Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
OP Offline
I am attempting to transfer my existing BIAB 2018 to a new PC and am running afoul of activation and licensing. The prompt box says to use menu-Help, Activation. This activation feature is itself not activated (!!!) and I'm unable to find any way to get this relatively simple task accomplished. Trying the live chat help for PG Music is useless since they're apparently too busy to respond.

I have released the license, restored it, tried all of the multiple Activation buttons, poked around in FAQs here and at PG Music and tried every available button or option. I'd appreciate any suggestions and thanks.

"We know what we are, but not what we may be"

- Noted bluesman Blind Will Shakespeare
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

You should first install the latest 2018 build.

To activate on a different PC you just need to go to Help | Activate (Not "restore", that is for re-activating a license on the same PC). If not working, what is the reason given / error message?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
OP Offline
I transferred all BIAB files last night from my old PC. In attempting to test BIAB, I get a prompt box stating

"Some features are disabled. Menu-Help-Activation to activate Program is not activated. Reason is: You can only use this copy of the program on one computer. If you want to use the program on a new computer, choose Menu Help Activation or Menu-Help=Restore".

So I read this as I'm being told to do something that the same prompt box said was not even activated. A search of the topics and index of the "help" doesn't even turn up any hits on the word "Restore" either, so I would appreciate a little help in what should have been a simple task and thank you.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
It sounds like you also copied the activated license 'ticket' files from your old PC. To fix this problem, (on your new PC) go to C:\Users\Public\Ticket and delete the bb*.ticket and bb*.bin files. Do that with Band-in-a-Box closed, and when you next launch it you should be able to activate.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
OP Offline
I have downloaded and installed BIAB as suggested above. I got what build was available from my account Downloads section, ran the .exe file and am still getting the same issues.

Anyone? Thanks.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Did you follow the instructions in my last post?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
OP Offline
Thank you, Andrew, your advice worked perfectly. Tell your boss I said you are underpaid.

Cheers,

Ed

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
It sounds like you also copied the activated license 'ticket' files from your old PC. To fix this problem, (on your new PC) go to C:\Users\Public\Ticket and delete the bb*.ticket and bb*.bin files. Do that with Band-in-a-Box closed, and when you next launch it you should be able to activate.

Hmm, I may have to do something on my setup for this. At present I'm building a lot of songs on my desktop PC, because I have a comgortable place to use it and two screens. The PC I'll use when I'm playing will be a small notepad ... it's about 12" diagonal wide-screen, so not really convenient for the job of building songs.

The obvious first issue is that I was under the impression I could install and use on multiple PCs, but your post suggests I'm mistake, unless I can flip back-and-forth with that restore. If that's the case, I presume I must remember to release the license on the desktop PC and reactivate the notepad, before I go to a session or I'll be stuck with no license on the notepad.

Help->Utilities in the manual refers to: "Special Options for Activation/De-Activation" but that isn't present on my Desktop. I thought I'd activated the notepad, but I appear mistaken.

The other issue appears trivial ... I plan to keep both PCs synchronised and obviously I need to exclude the license .bin and .Ticket files ... I presume licenses are fingerprinted to the particular PC.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
Help->Utilities in the manual refers to: "Special Options for Activation/De-Activation" but that isn't present on my Desktop. I thought I'd activated the notepad, but I appear mistaken.

The manual may need updating, since the system is simpler in Band-in-a-Box 2020. You just go to the Activation dialog and click Deactivate Online. This would deactivate the program on that PC and free up that one activation for another computer, using a single activation. To restore it, you can just click on "Activate Online" again (this was previously a separate button/dialog called "Release/Restore"). Activations are "per computer" and there are three available. The license files are stored in the C:\Users\Public folder.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Expert
Expert
Activations are "per computer" and there are three available.

That's what I thought I'd read, but failed to find it when I looked. So I can licence both the Desktop and the notepad. Excellent.

The license files are stored in the C:\Users\Public folder.

Oh, right. I wouldn't be synching that anyway.

Incidentally, my notepad copy is working OK, presumably with features missing, and I'm well past 30 days on it chronological. Is it use on 30 days, not necessarily continuous, or should it have complained by now?

Thanks Andrew.

BTW, FYI: BIAB seems to work _quite_ well in a VirtualBox under Win7 on Linux. My main reason for switching to a Win10 bootup was that I had too little space in the VM for the UltraPAK. I probably could have put that on the fileserver, but elected against. Obvious shortcoming: the audio has occasional clicks, presumably related to time-sharing and possibly tuneable. USB connections from hardware to VM are very patchy, so a MIDI keyboard is difficult, at best, to use. I may even have activated it there, prior to upgrading to the UltraPAK.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
If it wasn't activated properly you would definitely know about it. Also, you should see that it says "activated" in the About dialog.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199