Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
OP Offline
I've installed BIAB UltraPak+ on my 2018 MacBook Pro and it's been crashing constantly. I'll enter a few measures of chords and then audition several different styles. After about ten minutes of this, the program crashes and I have to re-start.

Also, does anybody know what the BBM4 application is that's in the BIAB folder? Does it need to be launched?

Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
BBM4 is a background application the plugin uses to perform some Band-in-a-Box functions.

I'm sorry I can't help with your first question.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
w Offline
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: andymarx
I've installed BIAB UltraPak+ on my 2018 MacBook Pro and it's been crashing constantly. I'll enter a few measures of chords and then audition several different styles. After about ten minutes of this, the program crashes and I have to re-start.

Also, does anybody know what the BBM4 application is that's in the BIAB folder? Does it need to be launched?

Thanks.

Well that's not good although it is an interesting problem or quirk you have discovered !

This may or may not help could you provide us an example of what you did when you wrote so that we could try to duplicate that problem ?

Quote:
I'll enter a few measures of chords and then audition several different styles.

On the other hand the gurus at Mac Band may already know the answer .

Mac Audiophile 2020 2019 2018 2017 USB plus previous years versions

macOS Mojave - 10.14.6 @ Aug 16, 2019

iMac i3 3.6 GHz 8GB RAM 4K with Retina display

some examples @ sound cloud done with Mac Band and DAW's : https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
OP Offline
After entering some chords, I then open the style picker and audition different styles. Then, after several minutes, the program crashes and I have to re-start. It's done it on my 2019 iMac, my 2019 MacBook Pro, and even when running the program off the USB dirve that PG Music supplies. I have emailed PG Music support and provided them with the crash logs, so hopefully, they'll have an answer.

S
S
Happens to me as well. Very exasperating. It happens when I run it from the USB drive. Copied the files to a new SSD drive - same result. Installed BB 2019 to my internal hard drive same thing.

Expert
Expert
I have some issues but not that.

If BBM4 is causing the problem, that should show up in the crash logs, Console.app or both.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
I purchased the download version of BIAB Pro for Mac 2019. I had some installation issues, at first, too.

It turned out that the installation was incomplete. The Installer put some packages in my Root folder that needed to be installed. The original disk images unpacked those packages but never executed them. Once I ran those packages and installed the missing files, all was well. Maybe you're having the same issue?

Somewhere I read that some packages would be installed as Devices. When they didn't appear in Devices, that's when I dug deeper and found them in the HD's Root folder.

Maybe that will be of some help to you, I hope.

From Page 10, Chapter 1, 2019 Band-in-a-Box Mac Manual.

"Band-in-a-Box Folder
The /Band-in-a-Box folder has a clean look with three application files - Band-in-a-Box, Band-in-a-Box-32bit, and BBM4 (used for the Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin). The rest of the files are in subfolders.
The folders include the Drums folder for RealDrums files and the RealTracks folder for RealTracks files. If any of these folders is moved or the files are installed in a custom location, the new location must be entered in the RealDrums Settings dialog or the RealTracks Settings dialog so that Band-in-a-Box knows where to find them.
The Preferences you set in the program are saved in the Preferences folder, and this folder also has a file named Intrface.BBM with all the program settings including MIDI and audio driver setup. If this file is removed to the trash the program will open like a new installation the next time it runs. It will prompt for all initial setup selections. This is useful as a “global reset” if there are system settings that have been changed by accident."

There's your answer to BBM4 app.

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
Since the last update the crashes have gotten worse and worse. Got the gray screen and had to CMD + control + power button forced reboot to get unfroze. Restarting in Safe Mode was how I finally got the machine back up and running tonight. Did a Hardware Test restart, then a Disk FirstAid and no problems found in either place.

FYI, PG Music, it acts like it's running out of memory, like maybe your code has a memory leak. Either that, or something to do with MIDI, because I'm running a Roland A-49 Keyboard MIDI Controller. Which, by the way, gives me no trouble in Studio One 4.

I'm one month on BIAB Pro. Before that, my machine was stable; never a crash.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Use the Rebuild commands in the Style Picker and Song Picker windows, especially after installing a new version or update.

RayL

MacBook Pro mid 2014 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM
MacOS Big Sur 11.7.1
Studio One Professional v5.xx,
Logic Pro 10.7.4
PreSonus USB AudioBox 1818VSL

Running BIAB from the external 2023 HD supplied by PG
P
P
Yes, I too am getting frequent crashes. I'll make a more careful note about what does it next time. At the time, I'm usually in the middle of trying to construct a song. smile

iMac 2018, Catalina 10.15.1 BiaB 2019 64-bit
MacOS 11.3.1 Big Sur Mac Mini
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: parisslim
Yes, I too am getting frequent crashes. I'll make a more careful note about what does it next time. At the time, I'm usually in the middle of trying to construct a song. smile

Yes, if possible please let us know specifically when that happens / what triggers it - In the mean-time perhaps you could install this new build 317. One thing this addresses is a crash related to note-based lyrics in a song, however I'm not sure if this would address your problem.... we need more specific information about it. This build is not posted on the site yet as it is a pre-release build. If it introduces any problems for you, you can always revert to the previous build (found in Band-in-a-Box/Data/Backup)
https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/patches/bb2019_mac_update_build317.pkg

Originally Posted By: johne1
FYI, PG Music, it acts like it's running out of memory, like maybe your code has a memory leak. Either that, or something to do with MIDI, because I'm running a Roland A-49 Keyboard MIDI Controller.

I think this is probably an unrelated problem. And I think you may be right that it is related to an interaction with some hard drive device on your system (though I haven't specifically seen this problem before). For starters, I would suggest unplugging the device and using Band-in-a-Box for a while by itself - Check Sound settings in system prefs that input and output are set to "internal".

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
I start using BIAB on november 2019, I can confirm, I got crashes a few times, I noted that it happens surely when you change quite a lot of styles, listening the chords with a new style, after 15 or more changes, BIAB get freeze, I ask myself if it's not a buffer problem, I have 16 go ram memory and I use logicpro flawless with a lot of plug-ins.
it seems it's better with the 317 update...
it's my feel. have a nice day.phil

MacBookPro M1 max, BIAB audiophile 23, Logicpro X, UAD apollo, ASR10, marshall, Vox, Guitars...
S
S
Hello!
I just bought the 2019 version last month, installed it on my mac 2019, running mojave, and it crashes often too. The crashes always happen when I'm in the style picker, listening to different styles. Has anyone figured out a solution to this?

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Can you see if this happens with this new build (319)?
https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/patches/bb2019_mac_update_build319.pkg

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Crashes in the Style Picker can sometimes be fixed by using the Rebuild command (in the Style Picker window). This is especially important to do after any new version update is installed.

RayL

MacBook Pro mid 2014 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM
MacOS Big Sur 11.7.1
Studio One Professional v5.xx,
Logic Pro 10.7.4
PreSonus USB AudioBox 1818VSL

Running BIAB from the external 2023 HD supplied by PG
L
L
Andrew,

Suddenly, I couldn't load any styles without biab shutting down and leaving an error message. After finding this post, I downloaded the build you suggested to the other person.

Now, I am able to change styles, but every 4-5 bars, there is a loud static sound -- it is not associated with any of my sound equipment or interference of any kind.

Your help is always appreciated. Suggestions, please. Thanks.

Expert
Expert
Did you try the slow rebuild? If not, do so.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I have the same crash problem as other users in BIAB 2019 including the static click. The 321 update hasn't improved matters.

Additionally, in the Stylepicker I'm finding there's a 6-second delay before the 'Play using current chord sheet for song' activates. It was virtually instant in earlier non-64 bit versions of BIAB.

Mac mini Mid-2010, 2.4GHz 8Gb RAM, High Sierra.

Pt.1 of my biog: https://amzn.to/34tgVn1
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
but every 4-5 bars, there is a loud static sound

Is this a burst of white noise that happens all the time at a regular interval? This sounds like an unactivated plugin is being used. Amplitube for example will do this if the trial period has expired. Check the plugins window...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thankfully update 325 has fixed most issues. Gratitude to PG Music.

Ric

My biog Pt.1 https://amzn.to/3aDHdof

Pt.1 of my biog: https://amzn.to/34tgVn1
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199