Options
Index
#610308 - 08/11/20 01:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Hard [Re: MusicStudent]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Well played song. Great lyrics and vocals. Lovely piano. I am primarily a lyricist who uses guitar and piano (not good on either) to get my songs across - until BIAB came along. The piano playing was well done. I wish I played that good. Nice song.

jpt3 - thanks! I appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
The first two lines immediately grabbed me.

The chorus is one of the best I heard. Lyrics are brutally honest and so effective at touching the listener.

Another superb vocal performance.

Thanks, EZ...

Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd, first of all, that does not sound like dabbling in the least. The piano is the perfect palette for this song and played very very well! There is little doubt that we will be hearing more of that in the future. The write is another fine relationship song that you do so well. The bass fits in amazingly well and the nylon guitar is one of my favorite real tracks. Congratulations on your first piano song. It’s a success, Tom

Tom - thanks for the confidence boost regarding the piano parts... I feel it is "a beginning", but did hope that it would a least be passable at this point...

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Floyd,

This is a very nice piece of work you made!
And surprisingly this time you took the piano as the lead instrument. I didn't know you also play the piano. I am impressed by your play. Very good!
But NOT surprisingly it is a quality song. Of course it is, I should say because I haven't heard anything less from you than quality songs.
With your voice this sad song really sounds sad. Nearly desperate. In these times it can ease people.

Very well done,
Hans

Appreciate all of that, Hans...

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ,
A little late for the party. Very nice tune. A little more than just piano dabble there. Ace composition and vocals. Liked that solo!
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks, Misha. Thanks for mentioning the solo - I like it, too!!

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,
The piano based simple production gives your fine vocals more of a vulnerable feel.
This might be the most pared down song I`ve heard from you (guitar outro excepted), and it shows how well you write emotion into a familiar heartbreak lyric (never maudlin, always sounding real).
A brave and enjoyable venture away from the Biab toolbox!

Robert

Robert - thanks for taking the time to listen and comment (and for the fine comments they are...)

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Floyd,

This is awesome!!!!!

I remember you told me you were practicing piano. This is gorgeous.

May just be my favorite song of yours so far. Really authentic sounding!!! Incredible!!

Thanks, David... still practicing, of course...

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
crazy

Dan - I am disappointed that you deleted your comments. I felt they were worthwhile and valid from your perspective and worth giving a response to...

#610320 - 08/11/20 04:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Hard [Re: floyd jane]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

I can't do much more than noodle, so you already sound like a pro to me. Like you, I wish I knew more piano if only as a writing tool. It's a different beast, and in my opinion, usually a better "tool" in that box.

Anyway. Extra fine song. I'm imagining the narrator speaking to the guy left to pick up the pieces with both an explanation and a warning.

Mix-wise, the piano might could use a bit more presence. That's probably the downside--it's harder to record than an acoustic.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#610395 - 08/12/20 08:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Hard [Re: Bawb]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

A stunning piece of work, both lyrically and vocally...

Bob

Thanks, Bob. That is nice of you to say.

Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hi Floyd,

Nice song and voice with a sober but effective arrangement. Well done.

Kindly regard

Dero13 alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks for having a listen, Dero...

Originally Posted By: toucher
Just heard this on soundcloud. Awesome work Floyd. As soon as I read the lyrics, I was blown away. Thanks for sharing.

Rob

Rob - good to see you dropping by... you should hang out here more often - been a long time...

Originally Posted By: olemon
More talented than we knew.

Based on the lyrics, I was wondering what the melody and the arrangement might be - they are absolutely spot on. Your vocals are always great, Floyd, and they're typically very convincing and filled with emotion. That's especially so in this song.

There's a YouTube Vevo Go Show of John Legend walking into a bar sitting down at the piano and performing 'All Of Me' - this reminds me of that.

Be well.

Scott

Thanks, Scott... nice to see you around...

Originally Posted By: Bawb
Hi Floyd,

Often times it's "hard" just to comment on the songs you post.
Your lyrics are always constructed in a a way that paints a such a vivid picture. In this case, this picture seems to be of a lonesome saloon and a desperado coming to terms with the man he has been.

Your mastery of the various instruments you play, never cease to amaze. Are you a self-taught musician or do you actually have formal music training?

In any case, thanks for posting this song. I enjoyed it.

Bawb - thanks for the nice comments.

No formal training. All self-taught... (although there is plenty of help to be had these days just for the lookin'... finding a lot for the piano on Youtube)

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
I can't do much more than noodle, so you already sound like a pro to me. Like you, I wish I knew more piano if only as a writing tool. It's a different beast, and in my opinion, usually a better "tool" in that box.

Anyway. Extra fine song. I'm imagining the narrator speaking to the guy left to pick up the pieces with both an explanation and a warning.

Mix-wise, the piano might could use a bit more presence. That's probably the downside--it's harder to record than an acoustic.

Thanks, Tangmo.

The piano was played on a Yamaha-P85 (digital piano) via the MIDI out (so not the Yamaha direct sound) through an EZKeys piano module (the Grand) using a preset (Swedish Pop, I think) which adds a little chorus, so gives a spread-out fuzziness to the piano. I though it best to leave the piano less-than-crystal-clean to hide my imperfections to some degree smile

#612102 - 08/25/20 12:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Hard [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Aichi, Japan
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

Loc: Aichi, Japan
floyd,

Nice piano ballad!
Your vocals are great as always.
And your piano is also very good.
Playing the piano yourself without using RT is wonderful.
It gives this song a very nice feel.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#612141 - 08/25/20 05:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Hard [Re: floyd jane]
Frankp Offline
Apprentice

Stripped down like this the songwriting is front and center. And in that case the song... lyrics/harmony/melody needs to be strong, just like this one. Great job, I really enjoyed your tune and performance.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

PG Music News
A Look Back - Band-in-a-Box® 2009 for Mac

In May 2009, we released Band-in-a-Box® 2009 for Mac to the world, unleashing automatic REAL accompaniment to the MacIntel community!

This highly anticipated release brought with it RealTracks, RealDrums, the Audio Chord Wizard, Audio Rendering, MultiStyles, an updated GUI, and more!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® 2009 Introduction Video for a blast-from-the-past! Watch video...
(This is an easy-to-follow explanation of RealTracks & RealDrums that even a seasoned user will enjoy!)

We had also made a video highlighting the advanced features released with Version 2009: Watch now

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker can show information for up to 60,000 song files and can be customized to point to any folder on your computer, allowing easy access to your own song files or Band-in-a-Box® demo files!

Once you've chosen your folder and rebuilt your list, you are able to filter the list, adjust the width of the columns, see the chord sheet within the SongPicker Window, and more! The filter feature is incredibly specific too - you can even filter by Songs with Custom Chord Progression!

Read more about the SongPicker: Windows | Mac.

We created a video explaining the SongPicker using Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - check it out!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® Transpose From .. To .. Tutorial

Make sure you check out our latest video if you want to see how to transpose a portion of your song! Click here to watch...

Learn even more about transposing within Band-in-a-Box with our online manual: Windows | Mac.

The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Updates for Windows & Mac!

We've just released FREE Updates for both Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows & Mac program users!

With the latest update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, you can now choose the "Save Exact Chord Text" checkbox to the Save XML dialog, there are VST feature updates, Audio Chord Wizard enhancements, updated program messages, we've applied fixes to an assortment of user-reported issues, and the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 Update has been added too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 734 and download it here.

The newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac update also includes VST feature updates, as well as RealTracks & RealDrums Picker enhancements, smoother 'tabbing' between dialog windows, and additional fixes applied to an assortment of user-reported issues. If you missed adding the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 update from September, it will be added with this update too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 420 and download it here.

Forum Stats
33068 Members
68 Forums
66610 Topics
566746 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
glenn miner, Babu Joseph, Dama, dickertl, popo55

33067 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Janice & Bud 137
CaptainMoto 134