Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Tangmo #606397 07/14/20 04:47 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
I know you loves you some bad girl songs, but I like these better. Just me. So pretty it brought a tear to my eye. Ok...more than one, and they didn't stay there, either. Beyond that, I ain't saying.

I'll look at your link. The main problem with me and midi is that I really need to start with something, so I'll be looking at midi guitar tracks in BIAB to see what might be editable.

OK, I'm all done and stuff. Carry on.

Tangmo - tears. what could be better?

I tried to find a BIAB acoustic track to try as a "start" - seems like a logical thing to do. I wasn't able to find one that "worked". That doesn't mean there isn't one - because there are SO many. The few I tried were not satisfying. I tried a couple of RealTrack midi drops - and those did not give me satisfying results either. It would be nice if someone more versed in the MIDI side of BIAB styles could locate some good acoustic guitar examples to test out...

floyd jane #606404 07/14/20 05:01 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a cool intro. Just love the guitar. So deep an rich. Awesome vocal. Just starting exploring midi and recording direct in to the DAW. So many cool things to learn. Just a beautiful song Floyd...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
floyd jane #606405 07/14/20 05:18 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I really loved how you sang the first line of the last chorus, I would pay to hear more of that. The guitar was fine. Strings were beautiful. Really nice piece. The chorus could have been more melodic for my tastes; my ear had trouble following where it was going. But still one of the very best artists working here on the Showcase, that goes without saying. A pleasure to listen to such high quality music.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
floyd jane #606480 07/14/20 12:19 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

I heard your first version of this beautiful song on SoundCloud a week ago (?). I gave my reaction there(and a 'Like', of course), because I wasn't able to get into this forum then.
Now I heard a second, or latest version. That is even better, although you lowered the volume of your vocals maybe a bit too much.
The strings fit very nice in this delicate song.

I'm busy learning myself making musical harmonies on the (midi) keyboard. That is sometimes a hell of a job. So I can understand your effort in making the guitar sounds like you want it to, and you succeed. I agree with someone here (Robert, I thought) saying something about adding queeks to make the guitar sounds even more natural. But at first I thought it was you on a real guitar, so you did a good job!
Are those high vocals your real vocals or did you use Melodyne (or similair software) to do that for you? I was impressed!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
floyd jane #606522 07/14/20 04:08 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, what an absolutely wonderful song...beautiful...stellar vocal...and as a non guitar player (other than an occasional strummer), the accompaniment sounded great.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
floyd jane #606559 07/15/20 02:34 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

This is so tender and beautiful. Love the slight falsetto on the word "need" and the way you display your vocal range.

Outstanding stuff...

Bob

MarioD #606573 07/15/20 03:36 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Floyd, you did a fantastic job on the MIDI guitar track. It did sound like a real guitar. If you had a better guitar VSTi, one with many layers, it would sound even better.

Oh yea, that song was excellent also.

PS - I won all of Ample Sound basses and they are excellent. They are my go to basses when I'm not playing mine. Sometimes I convert mine to one of them to get the sound I am looking for.

Thanks, Mario...

floyd jane #606581 07/15/20 03:57 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi Floyd most excellent song and write midi is not easy to get to sound right and fit with audio tracks the midi guitar sounds great this peace is encouraging for me thanks for sharing eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
floyd jane #606598 07/15/20 07:42 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Floyd, I have ALWAYS admired and appreciated your writing. You are an inspiration to everyone on this forum, as far as I am concerned. But this song is special.

The simplicity of this song gives so much space for the beauty of it to rise to and above the surface. The arrangement you did is stunning. Your vocals are as good as ever.

But for me, the real star of this song is the song itself. And to me (as a writer) that is the highest compliment I can give you.

Great job!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
floyd jane #606605 07/15/20 09:14 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

I've had the free +++ Amplesound +++ Martin acoustic and Precision bass for awhile and haven't found the touch yet. You're well on your way to getting a realistic sound.

One of the better (paid) fingerpicking libraries seems to be +++ Fingerpicking 2 +++ from Realitone. It includes the free Kontakt player and has both steel and nylon string instruments.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Torrey Bliss #606700 07/16/20 03:04 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
If you happen back by, I would appreciate you letting me know if this fixed that...

I'll be honest - I can't tell if it's better because of changes (it sounds like you might have softened the volume on the guitar higher strings), or just confirmation bias. wink

Either way, I enjoyed listening to it several more times. You really did an excellent job with the guitar and strings. laugh

Thanks for checking back, David. I appreciate your help with this...

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Sounds like you did a pretty good job of pulling that off Floyd! The song is wonderful...I had to stop and remember to appreciate your wonderful writing and performance instead of trying to critique the guitar! That tune is beautifully arranged and performed! The guitar could possibly benefit from a touch more reverb on it to smooth out the slightly detectable midi-ish sounds (Just my preference) but man it's close to the real thing now! Thanks, T

Thanks, Torrey. I did add a touch more reverb to the 2nd version...

floyd jane #606753 07/16/20 11:21 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We can somewhat grasp technically what you did. However having both the ear for
it and the patience...well, they ain't there smile

With this tune you continue your mastery of sparse or "seemingly" sparse arrangements and remarkable vocals to deliver your lyric. I say "seemingly" because so often your productions have way more tracks than one would think when initially listening. A very hard thing to do. Albeit for this tune the number of tracks are relatively small and, wow, do they ever deliver.

The much aforementioned guitar and the bass carry things so well. And the strings are mixed in, for lack of a better word, a gentle manner. They don't enter or leave abruptly and they don't step on anything.

When we first heard the tune we thought about the heartfelt message and the sincerity of the vocal and how it would be a heckuva Valentine Day present.

Can't leave out the tight harmony and that high note you hit? Sheesh man. A beautiful vocal all the way around.

Back to the lyric. This is what a love song is all about.

"i'm overwhelmed by
this magical feeling
so i've been honest
right from the start
every word coming
straight from my heart"

J&B

floyd jane #606777 07/16/20 04:49 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice job. I don't know all the in's and out's of the production but I know a lovely ballad when I hear one and this is a lovely ballad.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
rayc #606835 07/17/20 03:14 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
Excellent.
You've taught yourself a new skill and demonstrated it with aplomb.
Beautiful song.
I struggled with MIDI recently to create a Hammond organ track in the style of The Stranglers...OH MY that was a silly thing to do...I spent days writing the midi with a mouse and then couldn't find s sound that worked...
I survived with a nil return but your excellent work has given me hope (or perhaps despair).

Thanks, ray!

Like you, I struggled with MIDI a number of (unsuccessful) times. First when I had BIAB back in the early 90's (BIAB 5) - and then later trying desperately to emulate steel guitars or fiddles - never getting close...and I finally gave up.

The BIAB MIDI Supertracks (for piano) lead me back in a bit. But that was mostly to use one of the piano modules I have to replace the RealTrack piano. The MSTs are SUPERB.

Getting into a more modern/current sound, I've experimented more with drum patterns, fingersnaps, etc. as well as synth sounds and synth bass... since much of what is being produced these days goes that way.

The acoustic guitar was a whim. Never thought it could actually be "worthwhile". So I was surprised to find that I could get a respectable acoustic guitar track... It was a lot of work and I doubt that I will use it much, but is there if needed...

BlueAttitude #606940 07/18/20 02:54 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TexasFrets
Beautiful song. Love your singing. Great job with the midi guitar.

Thanks, Todd!

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man, I'm looking at your second post, looks like pure torture having to draw in all those notes!

Guitar wise it sounds pretty good to me. To my ears a little more reverb might make it better. My go to for acoustic guitars is CLA Unplugged, I use that always on acoustic guitars. I think I hear a little timing issue right at the beginning, just before the phrase starts again, but I'm listening extra closely. But overall it's quite impressive.

But most important, WOW, what a wonderful song!

Just love your vocal, especially when you go up around 2:40 or so. Great tone, and great phrasing.

Good one, floyd, listened a few times.

Thanks, Dave. I added a bit of reverb on the "fixed" version - using the reverb pedal that is part of the acoustic guitar vst (there are 6 different pedals in the pedal board - so a lot of variety). I don't like to get an acoustic too drenched in reverb... I believe I addressed the timing issue you noted, as well.

And, thanks for the comments on the song itself! smile I've been surprised by some of the reaction to it - since I really did just "threw it together" to have something to use the guitar vst on...

Guitarhacker #606997 07/18/20 03:00 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I can only imagine the time you spent on this ....wow. Mousing in the notes takes a huge effort and amount of time. I know. I used to build tracks that very same way back before I found PGM. My hat is off to you on that aspect of this alone.

The song is a great song. I love it. Nice work on this aspect as well.

I also kinda wonder what this would sound like if you plugged in a really well sampled acoustic guitar with a better synth driving it. Free is good and yeah, this sounds like a pretty reasonable approximation of an acoustic guitar, but I'm still wondering what it would/could sound like. To me, midi acoustic guitars have a sort of electric piano/harpsichord sound to them. Once you started singing, that tended to hide the midi guitar a bit and it sounded more natural at that point.

Personally, from my experience, I've always had issues with the quality of the tone of midi guitars (of all kinds) and horns. Drums, Piano, and bass tend to sound fairly good and are great in the midi realm.

All that said..... you continue to push the envelope and encourage others to do the same. That's what I like about you. Keep on truckin..... as they used to say!

Thanks, Herb. The Ample Guitar is a really well sampled dataset and considered by most to be the best of all the sampled acoustics available. If you are aware of something better, would love to hear about it...

floyd jane #607027 07/19/20 01:35 AM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Wow. Nice work on the programming. It's really a good thing for you to do this and post some of the programming details. The MIDI aspect of BIAB truly adds another level to the program that's too often overlooked in my view. RealTracks will spoil you because in many ways they're like the interstate highway that will get you there versus the two lane curvy highway that will get you there with a marvelous view. MIDI adds a lot to any BIAB project.

Taking us beyond the normal top flight write, arrangement, production and performance, with this song we receive the motivation and inspiration to tackle new skills as well as travel deeper into BIAB.

Enjoyed this latest masterpiece from you.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 07/19/20 01:36 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
PeterF #607184 07/20/20 04:45 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd,

First lovely song, beautifully performed and written.
You did an excellent job (and that looks like a lot of work) with the acoustic, it would be hard to get a real guitar to sound so sweet recorded at home.

Excellent work.

Peter

Peter - thanks for the nice comments. I agree with "...it would be hard to get a real guitar to sound so sweet recorded at home." I would think that anyone who has tried to record their own acoustic would find this true.

And thanks for showing me that this kind of thing was possible in the first place...

floyd jane #607208 07/20/20 07:47 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Floyd. I listened twice and so far that's all I could write. I'd like to recall all of the superlatives I've ever used when commenting on a song, and just lay them right here. Then I can just copy and paste whenever you post another. Thanks once again for the inspiration.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
#607317 07/21/20 02:16 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ,
SUPER tune from start to finish! Really no point to dissect it it is great as a whole.
Some complex experiment you got going there! I can not believe you done it in such short period. I have and tried Ample guitar before, but for much simpler stuff. You really showed what it can do. I am amazed! Thank you for the full write up. I really have to look deeper into these amazing guitar VSTs.
Thank you for sharing!

P.S. (seems) you take critique well, so I will say this. The only thing I would probably change is string "tone". It sounds a bit synth(ish), compared to the rest, which has very solid acoustic feel. Regardless of that, to me this definitely among top 10 of songs I have heard by you.

Misha.

Thanks, Misha.

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Floyd
While I don't feel qualified to comment on the technical aspects, from what others say I can only admire the amount of work you must have put in, and the guitar sounds pretty good to me.
The song is well written (of course) and in my view the vocal is right up there among your best.
Regards,
Leon

I appreciate that, Leon...

Originally Posted By: flemiis
I liked this song a lot. You are very talented and the result is brilliant. I am not enough skilled to comment it from the professional point of view. But as a listener, I am really impressed. Where are you from? I am from https://worldcams.tv/united-states/new-york/times-square. I would love to listen to more of your works, and it would be great to listen to them in real-life.

Thanks, flemiis.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195