Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#613677 - 09/04/20 09:24 AM [User Showcase] The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level)
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

A folk rocker from Spirit Level ( for those unfamiliar, we are ScottC and RobertKC of this forum).

In February 1808, the American whaling ship Topaz came unexpectedly upon Pitcairn Island, landed, and discovered the thriving community of 19 children, 9 Tahitian women and John Adams, the only surviving HMS Bounty mutineer.

The Last Savage Gentleman

My apologies to a well known forum member for misuse of his moniker in the lyrics!

Style is _REFLECT.STY (Reflective Folk Rock)

RealTracks in style: ~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2548:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkSorrow Ev16 090
RealTracks in style: 638:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RootsRockTremolo Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 3158:Fiddle, 5-string, Rhythm AmericanaMountain16thsABAndy ev16 070
RealTracks in song: 3157:Fiddle, 5-string, Rhythm AmericanaMountain16thsAndy ev16 070
RealDrums :RockHardLA^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Loose HiHat

Scott`s guitars: Fender Stratocaster
Amp : Marshall
Effects: Eventide H9’s, JCRockett Lenny

The Last Savage Gentleman

gather round children I`ll tell you a tale
of mutiny murder and exile
stranger than fiction put away your fairy tales
for a drunkard redeemed paradise defiled
my name is John Adams
the last savage gentleman

scanning the haze with fears ablaze
in straw hat and striped pajamas
only man alive 19 bairns 9 wives
is having another vision
wake up all survivors
his eyes like snapping scissors

sails white sails a whaler sails
bows down on the horizon
no ship we`ve seen these 18 years
here on Pitcairn Island
bring my bible to the beach
a knife between your teeth

dead all dead the whaler`s mate is led
here`s one stabbed with a rusty spoon
by cutlass musket and betrayal
Fletcher Christian gone too soon
will you take me now to hang

I`ve been fierce with drink read my gospel at the brink
your chains now I`ll not refuse
between the lash and the law
tell me sir what would you choose
my tropical perdition
or the muddy hole of England

fate is kind that veils its hand
my story who would believe
at the ends of the earth I`m a grain of sand
all I command a pistol shot from the sea
my name is John Adams

© Robert Cordrey May 2020

#613691 - 09/04/20 12:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Robert & Scott,

"Folk Rock" is a perfect description - you captured both sides of that well.

A interesting story and you told it well.

Scott's guitar is very nice - might be my favorite of his - loved the tone. nicely played and fit well.

Good vocal and harmonies.

The change up at the end was effective. And a cool ending.

fj

#613763 - 09/05/20 03:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Wow, this is really good, guys smile

Nice arrangement and mix, good vocals and Scott is right in the pocket with his contributions.

A really interesting story very well told, I checked him out on Wikipedia after listening.

I've always been a fan of your collaborations, and this is right up there with your best I think, well done.

#613775 - 09/05/20 06:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

This reminds me of a kind of sea shanty. Good story. Well sung and produced. Scott’s guitars adds some perfect touches. I enjoyed it a lot, Tom

#613785 - 09/05/20 06:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Sounds great guys!

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#613811 - 09/05/20 11:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Interesting straightforward story, I enjoyed the lively singing and the backing vocals as well, kind of lighter version of Nick Cave. The band fits perfectly with the mood, I couldn't imagine this song without Scott's trademark playing. Spirit Level is very welded together.

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#613859 - 09/05/20 08:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

One of the world's great stories ably retold. I'll be looking at it again soon, thanks to this. Nice band. Scott's play was just great...sometimes doubling, sometimes harmonizing, and sometimes leading the way. A wonderful package down through the false ending.
BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#613870 - 09/05/20 10:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Just another day looking up something that RKC used for inspiration. : ) You're keeping us on our toes, Robert! I'm a big fan as you know, and this fit your oeuvre well. Actually, it was something I had already done a little reading about, so I was able to just kick back and enjoy it. A fine collab, would like to hear more like this and I got a feeling I will. Fine work, gentleman!

#613923 - 09/06/20 09:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: jannesan]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert & Scott,

"Folk Rock" is a perfect description - you captured both sides of that well.

A interesting story and you told it well.

Scott's guitar is very nice - might be my favorite of his - loved the tone. nicely played and fit well.

Good vocal and harmonies.

The change up at the end was effective. And a cool ending.

fj

Thanks Floyd! I agree Scott does a great job of embellishing the song with taste...my tastes are a little off beat, but he always gets into the spirit (the secret of our longevity?)

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Wow, this is really good, guys smile

Nice arrangement and mix, good vocals and Scott is right in the pocket with his contributions.

A really interesting story very well told, I checked him out on Wikipedia after listening.

I've always been a fan of your collaborations, and this is right up there with your best I think, well done.

Dave,
I`m glad you found the subject interesting ( took some liberties with details which seemed fair game for a story told many times but with very little in the archives available to check).
Thanks for your thumbs up!

Originally Posted By: tommyad
This reminds me of a kind of sea shanty. Good story. Well sung and produced. Scott’s guitars adds some perfect touches. I enjoyed it a lot, Tom

Thank you for listening, Tom!

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Sounds great guys!

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Interesting straightforward story, I enjoyed the lively singing and the backing vocals as well, kind of lighter version of Nick Cave. The band fits perfectly with the mood, I couldn't imagine this song without Scott's trademark playing. Spirit Level is very welded together.

Janne

Janne,
Now there`s a guy drawn to the dark side ( I came across Mr Cave on a Thai beach long ago).
I appreciate your listen and comments.

Robert

#613947 - 09/06/20 03:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Robert & Scott

Enjoyed that - well written and played. The history of Pitcairn is certainly interesting, recall reading about some issues there a few years ago.

Really well done as always.

Peter

#614004 - 09/07/20 07:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Thanks everyone for checking out the song. This was a fun project. My favorite line was "in straw hat and striped pajamas". We used this line a lot when we were kids talking about jail birds.

#614117 - 09/08/20 05:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
I was more than a little obsessed with Pitcairn as a teen. Various versions of Mutiny and its ties with Australia strengthened it.
You've essayed a particularly interesting part of it's history.
I'd relabel it psych folk rock.
The fate of Pitcairn after 2000 has been mired by the worst offences of men.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#614155 - 09/08/20 09:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: TuneMonger]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
One of the world's great stories ably retold. I'll be looking at it again soon, thanks to this. Nice band. Scott's play was just great...sometimes doubling, sometimes harmonizing, and sometimes leading the way. A wonderful package down through the false ending.

Glad this found an echo with your interest in the story: I discovered the Charles Nordhoff Bounty trilogy on Kindle recently- they are well researched and entertaining fictional takes I hadn`t read before.
Yes;Scott`s guitar moves this well past a folk ballad!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Just another day looking up something that RKC used for inspiration. : ) You're keeping us on our toes, Robert! I'm a big fan as you know, and this fit your oeuvre well. Actually, it was something I had already done a little reading about, so I was able to just kick back and enjoy it. A fine collab, would like to hear more like this and I got a feeling I will. Fine work, gentleman!

Thanks for your listens and support!
We first tried this kind of folkrock a couple of years ago:
https://soundcloud.com/user-564042721/the-devils-punchbowl-with-scottc
The more recent Americana RT`s make a more authentic sound easier to achieve now.

Robert

#614160 - 09/08/20 10:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Veteran

My second favorite by Spirit Level hands down.
Really well done musically. Excellent drive. Great story! Robert & Scott this is good music.
Listened several times, the only thing that I thought was strange, it started a bit abruptly, but I guess this is how you wanted. If it was mine, I would probably add a few seconds of seabird sounds up front for intro. Enjoyed it very much. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#614174 - 09/08/20 12:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Hi Spirit Level,

So lovely this song! A very nice tale (lyrics).
I can almost see children with tension in their eyes listening to this story of the last savage gentleman!
A very nice 'solo' played by Ray. He must have been enjoying himself very much. I could see that too!
And your singing is very nice. 'Decent' I would call it. Like a gentleman, not a savaged one.

I am convinced we'll hear a lot more from the Spirit Level.
does the name sais something of the amount of drinks you use when making those songs? (a bit kidding)

Hans

#614311 - 09/09/20 08:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Robert & Scott

Enjoyed that - well written and played. The history of Pitcairn is certainly interesting, recall reading about some issues there a few years ago.

Really well done as always.

Peter

Thanks Peter!

Originally Posted By: rayc
I was more than a little obsessed with Pitcairn as a teen. Various versions of Mutiny and its ties with Australia strengthened it.
You've essayed a particularly interesting part of it's history.
I'd relabel it psych folk rock.
The fate of Pitcairn after 2000 has been mired by the worst offences of men.

That`s a label I like (options are limited on Soundcloud).
I think those awful offences on Pitcairn go back before 2000; its gut-turning reading and one reason I chose the best of the mutineers to lift up in song!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
My second favorite by Spirit Level hands down.
Really well done musically. Excellent drive. Great story! Robert & Scott this is good music.
Listened several times, the only thing that I thought was strange, it started a bit abruptly, but I guess this is how you wanted. If it was mine, I would probably add a few seconds of seabird sounds up front for intro. Enjoyed it very much. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha,
I`m glad you didn`t object to my use of the rusty spoon and happy you liked the music.
That`s a valid comment about the abrupt opening; yes, maybe some waves crashing & boat
creaks would be a better start.

Robert

#614457 - 09/10/20 08:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
"his eyes like snapping scissors"

A small snippet that really stuck with us out of a fabulous write. What an amazing story and
imagery.

Well, "fate is kind that veils its hand" stuck around also. Ah, heck every line could be parsed and
discussed positively smile

It's a lyric, it's poetry and it reads like a microcosm of a rich novel.

The vocals, guitar performance, band and mix are all excellent and give this story a wonderful musical
delivery.

Impressive indeed.

J&B

PS Now off to educate ourselves better on the genesis of this production...

#614620 - 09/11/20 04:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Thanks to everyone who has checked out the song. Your support is very much appreciated.

#614850 - 09/13/20 08:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Spirit Level,

So lovely this song! A very nice tale (lyrics).
I can almost see children with tension in their eyes listening to this story of the last savage gentleman!
A very nice 'solo' played by Ray. He must have been enjoying himself very much. I could see that too!
And your singing is very nice. 'Decent' I would call it. Like a gentleman, not a savaged one.

I am convinced we'll hear a lot more from the Spirit Level.
does the name sais something of the amount of drinks you use when making those songs? (a bit kidding)

Hans

Hans,
Its ScottC, not Ray playing those guitars...Spirit Level are more exhibition than prohibition,but please don`t mix our music with the strong stuff!
I appreciate your listen and always personal and interesting comments.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"his eyes like snapping scissors"

A small snippet that really stuck with us out of a fabulous write. What an amazing story and
imagery.

Well, "fate is kind that veils its hand" stuck around also. Ah, heck every line could be parsed and
discussed positively smile

It's a lyric, it's poetry and it reads like a microcosm of a rich novel.

The vocals, guitar performance, band and mix are all excellent and give this story a wonderful musical
delivery.

Impressive indeed.

J&B

PS Now off to educate ourselves better on the genesis of this production...

J&B,
Thank you for mentioning the scissors... and all the other nice observations!

Robert

#614894 - 09/13/20 01:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Last Savage Gentleman ( Spirit Level) [Re: Robertkc]
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Ai!!!
I misread that. It's Scott playing the lead and being part of the Spirit Level. Excuse me.
After I wrote my post, I was thinking how come that Punker ray also can play smooth and gentle solo's? But Ray can do a lot. Like Scott.

But I also forgot to say how I liked the rhythm of this song. i tried to 'catch' this rhythm too, but never succeeded (or something else came in).

Thanks Robert,
Hans

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Boot Camp: An introduction to 10 major features and new RealTracks!

We've made a great tutorial feature for 7 of the 10 major features of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows.
(the other 3 drum stems, track settings, and ReMix Vocal Songs will be covered in "Boot Camp, part 2/2" - coming soon!)

Here is Part 1/2: Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Boot Camp: An introduction to 10 major features and new RealTracks!

Table of Contents:
All Tracks are Equal 00:50
Playable RealTracks 9:00
MultiRiff 24:35
MicroChords 38:24
Motifs 48:51
Volume Node Automation 51:18

Coming soon in part 2:
Drum stems
Track Settings "One-Stop-Shop"
ReMix Vocal Full Songs
222 new RealTracks
1-Click Downloader/Installer

NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 12 for Band-in-a-Box®!

If you love our existing Xtra Styles PAKs, you'll definitely want to have a listen to our NEW Xtra Styles PAK 12, with 200 more fully-produced styles! 50 each for: Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and our new Blues styles option!

Video: Xtra Styles PAK 12 Demos

Order this month and save 40%! During our Xtra Styles PAK 12 special, which ends December 31st, all of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-12 are on sale for just $29 each (reg. $49)! Looking for more Xtra Styles PAKs? You can purchase our complete library of all 2,000+ RealStyles with the Xtra Styles PAK 1-12 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)! Learn more & order now.

Note: These Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® version 2021 or 2022.

RealBand 2022 is Here!

There are over 30 new features to RealBand 2022, including the ability to install multiple VST plugins from a folder at a time, improved Audio Chord Wizard detection routines, the ability to record mixer movement for the masters/subgroups, new Transpose/Stretch All Tracks dialog lets you transpose/stretch/reduce all tracks and then conveniently save to a new file, the new settings to save selected tracks only and exclude muted tracks when saving all tracks to individual files, the option to save all tracks to a compressed format, and much more.

RealBand is included in ALL Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases – during our special (which ends December 31st) to save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in RealBand 2022 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows is here! There are 50+ new features, 222 new RealTracks(20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 12, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2021 - save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2022 packages during our special, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows.

Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!
(November 24)

Don't own a Jukebox? Well, if you have Band-in-a-Box®, you actually do with the Jukebox feature!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® songs within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, Harmony Settings, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening.

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual.
Mac Jukebox details found here.

Tell Us Your Favorite Band-in-a-Box Features

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We'd love it if you shared your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we absolutely LOVE getting feedback!

Take a peak at other posts while you're there - you never know... someone else's favorite feature might become yours too!

RealTracks Artist Pat Martino

We are saddened to hear of the passing of jazz guitar legend Pat Martino yesterday.

Pat was part of our RealTracks Artist "Jazz Pollwinners 2" series in 2014. You can learn about Pat and listen to his RealTracks contribution here.

Pat had been playing guitar since he was just 12 years old, and devoted himself to music in grade ten. On top of years of performing (he began playing professionally in 1961), Pat received many awards for his playing, including the "Jazz Legacy" Award in 2016 presented by Pennsylvania State Senator Vincent Hughes and his wife Sheryl Lee Ralph-Hughes.

Learn even more about Pat Martino when you visit his website, http://www.patmartino.com/.

Forum Stats
35208 Members
63 Forums
71739 Topics
625010 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
msmcleod, More Cowbell, Guitman321, guibs, Max4910

35208 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 448
Matt Finley 247