Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
A
aa7im Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have a Yamaha MOXF-8 connected to my computer via USB.

In the MIDI driver setup wizard I hear the "Piano Test" but when I play the actual song the keyboard does nothing. If I choose the "SONG" mode on the Yamaha keyboard I do hear something but it is all the wrong patches. I don't know what to do, any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum, you picked a good question for the first one.

To start you need to put your MOXF into GM mode because Biab sends GM patch information. You can change that later for now do that. The first question in this forum link explains how to find that in your Owners Manual:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/accessing-user-banks/oldest

If you get GM working then try manually setting individual patches for all the Biab instruments. That is time consuming but you have access to better quality sounds than the GM bank which is usually fairly basic.

What would be really good is if one of the Biab users has posted a MOXF patch map for Biab. If it's there look up Patch Map in the Biab help file and see if the MOXF is there. It's possible a different Yamaha synth might work too.

I don't know how much you understand about midi, GM, patch maps and all that. If you know nothing about that then what I just wrote won't mean much. It's tricky for a noob. If you understand this then it may be easy. Just put your Yamaha into GM mode and hit play in Biab. If that works then look into a full patch map.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
What Bob said, with a small exception.

I've never heard the MOXF series, but I have owned the ES and XS and now a Montage (76 key versions all) and I had always ignored the GM bank on the ES & XS until someone HERE on these forums (forget who or when) mentioned I should actually give it a try.

If the MO series has same ROM sounds as the XS/XF does then I think you'll find the MOXF GM set is a lot better than you would think, actually it is very good, at least in the Motif XS/XF series (and now the Montage).

However, no matter how good the GM bank is to your ear (or not) you will find BETTER individual sounds in other Mo patches. But that, as Bob said, is more work.

Good luck
Larry

and better than some dedicated GM modules.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
You may be assuming this synth has a GM mode .. I don't see it on the initial specs.

Just sayin

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Surprised I missed that. Thanks Larry

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
I miss stuff, including Grand Canyon sized holes, all the time (see thread on Korg legacy grin )

R
R
I have a MOXF8 and also have not been able to get sounds from it to work. I did not find a moxf .pat file, though there is a .dx (drums), so I created a .pat and will send it to support once I know it actually works. If someone wants it quickly to verify, email me @ rick.morin@cox.net to give it a try. in return please guide me. I looked at several of the other .pat files and see a ZEROBASED line in many of them, wondering what that is about? The pat looks like this:

; Author Rick Morin on 7-23-2020
; Created from the Yamaha MOXF Data List PDF. It contains all 9 presets with 128 voices.
[GM]
1.0.0=Piano:Concert Grand Piano
2.0.0=Piano:Rock Brite Piano
3.0.0=Piano:CP 2007
; etc...

Now that I have the .pat I've tried a few thing but can not get BIAB to work with my moxf. Here are some of my settings:

MOXF
- song mode, on a song I mapped some sounds in the mixer
- Quick Setup 6 VST Mode (not sure that's correct)
BIAB
- midi in Ch1
- midi out ch3

Hoping someone can help.

Best,

Rick

Expert
Expert
Hi aa7im

I have downloaded the Yamaha motif xf cakewalk ini file and checked it for errors in my ins file checker no errors found.
So I converted it to a BIAB pat file for you to download from my boxnet, link below.

https://app.box.com/s/8basp95gmw88paz79m9y9d3pp8n6qf1p

Once downloaded copy to your C: bb \ data \ util \ synth kits folder.
Then you will be able to select it from the mixer via Select midi instrument patch / select high bank pat file then from the pop up window open pat this will give you the list of available pat files in the above folder. Select the one you just put there and click open.
This pat will stay in force until you change it.

Hope this helps you get going.
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
R
R
Mike,

The Motif XF and MOXF are two different Yamaha Synths. They share the same sounds but the presets in the data list are not the same (though very similar). I appreciate the effort but I don't need the .pat, as i made one already. However I will grab it to compare to mine.

What I need is guidance on how to setup the BIAB Midi settings and the MOXF settings so the two communicate properly. I was a technical person before retirement so I'm familiar with the concept of reading the manual and digging to answer the question on your own but I have not found a video or manual section I'm able to use to piece together a solution.

Are you able to have a Midi track in BIAB play the sound from your Motif? That's what I'm trying to get to work, BIAB midi playing the sound on my MOXF rather than the synth sounds provided. The sound will be better, and I'll have a lot more choices to work with. I am thinking there may be two ways of accomplishing that, one is via the .pat and the other is to use the MOXF VST3. Being a newbie... not sure that's correct. I have yet to get either way to work. I find all this routing business challenging and time consuming.

Thanks

Rick

Expert
Expert
Hi again
As I said in the later part of my last post.
Once downloaded copy to your C: bb \ data \ util \ synth kits folder.
“Then you will be able to select it from the mixer via Select midi instrument patch / select high bank pat file then from the pop up window open pat this will give you the list of available pat files in the above folder. Select the one you just put there and click open.
This pat will stay in force until you change it.”

As you have your own pat file do the same with that.
Once you have made it your active pat as above. To use your voices,
On any midi track click on the down arrow far right and pull down, select midi instrument then from the popup window chose higher bank from pat file,
You will now have access to your Motif voices.
I assume that you have your synth plugged in and set as an input and output device in midi settings. (See pic)
Note the synth needs to be on when you start BIAB.

Mike

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
MIDI.jpg (168.64 KB, 103 downloads)

R
R
Mike,

Truly appreciate your trying to help me resolve this.

I have the whole 1st part of your answers down... I have the .pat installed in correct path on my MacBook Pro and I can pick from it. It doesn't product sound because I must have something wrong in the midi connections.

I am set up on a MacBook Pro. Am I correct in thinking your midi setup attachment is the windows setup?

I can attach some screenshots of my attempt at the midi setup if you think that would help.

Also I ran into something suggesting there was a good video on how to set BIAB up to play sounds on an external synth but I have failed to find it. If you're aware of anything that would be help please point me.

Best!

Rick

Expert
Expert
Hi

Originally Posted By: Rick Morin
Mike,

Truly appreciate your trying to help me resolve this.

I am set up on a MacBook Pro. Am I correct in thinking your midi setup attachment is the windows setup?

I can attach some screenshots of my attempt at the midi setup if you think that would hel

Rick

Yes i will have a look but you are right i am a windows user.
Just a thought do you have your keyboard connected and talking to the Mac
Don’t know if you need Yamaha drivers for this?
Do you have another prog like logic to try with?
Sorry more questions than answers.
Mike

R
R
Mike,

So I now can get BIAB to play the sound on my MOXF but the sounds don't correspond to what I pick in the higher bank patch. For general midi it's off one. So some of the midi connections are correct and I assume a setting is wrong or the patch needs to change.

I use Cubase 10 as my DAW and everything midi works properly there. I do have the BIAB Plugin working as well.

I found a workaround as I can open the Yamaha MOFX VST3 in cubase in song mode, create midi tracks within it and then drag/drop the midi tracks from the BIAB plugin into the moxf vst midi tracks. I can easily pick whatever sound I want in this fashion. But it would be great to have this option in BIAB.

My other hobby is golf, so frustration is no stranger!

Thanks,

Rick

Expert
Expert
HI Rick

This is the Zero based / one based thing.
General midi is 0 based 0-127 for patch names
Where as Yamaha keyboards are one based 1- 128.
This is where one / zero based option comes in.
A good pat file should take care of this for you.

Here is a one based GM patch bank for Motif Yamaha Synths, for your pat file.

1.0.0=Pn:Concert Grand Piano
2.0.0=Pn:Rock Brite Piano
3.0.0=Pn:CP 2007
4.0.0=Pn:Honkytonk
5.0.0=Kb:E.Piano 1
6.0.0=Kb:E.Piano 2
7.0.0=Kb:Harpsichord
8.0.0=Kb:Brite Clavi
9.0.0=Cp:Celesta
10.0.0=Cp:Glocken
11.0.0=Cp:Music Box
12.0.0=Cp:Vibes
13.0.0=Cp:Marimba
14.0.0=Cp:Xylophone
15.0.0=Cp:Tubular Bell
16.0.0=Cp:Dulcimer
17.0.0=Or:Draw Organ
18.0.0=Or:Percussive Organ
19.0.0=Or:Rock Organ
20.0.0=Or:Church Organ
21.0.0=Or:Reed Organ
22.0.0=Or:Accordion
23.0.0=SW:Harmonica
24.0.0=Or:Tango Accordion
25.0.0=Gt:Nylon Guitar
26.0.0=Gt:Steel Guitar
27.0.0=Gt:Jazz Guitar
28.0.0=Gt:Clean Guitar
29.0.0=Gt:Mute Guitar
30.0.0=Gt:Overdrive Guitar
31.0.0=Gt:Distortion Guitar
32.0.0=Gt:Guitar Harmonics
33.0.0=Bs:Acoustic Bass
34.0.0=Bs:Finger Bass
35.0.0=Bs:Pick Bass
36.0.0=Bs:Fretless Bass
37.0.0=Bs:Slap Bass 1
38.0.0=Bs:Slap Bass 2 vel
39.0.0=Bs:Synth Bass 1
40.0.0=Bs:Synth Bass 2
41.0.0=St:Violin
42.0.0=St:Viola
43.0.0=St:Cello
44.0.0=St:Contrabass
45.0.0=St:Tremolo Strings 2
46.0.0=St:Pizzicato
47.0.0=St:Harp
48.0.0=Cp:Timpani + Cymbal
49.0.0=St:Strings Section 1
50.0.0=St:Strings Section 2
51.0.0=St:Synth Strings 1
52.0.0=St:Synth Strings 2
53.0.0=Pd:Aah Choir
54.0.0=Pd:Ooh Choir
55.0.0=Pd:Syn Voice
56.0.0=Me:Orchestra Hit
57.0.0=Br:Trumpet 2
58.0.0=Br:Trombone 2
59.0.0=Br:Tuba
60.0.0=Br:Mute Trumpet
61.0.0=Br:French Horns
62.0.0=Br:Brass Section
63.0.0=Br:Synth Brass 1
64.0.0=Br:Synth Brass 2
65.0.0=SW:Soprano Sax
66.0.0=SW:Alto Sax
67.0.0=SW:Tenor Sax
68.0.0=SW:Baritone Sax
69.0.0=SW:Oboe 2
70.0.0=SW:English Horn
71.0.0=SW:Bassoon 2
72.0.0=SW:Clarinet 2
73.0.0=SW:Piccolo
74.0.0=SW:Flute
75.0.0=SW:Recorder
76.0.0=SW:Panflute
77.0.0=SW:Bottle
78.0.0=SW:Shakuhachi
79.0.0=SW:Whistle
80.0.0=SW:Ocarina
81.0.0=Ld:Square Lead
82.0.0=Ld:Saw Lead
83.0.0=Ld:Calliope Lead
84.0.0=Ld:Chiff Lead
85.0.0=Ld:Charan Lead
86.0.0=Ld:Voice Lead
87.0.0=Ld:Fifth Lead
88.0.0=Ld:Bass & Lead
89.0.0=Pd:New Age Pad
90.0.0=Pd:Warm Pad
91.0.0=Pd:Poly Synth Pad
92.0.0=Pd:Choir Pad
93.0.0=Pd:Bowed Pad
94.0.0=Pd:Metal Pad
95.0.0=Pd:Halo Pad
96.0.0=Pd:Sweep Pad
97.0.0=Me:Rain Pad
98.0.0=Pd:Sound Track
99.0.0=Cp:Crystal
100.0.0=Pd:Atmosphere
101.0.0=Sc:Brightness
102.0.0=Me:Goblin
103.0.0=Me:Echoes
104.0.0=Pd:Sci-Fi
105.0.0=Et:Sitar
106.0.0=Et:Banjo
107.0.0=Et:Shamisen
108.0.0=Et:Koto
109.0.0=Cp:Kalimba
110.0.0=SW:Bagpipe
111.0.0=Et:Fiddle
112.0.0=SW:Shehnai 2
113.0.0=Cp:Tinkle Bell
114.0.0=Dr:Agogo
115.0.0=Cp:Steel Drum
116.0.0=Dr:Woodblock
117.0.0=Dr:Taiko Drum
118.0.0=Dr:Melodic Tom
119.0.0=Dr:Synth Drum
120.0.0=Se:Reverse Cymbal
121.0.0=Se:Fret Noise
122.0.0=Se:Breath Noiz
123.0.0=Se:Seashore
124.0.0=Se:Tweet
125.0.0=Se:Telephone
126.0.0=Se:Helicopter
127.0.0=Se:Applause
128.0.0=Se:Gunshot

Hope this helps

Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 07/30/20 02:06 AM. Reason: patch map appended

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rick and welcome to the forum. I have to laugh about this because this me me about 15 years ago. The fact you used to be a tech guy means absolutely nothing when it comes to digital audio and midi. It's a whole new world and you can throw all your computer/IT/ and whatever else tech knowledge you have right down the dumper.

First thing to know as a nooby on these forums is to identify what version of Biab you have and your computer specs right up front. That avoids what happened here where Mike didn't know you were a Mac user until halfway through the thread. Some will run Windows on a Mac using parallels or something so if you're using Biab for Windows fine but if you're using the Mac version why are you posting this on the Biab for Windows forum? There is a Biab for Mac forum listed below this one and I would shut this thread down and open a new one there.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
R
R
Bob,

Re being on the windows forum... I did that because I found the topic was already posted and added on. I didn't realize there was separate windows and mac forums, so I'll respect that moving forward. Clearly the midi set up is very different so the need is understood.

Re Pat files, I wonder if there is any real difference between the content of the files used in windows?

Thanks for the tip... I'll post on the Mac forum.

Best,

Rick

R
R
Mike,

The [GM] section of my pat is set up exactly like yours, so I don't believe that's the issue. I got another response in which the person tells me that I should be posting on the Mac forum... which I will do. I actually have it sorta working, but the sound I pick and the sound I get are two different things. There are a lot of possible reasons so I'll keep digging.

Best!

Rick

R
R
All,

I have BIAB playing the Yamaha MOXF8 voices properly. Some of the key learnings:

1) MOXF has to be in song or pattern mode as that is where it can play multiple channels (multi timbrel).
2) Create a MOXF Song or Pattern that matches up to the channels in BIAB. The channels you see when you chose BIAB OPTIONS > MIDI SETTING. Depress the MOXF mixing button, you now see the Voicenum, Bank MSB, Bank LSB. Yamaha voicenums are 1-128 not 0-127.
3) BIAB OPTIONS > INPUT/OUTPUT PORTS are set to 1.

I have a .pat file that also works... which allows me to pick higher bank voices on the MOXF. For more advanced Yamaha users, I can also use the Remote Editor to assign voices and save all the setting.

Many thanks to Bad Mister on the Yamaha Forum helping me resolve this. When I am satisfied my patch file is 100%... I'll forward it to support.

Best,

Rick

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195