Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here we go again, a decade later

I deleted my post from yesterday about this primarily because there are so many other issues that are far more important that are weighing on my mind.

As I thought more about it, I concluded that all of those issues are beyond my control other than the right to vote this fall.

My original post about this problem was on 03/01/2010. Peter Gannon joined the debate and it lasted for a few days. To their credit, PG did isuue videos about a work around to address the problem about 4 years or so later. A "work around" should only be used when you are trying to do something that is outside of standard notation or tablature.

Something that isn't up for debate is how bluegrass music or fiddle tunes are notated. 99.9% of them are notated in 8th notes. The very few that are notated in 16th notes are done by people who have no understanding of the music. PG usually treats them as 16th notes.

So you may ask, "why is that a big deal?" I'll only offer one answer that should be more than sufficient. You can't take a piece of bluegrass sheet music music and enter it into BIAB as it is written in most so called bluegrass styles without using a work around.

I haven't upgraded BIAB since 2014 because of this issue. I don't plan on upgrading or recommending the program to ANYONE until this is corrected.

This may have been corrected in upgrades since then, but I'm not willing to spend hundreds of dollars to find out.

The default timing for bluegrass and most other acoustic music is 4/4 time and it's written in 8th notes. That should be reflected in all of the bluegrass or acoustic styles.

I hope that Peter Gannon weighs in on this as he did before.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

I don't read sheet music so I can't tell you if the issue is corrected or not. I hope someone can post it is because bluegrass and Band-in-a-Box otherwise complement each other like peanut butter and jelly.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Bob, you have been gone a long time. However, I don't think things have changed that much in regards to you interest. Here is a brief peek at what is in BIAB 2020.

The very bottom chart is from Nov 2019

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (251.53 KB, 477 downloads)
Capture1.JPG (210.38 KB, 477 downloads)
Capture3.JPG (280.17 KB, 477 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
bobcflatpicker:

I don't know if you are aware of this forum article or not but it is worth the read if you have not seen it. Peter Gannon shows how to modify any existing 16th based bluegrass style into an 8th based style. He even offers one to download and install.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=120359&Searchpage=13&Main=18709&Words=Bluegrass&Search=true#Post120359

I have been also griping about this for years now as I have been playing bluegrass since the early 70's.

Since it has been 11 years since I first brought this to their attention and it has not been corrected by PGMUSIC, I took it upon myself to modify my favorite bluegrass styles and saved them as I saw fit. I figured it was easier for me to spend about 1 hour doing this instead of waiting another 11 years for them to do it.

One can only hope.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jcland
bobcflatpicker:

I don't know if you are aware of this forum article or not but it is worth the read if you have not seen it. Peter Gannon shows how to modify any existing 16th based bluegrass style into an 8th based style. He even offers one to download and install.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=120359&Searchpage=13&Main=18709&Words=Bluegrass&Search=true#Post120359

I have been also griping about this for years now as I have been playing bluegrass since the early 70's.

Since it has been 11 years since I first brought this to their attention and it has not been corrected by PGMUSIC, I took it upon myself to modify my favorite bluegrass styles and saved them as I saw fit. I figured it was easier for me to spend about 1 hour doing this instead of waiting another 11 years for them to do it.

One can only hope.

I would feel differently about it if I were asking them to do something outside of the box.

I'm just asking them to do it right.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Did I miss something here? I thought the issue was about "notation" not about tempo settings. I assume how the tracks actually play and sound is not an issue because it sounds like bluegrass to me.

But I don't want to open old wounds so, nevermind. crazy

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's obvious that PG Music knows they have a demand for bluegrass styles or they wouldn't have created so many of them.

What is insulting is that they believe most of us won't realize they are substituting 16th notes instead of using 8th notes as transcribed in 99.9% of written bluegrass music.

Is BIAB unable to process these styles at faster tempos?

If that is the case, at least have the decency to say that's why you notate it incorrectly!

This was frustrating when I started a thread about it 10 years ago. It still hasn't been fixed. Does anyone want to take a guess about how it feels 10 years later?

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Since there hasn't been a response from PG Music, I guess I should just accept they are never going to fix it.

It wouldn't be as bad if I hadn't praised PG Music for their outstanding customer service to friends and fellow musicians over the years.

What really sucks is that PG Music knows for a fact that what I'm saying is 100% correct. And still they refuse to correct it.

I'm done with PG Music as far as BIAB is concerned. I still have friends on the forum so I'll participate there to stay in touch with them. But I'll never again recommend the program to anyone.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hi Bob. I don't know the first thing about bluegrass but I do have some information that may help.

I just loaded a demo that had most of the melody in 16th notes, and fixed it rather easily.

In the last couple of years with the new GUI, you do Edit, Song Form, Expand. [This was possible before, but the menu command changed in 2018; same function.] Expand doubles the length of the song, doubles the tempo, and makes the melody notated in mostly eighth notes as you want.

Then I went through the RealTracks that were playing frantically and changed each of them one by one to play Half-time. This feature has been possible for several years now.

What is more recent is something I asked for and got only a few years ago: the ability to alter the RealDrums the same way. You now have the option to make the RealDrums Half-time, which is needed in this example. Note that I had a similar reason to make this request like yours: all the BIAB sambas are written at tempos of around quarter = 200, when most sambas in the real world are composed in 2/2 time using tempos close to half = 100. Much easier to read!

Put it all together and it sounds adequate to me (but again, for bluegrass, I wouldn't really know).

So, to answer your original question, BIAB has not to my knowledge introduced styles that meet your request, but it DOES now have the tools necessary to construct them, if a bit awkwardly.

And has anyone made the request in the Wishlist in the last two years, now that we do have a half-time option in RealDrums? Worth a try.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Matt,

Thanks for your response. I did post this issue on the Wish List before I started a thread on the Off Topic forum 10 years ago.

It's not that this problem is an unknown issue. PG Music including Peter Gannon have been aware of it for more than a decade.

Awkward work around's just aren't the same as doing it right in the first place.

I hope you and yours are doing well through these troubling times.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Doing fine, Bob, except for not playing any concerts!

So I’m confused. Did you also post this recently in the Wishlist? Or just ten years ago? My point is that BIAB should now be able to do this easily, since the addition of timebase changes in both RealTracks and now RealDrums.

I will pass a message on to the developers anyway. If you have a recent request in the Wishlist with a good problem description, please post the link here. Otherwise I’ll just link to this thread.

Stay well.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Matt,

I haven't posted it on the wish list recently. Just more than a decade ago and then I started the thread in March of 2010 on the Off Topic forum.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could get the developers to correct this or at least give a serious look at it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bobflatpicker March 01, 2010 thread: +++ BIAB and its HUGE problem in handling bluegrass/newgrass/jazzgrass/Dawg +++

June 11, 2010 follow up thread: +++ Bluegrass styles in 8th notes, tempo ranges from 160-220 +++

There is one quote from the original request that is worth repeating.
Quote:
This has kept a lot of my friends from buying BIAB because when I show it to them, they are impressed by its capabilities but say “they don’t understand bluegrass”, and they are right.

+1 in support of the request.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Jim, Bob and others: I did report this to the developers yesterday.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It's worth taking the time to read through the thread Bobflatpicker started a decade ago. It is a nice, civil discussion with input from current members like Notes Norton, Jford and Silvertones but also from former members like Mac.

Peter Gannon made a comment about the midi bluegrass styles worth repeating:

Quote:
BTW, most if not all of the MIDI bluegrass, newgrass etc. styles that we've done (even and swing) were played in live on MIDI instruments (typically MIDI guitar), and not quantized.

Seems like we were using SuperMidiTracks before they were famous! grin

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
Two things stick out in re-reading these old threads.

1. From PG Music themselves: From Mr. Gannon: "We should have a converter, that takes any style and changes it (save-as) from 8th note based to 16th (or vice versa). Then all of the bluegrass styles would be available as 8th or 16th. I'll add that to the to do list."

This was back in 2010. Ten years later, we still don't have this 'converter' they were going to put on the To Do list.

2. "BB doesn't support 2/2 notation, so we write the notation in 4/4, with 16th notes."

Go to TablEdit.Com and look at the bluegrass tabs. I personally have hundreds and hundreds of them written in 4/4 time using 8th notes for the most part and playing at between 140 to 260 BPM, depending on the song. I have been playing bluegrass since back in the very early 70's and have been taught by some of the best players around, some of them veteran studio musicians. I have 100+ bluegrass books in my collection, many of them going back to the mid 60's. I have 18 3" binders all filled with tabs and songs I have collected over my 50+ years, both Flatpick Guitar and Banjo. I have the entire Banjo News Letter collection dating back to 1973 full of tablatures and the entire Frets Magazine collection. All of the songs are written in 4/4 time using 8th notes per measure, not 16th notes.

Now no one is going to tell me that for the past 50 years I have been involved in bluegrass that all these teachers and all these books are wrong and PG Music is right.

The problem is that they DON'T understand how bluegrass is played or written. That is a fact. I saw that when I 1st started using BIAB back when it came on Floppy Disks. I put up with it simply because it plays correctly but it certainly is NOT written correctly for that genre.

The converter you talked about would be a godsend for the hundreds, perhaps thousands of bluegrass musicians throughout the world who love and use your product and faithfully return year after year to upgrade. I know I would.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks to all who have weighed in on this. I do appreciate it.

To those who haven't weighed in I have a few simple questions.

What if your favorite musical style was notated wrong in BIAB? What if that had severe implications in how you would use BIAB? What if your beliefs were supported by almost 100% of written music?

What if you had supported their product by upgrading for almost 20 years in hopes they would eventually fix it?

How would you feel about that?

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 07/06/20 05:44 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A friend of mine who is an excellent guitarist was approached by Mel Bay to do an instruction book/cd for fiddle tunes. He explained to them that he doesn't read music or use tab.

They told him "no problem. Just play the songs at tempo and then play them slow and we'll have someone notate/tab them." He did and they put out a book/cd combo. I bought the combo and was surprised to see that Mel Bay had notated it in 16th notes. I started to ask my friend about it and decided not to because I knew for a fact that the guy wouldn't know 16th note notation from 8th note notation since he doesn't use either. Everything he does is by ear.

That book is the only one I've ever seen that notates bluegrass/fiddle tunes/traditional music in 16ths. All of the others notate the styles in 8ths.

PG knows that creating these styles in 16ths is incorrect. It would be a simple fix for them to create all of those styles in 8ths and release it in the update at the end of the year. They wouldn't need to do away with the 16th styles, just duplicate those styles in 8ths as they should be.

That's really not much to ask of them. Especially since they know for a fact the current styles are incorrect. It's not even debatable at this point.

I would love to upgrade this winter when the new version is released but I'll never purchase or recommend another PG Music product until they fix it. I've been asking them to do it for over a decade.

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
I just want to be able to take a song “as written”, and enter the progression into BIAB and use bluegrass styles. These songs are written in 8th’s. We could debate swing 8th's versus even 8th's, but they are still 8th's.

I have been at it for a decade also, I started out a nice guy smile

I remember opening bluegrass songs in TablEdit and I think they were all as you described, though I'm not musical enough to get it all.
EDIT: I remember now that was the issue, I had to halve them to fit the Biab tracks.

This is the free TablEdit player
http://www.tabledit.com/tefview/download.shtml

you can download free flatpicking etc.. .tef tabs

http://www.tabledit.com/links/tabarchives.shtml

http://www.flatpickingtabs.com/

https://www.flatpickerhangout.com/

http://www.flatpickingtabs.com/indianhills.htm

just google them...

Full Screen Pic

Last edited by Pipeline; 07/25/20 11:40 AM.
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I can put a Biab 16ths 100bpm into Reaper at 200bpm 8ths.
So I can enter the notes correctly to fit the Biab tracks.
The midi from Biab is halved (set rate=0.5)
The chords are imported with mxml.
Because the tracks are at 100bpm 16 instead of 200bpm 8 you will only get a maximum of 2 chords per bar.
Will think about it more in the morning.

Full Screen Pic

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,510
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195