Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I am simply trying to record a guitar part onto a real band song. The song was originally generated in the band in a box.

Is there some way I can hear the effects while I’m playing them rather than only hear them after the recording is done?

Seems like there should be a way to do that but I can’t figure out what it is.

Thanks.

Michael

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core Processor. 3.79 GHZ; RAM = 32.00 GB; 64 Bit Operating System; Windows 10; Focusrite 8i18 External Card; Real Band; Band in a Box; Coyote Forte Wave Table; Oxygen 49 MIDI Controller
Veteran
Veteran
In Audio Prefs, enable Input Monitoring. This lets you hear them.
You can optionally choose to also record the IM signal (or record dry and FX later).

Then on the selected (armed) track right-click and select Port, scroll to bottom and select Input Monitoring as the Port.
(this was from memory so some details/labels may be a little off)
I can verify in a bit and add images.

Added images..

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
IM-Monitor.jpg (135.81 KB, 104 downloads)
IM.jpg (139.19 KB, 104 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 08/12/20 11:53 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
For some reason I don’t get the input monitor port that you’re showing. All mine shows is my Focusrite box.

Also if I select ASIO call my sound sounds muddy. I don’t know what’s going on.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core Processor. 3.79 GHZ; RAM = 32.00 GB; 64 Bit Operating System; Windows 10; Focusrite 8i18 External Card; Real Band; Band in a Box; Coyote Forte Wave Table; Oxygen 49 MIDI Controller
Apprentice
Apprentice
What you are seeing here is exactly the type of reason I switched away from Real Band.
I watched a few of the "how to record your band" videos on Reaper.fm and everything seemed so easy and trouble free.
I installed the 60 days for free version of Reaper and never looked back.

of course that is only my experience, but the Reaper videos walk you through everything so easily.

Maybe there is similar stuff available for RealBand but I never found it.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well I’m not experienced enough to make any judgments about the quality of any particular application.

All I can say is if I plug a guitar into Real Band, I should be able to: (a) hear myself playing, (b) hear real time affects, and (c) record the track. If I can’t be done then there’s some sort of a problem I would think.

Probably something I am doing wrong, but I have no idea what it is.

Veteran
Veteran
What Focusrite Box?

If it is an audio Interface and the sound is muddy you have something set wrong.
In my top image I had the WAS driver selected (which I never use). The ASIO Focusrite drivers have worked flawlessly for tens of thousands of people including me.
It is important to get them set up right, but once you do it should work as advertised.
I know many of us have used this feature.

Is the Track you've selected to record on set to be an Audio track (track type).
If it is a MIDI track you won't see the Input Monitor option shown in my second image.

Last edited by rharv; 08/13/20 11:54 AM.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
To answer your question, yes it is an audio track. It is just a guitar plugged straight into the Focusrite box. Just thought maybe I could record the guitar direct like that and take advantage of the built-in effects in real time (i.e. not applied after the take), but it is sounding like this is not possible.

The Box is Focusrite 18i8.

Thanks.

Michael

Last edited by goofeyfoot; 08/13/20 12:04 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
It should definitely be possible,
and listening to audio via the 18i8 ASIO should NOT be muddy unless something is set up wrong.
Post screen shots please.
May need to include how the Focusrite Mixer is set up too (separate app).

Also make sure the Focusrite settings match the bitrate you are using in RB.
And you could also try enabling ASIO always on (image below).

Like I said, if you could post screen shots of the settings it would probably help a lot.
Calling the Focusrite 18i8 'the Focusrite box' is ambiguous; try to be clear and concise so we can help better.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
ASIO_settings.jpg (115.76 KB, 49 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 08/13/20 12:22 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
You may need to check the inputs that your guitar is plugged into. Maybe you're not getting enough input signal. I believe you can also view the inputs in Realband and you can see if that is high enough.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Screen shots are attached.

Screen2.png (469.77 KB, 47 downloads)
Screen 1.png (395.21 KB, 46 downloads)

Expert
Expert
personally - and i stress this is a personal opinion - i'd record without fx. i know some guitarists like to play to the fx - like delay but if you record with fx that's what you get and you are stuck with it. some of the guitar Real Tracks have a di version and you might like to experiment with the di track and amplitube to see what you can get from a simple straight input. you can vary the drive from slightly dirty to screaming lead. you can add delay and change the repeats and timing to suit the song. add chorus and play around with the settings. and its non destructive - tomorrow you can tweak it if you've had second thoughts.

in the dim and distant days when i used pro studios, the feeling was that a guitarist might like to record the drive/overdrive sound of a pedal or processor or rack to get 'their sound', but add time based fx on the desk.

it's purely a preference and i can see why you might want to hear overdrive when you play to play to the sustain you get but even then i'd find it easier to use a pedal like a tube screamer to set the drive and distortion i like (my favorite is an Ibanez Mostortion i bought years ago) as twiddling physical knobs to get the sound I want is easier than manipulating digital fx with a mouse.

Veteran
Veteran
EDIT - I see in another thread you say it is working better now.
Therefore take the below with a grain of salt.

I'm pretty sure BiaB files are 14/44. Try setting your ASIO driver to 16/44 instead of 24 .. that's the first thing I see.

Once we solve the 'sounds like noise' issue we can look at Focusrite mixer.
We may need to see the Input side, you showed the output side.

The Focusrite mixer takes a little tinkering with sometimes to get things to go wehre they are expected, but it should not sound bad at all.

Expert
Expert
I tended to record in Sonar and had it set to record flat (without effects) however it still had effects on it whilst playing I prefer to hear guitar that way. Only the recording did not have the effects. Similar can be done in Reaper by setting up the recording point on the way into the track (before effects) rather than out (after effects). That allowed me to add effects later including what Amp Sim I wanted. For example use TH3 on the way in then maybe Guitar Rig on the final product.

Understand however having effects turned on can increase latency so don’t have too much going on at the same time. I.E. don’t have a bunch of MIDI tracks going to synths and something like Ozone of the Master track (you’ll be waiting an age to hear your note)

I don’t know if setting up the record point can be done in RealBand (I don’t use it)

Edit: having another look, Cakewalk records flat even though I have effects on the track so nothing really requires setting.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 08/14/20 01:09 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, you can Monitor (hear) the FX in real time, but record the track either with/without those FX.
Been that way for many years, and very few complaints, so pretty sure it was some kind of config issue.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199