Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
Did you see the latest build update announcement for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows?

It’s PACKED with powerful updates, including additional RealCharts, improved RealStyles demos, language support, and significant additions and improvements to the DAW Plugin!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more! In fact, we’ve made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41:

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 b724 for Windows and download it here.

Callie
Marketing Representative
PG Music Inc.
Journeyman
Journeyman
I was very impressed with the update.

...Deb

V
Apprentice
Apprentice
V
Suggest the new marketing model for the PG music:
Create a barebone BIAB software that allow registered BIAB users to update their program up to rev. xxx that PG announcing.

The Bare bone BIAB only contents the basic functions, no real band, no real tracks, no extra styles etc…

Users who want features add-ons then they must purchase.

This new marketing model will support users who has bought the previous BIAB versions that may have the bugs to update to the latest software, and allow them to buy the new real tracks, new styles…

Last edited by Vincente; 06/30/20 03:41 AM.

WIN11 OS build 23H2, 16MB, 1TG SSD.
BIAB2024, build 1109, MegaPaK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
No

Journeyman
Journeyman
No

...Deb

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DSM
No

...Deb

Another no.

The BiaB Pro version is a good entry point IMHO.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
No!

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: DSM
No

...Deb

Another no.

The BiaB Pro version is a good entry point IMHO.

No.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
A No vote here. I started with BIAB 2018 Pro. That was an excellent starting point for me.

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

Veteran
Veteran
Yes and No.

Depends what is the goal. If you want more of fresh blood, kids 25-35 you have to be creative. I started with Pro, but even that for "starter" was a bit disturbing. A lot of files, uncommon interfaces MANY buttons, etc. Price point was OK, but the first thought was...What did I get myself into?

Only after playing with software for several hours I started to see potential and strength of it. I believe most of younger adults will not babysit it for so long. I am not suggesting that ADD plays part in it, perhaps most (pro-sumer) audio software these days is far easier to dive into and that is what younger generation users would expect?

Having said that. VST was/is an excellent idea to capture wider audience. I do feel it is getting to where it needs to be, but still needs a big kiss and a hug. Perhaps bundling just the Plugin with 1/2 the content from the PRO and selling it 1/2 price of the Pro will get traction from the folks on budget or just hesitant to spend more on something that they are completely unfamiliar with?

For example, if you are shopping for reverb VST, you know that you will get a reverb. It might suck or be the best one ever. Still it will be a reverb, something you can "imagine" and most likely compare to. BIAB is a different beast that stands all by itself and maybe should be a bit more flexible and creative to capture future followers.

This is probably the most skinny and acceptable "barebone" I can think of. Otherwise, Pro is very reasonable.

Journeyman
Journeyman
And if pricing is an issue, wait until Christmas. There is a sizable discount then.

...Deb

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Vincente
Suggest the new marketing model for the PG music:
Create a barebone BIAB software that allow registered BIAB users to update their program up to rev. xxx that PG announcing.

The Bare bone BIAB only contents the basic functions, no real band, no real tracks, no extra styles etc…

Users who want features add-ons then they must purchase.

This new marketing model will support users who has bought the previous BIAB versions that may have the bugs to update to the latest software, and allow them to buy the new real tracks, new styles…

Your new marketing model already exists! Every year when the new edition is released there is an upgrade option to purchase just the programs. This upgrade option generally costs about $50 US and expires at the end of the new release sale. The major difference from your suggestion is the Windows release includes both the Band-in-a-Box and RealBand programs.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I don’t like the idea of the plugin with a small amount of content. What good is it. It is the RT content that is its heart and soul. Make it, modular (stealing from Rusty spoons idea) So they purchase the plugin and the user chooses paks, this might work. The Plugin plus any pak, or paks someone chooses. Rock, country, bluegrass, jazz, pop, world, etc.

Just some ideas,

Standard pricing
Plugin $129
Content paks $49 each

Release discount Pricing
Plugin. $99
Content paks. $29 each

Each year plugin only purchasers upgrade for $79 plus $19 each for their pak upgrades.

So a new buyer purchases the plugin and the Rock, Country, and Pop paks, and pays $186 at release or $276 the rest of the year.

Those who buy full on BiaB can still get the plugin included in the deal.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
RB,
Why would I (or anybody for that matter) object to a choice of available slim "starter" version that most likely would bring more folks into the pool?
I do not see a single reason how that may effect me or anyone else in negative way, if everything else stays the same as far as packages / upgrades.

If I remember correctly, there is no "demo version" only a 30 day money back guarantee, which would still require a payment. So if the Pro package is reduced to 1/2 size and price, logically more folks would be inclined to try it. Even at a half of content, it should be plenty to experience the power of RT's and make future decision(s). And PG always has cross-grade options smile

Veteran
Veteran
Each time there is a new release it feels like variations of the same complaint continually rises to the top of the complaint list, "Why are the RealTracks or Styles marked N/A?".

I believe if most new customers received even less content, they would feel ripped off even more than some do now. That might make them bitter toward both the program and PG Music.

Customers are trained that more is better and they don't like being reminded that they skimped. For example a loop library with 2 GB of content must be better than a similar library with 500MB of content. Kontakt is a great example. Biggie bucks and it's only as good as the library. UVI Workstation is another example, they GIVE the program away so you'll by the libraries.

The other model is increasing price to gain features. That's the model Celemony uses with Melodyne. PreSonus Free doesn't allow VSTs UNLESS you pay $99 for an add-on.

PG Music should split their marketing effort into two camps, learning and content. The ProPAK and MegaPAK can be presented as full featured learning tools while the UltraPAK and Audiophile offer content.

Both the ProPAK and MegaPAK are great IF ... you want to learn how to use the programs and features. However, if you are interested in content you likely WILL quickly be disappointed and frustrated with the ProPAK and MegaPAK and are thinking of all the content that is available in the UltraPAK and Audiophile packages.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Journeyman
Journeyman
Jim nailed it. When I first started I wonder why I had so many N/A styles. Just about everything was N/A. I bought whatever the basic model was at that time.

There are enough versions now for just about everyone.

And if money is an issue, there is a payment plan and the December sale.

...Deb

Veteran
Veteran
Deb,
Jim knows about the sales, you and I know about them. A random person who wants something new to try, most likely will not. I will put the figure of 70%+ that a new time buyer will not be aware of sales or payment plans and most likely purchase software from a third party.

N/A did not bother me at all when I first tried it, other things related to RB and heavy download did.

This is just my opinion, but I do believe that Plugin bundled 150 Real Tracks, 400 Midi styles and perhaps a handful of loops for a tag of $50 is a very fair and attractive starting point.

If N/A really bothers first time buyers, perhaps hide N/A and show what is available by default installation will eliminate these frustrations.

The question, I think you (or other skeptics) should ask is not whether it is a "good model", as only PG and crew can decide this, but will it impact you personally in a negative manner? I believe, if it is done, it bears completely neutral effect to existing or future owners.

I am only trying to express an opinion, that in my view could bring more followers and that in exchange will lead to creating more Real Tracks and making software better... the things most of us value and enjoy.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Deb,

This is just my opinion, but I do believe that Plugin bundled 150 Real Tracks, 400 Midi styles and perhaps a handful of loops for a tag of $50 is a very fair and attractive starting point.

That is an excellent idea!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I think essentially RS we are saying the same thing differently. I Just packaged it differently. The more I think about it I like the idea of the plugin as a VSTi for A separate Price with the content as a choice by genre. The pricing I mentioned as example only. Your idea of $XX with a sample selection is great. Enough to use but tons of real pals as addons . Very similar to EZDrummer or Jamstix. Buy the plugin and add on as needed.

I remember floating this idea last year in a discussion. I always thought the plugin should be a breakout program for DAW users who don’t want to learn Biab. I could still be offered with the main program as well.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199