Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#610670 08/14/20 05:33 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Over the years I have heard some PDG original songs offered by many of our forum members, my question is why are you wonderful songwriters not testing your songs before worldwide live audiences via live streams?

To me it would seem to be a very cost effect way to not only get your tunes heard but to receive instant feedback from real people. I know from experience that these audiences welcome original music, in fact there are a few regulars that do entire shows of their original songs on one of the venues I play.

Just wonder if "our" forum songwriters are aware of these venues?

Later,

Last edited by Danny C.; 08/14/20 05:41 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My guess Danny is that some of the folks that write songs here may not be live playing musicians but rather studio-only musicians. Others could probably try those avenues though.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
I write professionally, but only perform recreationally. I've played a great many songwriter shows, and sometimes I still do - but at my age/stage of life, live performance isn't a priority or desire of mine. I like the behind-the-scenes nature of what I do.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
Over the years I have heard some PDG original songs offered by many of our forum members, my question is why are you wonderful songwriters not testing your songs before worldwide live audiences via live streams?

To me it would seem to be a very cost effect way to not only get your tunes heard but to receive instant feedback from real people. I know from experience that these audiences welcome original music, in fact there are a few regulars that do entire shows of their original songs on one of the venues I play.

Later,

Got any links to these "worldwide live audiences"? I'm familiar with Street Jelly but every time I go there it seems like the vast majority of artists performing have only a tiny handful of listeners, often just a couple. I think this is a lot like every other "opportunity" in that you have to work really hard to gain any significant audience and prolly bring your own fan base at a minimum.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've tuned in to a few live stream shows of well established artists that have numerous CD's/downloads that have been successful and there were only of handful of people watching.

While live streaming may be successful someday, for now you could make more money and get a bigger audience busking.

One of the main reasons I've always avoided trying to make money playing music is that I couldn't possibly care any less about what people want to hear. If they don't want hear what I'm playing, they should just go away. I would always refuse to play requests even when folks asked me to play songs I know and like.

I've always played for my own enjoyment, not other peoples enjoyment.

All of the songs I've written were created because they were meaningful to me.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You can go live on Facebook, Youtube, or Twitch too. You'll need OBS, a camera, some kind of physical or virtual mixer and a GOOD mic. My system has Logitec C270 cameras (3 of them - front, left and right), an XML 900 mic (soon to become an EV RE20) and a GoXLR mixer.

One big thing is to NOT watch your live stream from the viewer's side. Watch it from your side only. If you watch what the viewers see you will also see the lag and it will be like singing the national anthem in a big stadium. You will hear "Oh say can you 'oh say can you' see 'see'....) The first time I streamed a live "talk show" on youtube I actually had youtube running and tried to watch what the viewer(s) were seeing and it was a nightmare. No matter your speed is, your speed upstream is usually 10% of your speed downstream. So if your ISP gives you 120 mbps down, you will likely see no more than 12 mbps up. And to transmit video, that is not a lot of bandwidth.

The downside of the setup I have is that this room where it's all set up is rather small. I could probably pull it off. I just don't know if I want to move what I need to do live music from the music studio upstairs to the media room downstairs to stream 45 minutes and then move it all back up.

What's the other one that isn't Street Jelly Danny?

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: sslechta
My guess Danny is that some of the folks that write songs here may not be live playing musicians but rather studio-only musicians. Others could probably try those avenues though.

Yep....I'd guess that equation to be about 50/50.

Danny:
As far as performing my originals on live streaming sites?
Personally, even though I did upload a couple of my originals to youtube (I played rhythm axe) and some cover tune play-alongs, I don't have any illusions that performing my originals with BIAB backing tracks would actually have any mass appeal.
That requires a level of confidence in one's original material that I don't posses.
Seeing myself on camera was also a difficult mental hurdle for me to get passed. smile

Plus, I don't think the subjects I choose to write about cater to any popular genre or listening audience.
IE: country, love songs, story telling folk music, slow ballads and rap.

A good weekend to all....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 08/15/20 12:43 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Before the Covid-19 thing came along I played with some friends of mine who were pretty young. This was live at good venues where at least two or three hundred people were there.

I don't need money. I have enough. I let the band keep whatever I may have made.

The issue I had and still have is I like to write in several styles which is to much work for most young musicians to learn. Also some venue owners want to only hear a certain style of music. For this and many other reasons, old age, health problems, I have less and less desire to play live. Secondly, I don't need anyone else to like or dislike me and I certainly do not want to become well known. Been there, done that, and got the T-Shirt.

I assume there are many people here that write music because they like it. They do it for their own amusement and amazement. It obviously feels good when someone hears something you write and says they like it. But for myself I have gotten to the stage I have very little need for other peoples approval.

Many people only attach value to something based on how much money it makes and how popular it becomes. I know personally many well known artist and listen to a wide range of music in several languages and really enjoy them. Having said that, most of the CD's in my truck are my own stuff.

I don't think it is very important what others think of me or what I think about them. What is important is what I think about myself. When I am happy with who I am everything just goes really well.

For those of you who need to make money with music, and who need to become well known, there has never been a better time than now. But...be aware of who you are competing with and do the work needed to become professional. I don't know anything any harder to do than become a true professional at than music.

The very best of luck to all of you,

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Well, Danny, I'm not sure, but I think it's because recording and producing a song in my home studio is completely different than performing that song live. And also, once I produce a song with all of the Real Tracks and it becomes what I intended or what I originally heard when I wrote it, singing the song by myself while playing acoustic guitar never sounds right. There's no lead guitar, there's no cello, there's no drums. In most cases, I would need at least a live trio to even get close to my recordings.

As an example, 'The Storm' has an instrumental break with harmonica and piano, heck, the song is built around those two instruments. Now, I can play a version of the song singer-songwriter style, and I've worked out an acoustic guitar lead, but then I have to spend a fair amount of time practicing that lead until it's solid. Meanwhile, there are other songs to be written and/or recorded.

Having said that, I'm thinking more and more about singing a few tunes via Facebook live. There's a new Facebook group tailored to my area. There's a schedule and it's only one performance at a time, 30 minute sets. I went live on Streetjelly recently, to see if I remembered how to broadcast mostly, but I'll bet it's been over a month.

Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Eddie,

There is also StagIt and Twitch and of course FB. There was one called Krue but poorly mismanaged and they went under. But there were some big tippers in that large audience for sure.

For songwriters I was just thinking it would be an easy way to get your songs heard and be able to present them like no one but the writer can. I was just curious, nothing else.

Later Eddie!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Obviously not for you, thanks for the time to answer my question Billy. As far as trying to become famous or get someone to like me, even make money at it that for sure isn't this old cat's goal. I was just thinking it would be a good venue for writers to showcase their work.

Take care,

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Fully understand, thanks for the time to feed my curiosity.

Stay well,

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: Danny C.

Later,

Got any links to these "worldwide live audiences"? I'm familiar with Street Jelly but every time I go there it seems like the vast majority of artists performing have only a tiny handful of listeners, often just a couple. I think this is a lot like every other "opportunity" in that you have to work really hard to gain any significant audience and prolly bring your own fan base at a minimum.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel, and I have nothing to sell here, I thought it might be a great way to get original music heard. But thanks for your time to reply.

Re: links my last show had audience members fro GB, Japan, Australia, the Philippines, Canada of course and India. A Google Red Pin map is provided to each artist after each show, along with complete breakdown of financials and audience "in room" info etc.etc.

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the time to reply Roger.

Stay Well,

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Great point Steve, thanks for the reply.

Take Care,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
That requires a level of confidence in one's original material that I don't posses.

You remember there was a scene in (I think) Moonstruck where Cher slaps a guy and yells "Snap out of it!"? That is required here. Your songs tell your stories, and nobody else can tell your stories. That means that by default, you are doing it right. And as I always say just before I go on stage (not THIS year though - thanks Covid!) "No matter how many bad notes you hit, you still play better than those people in the audience who DON'T play!"

Quote:
Plus, I don't think the subjects I choose to write about cater to any popular genre or listening audience. IE: country, love songs, story telling folk music, slow ballads and rap.

I can think of only one way to find out, right?

I have watched a fair amount of Street Jelly and I often come away with this thought. While what I just watched was NOT a great singer a la Sinatra or Buble, when I DID see was a good entertainer, and that's what matters. Is the performer entertaining. Danny C is a REALLY good entertainer. The mix of folksy humor and down home-ness makes for a very pleasant show. His music and playing fits his overall show. Plus he has that really cool Nawlins accent, and that automatically makes ANYBODY cool!

I go through a vocal confidence crisis every time I post a song. (I haven't done much lately.) And the comments I get all have the same trending idea that while I am not in the aforementioned category of Sinatra and Buble, my voice fits the mood and lyrics of my songs. I did one a while back called I Hope Somebody Cries, and it's a story of my life, much like what you do, and as I was singing it I LITERALLY had a picture of Johnny Cash on my 2nd monitor, because as I performed the vocals I wanted to envision Johnny Cash singing it. If he were alive, he and the song would have been perfect for each other. And many of the comments I got completely disregarded the nasal quality of my voice and went right to the story that the lyrics told.

And that's how I see what you just said. Just go for it.

Remember. Everybody is great. The world just doesn't know it yet.

Last edited by eddie1261; 08/16/20 06:05 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am really confused by that reply, Scott. If you wrote them with PG tracks, why WOULD you perform them solo? Just pull your vocal track out, render them out to MP3 and play the backing tracks. Geeze, bands do that live all the time. You see a trio with a front singer on stage but you hear keys, horns, lush backing vocals.....

It takes some gear and a good amount of prep to learn how to stream, but you can do it. And you should. You have a strong voice that fits your work perfectly.

Last edited by eddie1261; 08/16/20 01:41 PM.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I get your points 1261...

I guess I feel I know my place in the music world.
I don't really promote my song writing efforts other than showing my s/c site (12 years) in my signature and on a couple of other music sites.
(This is a pretty thorough site that I've been on for some years: https://www.tdpri.com/forums/)

I don't write what I perceive to be 'commercially viable" or "having mass appeal" material.
Hence, my fan (singular :)) base is non-existent for those reasons and the fact those that did listen did not find them noteworthy or appealing.

I write songs as creative therapy....and constantly pimping my material with those lofty hopes we're discussing here seems pointless.
Should someone listen to my drivel and/or comment favorably...well...that works for me.

Yep...my singing, reminiscent of a dull chain saw, is my biggest hurdle to overcome too.
But...I keep plugging along although no new song ideas at this moment.

(EDIT: Ive checked out SJ and few times. Danny C. puts on a great show and exhibits a very friendly persona without a lot of the trite small talk. I don't go there often for a couple of reasons)

A good day to all....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 08/16/20 11:07 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Danny, Other than occasionally writing on the keyboard I rarely play - No great loss. I've always been a much better singer than I ever was a player.

Aging means, I can't wear contacts anymore or see without my glasses. I gained 10 lbs since my last avatar picture in March. I've got to get used to more of me to love....ha!

But while I'm working the excess weight off the biggie I'm trying to overcome is that my music room is a long rectangle with all these doors - six to be exact plus two windows. There's also a low hanging ceiling fan right in dead center. It's a multi purpose room with yellow walls. I'm trying to work out how to get a good background for nice looking camera shots in there. Long shots are impossible without a bunch of cropping and masking. And I hate all the shots so close up in my face. I haven't had a lot of luck with the green screen because it's hard to get far enough out from it not to get artifacts. There's so much post I'd have to do just to get a decent video. So far I haven't been happy with the results of any I've tried. PM me some suggestions if you have any.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This turned into a really great thread!! The biggest issue I have had virtually attending these shows is that I usually have something of higher priority going on. When it's a Sunday night I am watching football. Other nights often conflict with hockey, etc.... And I have tuned into Danny's stream twice over the years at 7pm MY time just to see him say goodnight because he played at 7pm HIS time. Yeah... I know.....

As far as streaming to 4 or 5 people, well, I can only tell you that Brian Culbertson tells the story of how, early in his career, he played herein Cleveland and there were 6 people in the audience. But the spirit carries on and he did his show as if it was to 600. The old "I don't care. I play for me." chestnut, while true, only prompts the question "Then why are you here?" Sit at home and play your 1000 song catalog to your dog and cats. If it gives you satisfaction to play to nobody, you do you!! You can award yourself the "songwriter of the year here in my house" award every year, win some "Homey Awards".... whatever satisfies your soul, because in the final countdown, you are the only one you need to impress.

Danny donates his tips. That's his motivation. And I laud that. I may do a stream, but between audio and video, I have 6 weeks of prep before I'd be ready to do that. We'll see.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195