Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Hello All,

during one of the upgrades in the last few months, I discovered that now when our dear program launches, it doesn't appear on my laptop screen, but somewhere else... possibly on a monitor that does not exist.

I have the Audiophile version and launch it off the E drive with all my files, drums, styles pointed there. When I plug it in, Windows explorer opens it, and I launch the 64 or 32 bit app from there.

Last time after it launched, I went to the task manager and maximized it. This is what I got (see pic's).

Strangely, when I am within the black window, I can do keyboard shortcuts, like ctrl shift N for Big Piano Window, and the big piano window will appear.

Any suggestions?

Tom Marvan / Dunbar7376

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BlackScreen.JPG (51.73 KB, 171 downloads)
Black Screen
LaunchApp.JPG (325.75 KB, 170 downloads)
Maximize.JPG (94.91 KB, 169 downloads)
AltTab.JPG (162.47 KB, 169 downloads)

Tom Marvan
Dunbar7376
San Diego, CA

Band in A Box Audiophile 2022

MSI GE66 10SFS 15.6" Laptop (Model GE66048)
Intel Core i7 10th Gen i7-10750H 2.6ghz
32GB DDR4 RAM 2666mhz
8GB GDDR6 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
1920 x 1080 Full HD LED
1TB NVMe SSD PCIe
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
In my experience, usually freaky graphics things are related to graphic DPI or compatibility setting. Right click on the BIAB shortcut and try to change DPI settings on the bottom of the list to something else, just for testing purposes. Seems like it is a monitor/video card related.

Another thing to try, is just re-install latest BIAB patch from here:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=600680#Post600680

It should overwrite the whole program, but not the content. That might help.
----

And something else.. Windows pushed update within last couple of days, and I know it messed up some drivers for people. In my case, it was audio interface driver. Just stopped working... Had to re-install to make it work again.

Good luck.

D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Thank you for the tips, I will work on these!

The strange thing is, Band in a Box works just fine when I launch it from the hard drive (C drive) - but it does not show the latest patch there (that you pointed to and I installed), not does it show PAK 9 which I installed today.

Tom.

Tom Marvan
Dunbar7376
San Diego, CA

32GB DDR4 RAM 2666mhz
1920 x 1080 Full HD LED
1TB NVMe SSD PCIe
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Just guessing here, when you install the patch, did it asked you for location of the program...not the Rt/Rd folders...? Try to update both places (C and E drives) with latest patch, see if that resolves it.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Just checking a long shot, since you've been with BIAB since at least 2008:

Even if you run BIAB from the supplied audiophile hard drive, you must first have installed it to your computer. This puts seven or so Windows font files and a few other small things like the record of activation onto your boot drive. You do this by selecting the Minimal Install from your (I think) four options during setup. Did you do this?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Hello Rusty and Matt,

I did as Rusty just suggested - I installed the latest patch on the C drive (I had initially done so on the E drive, where the external drive is plugged into). It recognized the new patch and, after I rebuilt the styles, the new PAK9 and Loop 2 are there.

I have 4 shortcut icons on my desktop:

1. 32-bit "launches" from the C drive
2. 64-bit "launches" from the C drive
3. 32-bit "launches" from the E drive
4. 64-bit "launches" from the E drive

If I try option 3 or 4, I get the issue I originally posted.
If I try option 1 or 2, it now works, as I mentioned, with the new styles and latest patch visible (722) when I check the "Help...About Band in A Box" menu.

Within RealTracks and RealDrums, I see that my preferences are still pointing to the E: drive, so I presume I am getting the benefit of the audiophiles. I am not sure it matters if it the program is launching from C or E, does it?

And should I choose 64-bit over 32-bit? Maybe a topic for another time.

Thank you gents. With your help, I will happily be spending the rest of the weekend composing songs!

Tom.

PS: To answer your original question, Matt, I did at one point install it on my C drive, but with a subsequent version chose to run it off the E. Off the E drive was working fine until recently. I think you may be onto something, as was Rusty, in focusing on the C drive again.

Last edited by dunbar7376; 06/13/20 06:06 PM.

Tom Marvan
Dunbar7376
San Diego, CA

32GB DDR4 RAM 2666mhz
1920 x 1080 Full HD LED
1TB NVMe SSD PCIe
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I would do the Minimal install each time to drive C:

Yes, whether you run from drive C or your PG Music drive, Options, Preferences, Real Tracks (and same for RealDrums) determines where the program looks for the best sounds. You might enjoy reading my article about this; it’s the first post in the Tips and Tricks Forum here.

I run 64-bit whenever possible. For BIAB it makes little difference but it’s good to future proof. In the 32-but version you can’t run 64-bit plugins nor access full RAM without a utility called JBridge. However, in 64-bit BIAB you lose your 32-bit plugins. This is less of a problem now but the determining factor is what your plugin collection looks like.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I think this my 3rd year in a row of the Audiophile edition (although I have been a member of this forum since 2008, I do recall having band in a box since roughly 1999).

For the 2018 and 2019 audiophile versions, I did the minimal install to C (based on your article, and possibly some discussion on this forum between us), but then when running in 64-bit, there were some periodic error messages that - if I recall - support could not resolve and, either through their prompting or my initiative, I tried the E drive approach to see if I could get rid of the error.

It did not work. The support team then did suggest, to avoid the error in 64-bit, just run 32-bit.

I will run 64-bit now, and I am certain there will be an error again which I will share on the forum. The error doesn't prevent me from moving forward or saving files to prevent loss of my work, but it will sometimes stubbornly reappear unless I relaunch.

Anyway, I was able to successfully experiment with some of the new PAK 9 styles last night, lots of fun.

Thank you again for your help.

Tom Marvan

Last edited by dunbar7376; 06/14/20 09:27 AM.

Tom Marvan
Dunbar7376
San Diego, CA

32GB DDR4 RAM 2666mhz
1920 x 1080 Full HD LED
1TB NVMe SSD PCIe
Veteran
Veteran
As far as the black screen issue and the program showing up off screen, I've found a simple solution when it happens to me.

I right-click on the screen and choose Display Settings and set the screen to a lower resolution. That will usually at least get your program back on screen. At that point, you can drag it around to the middle of the screen and restore your resolution back to what it was.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
That's interesting, Steve. Does that imply either the user or the program changed the screen resolution? And are you saying this happens to you now and then?

Along those lines, I suppose it's theoretically possible to change the color scheme to be black writing and graphics on a black background ...

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Does that imply either the user or the program changed the screen resolution?

Not sure on that one so I won't imply it. smile

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Are you saying this happens to you now and then?

Matt, I was referring to other programs that go wonky. I've not had the issue with BIAB/RB.

Media Monkey is an app that I get the issue with on occasion. I have a 3 screen setup on my main PC and sometimes I unplug a screen to connect to my work laptop. That app tends to lose it's mind when I do that and the screen resolution trick helps me restore the app back on to the remaining screens.

I haven't tried running BIAB/RB when I unplug a screen to test that scenario, but I ASSume it would work to restore the app.

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion. I thought that first screenshot of the black screen was just the app being off screen. I didn't notice the BIAB bar running across the top. I'm not sure if the screen resolution trick would bring it back then... It's worth a try I guess.

Last edited by sslechta; 06/15/20 06:17 AM.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Thanks. You know, on my iPhone I didn’t see that single top line either.

I would normally have asked the OP to do Options, Return to Factory Settings but I’m not sure he has any way to see to get to that.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello,

Try this: Save a file called safemode.txt in your bb\Preferences folder on the E: drive. The splash screen should indicate 'safe mode' when you launch the program. This simulates factory settings. Does the problem still happen?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Greetings. I don't have quite the same problem as the original poster, but I think it's close. I have BIAB 64-bit on Windows 10, and I've been using BIAB successfully. Starting today, when I start the program I see only the splash screen. It's not black; it's the usual screen, but the rest of the program never opens. (Naturally I first re-booted my computer.) Another symptom: I can't kill the program by x-ing it out from the Windows taskbar; I have to use the Task Manager.

Following Andrew's suggestion above, I created a safemode.txt, although in my case it was in C:\BB\Preferences. After doing that, the program does start, with the SAFE MODE banner on the splash screen. I got a few errors about unassigned drum notes. So thank you very much for that.

Now, my question is, how do I get out of the safe mode requirement? I assume that I have a corrupt song file or something that's freezing the program (right?). While in safe mode, I opened a song and set my preferences to "On startup, open last song." But that had no effect, and when I remove the safemode.txt file, I'm back to where I started. How can I identify what's getting in my way -- any ideas?

Thanks for your help,
Sam Buttrey

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Sam,

When the program works in safe mode then the settings are corrupt. You will need to open the program in safe mode then navigate to "Options" > "Return To Factory Settings ...".

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Ay yi yi. Okay, I will do that, and thanks for your very prompt help.

B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
I'm sad to say that Jim Fogle's eminently reasonable suggestion didn't work. That is, having "returned to factory settings," I still can't get BIAB to start. I will try to call tomorrow, but...Andrew?

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Buttrey
...Now, my question is, how do I get out of the safe mode requirement? I assume that I have a corrupt song file or something that's freezing the program (right?). While in safe mode, I opened a song and set my preferences to "On startup, open last song." But that had no effect, and when I remove the safemode.txt file, I'm back to where I started. How can I identify what's getting in my way -- any ideas?

Sam

With the BiaB program closed, create a new text file named "writebootuplog.txt" in the \bb\Data\ folder.

Start Band-in-a-Box. This should create a new file named "bootuplog.txt" in the Data folder.

The contents of that file may assist to determine what is causing things to go awry for you.

Please let us know if that assists.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Hi VideoTrack,
Thanks for taking the time to help me out on this.

I did as you suggested, and indeed a bootuplog.txt was created. I should mention that this arose from the situation where I was *not* in safe mode.

That file contains this:
C:\bb\Data\BootupLog.txt= Log file of bootup times. Paste into Excel for best viewing
LogThis: Start of this: Init Start Init1 [6/21/2020 9:23:03 PM] [ms since LogStart(boot)= 2 ], since last LogThis function = 2
LogThis: Start of this: InitCompleted. bbw.dpr started [6/21/2020 9:23:03 PM] [ms since LogStart(boot)= 48 ], since last LogThis function = 46
LogThis: Start of this: possibly showing splash screen... [6/21/2020 9:23:03 PM] [ms since LogStart(boot)= 48 ], since last LogThis function =0

which doesn't really tell me much. Can you think of something that this indicates?

With thanks for you taking your time on this,
Sam Buttrey

Veteran
Veteran
I think the next step is to return to factory settings (if not already undertaken).
As you can't do this from the program, you can do this manually by having BiaB closed and deleting (preferably renaming) two files as follows:

Go to your bb preferences folder (usually c:\bb\preferences), and rename the following two files:

Mysetup.dk
intrface.bbw

Then right click on your BiaB desktop shortcut and select Properties | Compatibility | Check 'Run program as Administrator' and click apply. Then double click on your Band-in-a-Box icon to launch the program.

Hopefully that might have a better outcome.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195