm speechless.

Thanks y'all!

J&B

#600718 - 06/05/20 03:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Excellent write. Janice snakes around those lines with that world-weary sense. Band sounds good. Peter's fills extremely tasteful...good sense of "song". Really, really nice and effective ending that fits the theme to a tee. Much enjoyed.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#600814 - 06/06/20 09:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: rayc]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Such a nice collaboration!
Very fluid. Seems like everybody pitched in from the heart. Very rich arrangement. Janice vocals are a treat, loved the repetitive vocal solo from 2:30. Co-writing lyrics can be a tricky task.. Bud, FJ great job, very smooth! Peter's guitars add extra shine. P.S. Ending was super cool.
Congrats to all and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks Misha. We always look forward to collaborating with floyd. It’s been a fun eight year run. Thanks for mentioning all the aspects that we hoped folks would find pleasing!

J&B

Originally Posted By: rayc
Absolutely wonderful.
My only err umm is that the rim shot is a little aggressive in the intro ...could be my head though.
Fabulous fourth corner on a three cornered hat and the hat fits.
Love it.

Thanks Ray. I (Bud) wish, and I mean this sincerely, that I had acuity of hearing that you have.
My long standing high f loss (even with high tech aids) gets problematic on some mixes for sure.
Janice has stunningly good hearing! So I need to get her more involved in mixing but she's not excited
over that prospect. smile
Love that hat analogy! We appreciate the response.

J&B

#600849 - 06/06/20 03:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

This is a great song y'all. You never write bad one.

smile

Loved everything about this. Great lyrics, vocals, production and parts. Super job.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#600906 - 06/06/20 09:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
I got a strong Jackson Browne feel from this one, with lines like 'inviting looks washed in neon' and the general conceit of 'wreckage.' Fantastic work, hard to outdo your usually exceptional norm, but I think you did it here.

#600944 - 06/07/20 05:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: Leon1]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Leon1
A fine song indeed, Bud and Floyd. Janice's vocal is splendid, as always.
I particularly like the 'crawling through my wreckage' line in the lyrics.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks Leon! You are a wordsmith and we always appreciate your comments!

J&B

Edited by Janice & Bud (06/11/20 08:36 AM)

#601043 - 06/07/20 07:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: Al-David]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Al-David

Yes, what Mario said ... in spades. Superb talent will always find a way to rise to the top. This is superb talent. I really like how the last word doesn't resolve to the tonic ... leaves a nice edge. A real sweet listen. Congrats to all!

Best to yous. Be safe ...

Alan

Thank you Alan!

J&B

#601095 - 06/08/20 06:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Slide (co-write with floyd jane / PeterF on guitar) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
James, Ed, Mario, Misha, Ray, Leon, Alan.... thanks for listening to our song (of course, Janice makes that a pleasure!). It is always a wonderful experience to write with Bud.

Leon - that 'crawling through my wreckage' line was from Bud's original draft - as well as the clever rhyme (with "edge") - he is quite good at that stuff...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows: New Features Video

It's here! Check out all the new features released with Band-in-a-Box 2021 for Windows with our New Features video.
www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Video - 202 New RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows®!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020, we added 202 new RealTracks! There are brand-new RealTracks for Jazz, Blues, Funk, Latin, Pop, Rock, World, Country, Americana & Celtic, and more!

Get the newest RealTracks Sets 353-375 when you purchase the PlusPAK upgrade (ideal for 2020 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+ customers) for just $99 during our special (reg. $129).

Want the entire RealTracks Sets 1-375 collection with over 3,100 RealTracks? They are included with any Band-in-a-Box 2021 for Windows UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Check out our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows® - 202 New RealTracks Overview, which demonstrates the newest RealTracks Sets 329-352.

NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 10 & MultiStyles PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

We've just released some amazing new Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020!

Xtra Styles PAK 10 with 50 styles each for Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Folk Celebration! These carefully crafted RealStyles include lo-fi acoustic guitar hip hop, triple-guitar garage rock, a barbeque boom-chick jam, slidin' lazy country blues, bolero and bossa nova fusion, a Gypsy and stride ballad, praise break organ jazz fusion, surfin' folk rock, barn dance old-time stomp 'n' clap, an acoustic folky blues jam, and so much more!

Introducing MultiStyles PAK 1! 30 MultiStyles containing 120 styles - that's a total of 150 Styles! We've included 10 MultiStyles each for Country, Jazz, and Rock-Pop. Our jazz greats MultiStyle allows you to switch between piano and guitar comping, or select from two different solos. Our Jamaican groove selecta allows you to switch from ska at one section to reggae, island groove, or reggae with sax solo at another. A Tex-Mex country MultiStyle allows you to switch between a regular-time and double-time feel. And that's just the beginning. There's so much more in store! Once you dive into these professionally-mixed MultiStyles, you'll wonder how you ever made due with only two substyles per song! Use one substyle for a softer intro, another one for a restrained breakdown, then throw in a different and energetic middle-eight, or change it up with a solo. The possibilities are endless!

And they're ON SALE!

Xtra Styles PAK 10, and ALL our Xtra Styles PAKs, are on sale for $29 (reg. $49) each! Haven't purchased Xtra Styles yet, but now you want them all? The COMPLETE collection of Xtra Styles PAKs 1-10 with over 1,600 RealStyles can be yours for only $199 (reg. $349)! There's also an option to purchase the newest Xtra Styles PAKs 9 & 10 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for a bundle price of $49, if you missed out on our previous special! www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Purchase MultiStyles PAK 1 for only $19 (reg. $29)! Adding the 2021 49-PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows purchase? No need to buy this separately, MultiStyles PAK 1 is included with it! www.pgmusic.com/addons.multistyles.php?os=win

Mac user? Click here for your OS specific product announcement.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows is HERE!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows with over 50 new features, 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2020- save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks and the just-released MultiStyles PAK 1) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows at: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

Forum Stats
33300 Members
67 Forums
66499 Topics
569645 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Dhcousins, LinhForex, Wmpf, ewesaname, jymorisson49

33300 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 283
Pipeline 270