You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#610415 - 08/12/20 11:27 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Hearing real time effects in real band
goofeyfoot Offline
Apprentice

I am simply trying to record a guitar part onto a real band song. The song was originally generated in the band in a box.

Is there some way I can hear the effects while I’m playing them rather than only hear them after the recording is done?

Seems like there should be a way to do that but I can’t figure out what it is.

Thanks.

Michael
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core Processor. 3.79 GHZ; RAM = 32.00 GB; 64 Bit Operating System; Windows 10; Focusrite 8i18 External Card; Real Band; Band in a Box; Coyote Forte Wave Table; Oxygen 49 MIDI Controller

#610432 - 08/12/20 02:44 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Hearing real time effects in real band [Re: goofeyfoot]
Loc: Mi., USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

In Audio Prefs, enable Input Monitoring. This lets you hear them.
You can optionally choose to also record the IM signal (or record dry and FX later).

Then on the selected (armed) track right-click and select Port, scroll to bottom and select Input Monitoring as the Port.
(this was from memory so some details/labels may be a little off)
I can verify in a bit and add images.

Added images..

Attachments
Post attachments only available when logged in

Edited by rharv (08/12/20 02:53 PM)

#610445 - 08/12/20 04:47 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Hearing real time effects in real band [Re: goofeyfoot]
goofeyfoot Offline
Apprentice

For some reason I don’t get the input monitor port that you’re showing. All mine shows is my Focusrite box.

Also if I select ASIO call my sound sounds muddy. I don’t know what’s going on.
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core Processor. 3.79 GHZ; RAM = 32.00 GB; 64 Bit Operating System; Windows 10; Focusrite 8i18 External Card; Real Band; Band in a Box; Coyote Forte Wave Table; Oxygen 49 MIDI Controller

#610530 - 08/13/20 06:39 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Hearing real time effects in real band [Re: goofeyfoot]
Loc: Windsor, Ontario
Marty Ricciotti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Windsor, Ontario
What you are seeing here is exactly the type of reason I switched away from Real Band.
I watched a few of the "how to record your band" videos on Reaper.fm and everything seemed so easy and trouble free.
I installed the 60 days for free version of Reaper and never looked back.

of course that is only my experience, but the Reaper videos walk you through everything so easily.

Maybe there is similar stuff available for RealBand but I never found it.

#610534 - 08/13/20 07:41 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Hearing real time effects in real band [Re: goofeyfoot]
goofeyfoot Offline
Apprentice

Well I’m not experienced enough to make any judgments about the quality of any particular application.

All I can say is if I plug a guitar into Real Band, I should be able to: (a) hear myself playing, (b) hear real time affects, and (c) record the track. If I can’t be done then there’s some sort of a problem I would think.

Probably something I am doing wrong, but I have no idea what it is.

#610591 - 08/13/20 02:53 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Hearing real time effects in real band [Re: goofeyfoot]
rharv Offline
Veteran

What Focusrite Box?

If it is an audio Interface and the sound is muddy you have something set wrong.
In my top image I had the WAS driver selected (which I never use). The ASIO Focusrite drivers have worked flawlessly for tens of thousands of people including me.
It is important to get them set up right, but once you do it should work as advertised.
I know many of us have used this feature.

Is the Track you've selected to record on set to be an Audio track (track type).
If it is a MIDI track you won't see the Input Monitor option shown in my second image.

Edited by rharv (08/13/20 02:54 PM)

#610595 - 08/13/20 03:02 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Hearing real time effects in real band [Re: rharv]
goofeyfoot Offline
Apprentice

To answer your question, yes it is an audio track. It is just a guitar plugged straight into the Focusrite box. Just thought maybe I could record the guitar direct like that and take advantage of the built-in effects in real time (i.e. not applied after the take), but it is sounding like this is not possible.

The Box is Focusrite 18i8.

Thanks.

Michael

Edited by goofeyfoot (08/13/20 03:04 PM)

#610597 - 08/13/20 03:19 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Hearing real time effects in real band [Re: goofeyfoot]
rharv Offline
Veteran

It should definitely be possible,
and listening to audio via the 18i8 ASIO should NOT be muddy unless something is set up wrong.
Post screen shots please.
May need to include how the Focusrite Mixer is set up too (separate app).

Also make sure the Focusrite settings match the bitrate you are using in RB.
And you could also try enabling ASIO always on (image below).

Like I said, if you could post screen shots of the settings it would probably help a lot.
Calling the Focusrite 18i8 'the Focusrite box' is ambiguous; try to be clear and concise so we can help better.

Attachments

Edited by rharv (08/13/20 03:22 PM)

#610598 - 08/13/20 03:22 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Hearing real time effects in real band [Re: goofeyfoot]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
You may need to check the inputs that your guitar is plugged into. Maybe you're not getting enough input signal. I believe you can also view the inputs in Realband and you can see if that is high enough.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2020, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#610616 - 08/13/20 05:19 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Hearing real time effects in real band [Re: goofeyfoot]
goofeyfoot Offline
Apprentice

Screen shots are attached.

Attachments

#610673 - 08/14/20 08:59 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Hearing real time effects in real band [Re: goofeyfoot]
Loc: UK
Bob Calver Offline
Expert

Loc: UK
personally - and i stress this is a personal opinion - i'd record without fx. i know some guitarists like to play to the fx - like delay but if you record with fx that's what you get and you are stuck with it. some of the guitar Real Tracks have a di version and you might like to experiment with the di track and amplitube to see what you can get from a simple straight input. you can vary the drive from slightly dirty to screaming lead. you can add delay and change the repeats and timing to suit the song. add chorus and play around with the settings. and its non destructive - tomorrow you can tweak it if you've had second thoughts.

in the dim and distant days when i used pro studios, the feeling was that a guitarist might like to record the drive/overdrive sound of a pedal or processor or rack to get 'their sound', but add time based fx on the desk.

it's purely a preference and i can see why you might want to hear overdrive when you play to play to the sustain you get but even then i'd find it easier to use a pedal like a tube screamer to set the drive and distortion i like (my favorite is an Ibanez Mostortion i bought years ago) as twiddling physical knobs to get the sound I want is easier than manipulating digital fx with a mouse.

#610701 - 08/14/20 02:22 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Hearing real time effects in real band [Re: goofeyfoot]
rharv Offline
Veteran

EDIT - I see in another thread you say it is working better now.
Therefore take the below with a grain of salt.

I'm pretty sure BiaB files are 14/44. Try setting your ASIO driver to 16/44 instead of 24 .. that's the first thing I see.

Once we solve the 'sounds like noise' issue we can look at Focusrite mixer.
We may need to see the Input side, you showed the output side.

The Focusrite mixer takes a little tinkering with sometimes to get things to go wehre they are expected, but it should not sound bad at all.

#610706 - 08/14/20 02:57 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Hearing real time effects in real band [Re: goofeyfoot]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Expert

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
I tended to record in Sonar and had it set to record flat (without effects) however it still had effects on it whilst playing I prefer to hear guitar that way. Only the recording did not have the effects. Similar can be done in Reaper by setting up the recording point on the way into the track (before effects) rather than out (after effects). That allowed me to add effects later including what Amp Sim I wanted. For example use TH3 on the way in then maybe Guitar Rig on the final product.

Understand however having effects turned on can increase latency so don’t have too much going on at the same time. I.E. don’t have a bunch of MIDI tracks going to synths and something like Ozone of the Master track (you’ll be waiting an age to hear your note)

I don’t know if setting up the record point can be done in RealBand (I don’t use it)

Edit: having another look, Cakewalk records flat even though I have effects on the track so nothing really requires setting.

Tony

Edited by Teunis (08/14/20 04:09 PM)

#610719 - 08/14/20 04:09 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Hearing real time effects in real band [Re: goofeyfoot]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Yes, you can Monitor (hear) the FX in real time, but record the track either with/without those FX.
Been that way for many years, and very few complaints, so pretty sure it was some kind of config issue.

PG Music News
Video - 202 New RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows®!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020, we added 202 new RealTracks! There are brand-new RealTracks for Jazz, Blues, Funk, Latin, Pop, Rock, World, Country, Americana & Celtic, and more!

Get the newest RealTracks Sets 353-375 when you purchase the PlusPAK upgrade (ideal for 2020 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+ customers) for just $99 during our special (reg. $129).

Want the entire RealTracks Sets 1-375 collection with over 3,100 RealTracks? They are included with any Band-in-a-Box 2021 for Windows UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Check out our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows® - 202 New RealTracks Overview, which demonstrates the newest RealTracks Sets 329-352.

NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 10 & MultiStyles PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

We've just released some amazing new Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020!

Xtra Styles PAK 10 with 50 styles each for Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Folk Celebration! These carefully crafted RealStyles include lo-fi acoustic guitar hip hop, triple-guitar garage rock, a barbeque boom-chick jam, slidin' lazy country blues, bolero and bossa nova fusion, a Gypsy and stride ballad, praise break organ jazz fusion, surfin' folk rock, barn dance old-time stomp 'n' clap, an acoustic folky blues jam, and so much more!

Introducing MultiStyles PAK 1! 30 MultiStyles containing 120 styles - that's a total of 150 Styles! We've included 10 MultiStyles each for Country, Jazz, and Rock-Pop. Our jazz greats MultiStyle allows you to switch between piano and guitar comping, or select from two different solos. Our Jamaican groove selecta allows you to switch from ska at one section to reggae, island groove, or reggae with sax solo at another. A Tex-Mex country MultiStyle allows you to switch between a regular-time and double-time feel. And that's just the beginning. There's so much more in store! Once you dive into these professionally-mixed MultiStyles, you'll wonder how you ever made due with only two substyles per song! Use one substyle for a softer intro, another one for a restrained breakdown, then throw in a different and energetic middle-eight, or change it up with a solo. The possibilities are endless!

And they're ON SALE!

Xtra Styles PAK 10, and ALL our Xtra Styles PAKs, are on sale for $29 (reg. $49) each! Haven't purchased Xtra Styles yet, but now you want them all? The COMPLETE collection of Xtra Styles PAKs 1-10 with over 1,600 RealStyles can be yours for only $199 (reg. $349)! There's also an option to purchase the newest Xtra Styles PAKs 9 & 10 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for a bundle price of $49, if you missed out on our previous special! www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Purchase MultiStyles PAK 1 for only $19 (reg. $29)! Adding the 2021 49-PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows purchase? No need to buy this separately, MultiStyles PAK 1 is included with it! www.pgmusic.com/addons.multistyles.php?os=win

Mac user? Click here for your OS specific product announcement.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows is HERE!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows with over 50 new features, 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2020- save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks and the just-released MultiStyles PAK 1) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows at: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

200+ Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Where would music be today without the sultry sounds of the Saxophone? Fortunately, because of Adolphe Sax, we don't have to find out!

Today we celebrate his birthday, and with that a nod to our extensive collection of Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Saxophone RealTracks sound so amazing that they were one of the first RealTracks we developed and released for the program with Band-in-a-Box® 2007! Now there are more than 200 Saxophone RealTracks available for Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, Funk, and Pop!

Our Saxophone RealTracks Artists include:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

Click on their name to be taken to their bio page where you can learn more about the artists and listen to demos of all their RealTracks.

Forum Stats
33293 Members
67 Forums
66451 Topics
569323 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
jobi777, Chauthu.forex, BuddyHolly, thienminhforex, Ademir Pacheco

33292 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 265
Pipeline 260