Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
ReneB Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I have upgraded from BiaB 2018 to BiaB 2020 for Windows and now when I render a song to a wav file it takes very long. Most of the time it is writing a file DRUMS_TEMP_RENDER.WAV. In BiaB 2018 this was much faster.

Does anybody else have this problem and faound a solution?

Thanks for any proposal of a solution

Rene Burkhardt

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rene,

There are a number of ways to render a song to wav file.

Can you please explain, step by step, what you do.

Once you explain your process, we on the forum can test it and try to replicate your issue.

In the meantime, go to the link below, download update #728 and install it if your version of BIAB is not up to date.

https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

To see what version of update you are running, have a look under "Help | About Band In A Box". The update number will be in brackets following the version 2020.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
R
ReneB Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi Noel,
I have Band in a Box Version 2020 (728) and I am exporting with menu 'Audio: Export song as audio file'.

I just have discussed with the Live Help and together with the Supporter I have detected the reason:

When converting a song .mgx file into a .wav file and both files are on a local drive, then the conversion takes about one minute.

But when one of the files is on a network drive, the conversion takes about 20 minutes.

It can not be the speed of the network, the network drive is on a NAS and i have transfer speeds up to 100MB/s.

I just have written a mail to support@pgmusic.com describing the problem.

Last edited by ReneB; 08/22/20 06:38 AM. Reason: typing errors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ReneB
But when one of the files is on a network drive, the conversion takes about 20 minutes.

It can not be the speed of the network, the network drive is on a NAS and i have transfer speeds up to 100MB/s.

I have recently noticed that my WD-MyCloud NAS network drive is incredible slow. I have to find sometime to figure out what has changed and why. Just sayin...

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Does this mean that the OP’s RealDrums are on a different place that the RealTracks when there is the serious delay?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
If I am reading this correctly, it seems the files are on a network drive and have to be transferred over the network rather than being stored on a local or usb drive of the computer.

If this is correct then this is the first time I have heard of a user attempting this.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
Rene,

And MGX file means that you've loaded a multitrack MIDI file onto either the Melody or the Soloist track. I imagine that this would slow things down.

Do you need all the instruments in the MIDI file or were you only after the melody from that file?

If it's possible to remove some of the MIDI tracks you don't need in the MIDI file, it would speed things up.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ReneB

I just have written a mail to support@pgmusic.com describing the problem.

Just a guess, but transfer speed comparisons might not be the same when rendering a song.
As far as I know, rendering involves an 'interweaving' process of the source files. This means requesting small chunks repeatedly from different drives.
A continuous stream of data is much different; so transfer speed measurements itself may be misleading.
I use multiple drives, but all internal, which works well.

Another thing to add to the equation in your situation is other network traffic. That can affect how fast the NAS actually receives the request, and how quickly its reply gets back to the system. Since it is a lot of small requests, this can add up quickly ..
I've often wondered about doing what you are doing (using network storage) so this is interesting, at least to me.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
R
ReneB Offline OP
OP Offline
R
The whole BIAB installation is installed on the local C-drive, I only want to have my valuable source files (MGX, MGU, etc.) on a NAS where I can access them also with the laptop and where everything is backed up.

I render by using menu 'Audio: Export Song as Audio File' or the Icon named 'wav'.

When I copy the source MGX or MGU or SGX file to a local drive and then I start the rendering from that copied file it takes about 1 minute. But when I start the rendering by using as source MGX or MGU or SGX file directly from the mapped NAS drive it takes more than 20 minutes.

Updating, playing etc. of a source file loaded from the mapped causes no problems, its only the conversion to wav which takes very long.

I have now detected that when I only have midi instruments the conversion is always fast. As soon I use for one track a real instrument, the conversion gets slow.

Regards
Rene

Veteran
Veteran
Well, Rene this isn't a PG Music problem. You're the first I've heard in 15 years on this forum that somebody wants to render Biab tracks from a network drive.

My suggestion is to keep everything on your local drive or a local external like the PG hard drive or one of your own, keep the files on your local system and then set up auto backups after the fact.

Read the install instructions when you first install everything. Three choices. One, install everything including all the RT/RD files on your C drive, two, install Biab/RB programs only on the C drive but access the RT/RD's from the external drive or three, don't install anything but the small font file and run everything from the external drive.

I've run speed tests and don't notice any difference at all between those three. I would have thought it would be faster to use option one, install everything onto the system drive but when I tested generaton times they were so close that any difference was trivial. Since I have a 256 gig system SSD I use option two because the programs themselves only take a few gigs of space.

There are no references anywhere that I know of that there is a fourth option, run from a network. It's only when people do stuff that is not documented anywhere that they run into issues.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
As jazzmmamal said on his replay, this is not a problem of BIAB itself.

Nowadays it's normal to see professional workflows on many areas, where a lot of important data is handled trough and by local or remote storage systems, thing that a few years ago was a elite thing only for big companies but now is getting to the home users.

Now, why i'm saying this?; There's something that we can't forget and is that All local networks are on constant activity and the performance of the communication and data exchange between the attached devices can be affected by a lot of factors, some of them can be controlled, others not. To be able to control this factors and have a fail-proof system, you need a really strong and capable structure, and then you can think on using it on bandwidth intensive tasks.

By the nature of digital audio, is required an almost instantaneous access to the data chunks of the file being read; This is much more important when comes to rendering and converting files, and beside of the CPU, the main factor that affects the speed and the quality is the available bandwidth for the conversion.

I've been doing NAS and file transfer systems on my local network for some time, and i can give you some technical tips to get the most out of the performance of your network:
  • Install and use the best Hard Drives / SSDs you can afford for your NAS.
  • Configure you RAID in the most convenient type for the use you'll going to give it.
  • If your NAS is being used only by your computer, use a secondary network adapter to communicate with the drives, this avoids any problem caused by incoming or outcoming connections overloading the network adapter, that could slow the data-transfer speed.
  • Use the best quality cables, this is vital to have a good connection quality.
  • Always use the best rated OS and software on you NAS, this will let you troubleshoot any malfunction with plenty of information.

You have to remember that, even with the best system you can afford, you'll always have the limitation of the speed, because the network doesn't have the same speed that a SATA or M.2 ssd or even a mechanical drive, therefore, the speed and performance of you conversion will fall too.

The best thing you can do, is get a USB external drive and access the RealTracks and RealDrums from there, i wouldn't recommend to use them on a local storage on network.

Last edited by Nucleox; 08/23/20 02:04 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,611
Posts735,067
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185