Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
As I mentioned there is much more to it than that ... at least for me. High end aids can be programmed in multiple ways to help you. Multi-band eq and compression, the left and right aid communicating via bluetooth, the ability to analyze the sonic environment and adapt and phone apps to let you change the program as needed. Only you know what sounds "right" and that requires communicating with an audiologist beyond simply boosting some high f and leaving it at that. A lot of audiologists tend to focus on manipulating variables that relates to speech. That's fine. But I need to hear a ride, a high hat, a kick drum kick, vocal sibilance, the ring of a snare, squeaks on an acoustic guitar, etc.

Pardon the ramble...it's just that my audiologist literally changed my life. I suspect my loss is greater than yours so I can likely be ignored smile

Bud

What aids are you using and what was the cost? I have high freq loss in the 4k range....and tinnitus in that same range. Sounds like crickets. I've never been bothered by the tinnitus. But it does mask the highs. I find I have to pay attention to my mixes lest they become too crispy on the top end for normal listeners.

Too many really, really loud bands, and gunfire without using the proper protections.

I just ordered a set of Axil buds..... good noise reduction and enhancement to 6x as well as bluetooth music from the phone. Can run either of the 3 modes or any combination. Figured I'd give it a try.

The brand is Oticon. The brand on high end aids is not IMO as important as having an audiologist work with you to program them and change the programs when needed. They are expensive, yes, but that frequent consultation has to be factored in. BTW, I have tinnitus also. Mine is a 6-8k “teapot” sound and is a function of target practice many years ago, 60’s festivals/concerts and small engine equipment.

Oh, my audiologist limits me to 80 dB exposure. So no live music. I have a phone app to check db’s when listening to music, etc. She says it’s to keep what I’ve got smile

Bud

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Bob,

Just so you know I'm not blowing smoke - I worked for Westone labs for 5 years. I ran the hearing protection product line business the last 2. Westone is one of the largest suppliers to the hearing aid industry with custom fit earpieces and audiology supplies. They also invented in-ear monitors, designed and manufactured the first models of in-ear monitors by Shure and Ultimate Ears.

If you have a good set of closed back headphones, I can almost assure you the method I will take you through will give you significantly more satisfaction listening to music than through your hearing aids. If you have a good set of in-ear monitors, it will be even better.

Our comptroller had a significant mis-matched hearing loss (significantly different losses left vs. right ear). I did this for him for several of his favorite CDs (I re-recorded them going through the 'upside down HL curve EQ sets' that I created from his HL curves.

He did not have a DAW, though I showed him how to set everything up in Tracktion - the only truly free DAW at the time - so that he could go through his CD collection and re-record his collection specifically for headphone listening for him.

He loved it - said it moved him to tears. It's a lot of work to get it tweaked in, but if you understand how to use a graphic EQ and have a DAW that will let you apply separate right and left graphic EQs in series, it can be very worth it.

This is a technique that you will use WITHOUT your hearing aids. Unfortunately even very high end models do not have the processing power dedicated to music (even though you probably have several 'programs' for music listening) nor fidelity in the speakers used, to give satisfaction listening to music.

I will do this for free, if you would like. Send me a PM

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
wow, thanks Rockstar and Janice and Bud. I'm still awaiting my next consultation when i'll find exactly what my hearing aids are programmed for.

good news is that they are Oticon like Bud's although being National Health Service ones they may be lower spec.

I'll be in touch once i know more about the aids Rockstar but i'm overwhelmed by the support i'm getting.

just a quick update re Bud's comments. i soloed a realdrums track and listened without hearing aids. the high hat was there and so were the cymbals, but with the aids the high hat was better balanced - more volume but not excessive and the cymbals more vibrant.

with all the help i'm getting i'm beginning to feel a lot happier and less anxious. thanks guys!

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Bob, any of the major hearing aid companies the NHS will have will have similar capabilities. This includes all the Scandinavian, German and Swiss based companies, and Starkey from the USA.

In order for me to do what I'm speaking of, get your Hearing Loss curves for each ear. HL curves for short.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I had my consultation with the audiologist today. I asked some basic questions but in essence these digital hearing aids have been programmed to boost the frequencies where my hearing is affected with the appropriate db boost for the different frequency bands. Each ear is programmed separately.

Basically, the audiologist says when i listen to music i will be hearing near enough what a normally hearing person hears.

As my hearing loss is mild to moderate the aids are not programmed too drastically. Apparently the big problem with aids and music is that when aids need to accommodate more severe hearing loss they can assume part of the music in some frequencies is background noise and suppress it - hence the need some times for a music setting. I don't need that as the problem won't arise.

I have to say that now i'm used to the hearing aids commercial tracks sound better - crisper but not over bright and with things such as high hats more to the fore rather than lost. My own mixes too sound better but as good as the mixes are they don't make up for lack of talent.

My biggest problem is my lack of musical ability not my ears. However thank you to everyone who posted advice and helped me through a worrying period. Thank you all not just for the technical advice but the friendliness and concern from all of you.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I thought i'd resurrect this thread to let everyone who gave me such good advice and encouragement know how i'm doing.

as someone said above i had not noticed the decline in my hearing. Commercial tracks do sound better as mentioned in the previous post. when i listen first thing in the morning without my aids i notice just how much i was missing.

my own mixes do sound better and i don't feel the need for exciter plugins as much as i used to. i realize i was trying to compensate for my ears not correct a genuinely dull mix. now just a touch (based on Matt's invaluable advice to turn it up until you can hear it then back off!) is all i use.

the lack of talent is still a problem but i thought all of you who were so kind, helpful and encouraging would like to know how things are progressing.

Last edited by Bob Calver; 10/15/20 06:45 AM.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Some great info in this thread! It's something I've been concerned about myself, as I have some tinnitus (hereditary, thanks Dad) up in the 8-9khz region. I still have relatively normal hearing range for my age at least, but I've been trying to take care of my ears over the last half decade, trying to limit anything over 80db or wearing ear plugs and in-ear monitors.

I work here
Veteran
Veteran
I use an iPhone app to check exposure. My audiologist said to not exceed 80db avg at any time if I want to retain what’s left of my hearing.

There are several high rated accurate apps available. I also have it on my Apple Watch.

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
Bob, thanks for giving us an update. The information in this thread could be helpful to anyone, though there is a higher probability musicians may benefit more than most.

The advice Bob said I have given is not in this thread, I think, so I’ll summarize it here. When I use a plug-in, such as an exciter Bob mentioned, my general guideline is to turn up the plugin until I can just hear its effects, and then back off halfway.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I use an iPhone app to check exposure. My audiologist said to not exceed 80db avg at any time if I want to retain what’s left of my hearing.

There are several high rated accurate apps available. I also have it on my Apple Watch.

Bud

FYI. Unless you have a calibration procedure for your particular phone model and the response curve of the mics in your phone are known, the accuracy of these apps is nearly useless for protecting your hearing from further loss. Reference NIOSH reports from the 2014 NHCA conference for the pitfalls of trusting apps. You would be much farther ahead using an inexpensive SPL meter that has a known calibration. Parts Express and Amazon have some rather inexpensive ones that will be much more accurate than your phone app

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not

Bud

FYI. Unless you have a calibration procedure for your particular phone model and the response curve of the mics in your phone are known, the accuracy of these apps is nearly useless for protecting your hearing from further loss. Reference NIOSH reports from the 2014 NHCA conference for the pitfalls of trusting apps. You would be much farther ahead using an inexpensive SPL meter that has a known calibration. Parts Express and Amazon have some rather inexpensive ones that will be much more accurate than your phone app

Old data. Six years in tech world development is enormous - 2014 from a tech perspective is the ice age smile Some of the latest apps are used in a variety of professional applications. Simply search on decibel meters for IOS and include 2020 in the search.

Bud

M
M
I have a hearing aid (from hearing aid store) for my right ear only (irreversible nerve damage caused by fevers as a toddler). I tried mixing with the aid in and it didn't help at all. I've played gigs with it in as well, doesn't really help. The only reason I got it was to hear music more accurately, so it was a little bit of a letdown. So now it's just a tool I use during my day job for important meetings.

Last edited by matthewfox; 12/27/21 03:36 AM.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
sorry to hear that matthewfox. my hearing is not due to nerve damage - just age related frequency loss and that is compensated for by the aids which boost the lost frequencies. i haven't actually 'lost' them but the volume at which i hear them has declined.

if your left ear is ok then probably you can hear all the frequencies just in mono!

does the aid make any difference at all? has your audiologist checked the aid settings?

i play with a friend who has lost the hearing in one ear and he seems to get on fine playing and recording but he had quite a struggle to get his expensove hearing aids working

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not

Bud

Old data. Six years in tech world development is enormous - 2014 from a tech perspective is the ice age smile Some of the latest apps are used in a variety of professional applications. Simply search on decibel meters for IOS and include 2020 in the search.

Bud

Bud I am just seeing your reply. You have made an erroneous assumption that time somehow changes the need for calibration for accuracy. It does not. Now, if any of the apps you may be using ask for the model of phone you are using them there is a small hope that the app is using a general calibration file for the phone model’s microphone. If not then it is a crap shoot. Measuring SPL has been part of my profession for 30+ years. Needing to know the sensitivity of the microphone and a/d converter does not change with Moore’s law.

Without that information, the reading on the app is bogus.

I have several spl and spectral analysis apps on my phone but when I need to know the actual levels I use a measurement mic and it’s calibration file that is tied to its s/n. Not too expensive from parts express.
https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-iMM-6-iDevice-Calibrated-Microphone-390-810

I use it with the Studio Six suite of acoustics measurement apps.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195