You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#603390 - 06/23/20 11:03 AM [User Showcase] The Maiden's Tale
Loc: UK
Andyman Offline
Apprentice

A new original song which is influenced by many traditional folk ditties which tell of tragedy at sea.

Apart from the vocals, guitar solo & the waves at the end, everything else is a Realtrack. Enjoy.

RCKWLZM.STY:

RealDrums
778 - Ac Bass
861 - Elec Guitar
858 - Elec Guitar
856 - 12st Guitar

POPWLZLZ2.STY:

1188 - Ac Piano
1179 - Fiddle

RCKWALTZ.STY:

860 - Elec Guitar

BZSLWLZ.STY:

RT2214 - Bouzouki

https://soundcloud.com/andyshearer-1/the-maidens-tale

Edited by Andyman (06/26/20 04:52 AM)

#603431 - 06/23/20 01:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Great job, and so true to the genre. I liked everything about this--vocal harmonies were real nice, and well-placed. Excellent solo. In your lyric, the interior rhyming (within any given line) worked so well. Overall a top-notch composition and production. Thanks for putting this out there. Enjoyed it all.

#603517 - 06/24/20 05:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
EXCELLENT.
There's an occasional war between the vocal and the snare triggered reverb.
Your vocals are a treat.
There are some points where the vocal is quite aggressive - beginning of phrases mainly - that could use a little automation to address or a faster compressor.
The solo is ace but seems to be in a different room from the song...mismatch of reverb? Too much wet delay?
No matter - this is a cracker.
Cool.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#603605 - 06/24/20 05:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: rayc]
Andyman Offline
Apprentice

Thanks for the positive feedback, rayc.
I take your point about mismatch of reverb for the guitar solo and it maybe because of the echo effect I added using Audacity. I may spend a bit of time tweaking the live tracks at a later date. I'll reduce the echo on the guitar and take some reverb off the snare. Glad to hear you liked the song.

Edited by Andyman (06/24/20 05:50 PM)

#603608 - 06/24/20 06:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
Loc: SA, Australia
Ghostgum Offline
Apprentice

Haunting. Great example of the musical simplicity of the genre with well-chosen embellishments to enhance to mood.
A tragic tale well told, particularly the last verse -- she still sees her lover, yet not quite.

#603778 - 06/25/20 04:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Ghostgum]
Andyman Offline
Apprentice

Thanks for listening. Glad you liked it.
I meant to make the last verse ambiguous. Maybe she's a ghost who reappears whenever there is a storm ?

#603783 - 06/25/20 04:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
Ghostgum Offline
Apprentice

I confess I missed the ambiguity. Must listen to it again.

#603818 - 06/26/20 12:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maryland
Terrific job, I listen to a lot of music played at renaissance faires and this would fit right in. Liked the solo, and everything else about this one.

#603821 - 06/26/20 12:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Excellent choice of orchestration, and the choice of material is perfect to further demonstrate the enormous power that this program can deliver in the right hands.

Fantastic lyrics - no question, and the guitar break slots in just so well.

Great job, really great - start to finish, especially liked the waves at the end.
BIAB&RB2020(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#603828 - 06/26/20 01:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
Loc: Scottish Highlands
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
Brilliant. Really enjoyed the song. Lyrics, melody, backing and harmony just perfect

#603877 - 06/26/20 09:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

A good tale well written in a style I enjoy. I like your vocal timbre and phrasing ( though not completely convinced the double vocal, which I think goes throughout, wouldn`t be better used on just the refrain).
An excellent instrumental choice- the guitar solo especially well suited ( ok, I agree with RayC the reverb needs a tweak to make it gel.)
Excellent work - there`s not enough trad. folk on the forum - its good to hear someone who has a feel for the genre.

Robert

#603899 - 06/26/20 03:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
Loc: Chicago, IL
EdZ314 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Chicago, IL
Excellent. Everything in this is consistently high quality, nothing to detract from the perfectly captured traditional folk feel. It has a very nice feel, beginning, middle and end, and the waves were definitely a nice touch. The guitar solo was excellent, and as noted, just at the right place. Great work, and outstanding use of BIAB.

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

#603914 - 06/26/20 04:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
Andyman Offline
Apprentice

Many thanks for the positive comments including the constructive critiques. All of them are helpful and are much appreciated. So much so that I may come back to this song at a later date and have a bash at tackling one or two of the points that were highlighted. I felt good about this song while I was recording it as I'm quite fond and familiar with the genre, but as is always the case, there are always improvements to be made which don't reveal themselves immediately.
I think that I might even try writing more songs in this style in the future.

#603989 - 06/27/20 08:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
BabuMusic Offline
Journeyman

Really well done, Andy. I like when hearing a song when I can close my eyes and see the performers on stage. Really well sung and that solo is absolutely perfect.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box & Cakewalk

#604000 - 06/27/20 09:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: BabuMusic]
Andyman Offline
Apprentice

Thanks Marty. Glad you liked the guitar solo. Until BIAB came along, I was much better known as a guitarist than a singer or a songwriter. It's definitely helped me to develop some other skills.

#604002 - 06/27/20 09:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Expert

Andy,
very, VERY good composition, lyrics, vocals, everything! One of the best "new" folk theme tunes I have heard in long time. Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

#604145 - 06/28/20 07:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Andy,

Very well done. Seldom hear anyone truly capture the genre so well.
A solid write, true to the style.
The backing tracks are appropriate, as well.
And surprising how well that solo guitar fit in.

Nice vocals and harmonies.

Cool ending.

fj

#604193 - 06/28/20 12:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
You put those "many traditional ditties" influences to great use.

The excellent vocals and image rich write are backed up by an
outstanding selection of RealTracks.

Did you put any additional processing on the guitar solos?
They fit in really well.

Also the fiddle ... it seems to have just a hint of overdrive on it.
In a good way.

It's likley just the cool way it all fits together in the mix or my aging ears smile

Really nice!

J&B

#604242 - 06/28/20 04:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Andyman]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Andy, this is really great work! It's like I've stumbled across a missing Gordon Lightfoot cut! Great job on that guitar solo also! Thanks, Torrey

#604246 - 06/28/20 05:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Maiden's Tale [Re: Janice & Bud]
Andyman Offline
Apprentice

Many thanks J&B.

I used the 'Sweet Lead' effect from my 8-Track Boss BR-864 Digital Studio for the guitar solo, which was played on my Strat Plus DX. I chose that effect because I wanted it to really stand out, and I think the reason that worked so well was because it has a completely different reverb setting to the Realtracks. I also added a slight echo effect to the Strat solo using Audacity to add an extra dimension to the sound.
I used a Boss VE-20 for the main vocal and the harmony with a modest amount of echo for the majority of the song, but I then added more echo using Audacity for certain words or phrases (eg. "Now he's gone" and "Now she's gone" at the end of each verse).
The Boss VE-20 is a pretty low end piece of kit, and I don't always use it, but I guess it's okay for certain songs.

It's funny that you should mention the apparent overdrive on the fiddle because I wondered where that had come from myself at first. I found it particularly noticeable in the section between the end of the 2nd verse and the guitar solo, but then I realised that it is because I had increased the volume of it ever so slightly to cut through the Realtracks gritty rhythm guitar which comes in during the build up to the solo. At first I thought that I'd exceeded peak amplitude, but the volume meters didn't go into the red so I decided to leave it as it is.

I was also very happy with the transition from the relatively powerful solo section and the last verse which begins softly with just piano and bouzouki, but the most satisfying part is the point where the acoustic bass and percussion are re-introduced during the second line of the last verse.
When I tried it, I was pleasantly surprised how something that seemed so insignificant could have such a dramatic effect.
The ability to get good results by being creative and experimenting with different styles and Realtracks is a constant source of inspiration for me using BIAB.

Edited by Andyman (06/28/20 05:07 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video Testimonial - Dennis Dearing Talks Band-in-a-Box®

Dennis remembers Band-in-a-Box® from years ago, but his connection to Mike Harrison and hearing him talk about the RealTracks is what really got him excited about the program!

Hear his thoughts and see how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin for his projects with his Video Testimonial:

https://youtu.be/WqmtoxfJwDw

It's been a great addition to my workflow!
-Dennis Dearing

To learn more about Dennis, check out his testimonial page here.

You can create your own video testimonial letting people know how you use the program too! Learn how here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Polish for Windows is Here!

Dodaliśmy ponad 50 nowych funkcji do Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Są udoskonalenia ścieżek RealTracks (Delikatniej brzmiące wokale RealTracks, Pogrubianie RealTracks, funkcja "Znajdź odmianę" dla RealTracks i MultiRiffów). Większość RealDrums ma teraz RealCharts (z dokładną Notacją Bębnów). Jest nowa Przeglądarka Artystów RealTracks umożliwiające znalezienie informacji/biografii/linków/listy ścieżek RealTracks dla wszystkich artystów. Nowa Przeglądarka Funkcji pozwala nowym lub "zapominalskim" użytkownikom na łatwe znalezienie i użycie większości funkcji/skrótów/dokumentów z poziomu jednego okna. Funkcja Wyrównaj Tempo pozwala na zmianę utworu nagranego w rytmie rubato i dostosowanie go do ustalonego tempa. Udoskonalono funkcje rozciągania brzmień audio w czasie/wysokości dźwięku (Elastique). Są też udoskonalenia opcji Wybory Utworu, automatycznych wstępów na Basie/Bębnach lub tylko samych bębnach (Auto-Intros), dodano 3,400 tytułów, są udoskonalenia w zakresie MusicXML, mamy widok dla gitarzysty "Leworęcznego" oraz "Widok dla ucznia" przy grze na gitarze, udoskonalenia opcji Przeciągnij i Upuść, multi-okna wyświetlającego Magika Audio Akordów i wiele innych poprawek!

ZAKUP/UAKTUALNIJ & POBIERZ TERAZ!

Add-ons Special EXTENDED! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

DAW Plugin FAQs Resource!

We've added a new Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Mac FAQ to our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum - make sure you check it out!

This is where we'll be sharing any solutions we discover for frequent problems reported while working through our DAW Plugin tech support.

Like this post from Andrew: StylePicker does not see my styles and RealTracks, or they are showing as N/A.
Click here for the solution.

Windows user? Click here for your forum links.

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

An Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is Here!

The latest Band-in-a-Box 2020 update announcement is HUGE!

With this updated version, easily find your (purchased) Xtra Styles PAK 9 RealStyles in the updated StylePicker window, [ctrl] and [shift] shortcut keys will allow you to open your RealDrums picker and preferences windows with one 'click', there are improvements to Bar Based Lyric entry, stable playback of style demos, the UPDATED DAW Plugin is included, and more!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more!

We've made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Watch it...

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac b412 and download here.

Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and VST DAW Plugin for Windows!

Did you see the latest build update announcement for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows?

It’s PACKED with powerful updates, including additional RealCharts, improved RealStyles demos, language support, and significant additions and improvements to the DAW Plugin!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more! In fact, we’ve made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Click here to check it out.

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 b724 for Windows and download it here.

Forum Stats
32450 Members
68 Forums
65096 Topics
551511 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Richard W., Ukulele Joe, georgios, PALMA, newbestblog

32450 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 180
Jim Fogle 145