You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#613749 - 09/04/20 11:01 PM [Beginners Forum] MGX files ?
Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Bernard Rasson Offline
Enthusiast

Hello everybody,

can someone tell me what are MGX files (under BIAB 2015)? I have 9 or 10 ones in my song directory; they seem to be a species of MGU files but I failed to see why they have a different extension
and they are mentioned zero (0) times in the manual

pgmusic should maintain an index of all file extensions used by BIAB

thanks in advance,
Bernard Rasson

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français

#613753 - 09/04/20 11:17 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Bernard Rasson]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Bernard.

When looking through the manual, I usually open the PDF file found in /bb, and then search it with CTRL+F. When I did that with MGX, the manual had a small section about MGX files on page 179 (this is the 2015 Manual).

Basically....

If one loads a multitrack MIDI file into BIAB -- say a MIDI file that was found on the internet -- the file will load all tracks onto either the Melody track or the Soloist track.

When this is saved as a BIAB file, the file will have an MGX extension.

In other words, if your file has .MGX, it means that it contains a multitrack MIDI file on the Melody or Soloist track.

Normal BIAB .MGU files are a single MIDI track. On the top menu, if you select "Melody | Track Type", you'll see what I mean.

Regards,
Noel

#613762 - 09/05/20 03:29 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Noel96]
Bernard Rasson Offline
Enthusiast

thank you so much Noel
now that I think of it, I do quite often use the "open midi file" menu item to inspect the chord chart of a song
I am still learning new ways to use chords every week or so

best regards,
Bernard

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français

#613769 - 09/05/20 05:26 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Bernard Rasson]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Bernard,

I can tell from your posts that you're reading your way through BIAB's possibilites.

It's a brilliant program and it's got a massive amount of potential under the hood. Even now, after starting with it in 2006, I'm still finding new things out about the software.

Just in case you haven't found this part of the PG Music website, yet, the link below will take you to a collection of video clips that might be useful.

https://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

All the best with taming BIAB!

Regards,
Noel

#613888 - 09/06/20 04:02 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Noel96]
Bernard Rasson Offline
Enthusiast

thank you very much Noel
I only knew about the New Real Tracks and Xtra Style Paks videos
your help is very much appreciated
best regards,
Bernard

Je parle français

#613900 - 09/06/20 05:33 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Bernard Rasson]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Noel, I haven’t checked this but aren’t all of those other possible extensions deprecated now? I thought you would just get MGU or SGU now.
BIAB 2022 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Swam horns, Audition, Notion 7; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

#613905 - 09/06/20 05:52 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Bernard Rasson]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Matt,

I just this minute tried loading a midi file onto the Melody track and saving it as a BIAB file. With BIAB 2020 (730), the BIAB file saved as MGX.

I'm not absolutely certain about this but I think the file types that have been done away with are MG1, MG2, etc., which used to be songfiles based on the built-in styles.

Sooner or later, John Ford might jump in and enlighten us a bit more. He's much more versed in how BIAB has grown historically than I am.

All the best,
Noel

#614680 - 09/12/20 07:20 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Bernard Rasson]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
.mgx files are those with embedded multichannel MIDI. Since the MIDI is in either the melody or soloist track, it has to be an mg-something, rather than sg-something.

Laptop-HP Omen I7-10750H Win10Pro 32GB 2x1TB SSD/2TB SATA
Desktop-ASUS-I7-3770 Win10Pro 32GB 3x2TB SATA

BB2022/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com

#614705 - 09/12/20 09:59 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Bernard Rasson]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Thanks for the clarification, Noel and John.
BIAB 2022 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Swam horns, Audition, Notion 7; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

#614720 - 09/12/20 12:05 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: MGX files ? [Re: Bernard Rasson]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
AudioTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I'm a little late to the party on this, and while MGX may not be referenced in the manual, I did find this in the Help:

The [Copy Melody to Melody Track] is a utility function that should only be used when the style is "finished." Prior to executing this command, the Melody track contains the entire MIDI file with all of the parts. This "MIDI-file-on-the-Melody-track" is used to create the style. Once the style is created, you might want to extract the actual Melody track from the MIDI file to put on the Melody track. The channels used are the channels that have the BB Part set to "Melody." When you do this command, you get a chance to first save the MGX file (i.e. the file with the MIDI file on the Melody track), so that you can revisit the file. This "Copy Melody to Melody Track" is useful to audition your new style, because you can then hear just the Melody along with your style.
BIAB & RB2022(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

PG Music News
Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard"

Getting together and playing music and writing songs is a wonderful way to spend some free time!

Recently, a few of our Forum members did just that... and they made a video to prove it!

Check out what Charlie Fogle, Eddie, Herb, Pat Marr, David Snyder got up to - and how they did it: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard"

...hopefully it inspires you to keep the fun in making music!

How to: Replace a RealTrack with a MIDI Track in Band-in-a-Box®

Starting with a RealStyle in Band-in-a-Box®, and want to make one of your tracks a MIDI track? See how this is done using the MIDI Track Picker dialog with our video How to Replace a RealTrack with a MIDI Track in Band-in-a-Box®.

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

Band-in-a-Box® Tuba RealTracks

Today (May 6) is International Tuba Day!

Celebrate your love for the Tuba today - add one of our Tuba RealTracks (available in Sets 143, 162, and 248) played by either Brad Muirhead or Philip Santner.

Already have a Band-in-a-Box® song with a Tuba? Share it here!

How to: Search for RealTracks in Band-in-a-Box®

Looking for a specific RealTrack for your song? See how easy it is to search by keyword or file name when you watch our latest video, How to Search for RealTracks in Band-in-a-Box®.

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Today!

Using Band-in-a-Box 2022 for Windows? Great news! We've released a free update that enhances many of the MIDI features and Drum Stems tracks, updates the program manual and documentation, and resolves a few user reported issues.

This free update includes additional enhancements to the DAW Plugin, and updates it to version 4.5.33.

Make sure you download this free update today!

Learn more...

How to: Capturing and Adding a Screenshot to the PG Music Forums

The PG Music Forums is packed with an incredibly active community, always happy to discuss and share Band-in-a-Box tips, help with any questions other users have, and of course share their songs!

Want to know how to add a screenshot to your forum post? Follow the steps in our helpful video tutorial.

Band-in-a-Box® Utility Tracks User Tip

#TipTuesday

Utility Tracks were added to Band-in-a-Box® with version 2021. With this feature, there are now 16 editable Utility tracks in Band-in-a-Box®, which can be used for audio and/or MIDI! Generate RealTracks, RealDrums, MIDI tracks, and you can even record or import existing Audio or MIDI files to these tracks!

See how forum user justanoldmuso utilizes this feature to streamline their workflow with their recent post, Side benefit of biab added utility tracks.

Forum Stats
36036 Members
64 Forums
74386 Topics
652714 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
ColleenLindsey, robertjohn5814, crm88, AgataJohnson, Robee25

36035 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AudioTrack 133
MarioD 126