Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Funkifized
<...snip...> However, I am quite interested in how one makes MIDI tracks sound realistically like real instruments. Clearly you have a good sense of envelopes, dynamics, what to do with note-off commands, etc., for different instrument sounds.

It's easy. I record them live, in real time using the appropriate MIDI controller then I use a good MIDI sound source to play them back.

I do this when I make my Norton Music aftermarket styles. Everything gets recorded live, in real time, using the appropriate MIDI controller.

You have to record "Real Tracks" in real time so there is no difference there.

Of course with MIDI you can step-enter a part in a style but I never do that, it doesn't sound musical to me.

I use a lot of my own MIDI styles for that reason. I played all the parts into a MIDI sequencer in real time and then imported them into BiaB.

There are plenty of PG Music MIDI styles that are also well done (I wish had written some of them myself). I use these quite a lot as well.

I never use BiaB to play a melody or solo. Why? Playing solos or the melody is the most fun part for me, so why should I let the machine have all the fun?

At it's core Band-in-a-Box is the best auto-accompaniment program on the market. Auto-accompaniment is what BiaB started out as, new features have been added, expanding the capabilities of BiaB, but it still is primarily auto-accompaniment.

It's easier to change dynamics and other expressive devices on the comp parts than it would be if I tried to do that with the melody or solo.

One nice thing about playing melodies or solos into a sequencer in real time via MIDI is that if you hit a wrong note and keep going, you can fix the note without changing the expression of the part you played in.

On difficult parts, I'll practice them before recording until they are under my fingers. Occasionally even after practice I might flub a note or two, easy fix. I've learned to play with conviction and not be concerned about a wrong note or two.

Most of the time I get it right though, and sometimes I play too many wrong notes which means I just haven't practiced enough first - back to the woodshed.

I'm most particular when writing my styles. They get the most practice before recording and eventually inputting into the BiaB StyleMaker. It would really bother me to sell something with my name on it that I could have done better, so the extra time and work is a matter of pride.

So you export the MIDI file as generated by BIAB, and use your algorithms to make the MIDI notes perform like a real player. What now, though? The only place you can import these edited MIDI files back into BIAB is the Melody track or the Soloist track, correct?

I do preliminary work in Band-in-a-Box, export to a DAW, finish the work there, and never import back into BiaB. Why? Although I am a huge fan of BiaB and think it is a genius app, it has its limitations. There are things I can do in my DAW or MIDI Sequencer that won't go back into BiaB. One example would be ritardando and accelerando. BiaB can't do these subtle or sometimes gross expressive devices on a gradual basis (there are plenty of other examples).

Again, if you edit out the third of the chord in a MIDI editor, how do you import the MIDI file back into guitar part of the generated BIAB part?

I generate the parts first in BiaB, then export the very good BiaB music to a DAW and turn that very good output into something better.

I suppose you could do the same in RealBand, but I prefer single dedicated apps to multi-purpose ones. Not that either is better or worse, just personal preference.

I've done with in sequencing bands before, and even done some sequencing. Usually the way to make the sequences sound more like real players had to do more with pushing the notes a little ahead or behind the best to make the phrasing more human, applying staccatos in creative places, alternating note ending times so that horn sections sounded more like separate players, etc. I almost had to spend as much time adding sloppiness to the parts than the time spent getting the right notes in.

Exactly!!!

Besides for pushing and delaying some beats to create a groove, there are also subtle things you can do like put the bass a couple of ticks in front of the kick drum to bring out the notes or a couple of ticks behind to bring out the thud of the kick drum. Move the crash cymbal a bit ahead for some aggression and so on.

BiaB styles are by their nature rather generic. They have to be. When I was new at writing styles, a customer asked for an Elvis Presley "Don't Be Cruel" style, so I wrote one. Trying to play that sequence, with it's signature guitar figure on another song just 'shouts' "Don't Be Cruel"

After exporting my BiaB song as a MIDI file, I can add any song-specific licks I want, change instrument sounds (that Rhodes might sound better as a Grand piano), move drum rolls around, change cowbells to ride cymbals (or omit them), add rit or accel and other tempo changes, change the inversion of some chords, add rhythmic kicks that the generic BiaB shot won't do, add an extended intro or ending, get rid of 3rds in "power chord" intervals, and a zillion other things that cannot be done with audio tracks.

However, when I hear sounds like Indiginus Blue Steel horn sounds, where they have effects to applied to the notes specifically to reproduce the sounds that a player may make, I wonder how those note could be edited and then imported back into BIAB. I'm not a keyboard player, but I'm not sure why I couldn't generate the MIDI notes from Finale, and then edit them with agorithms particular to horn parts, or guitar parts, etc.? However, again, can I then import them back into BIAB, or is there some way to do this editing right in BIAB and the freeze the track from regenerating?

IMO The best way to input horn parts is with a Wind MIDI controller. It takes a better keyboard player than I to get the subtle dynamics a horn player does naturally with breath. If they are just horn stabs or background sustain chords with little dynamics, I'll use the keyboard.

Same for drum parts. I use a drum controller.

I do this when I make my styles as well. Drum parts with a drum controller, wind instrument parts with a wind MIDI controller, keyboard parts with a keyboard MIDI controller, and so on.

There is more than one tool in my toolbox. Different music apps and different MIDI controllers. I try to use the most appropriate tool for the job.

In the years I've been doing this, I get better at it (practice eventually makes perfect).

And since it's music, it's all play.

If I wanted to listen to someone else's music I'd put on a CD or stream something. When playing with the music, the time passes too quickly as it does when I'm having fun.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
Very well stated! grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

It's easy. I record them live, in real time using the appropriate MIDI controller then I use a good MIDI sound source to play them back.

I do this when I make my Norton Music aftermarket styles. Everything gets recorded live, in real time, using the appropriate MIDI controller.

So, do you use guitar synth controllers and brass synth controllers?

Of course with MIDI you can step-enter a part in a style but I never do that, it doesn't sound musical to me.

Maybe. My floundering around on an instrument that I don't play could be a lot less musical, though. I wondered that back when I was working with a keyboard player who sequenced. I never felt that his bass parts sounded right. Too staccatto. He considered bringing in a guitar synth so that I could play the bass parts more "live", but that never materialized. However on a static bass part with 8th notes, I pointed out that his staccato notes generated from the keyboard would be much better served as legato into each other. He elongated the notes and the whole part grooved much better.

I never use BiaB to play a melody or solo. Why? Playing solos or the melody is the most fun part for me, so why should I let the machine have all the fun?

I agree, but often I'm putting together practice tracks for my students, with and without melody. The younger kids have a hard time understanding the Melody if it doesn't sound like it's the same instrument. If it's a uke, I can play it on the guitar, but being able to step-entet notes that sound like a uke would be easier.

One nice thing about playing melodies or solos into a sequencer in real time via MIDI is that if you hit a wrong note and keep going, you can fix the note without changing the expression of the part you played in.

I've often thought about that. In defiance to my old keyboardist's insistence of "garbage in,garbage out", why couldn't I play a part piece-meal, with rhythmic and dynamic conviction, but with a lot of my [*****]-up notes, and fix the notes later, as the phrasing and attacks are still preserved?

I generate the parts first in BiaB, then export the very good BiaB music to a DAW and turn that very good output into something better.

But then how do you get that better output back into BIAB as a style?

IMO The best way to input horn parts is with a Wind MIDI controller. It takes a better keyboard player than I to get the subtle dynamics a horn player does naturally with breath. If they are just horn stabs or background sustain chords with little dynamics, I'll use the keyboard.

What about brass parts? Do you use a trumpet MIDI controller? I watched someone use the breath-control tube for a keyboard to get realistic horn parts in Beatles tunes a few years ago.

Same for drum parts. I use a drum controller.

Same thought here. Keyboard players tend to play these on on keyboards and then quantize. My old keyboard player felt that the majority of the parts needed to be played in. However, he played them in on a keyboard, which seems to defeat the purpose.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< But then how do you get that better output back into BIAB as a style? >>>

BIAB generated tracks whether it's MIDI generated or RealTracks/RealDrums generated that have been edited and improved in a DAW can be returned to a BIAB project and replace the BIAB part or parts as User created Artist Performance Tracks (APT).

APT's can be whatever you create. APT's can be created from every sound media source recognized by BIAB.

The best way to get that better audio back into BIAB is simply import the audio back onto the Audio Channel and make the import permanent as an APT.

Here's a few reasons why and some Examples:

. An APT can be created from any single instrument, it doesn't matter if it's MIDI or RealTrack/RealDrum;
. An APT can be created with or without BIAB dynamics and plug-ins added;
. An APT can be created with volume settings, panning applied;
. An APT can be created from multiple BIAB Mixer Channels;
. An APT can be created from any BIAB Style;
. An APT created from multiple BIAB Mixer Channels can be any mixture of MIDI, MIDI Super Tracks, RealTracks, RealDrums, Samples, Loops, Live Audio and Pre-Recorded Audio;
. An APT can be created from a Channel using RealTracks can have up to 10 variations of RealTracks on that Channel;
. An APT, once it's created can easily be removed and the Channel returned to its prior state and instrument residing on the Channel before conversion to an APT;
. An APT automatically freezes the Track it's on from regeneration;
. An APT automatically saves a WAV or WMA file of the track exactly as it is at the time the Channel is converted to an APT;
. An APT automatically names the WAV or WMA file of the track;
. An APT automatically created WAV or WMA file can be imported into RealBand providing the ability to import 'Frozen' tracks that do not open when opening a BIAB song;
. An APT works with all versions, formats and years of BIAB that accept audio. (At least since 2014 releases)
. An APT is easy to share between collaborators regardless if the participants have different year and different model versions;
. An APT track retains volume settings, panning, dynamics and VST Plug-in data so Plug-Ins do not have to be reloaded into the project;

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,690
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200