Go To
User Showcase
D
djames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Hi all, this is my 4th BIAB song and if you've listened to any of my other 3 songs this one is very different.

This started as an exercise on a songwriting retreat last year, the task was to write acapella with the subject being "the last time....".

I had had the phrase 'a permanent reaction to a temporary phase' in my mind for some time and it seemed the perfect time to use it.

Lyrically it's gone through a few re-writes but I think it's finally finished, though I still can't quite decide on the title.

Lyric video at: https://www.djhsongs.co.uk/osl-lastgoodbye

THE LAST GOODBYE / A PERMANENT REACTION

As the light starts to fade
To the darkest of shades
Like shadows we fall into the gloom
All of your friends
Share memories that won't end
And answers we can only assume

Lost and adrift in this life you had lived
I guess you weren't made for these times

Chorus
Such a permanent reaction to a temporary phase
Not something on which you should rely
For all of your pain if we could take it away
Stop the last time that you said goodbye

The last time we spoke
I sensed there was hope
When you said you would see me around
And you promised to call
If you felt it was all
Too much and you needed to be found

But lost and adrift in this life you had lived
I guess you weren't made for these times

Chorus
To stop the last time that you said goodbye

Now that you're gone
Can you see you were wrong
As we gather for our final goodbye
For the love that you craved
From the cradle to the grave
It was here for you all the time

Chorus
Stop the last time that you said goodbye

The last time that you said goodbye

Style is _CELLOW2.STY (Dual Cello Waltz)

RealTracks in style: ~1121:Bass, Acoustic, CountryWaltz Sw 085
RealTracks in style: 831:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment Pop BouncyWaltz Sw 085
RealTracks in style: 2557:Cello, Background SlowWaltz Sw 085
RealTracks in style: 2557:Cello, Background SlowWaltz Sw 085
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleWaltzSw^6-a:HiHat , b:Sidestick, Hihat

I did use some other additional guitar RealTracks as well.

Thanks for listening, and thanks to BIAB for creating the wonderful music!

David

My BIAB Songs

BIAB 2021 PlusPAK, Reaper, W10
User Showcase
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
David, that's a pretty nice song. I especially like the near-middle part at around 1:35 where it goes into the refrain "For all of your pain.." The cellos blend well and the vocal sits nicely in the middle, with a nice mellow delivery. The string solos also add a nice touch.

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello David ...

i really like this. it's very pretty and has a nice build in the lyric and music. Love the cellos! That was a real sweet listen. perhaps, bring the voice just a wee bit more forward in the mix ... not much, just a small amount. I liked the final verse where your vocal really stands out.

Very nice, indeed. best to you. be safe ...

Alan

PS: I think the title you have used for this post is a good fit for the song.

Last edited by Al-David; 06/18/20 06:42 PM.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David, an intimate, gentles, contemplative song but it's frequently interrupted by aggressive sibilant sounds.
To retain the intimacy you'll need to address the essing at least. It can be minimized during tracking and there're a few ways to address it in the box.
It'd be well worth investing the time.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Gently flowing, easy on the ear. I enjoyed my listen.

My music may not set the world on fire but if it causes a glow in just one person's heart, it has all been worthwhile smile
User Showcase
G
Journeyman
Journeyman
G
I would like to hear you do this song again transposed 4 semi-tones higher.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I liked it all the way through. And I like your title.

I do have one suggestion for improvement: You've chose some really interesting words in the Chorus: 'permanent" and "temporary". They are 3- and 4-syllable words among mostly 1- and 2-syllable words in the song, so they give a real nice little pickup. But, in your mix, I couldn't clearly hear these words completely--the end of "permanent" and those last two syllables of "temporary" got a bit muddled--and they are too nice not to gently punch out. You may not notice it because you're probably real familiar with the lyric and you know what's coming on that line, but for a first-time listener (especially if they don't have the lyric in front of them), they might miss your really excellent choice of words!!

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Very pretty song!! Wonderfully emotional!! Beautiful use of the strings and very strong vocal! Well done in every way!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David,

You have made great progress with your 4th number! A very nice melody and nicely sung.
The instruments, and more the cello, the violin, doing a great job on it. I really liked it.

But I agree with some here about the sibbilance and the 'swallowing' of some words or syllables.
I can understand you had to do this to keep in line with the rhythm of the lyrics and song, but it is not a nice way to sing like that.
And something else you asked about the song title. I think this one gives an association with another type of song like 'the last farewell'. Maybe you can call it 'The last time'? Of course that is up to you, but you asked us...

Keep up the good songs,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi David
A tragic subject sensitively handled. Well done.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
Hi David,

It is a nice song!

Thanks for sharing!
Will

User Showcase
D
djames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Hi all and thank you for taking the time to listen and for all the great feedback, apologies for the late response!

I did take on board all the advice regards the vocal, but I always knew my voice wasn't what I wanted.

Fortunately I have found a fantastic singer and I think he's done a wonderful job. He has such emotion in his voice, it has that worn, torn at the edges quality - which I love.

It made my wife cry which my vocal didn't do so I don't think you can ask for better than that :-)

Also I did decide to call it "A Permanent Reaction (To A Temporary Phase)". The final lyric video is here:

https://www.djhsongs.co.uk/osl-apermanentreaction

Thanks again for listening and hope you like it.

I've replied to the comments below,

Cheers,
David

Originally Posted By: EdZ314
David, that's a pretty nice song. I especially like the near-middle part at around 1:35 where it goes into the refrain "For all of your pain.." The cellos blend well and the vocal sits nicely in the middle, with a nice mellow delivery. The string solos also add a nice touch.

Thanks Ed, it's a bit of a clumsy line but I think the meaning comes through.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello David ...

i really like this. it's very pretty and has a nice build in the lyric and music. Love the cellos! That was a real sweet listen. perhaps, bring the voice just a wee bit more forward in the mix ... not much, just a small amount. I liked the final verse where your vocal really stands out.

Very nice, indeed. best to you. be safe ...

Alan

PS: I think the title you have used for this post is a good fit for the song.

Thanks Alan, I do tend to keep my vocal down in the mix as it's just a guide, but the new one is about the right level - I hope!

Originally Posted By: rayc
David, an intimate, gentles, contemplative song but it's frequently interrupted by aggressive sibilant sounds.
To retain the intimacy you'll need to address the essing at least. It can be minimized during tracking and there're a few ways to address it in the box.
It'd be well worth investing the time.

Thanks Ray, I find it quite difficult to get a good vocal sound, I did spend some time trying to de-ess the vocal as suggested but I did admit defeat in the end! I might have to look at a new mic.

Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Gently flowing, easy on the ear. I enjoyed my listen.

Thanks Ghostgum

Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
I would like to hear you do this song again transposed 4 semi-tones higher.

Hi Gary, I did try 4 up, just on guitar, but it was a bit too high, though 2 up was a reasonable compromise and if I were to play and sing it live I would stick with 2 up. With writing it acapella and quietly I was in my lower voice.

Originally Posted By: Tano Music
I liked it all the way through. And I like your title.

I do have one suggestion for improvement: You've chose some really interesting words in the Chorus: 'permanent" and "temporary". They are 3- and 4-syllable words among mostly 1- and 2-syllable words in the song, so they give a real nice little pickup. But, in your mix, I couldn't clearly hear these words completely--the end of "permanent" and those last two syllables of "temporary" got a bit muddled--and they are too nice not to gently punch out. You may not notice it because you're probably real familiar with the lyric and you know what's coming on that line, but for a first-time listener (especially if they don't have the lyric in front of them), they might miss your really excellent choice of words!!

It's a bit embarrassing but when I wrote it I actually wrote "tempory", and as I'd used my handwritten lyric when I did the vocal, it wasn't until I typed it up for the lyric video that I realised it was wrong. The new vocal has all the syllables :-)

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very pretty song!! Wonderfully emotional!! Beautiful use of the strings and very strong vocal! Well done in every way!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg, "Wonderfully emotional" is fantastic, thank you, hope you like the new vocal which I think gives it even more emotion!

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi David,

You have made great progress with your 4th number! A very nice melody and nicely sung.
The instruments, and more the cello, the violin, doing a great job on it. I really liked it.

But I agree with some here about the sibbilance and the 'swallowing' of some words or syllables.
I can understand you had to do this to keep in line with the rhythm of the lyrics and song, but it is not a nice way to sing like that.
And something else you asked about the song title. I think this one gives an association with another type of song like 'the last farewell'. Maybe you can call it 'The last time'? Of course that is up to you, but you asked us...

Keep up the good songs,
Hans

Hi Hans, and thank you for following my BIAB career so far! (I'm not a quick worker but I am working on a couple of new ones - hoping to have my 5th up later this week called "In Time", which won't be a guide vocal so no more sibilance and messy vocals from me.)

I did um and ahh about the title but also thought The Last Time or The Last Goodbye sounds like it could be a relationship song, so in the end decided to go with the 1st line from the chorus.

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi David
A tragic subject sensitively handled. Well done.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks Leon, it was a challenging write but I'm very happy with how it came out.

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Hi David,

It is a nice song!

Thanks for sharing!
Will

Thanks Will, mind you if I didn't share it here, it would only get heard by about 10 people :-)

Cheers!

My BIAB Songs

BIAB 2021 PlusPAK, Reaper, W10
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,565
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200