Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
When you've been in business for more than 30 years, there sure is a lot of throw-back resources to be had!

Like this New Features video for Band-in-a-Box® 7!

Some of the New Features added with Band-in-a-Box® 7 included:
-Automatic Soloing
-Soloist Maker
-Style Changes and Any Bar
-MIDI Chord recognition
-Loop Notation Screen
-Favorite Songs Window
..and more!

Tip: Within the Band-in-a-Box® Help window, choose Features and you will see a separate list of new features released with every version of Band-in-a-Box from 7-2020!

Callie
Marketing Representative
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
I remember this very well.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
This was one version before my first version. I started with version 8 ProPak, but when version 9 came out, I went with the MegaPak (which at the time was what today would be the "UltraPak", and haven't looked back as I've upgraded to every version since.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
A great release at the time. It came on quite a bunch of 1,44 MB diskettes . . .

Martin
Veteran
Veteran
Just out of curiosity, what year are we talking here?

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Veteran
Veteran
Around December 1996 I think.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Yowza! Some of you really have been here for a long time, then, to actually remember that release crazy

Veteran
Veteran
I began with version 4, and I don't think I'm the longest owner here (as a customer).

Also, don't forget, there was a user forum here for several years before the current one began in the summer of 2000. All prior posts and post counts were lost.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
...don't forget, there was a user forum here for several years before the current one began in the summer of 2000.
I never even knew that! grin

Veteran
Veteran
It would have been fun to look at the early history. I forget what year it started but I began writing websites in 1994 so it was probably around then.

Veteran
Veteran
Would a site like this have any of the old forum stuff on it? I've used this to find old web pages I made in the 90s.

Web Archive

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
I used to use that frequently, Steve, when someone would ask a question requiring research. For example, what version introduced RealTracks? My memory will get me close, then the Internet Archive gets me quickly to the exact place. However, I noticed a year ago that the PG Music sites were no longer there! I reported it to PG Music, no response.

I'll look again using your link.

EDIT: Yep, got this:

Sorry.

This URL has been excluded from the Wayback Machine.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 06/15/20 07:28 AM.

Expert
Expert
My use of BIAB goes right back to version 1 which came on stiffy/floppy drives and was in a box which I got at a music store. The internet was quite basic in those days and mostly consisted of dial-up access and Bulletin Boards so I would not have been aware of PG Music's web site. I think we only had sixteen styles as well.

That version I have backed up onto an archive drive. I cannot run it as it requires a hardware interface to run and I do not have any computers old enough to install my old MPU-401 into. Virtual DOS machines do not work either so the software will never be installed again. In the old days it was a way of getting drums and bass before carrying on the sequencing in Cakewalk Pro. A lot of the songs I could get away with just drums, bass, live guitar and my vocals. But of course in the following years extra instruments were added.

Kevin smile

Expert
Expert
i first bought BIAB on floppies and the earliest file i have was done in 1997. i got PowerTracks free and from then worked out the sequence i still use. Rough out in BIAB and then edit in PowerTracks - now RealBand.

Yes it was all midi and for playing out live we used a Roland SC7 and a yamaha file player. and before the yamaha file player we used a laptop running the DOS version of powertracks. windows was 3.1 and the soft synth i used was the Roland VSC1.

we used bass, drums piano and horns to back our duo of two guitars and singers. brass parts i often entered with edtable notation then harmonised to create a complete brass section. can't help thinking that the workarounds we used on the very simple early version of the program gave us an understanding of what could be done and how to do it that new purchasers faced with a much more powerful (but complicated) version of BIAB are missing.

the last century suddenly feels so far away......................

Last edited by Bob Calver; 06/16/20 12:30 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, you were probably running BIAB version 7 then.

Kevin, as you are even more of a pioneer, I salute you.

Veteran
Veteran
I'm not sure if I should own up to this, but I started with Atari, however, a lot of water went under the bridge in the meantime.
(Still got the disks, haven't got the Atari...)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Orifginal35disks033.jpg (290.44 KB, 63 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Trevor, hang on to those. After appropriate aging, the blue ones taste better.

Veteran
Veteran
I think I've lost my appetite grin

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
I do remember knowing about the program in the 90's, even had a try at its chord entering interface in the music store... where I was to buy one of them keyboards which could do that instantly (plus BBox not on the Mac yet at that point), so I never really paid any more attention to it at the time.
But then two things happened in a short span - it came for my precious Mac platform, and so did the Realtracks - and the rest is... well, now you're stuck with me wink

p.s. I have to wonder, about those tasty floppies - red or white to go with, what you reckon??

Last edited by Icelander; 06/17/20 02:25 PM. Reason: Afterthought

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I bought BIAB in a Sam Ash music store in New York City on the recommendation of the salesperson, after inquiring if there was a newer version of what I was using, a Yamaha QY10.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,484
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195