Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have a customer who bought Sherry Mayrent's Klezmer song/style disk.

Here is the situation

• It's probably installed correctly as the styles show up in the song picker
  • The .ls3 file and the .txt file that belong in the Data folder and it's sub folders are in their proper places
  • She has the latest bug fix release of BiaB/Mac
  • If she loads a song, the style both loads along with it and plays with no problem
  • PROBLEM: However, if she loads a style via the style picker, BiaB crashes

Does anyone have any idea about how I can help this customer?

Thanks,
Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

No idea but knowing the computer's operating system version number and what year Band-in-a-Box program she has will help get better responses from the Mac users.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Expert
Expert
Hi Bob,
The first thing I would ask the customer to do is to get a crash log so you could post it here.

If you have them navigate to and launch "/Applications/Utilities/Console.app", then in the column on the left click on "User Reports".

There you will see all the BIAB crashes listed by date.
If they select an entry, the crash log shows in the right side of the window, then they can copy/paste it in an email to you.

If you can post the log here or send it to PG support, the PG folks can probably help, they are really good a deciphering the crash logs.

Hopefully this helps !

- Jay

MacPro 5,1/12 core@3.46GHz -- OS X 10.14.6 -- ATI 7970 -- 32 Gig RAM -- Crucial 500GB OS SSD -- Samsung EVO 1TB Audio/Sample SSD -- BIAB 2023 -- Logic Pro X -- Cubase Elements 11 -- Too many plugins
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks.

Her operating system is Catalina 10.15.5 and as you know, it’s BAIB 2020.

I've asked her for permission to post the crash log. I wouldn't post anything without permission.

It's a .pdf 26 pages long so if she says OK I'll upload it to my site and post a link here.

Bob

Last edited by Notes Norton; 06/16/20 12:52 PM.

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I got permission to post the crash report. It's long so rather than post it here, I uploaded it to my site and here is the URL

http://www.nortonmusic.com/aaa/BIAB_Crash_report.pdf

Not sure which is right so here are more.

http://www.nortonmusic.com/aaa/Crash_report2.pdf

http://www.nortonmusic.com/aaa/Crash_Report3.pdf

http://www.nortonmusic.com/aaa/DIAGNOSTIC_REPORT.pdf

This is all beyond my area of expertise. I figure too much information is better than not enough.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bob

Last edited by Notes Norton; 06/16/20 01:56 PM.

Expert
Expert
Hey Bob,
It was probably good that you got permission before posting it sorry I didn't think of that.
Although since Apple went to anonymous UUID#'s there isn't anything personal in the logs anymore (but better safe than sorry).

The first and third files are actually the ones I was alluding to in my longwinded description of how to capture them. blush
the other files are useful if it is captured while the actual crash is happening (which doesn't seem to be the case with those), but that's OK.

I can see that thread 10 crashed in the first log that you posted, and it was thread 13 in the third file with the exact same crash.
Hopefully the PG folks can figure out what's going on there, as my knowledge of reading crash logs is limited.
I can usually spot crashes caused by plugins and that sort of thing, but that crash looks pretty integral to BIAB itself.

Maybe, if you know which of the .sty files this is happening on, you could send a copy of the style files themselves along with the first and third log files to support@pgmusic.com .

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help. frown

- Jay

MacPro 5,1/12 core@3.46GHz -- OS X 10.14.6 -- ATI 7970 -- 32 Gig RAM -- Crucial 500GB OS SSD -- Samsung EVO 1TB Audio/Sample SSD -- BIAB 2023 -- Logic Pro X -- Cubase Elements 11 -- Too many plugins
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Can you send the style to beta@pgmusic.com?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Andrew.

I'll send it along with an explanation.

Bob

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks for the report. The crash happens not when loading one of these styles, but when auditioning (either by double-clicking or via the green play button in the StylePicker) a style with a % symbol in the filename that does not have an audition file on the local disk. Since there are no audition files on the disk, it wants to search online, and gets stuck on the percent symbol.

StylePicker --> Actions --> Dialog Options --> uncheck "Use Internet". This will prevent the crash from happening. Alternatively, you could have audition files on disk. They are .m4a files with the same name as the .sty. These get saved in RealTracks/Data/Style Demos Audio.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Andrew.

I just turned my computer on, thunderstorms have been raging all day. It's the rainy season down here so I'm used to these kinds of days. They make everything outdoors nice and green.

I'll forward this to my customer, I'm sure she will be thrilled.

Again, thanks for the quick help.

I rarely need PG Music service, but when I do, I am always impressed and satisfied with the outcome. You all are the best.

Bob

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I just heard from our mutual customer.

Your work around does it, it's not crashing!!!!!

Thanks again,
Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,516
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193