Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hello,

I just got a Dell inspiron 15 7000 2 in 1 laptop.

The audio out sound quality is nowhere near what my old laptop is.
The bass and everything from BIAB sounds lacking.

It is the sound out of the audio out jack, analog to my amplifier

Somehow not enough depth.

Has anyone had similar experiences with this other laptops?

My old one was an HP Pavilion Dv6 (old).

I am probably going to return the new laptop.

But :

What is a good laptop to get for BIAB and audio purpose?

Or am I missing something?

Edit:
I just tried a USB to audio converter on the new laptop.
Interestingly, the audio quality from that is just about the same as then internal amplifier/line out.

Last edited by berntd; 07/01/20 10:03 PM.

Band in a Box
Latest: ULTRA 2020 (734) on Win 10
And: MEGA 2020 (720) on Windows 7

Journeyman
Journeyman
Some of us use USB interfaces. I have a Presonus Audiobox. It connects to a USB port then I have a PA system attached. You can also use powered monitors with them.

Another common brand is Focusrite.

...Deb

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A PA system? Are those not just for voice and public addressing with emphasis on mid and high frequency?

Band in a Box

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: berntd
A PA system? Are those not just for voice and public addressing with emphasis on mid and high frequency?

Not if you connect to the proper powered monitors specifically designed for the task.

Here is a decent priced pair for general home studio use.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ErisE3.5BT--presonus-eris-3.5-bt-3.5-inch-powered-studio-monitors-with-bluetooth-pair

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
ok, but we digress, i need to get a new laptop to my amp to as great as the old one.

I have just tried a Behringer UMC202HD interface. It does sound better on that laptop but still not as good as the old laptop directly. (old laptop states "beatsAudio) on it.

Band in a Box

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
ok, but we digress, i need to get a new laptop to my amp to sound as great as the old one.

I have just tried a Behringer UMC202HD interface. It does sound better on that laptop but still not as good as the old laptop directly. (old laptop states "beatsAudio) on it.

"Beats Audio is an enhanced audio controller that brings a deep bass and clear sound. "

We're not digressing. Your Behringer interface bypasses the soundcard of your laptop and replaces it as the amplifier for the software output. Your older laptop produced low end enhanced audio boosting the bass output.

<<< It is the sound out of the audio out jack, analog to my amplifier >>>

You should no longer connect this way. Use the Behringer UMC202HD interface instead. Connect the audio outputs from the interface to your amplifier. It will still be an analog connection.

<<< I am probably going to return the new laptop. What is a good laptop to get for BIAB and audio purpose? >>>

No need to return the new laptop. Use the output of the UMC202HD interface. The issue is your ears are use to the Bass Boost of the older computer output. The Behrnger UMC202Hd interface will provide you clearer and better balanced analog output than your older computer or the new computer soundcards.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 07/02/20 01:54 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Charlie:

I'm intrigued by this but I need some clarification.
How does the sound get from the laptop to the Behringer interface?
I watched Behringer's video on the hookup and it appears the interface connects via USB.
Does that connection provide power AND the sound? (since you stated "Your Behringer interface bypasses the soundcard")

berntd stated that neither the headphone jack nor the "USB to audio converter" worked to his expectations.
I guess I'm missing something.
Help!
Thanks!
LLOYD S

Veteran
Veteran
"The bass and everything from BIAB"...

How about Youtube, or some other source, not from BIAB, still sound "thin"?

Expert
Expert
Hi

I have always had this problem when using the sound from a laptops headphone skt.
So I feed that to a pair of Behringer MS20 near field monitors these have their own bass and treble controls and amplifier.

Even so because I need it for other reasons I normally forget the internal sound and use my Akai pro usb audio interface but even then I still send the output from this to my Behringer speakers.

Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Expert
Expert
Deb likes 'em loud cry ...

No one seems to mention NOT to use the audio (headphone) outs if you can avoid it. Youll nead preferably a line out for that.

Usually laptops have one USB controller chip which makes them less useful for f.i. BIAB and a separate USB audiobreak outbox, used together,
especially when (internally) the mouse and keyboard uses the same controller.

Luckily USB audio data transfer is not that intensive, but if you run Audiophile from it's external drive, might be too much?

I use a Steinberg UC22 occasionally got it new for about 100 euro. Works fine.

Veteran
Veteran
Just a guess, but perhaps your old HP Pavilion had an equalization setting turned on, boosting the bass, and you grew to like that. Now that you hear sound 'flat', you are not used to it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Now that you hear sound 'flat', you are not used to it.

^^^^This here. I believe that would be the reason as well.

As others said, you shouldn't be sending your sound out of the headphone jack of the laptop. It should be going to the sound interface via USB.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
That's right about the headphone jack. A headphone jack provides neither the right voltage (unless you get really lucky) nor the right impedance to match a line-level signal.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
One of my rare disagreements with you Matt. Years ago Mac went around and around with people saying the same thing, the headphone outs of a laptop are not that good. That was true maybe 10-15 years ago but not in the modern world. As you know you basically count the age of a computer in dog years so 12 years ago is ancient history.

Newer laptops all have versions of HD sound built in so people can play movies, stream music and play HD games on them. The sound is fine. I used to run the headphone outs to my mixer in my home studio with no problem. You can also just use a splitter and go direct to powered monitors, people do that all the time too. The only issue is if you run the laptop with the power plugged in. That can put a weird static noise into the output and maybe even that has been filtered out on new ones. Run on the battery it's clear as a bell.

Berntd's problem is he's used to BeatzBass. That is a very high bass boost for hip hop and rap. Beats was created by Dr Dre who became the first hip hop billionaire when he partnered with Apple. If he wants more bass he can use these:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MHA22AM/B/beats-pro-over-ear-headphones-black

Or, get a good interface and run the audio out to a good monitor system. Any good mixer can boost the bass all you want.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
In the past I was successful in running the laptop headphone audio direct to mixer or PA with very good results. And yes, today things are different in Win 10.

Check this out, it may help with the issue. This is actually a lot more configuration with these ports today.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-audio-sounds-tinny-when-headphones-are/014e1023-12f3-4b78-8d7e-20190d0afd50?auth=1

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Lloyd S
Charlie:

I'm intrigued by this but I need some clarification.
How does the sound get from the laptop to the Behringer interface?
I watched Behringer's video on the hookup and it appears the interface connects via USB.
Does that connection provide power AND the sound? (since you stated "Your Behringer interface bypasses the soundcard")

berntd stated that neither the headphone jack nor the "USB to audio converter" worked to his expectations.
I guess I'm missing something.
Help!
Thanks!
LLOYD S

Correct. The interface connects through USB and the device is powered by the USB and it's a 2x2 interface.

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
"The bass and everything from BIAB"...

How about Youtube, or some other source, not from BIAB, still sound "thin"?

Yes. Most noticable on youtube actually. Especislly if there is an acoustic bass present.

Band in a Box

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Now that you hear sound 'flat', you are not used to it.

^^^^This here. I believe that would be the reason as well.

As others said, you shouldn't be sending your sound out of the headphone jack of the laptop. It should be going to the sound interface via USB.

My old laptop is not overly bass boosted but I think it's frequency responce starts lower. I already tried boosting bass on the amp with the new laptop but that just makes it boomey. None of the sweet singing bass of the old laptop.

And I also fi d that I can hear a very faint hint of very high pitch hiss on the new on the new one.

The new one is just not there. But I cannot say if that is a software(generator or driver) issue or hardware.

I have not found any specs on frequency responce or sound for laptops. Are they even HiFi? Dunno.

Last edited by berntd; 07/03/20 12:05 AM.

Band in a Box

Journeyman
Journeyman
PA System... Continued: Is this the right direction? Maybe not but it is a start. This is a newer version than mine.

Danville

...Deb

Last edited by DSM; 07/03/20 02:42 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
One of my rare disagreements with you Matt. Years ago Mac went around and around with people saying the same thing, the headphone outs of a laptop are not that good. That was true maybe 10-15 years ago but not in the modern world. As you know you basically count the age of a computer in dog years so 12 years ago is ancient history.

Newer laptops all have versions of HD sound built in so people can play movies, stream music and play HD games on them. The sound is fine. I used to run the headphone outs to my mixer in my home studio with no problem.

Bob

This thread has diverged a bit.

Yes, you can use the headphone jack of a laptop into a mixer. Sweetwater explains the problems but agrees you can do it if you do it carefully. https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/headphone-outputs-used-line-outputs-for-line-level-gear/

That does not make it the right thing to do.

The quality of the soundcard in the modern laptop is indeed better now, but that was never the issue. Voltage, impedance, and distortion are the issue. Mac is an electrical engineer, and he knew.

If for no other reason, I detest using a headphone jack to connect to a mixer, and especially a PA, because those jacks are of low quality and they wear out easily, so if the connection is jostled, you are in for a massive loud crackling. You risk your recording or performance on a thirty-cent part that goes bad easily.

All this is to say that the better solution is to buy an audio interface that connects by USB to the laptop.

Veteran
Veteran
And I also fi d that I can hear a very faint hint of very high pitch hiss on the new on the new one.

Did you not read my comment about that? Run it on the battery, that faint hiss should go away. It has something to do with the ground plug when it's plugged into the mains.

And, Matt yes I understand that headphone plug is weak but it's not a problem if you're careful with it. I did that for about 18 months when I had a duo and used Biab tracks. I got this from Mac, he was the one who explained he's been using the headphone out on his gig going to a PA. We're not talking about a recording session, we're talking about not having even more cables and devices to have to mess with. Much simpler and cleaner to just use the headphone jack.

Berndt, if you're willing to use an interface then that's your answer but if you really want to use the headphone jack, here's a vid I found that may help:

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 07/04/20 08:17 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hello and thank you for the help.

I have tried it on batteries but the sound remains the same.

Interestingly, as per that video, this computer does not have any of those settings for the speakers.

It only has enable disable set as default. Nothing else. I find that strange but it is true.

Band in a Box

Expert
Expert
Hello and thank you for the help.

Interestingly, as per that video, this computer does not have any of those settings for the speakers.

It only has enable disable set as default. Nothing else. I find that strange but it is true.

Not that unusual the last 2 all in one PCs that I have bought a HP and a Medion are both very sparse on the sound chip functions.
It seems the days of proper sound cards with like on my old dell tower are gone, that had line in & out, and headphones and even 5.1 surround sound, with the right speakers connected.
Like you I now have mic, speakers (stereo only), and headphone skt.
Sound seems to be the poor man of the modern pc especially on laptops and all in ones.
Hence the need to buy an external Audio interface.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 07/05/20 12:28 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Veteran
Veteran
FYI - I had some high pitched hiss as well as other sounds when JonD was at his keyboard and had his cell phone on! If he moved closer to the keyboard all kinds of weird sounds happened. But when he backed away all we heard was a high pitched hiss. Note that his cell phone was in his pocket. He had to place his cell phone away from the keyboard.

I don't know if this is your problem or not but I thought that I should share this.

Good luck.

PS - also weird sounds will happen if your computer is close to your router. Been there - heard that also.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Oh, yes, there's RFI from phones and modems and even microwave ovens, plus EMI from cables overlaying others, refrigerators, and fans on the circuit. This equals a bunch of potential noisemakers that can affect the signal (unless you are using lightpipe or S/PDIF digital signals).

Then there is transistor hiss, at a low level in all systems.

And don't forget gain staging. The basic principle is to put the gain as high as you can at each stage and only vary the final stage volume.

The problem a headphone jack presents is that the headphone output does not follow this principle; it's very easy to overdrive and create distortion by turning up the headphone output beyond the voltage from a line-out. And there's more problems that I cited above.

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice

All this is to say that the better solution is to buy an audio interface that connects by USB to the laptop.

Regarding the Audio Interface solution:
My brand new Behringer UMC202HD interface makes a hell of a racket on the output while the USB is connected but not yet enumerated or during a computer restart or when it is not controlled by the software.
Awful.
It appears they forgot to mute it when there is not data coming.

Their initial support reckons that this is ok and I just need to unplug it's output during boot / restarts etc.
Seems crazy to me.

Cheers
Bernt

Last edited by berntd; 07/07/20 04:30 PM.

Band in a Box

Veteran
Veteran
That sounds wrong to me, too.

Veteran
Veteran

Their initial support reckons that this is ok and I just need to unplug it's output during boot / restarts etc.
Seems crazy to me.

Cheers
Bernt

That's not right. Send it back while it is still under warranty.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
.....or check connections. Maybe you have an IN jack cord in an OUT jack, or vice versa.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
Or a bad headphone jack. But hey, that would never happen, right?

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
No, after poking them, their support has just come back stating that he can reproduce the problem on his units.
They will now escalate and investigate a root cause with a possible fix in a future firmware release.

He still insists that one can just unplug the unit or turn off the amplifier while restarting etc.

That does not help me now though.

Regards
Benrt

Band in a Box

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
There are two thing I see here one is if you mix music using a bass enhancement setting then the music will sound thin to anyone else playing it on their systems. This is because you are mixing with a “color” music palette that will not exist elsewhere.

Secondly the heart and soul of any music studio is the device that interfaces between the DAW software and the output equipment I.e. speakers or headphones. This piece of the puzzle is vital. I would never rely on a internal sound chip, nor be too cheap with the interface.

A good product will literally take all the fight out of the process. Focusrite, Presonus, etc. make sure that the sound card/interface does not color the sound no bass or treble boost. That way you get the bass, treble, EQ, anything at the proper levels in the actual music mix and not afterwards in the sound chain. This makes sure your mixed down song sounds good on a variety of systems cans not just yours

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
There are two thing I see here one is if you mix music using a bass enhancement setting then the music will sound thin to anyone else playing it on their systems. This is because you are mixing with a “color” music palette that will not exist elsewhere. Agree 100 percent

Secondly the heart and soul of any music studio is the device that interfaces between the DAW software and the output equipment I.e. speakers or headphones. Also agree 100 percentThis piece of the puzzle is vital. I would never rely on a internal sound chip, nor be too cheap with the interface. Strongly disagree.

A good product will literally take all the fight out of the process. Focusrite, Presonus, etc. If true then why does the forum get so many posts about no audio or trouble with drivers? make sure that the sound card/interface does not color the sound no bass or treble boost. Yes, they offer driver settings that duplicate settings available through the Windows Control Panel default audio settings That way you get the bass, treble, EQ, anything at the proper levels in the actual music mix and not afterwards in the sound chain. This makes sure your mixed down song sounds good on a variety of systems cans not just yours I agree it is better to mix with flat EQ settings.

Most present day computer audio systems can accommodate HD or surround sound audio. Many headphones and some powered speakers interface with the computer through a USB port so audio remains digital until it hits the output transducers.

In my opinion an audio interface might make sense if a user is recording tracks or if five pin midi ports are needed. But I'm not convinced an audio interface offers any enhanced capability for audio playback.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
In my opinion an audio interface might make sense if a user is recording tracks or if five pin midi ports are needed. But I'm not convinced an audio interface offers any enhanced capability for audio playback.[/color]

I agree that if one is going to record be it a guitar, vocal, mic, etc, then an audio interface is needed.

You don't need an audio interface for five pin MIDI ports as five pin MIDI to USB adapters are very inexpensive.

I also agree that for just audio playback there is no difference between an internal audio chip or an audio interface as far as tonal quality goes. But if the music gets choppy, or crackles, etc then you will need an audio interface with native ASIO drivers so you can increase your audio buffers to stop those playback problems.

Veteran
Veteran
Wow. I happen to agree with Rob on the interface.

Quote:
Many headphones and some powered speakers interface with the computer through a USB port so audio remains digital until it hits the output transducers ... [edit] ... But I'm not convinced an audio interface offers any enhanced capability for audio playback.

It can't remain digital forever, somewhere it is getting converted to audio in order for us to 'hear' it. The headphones/speakers need a Digital to Audio conversion somewhere in the chain. If it happens in the speakers, it is bypassing the internal audio D/A convertors, so totally sidesteps whether the internal one is any good.

To me, your post includes using a different USB device as a solution (an interface, if you will) that is separate from the internal audio chip for audio.
Yet you're 'not convinced' using a separate device makes any difference.
It is the Digital to Audio conversion (D/A convertors) that make much of the difference. If it avoids the internal D/A conversion it is not a fair comparison.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

I also agree that for just audio playback there is no difference between an internal audio chip or an audio interface as far as tonal quality goes

Now I have to strongly disagree. Did you not read my post?
My old HP laptop produces a better audio quality than my new Behringer interface and my new Dell Inspiron laptop far worse.

Regards
Bernt

Band in a Box

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Quote:

I also agree that for just audio playback there is no difference between an internal audio chip or an audio interface as far as tonal quality goes

Now I have to strongly disagree. Did you not read my post?
My old HP laptop produces a better audio quality than my new Behringer interface and my new Dell Inspiron laptop far worse.

Regards
Bernt

There's some confusion in terminology regarding the audio output quality. In the statement above you disagree with, it references PLAYBACK in your particular circumstance with your old HP Laptop, that laptop used a software program to enhance and boost the bass frequencies and over time, playback sounded good to your ears. In fact, you found it preferable to the playback you experience from both your internal soundcard and your new Behringer interface. That's on your personal system and is relevant only to your system. Your HP produced an artificial frequency response that was not good for playback on other sound systems.

The confusion in terminology is how your audio should be mixed rather than how it sounds during playback only on your system. Of the three audio output devices, the HP with exaggerated and enhanced bass boost, is the worst device of the three for mixing your song for others to hear on their devices. The mix will always be out of balance because of that bass boost and everybody that listens to your song will experience the thin, tinniness lack of bass sound.

A good mix should be balanced to sound good at all frequencies on all the different types of playback devices. It should sound balanced on a boom box, MP3 player, Your phone, home stereo, car and on a PA system.

The statement you disagreed with referenced playback and that's a personal preference whereas the Behringer interface is clearly the most capable of producing the best mix of the three choices discussed in this thread.

If you have a good mix on the Behringer that's not tainted by artificial EQ band boosts and cuts, your song will sound good on a variety of sound systems.

Veteran
Veteran
rharv,

You're correct that both the USB headphones and powered speakers I use in my examples have embedded D/A convertors so the computer audio circuit is completely bypassed. So what? The computer's audio circuit also gets completely bypassed when a user attaches an audio interface. Bypassing the computer audio playback circuit doesn't automatically make whatever is used instead better. Truthfully the requirement to playback audio is not that high. The weak link in a computer audio connection is the headphone jack. Connecting any audio playback device through a USB port and the weak link is bypassed. A way to minimize the headphone jack is to keep a cable always plugged into the jack so wear and tear happens to the cable and not the jack.

The gaming and podcasting markets have broadened the audience for getting sound in or out of a computer. Devices intended for those markets likely are made from the same components as audio interfaces. If you're comparing devices that are comparably priced the D/A convertors likely are comparable. Audio interfaces use to be the only avenue to consistently get high quality sound in or out of a computer but that's not true anymore.

Most USB devices marketed for podcasting or gaming are Windows compliant and use built-in Window drivers. That means they are plug and play and are automatically recognized by the operating system when connected. No set up is needed, they just work. Even USB mixers by mainline audio companies like Mackie are starting to drop ASIO drivers and use built in Windows drivers for their USB mixers.

Compare that to downloading, installing, setting up and maintaining the ASIO device drivers most audio interfaces require. Ever have an ASIO driver quit working after a Windows update?

Now give me some convincing reasons an audio interface is better for audio playback than what comes built-into the computer.

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

There's some confusion in terminology regarding the audio output quality. In the statement above you disagree with, it references PLAYBACK in your particular circumstance with your old HP Laptop, that laptop used a software program to enhance and boost the bass frequencies and over time, playback sounded good to your ears. In fact, you found it preferable to the playback you experience from both your internal soundcard and your new Behringer interface. That's on your personal system and is relevant only to your system. Your HP produced an artificial frequency response that was not good for playback on other sound systems.

Please do not assume that I am confused or do not know the terminology.
I stand by what I said.

I have tested this with several different people listening and the result is the same. The HP has a substantially better sound, agreed by everyone who hears it over here.
In fairness. by "better sound" I mean "perceived better sound".

I have since experimented with an equalizer on the new laptop output to see if I can get the sound to be similar to the HP. It is not possible.

The difference is in the fidelity of the sound not the frequency response.

It is like comparing the sound of a CD versus MP3 versus CD on a valve amplifier.
It is just not there on the new laptop.

The Behringer is better but still not quite.

In fact, nobody over here can tell the differenne between the Behringer and the headphone output of my Samsung TAB A tablet - which is also not bad.

It would be interesting to run all these through an AP and see what is going on.

It is also interesting that nobody publishes any audio specs for the Laptops not the Behringer. At least, I cannot find any.

Regards
Bernt

Last edited by berntd; 07/11/20 01:01 PM.

Band in a Box

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Please do not assume that I am confused or do not know the terminology.
I stand by what I said.

I have tested this with several different people listening and the result is the same. The HP has a substantially better sound, agreed by everyone who hears it over here.
In fairness. by "better sound" I mean "perceived better sound".

I have since experimented with an equalizer on the new laptop output to see if I can get the sound to be similar to the HP. It is not possible.

The difference is in the fidelity of the sound not the frequency response.

It is like comparing the sound of a CD versus MP3 versus CD on a valve amplifier.
It is just not there on the new laptop.

The Behringer is better but still not quite.

In fact, nobody over here can tell the differenne between the Behringer and the headphone output of my Samsung TAB A tablet - which is also not bad.

It would be interesting to run all these through an AP and see what is going on.

It is also interesting that nobody publishes any audio specs for the Laptops not the Behringer. At least, I cannot find any.

Regards
Bernt

I haven't assumed anything about you other than responding to what you've written. Your statement, "In fairness. by "better sound" I mean "perceived better sound"."is exactly the point I made that you've re-posted in your reply. You tell us you like the sound of the playback of the HP computer best over the other three. That's also what I said in my post you re-posted.

However, your statement, "The difference is in the fidelity of the sound not the frequency response." is incorrect. Frequency response is an element of fidelity by every definition that is an accepted industry standard definition. Your HP computer artificially altered the playback sound by boosting and enhancing the bass frequencies. Your new computer and the Behringer do not have the fidelity of their playback altered and have a more balanced and flat frequency response by design.

There are many technical specs and reasons why the Behringer is the best technical choice of the three devices you posted questions about but none of those specs or reasons may have anything to do with you preferring the sound produced by the HP over the other devices.

If your HP computer still operates, use it solely as the playback amplifier for your new laptop and you will still have the sound you like best.

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Yes, of course.
I however do question the the flatness of the sound coming from this new laptop.

A pity that I can't try and compare this one to others that have B&O sound.

It is not something one can easily test in the shops.

The Behringer is unfortunately a piece of junk for outputting all that random noise as already mentioned.

Last edited by berntd; 07/11/20 03:50 PM.

Band in a Box

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
rharv,

You're correct that both the USB headphones and powered speakers I use in my examples have embedded D/A convertors so the computer audio circuit is completely bypassed. So what? The computer's audio circuit also gets completely bypassed when a user attaches an audio interface. Bypassing the computer audio playback circuit doesn't automatically make whatever is used instead better. Truthfully the requirement to playback audio is not that high. The weak link in a computer audio connection is the headphone jack. ...
Now give me some convincing reasons an audio interface is better for audio playback than what comes built-into the computer.

Again, you answered your own question.
The jack, and the inherent noise and flutter (clock jitter) that goes with it.
I get that you are trying to say digital audio is digital audio, but the D/A convertors are what makes a difference.
You can argue that you can't hear a difference, at which point, to you there is no difference.
But you won't make any friends trying to tell others there is no difference when they know better.

Veteran
Veteran
At least everyone is starting to come around to hating the headphone jack as I do.

Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, connecting a decent monitoring system via that jack comes with its own set of problems.
Arguing about DACs becomes a little more academic after that.
There is a difference but I guess it ain't worth arguing about here.
Quote:
Bypassing the computer audio playback circuit doesn't automatically make whatever is used instead better.

This is true; a $20 USB solution is likely not much better than the internal D/A, but that wasn't really my argument.

Last edited by rharv; 07/12/20 09:50 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Some Gigabyte desktop +++ motherboards +++ and Asus +++ motherboards +++ have audiophile quality audio on the board. These audio circuits can even handle studio grade, 600 ohm, headsets.

There are also some add-on sound cards from established manufacturers like +++ Creative +++ +++ Labs +++ and +++ ASUS +++.

But with all that said, most folks will likely be better off with an audio interface. That way if they ever do decide to record they have that capability.

Veteran
Veteran
Agreed, some boards do have better audio than others, which is the whole point of this thread.
The OP obviously is experiencing this.
I happen to be sitting in front of a machine with one of the Asus ROG Sonic chips you mentioned .. but this is not your average internal chip.
Suppose I should check out that Asus chip since I have it, just never did.
I bought the motherboard for other performance reasons.

Too bad we didn't know about the Behringer issue early enough to warn berntd, as I think it may have tarnished his experience with an interface.

Expert
Expert
shame about the behringer interface! i got one to replace a presonus unit that hissed and crackled. the behringer unit works perfectly. there seem to be duds in every make.

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I think it was just a bad one - bad luck for Berntd.

Behringer got its start as a pirate of sorts, reverse-engineering everything. But it since has produced some good equipment, including the X-Touch I use.

Veteran
Veteran
I have quite a few Behringer items that have worked great for more than a decade.
Like I said, wish we'd have known about this particular device info, since according to berntd (citing Behringer support) it is a known issue.

In my experience, most ASIO interfaces behave better if turned on before they are needed .. apparently this device has some weird issue with that.

Maybe the drivers are poorly written to need a USB connection (source) before outputting audio signal.. ie if there is no sound source they shouldn't generate sound. Seems simple enough to me.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I haven't read through all the pages of posts but do you audio manager panel that may have EQ presets.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RealTek.Panel.png (104.78 KB, 41 downloads)
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
I haven't read through all the pages of posts but do you audio manager panel that may have EQ presets.

Yes, you missed most of it. Note, I am using the audio out socket, not speakers.

Band in a Box

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Yes the audio out goes to an amp then "speakers", it has the same effect on that audio as the laptop speakers.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,509
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195