Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#607737 07/24/20 01:26 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Greetings Forum Friends

I regret my absence for such a long time. I've had my hands full with a difficult 1-year old GIANT puppy and all the challenges from the pandemic.

We found time to publish our first EP "Keep Looking Up" back in February. Here the link: Keep Looking Up

But this post is for our new song "We're Better Than This"

We're Better Than This

https://soundclick.com/r/s8dvyw

The events of 2020 have been distressing. This song expresses our concern.

Last edited by SpaceDog; 07/24/20 01:25 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another excellent song. Very cool lyrics. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice lyric indeed and production to go with it!

J&B

PS Would like to see the RT's, etc and lyrics!

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Scott, Janice, Bud,

Thanks for listening and commenting. I'll post a new version next week after getting more feedback.

Stay safe and well.

SD

Here are the RTs and lyrics

Style is _POPFAST.STY (Fast Pop w/ Dreamy Electric Guit)

RealTracks in style: ~~519:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~~522:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~~406:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 136
RealTracks in style: ~~543:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Dreamy Ev 120
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^8-a:Snare, HiHat Open , b:Snare, Ride

Added:
1031-String Electric, Fingerpicking Ev 165

We’re Better Than This
7/9/20
Intro: Am G F G Am G F G C
Verse 1:
C F
I stood up to be counted; To keep our land safe and free
Dm C G7
Now the tensions have mounted and they’re taking their aim at me

Verse 2:
C F
This isn’t what I fought for This isn’t who we are
Dm C G7
Together we are much more Than when we’re torn apart

Chorus x2
Am G
We’re better than this. We’re taking a risk
F G
1. We’re on the edge of a precipice
2. Give up your hate and prejudice
Am G
We won’t be dismissed. ‘cause We’re better than this.
E7 G Am
Let’s find a way to coexist

Bridge:
Dm C G
Don’t you know that history can’t be recast
Dm C E7
The only way ahead is learning from the past

Reintro: Am G F G Am G F G C
Verse 3:
C F
I never thought it would be this way The trampled rights for which we stand
Dm C G7
These nightmare scenes ‘cross the USA only fracture our land

Verse 4:
C F
Build a bridge and not a wall Don’t let our differences divide us
Dm C G7 C
Make it great for one an all Let our common dreams unite us.

Chorus x2
Am G
We’re better than this. We’re taking a risk
F G
1. We’re falling in to a great abyss
2. Give up your hate and prejudice
Am G
We won’t be dismissed. ‘cause We’re better than this.
E7 G Am
Let’s find a way to coexist

Outro: Am G F G Am G F G A

Last edited by SpaceDog; 07/25/20 07:43 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nicely done!

But... who are you addressing?

Edit: This isn't meant as a political critique of the song, or say that you should be pointing your finger at anyone. I'm just saying that I couldn't figure out out. Since that's possibly not even the goal of the song, feel free to ignore what follows. laugh

I've read through the lyric multiple times, and it seems like you're trying to tread a fine line without calling out one side or another.

For example, "We won’t be dismissed" is what a protester might say, while "These nightmare scenes ‘cross the USA only fracture our land", is how someone might respond to a protester.

"Build a bridge and not a wall" sounds anti-wall, while "Make it great for one an all" sounds like MAGA.

We're in a political environment where every side claims their rights are trampled, that it's the other side trying to rewrite/whitewash history, and it's the other side that's filled with hate and prejudice.

Will the people you're calling to action see themselves in the lyrics, or will they see it as a call for someone else to change?

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good melody throughout, enjoyed the harmonies in the chorus and overall songwriting.

Nicely done.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice melody on the piano..I think the push to use the one rhyme in the chorus is a little obvious.
Nice arrangement and performance though your vocal is hesitant in the 1st verse.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Peter, Thanks. I'm glad you liked it.

Ray, Thanks for the feedback. The rhyme scheme in the chorus probably is too monotonous. I'll remember that next time, As for the "hesitant" sound in the first verse, I'll check my timing but I was going for a sense of uncertainty and vulnerability.

Dave, Thanks for your thoughtful comment and taking the time to analyze the lyrics.

For me music and art is about the listener and audience. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So the real question should be, "what does it mean to you?" not what does it mean to the artist. Is John Lennon imagining a better world or was he advocating communism? Was "Puff the Magic Dragon" about a boy and his magical dragon or was it about smoking dope? It's up to us, the listener.

I like the line in the Buffalo Springfield song "For What it's Worth" that goes "Nobody is right if everybody's wrong"

I stand by each lyric in this song. It expresses exactly how I feel, but the important question is, "How does it make you feel?"

Again, thanks for the very thoughtful review.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Great job, SpaceDog! Nice composition all the way around. Vocal harmonies are first-class, and I liked your lyric and rhyme scheme and selection of words (I think you avoided some "easy" rhymes and got to words that delivered value). Thanks for your work

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great sentiment, SpaceDog! I really like the melody. Although I understand Dave's query, and his logic, I appreciate your reply. Yes, we ARE better than this, and rather than a call to arms, this song seems more about a call to calm. I'm so glad that at least on THIS forum we are ALL better than those others. hehe One suggestion will make this better would be to add some reverb or something to your voice. All that aside, great song, man.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
You have some problems in the USA in the moment that I will try not to get involved in... smile

I will just say that I liked the composition and the performance of this song!

Thanks for sharing,
Will

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Tano, Thanks I've been a fan of yours for several years. Thanks for listening.

Marty, Thanks for your kind comments. I'll add a bit of reverb to the lead vocal. I was trying to make it close and personal by keeping the vocal dry. Everyone seems to agree it should have some reverb.

Will, Thanks for listening and commenting. My wife and I visited your lovely county many years ago. We have wonderful memories of Coppenhagen and Tivoli Gardens.

User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
Thanks for your nice words about Denmark. You are of course always welcome again (when the governments open up for travelling).

Take care,
Will

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool song. Well done. I didn't try to analyze the lyric too much. Seems like good advice that most people would agree with. If only the powers that be would stop trying to divide us.... And if people would stop listening to them, we could easily coexist in peace.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Herb, Thanks for listening. I'm glad you liked it.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
SD ...

Very nicely done. As I think you might know, I'm also an author (got several books on Amazon under my penn name). I always try to leave a little room for the reader to make their own perceptions in places ... that allows him/her to more personalize what I've written and, perhaps, develop a stronger "kinship" with the story. I think that's what you are doing with this lyric. You're allowing the listener to personalize the lyric such that they can better identify with the message on a personal level.

I enjoyed the song a lot. This is, in my opinion, your best vocal in quite some time. Everything sounded great! Nicely done ...

Best to you. Be safe, my friend ...

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Alan,

Thank you for the kind and thoughtful comment. Leave it to a professional author to find the right words. Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to do: leave room for interpretation and invite the listener to make it personal and their own.

I'm glad you liked the vocal tracks. I put a lot of emotion into the lead vocal. I'm always surprised when the Background Vocals sound good. I have to carefully plan the harmonies. They don't come naturally.

Best wishes and take care of yourself and your family.

SD

Last edited by SpaceDog; 07/28/20 03:54 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
SD, this is very well sung and I liked the signature piano lick. The harmony sounds good also. I agree with the the good advice. Nicely done, Tom

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Well produced song with a catchy melody. Personally I liked the 'dry' vocal sound - thought it lent your voice an immediacy that suited the thoughtful lyrics.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
My favorite line: "Build a bridge and not a wall."

I enjoyed the instrumentation, melody, and overall feel of this song. The mix is clear. Good vocals.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice. I liked the piano and the cascade (not sure what it's called when you slur your fingers across the keys). I appreciated the small lyric change in the repeated choruses - a nice touch. And you used BIAB very well in this. Really good work!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Tommy, Thanks. The piano lick is a revision of a lick I used on on song several years ago. A bit lazy but I think it still works.

Leon, Yes, that's what I was hoping for. In my music production studies, I learned that vocals without effects are more personal and intimate. I guess they know what they're talking about. Thanks

Zeke, I got the line "build a bridge and not a wall" from something similar Pope Francis said a few years ago. I jotted it down in my "song idea" notebook. I'm glad it was effective. Thanks.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,466
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195