#613754 09/04/20 08:21 PM
Beginners Forum
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Hello everybody,
can someone tell me what a push is ? is there another name for it ? can you show me an 80's pop song where it is used ?
in 30 years as an amateur musician, I have never seen or heard this word outside of BIAB
thanks in advance,
Bernard Raasson

Bernard Rasson

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français
Bernard Rasson #613760 09/04/20 10:13 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bernard.
In BiaB, a Push plays the chord either an 1/8 or a 1/6th note earlier than the beat.

From the Help:
Add Pushes to Chords
Pushes in Styles
Styles can push any instrument so that the instrument plays before the chord begins. This is very common in Jazz and other Pop music, and gives the music a more natural sound.

"Pushes" (sometimes called anticipations) are chords that are played before the beat. For example, in Jazz Swing the piano player often pushes a chord change by playing the chord an eighth note before the beat.

To use keystrokes:
Type the caret symbol ‘^’ before the chord. (The caret symbol is located above the 6 on the keyboard.)
Type a single caret to get a chord an eighth note before the beat.
e.g. ^C7
Type a double caret to get a chord a sixteenth note before the beat.
e.g. ^^C7

Hope this assists.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
AudioTrack #613764 09/05/20 12:52 AM
Beginners Forum
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Thank you VideoTrack

Yes, I have heard the word "anticipation" before
but infrequently
None of my music teachers ever talked about this, so I guess it is somehow related to what kind of music you tend to learn
thank you again, have a nice weekend
Bernard

Bernard Rasson

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français
Bernard Rasson #613898 09/06/20 02:28 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Syncopation is another term you’ve probably heard.

I’m a pro player for almost 60 years now, and I never heard the term ‘push’ used in the way BIAB uses it. Drummers and bassists are more familiar with playing ahead of the beat.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #634368 01/04/21 09:00 AM
Beginners Forum
H
H
have you figured out syncopation on biab? I'm trying to get the second chord in a measure to come in on the AND of 2 - so it seems like it would be in the first box in the measure, but with these "push" things it seems like they're saying ^G in the 2nd box should put the chord where I want it - but I'm not hearing it. I'd appreciate any wisdom! Thanks
Elzie

B. Hickerson
Matt Finley #634377 01/04/21 09:36 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Syncopation is another term you’ve probably heard.

I’m a pro player for almost 60 years now, and I never heard the term ‘push’ used in the way BIAB uses it. Drummers and bassists are more familiar with playing ahead of the beat.

To me they're PULLS, not Pushes - they pull the note 1/8 or 1/16 ahead of the timing.
Semantics really as I have no formal musical training. Thank goodness BB doesn't care about that. grin;
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
hickersonz #634418 01/04/21 12:55 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: hickersonz
have you figured out syncopation on biab? I'm trying to get the second chord in a measure to come in on the AND of 2 - so it seems like it would be in the first box in the measure, but with these "push" things it seems like they're saying ^G in the 2nd box should put the chord where I want it - but I'm not hearing it. I'd appreciate any wisdom! Thanks
Elzie

You need to 'Push' the 3rd beat. Agreed, the term 'Push' is quite misleading because it actually pulls the note to play earlier.
Try entering the chord in the RH part of the cell as ^G and see if that assists. How well the push works might also depend on the style.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2021-01-05_9-54-12.jpg (14.68 KB, 128 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
AudioTrack #634423 01/04/21 01:13 PM
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
This is interesting subject. I have asked questions about anticipations in the past and have gotten little response. In arranging class at he naval School of Music we were constantly being docked for writing a fill that destroyed an anticipation. I have yet to figure out how to prevent this from happening when using BIAB>

Dell 610 dual Monitor, win 7-10, Sonar Plat, ProTools 10 & 11, Reaper 4, BIAB/real Band 2022, Easy Drummer, Superior Drummer, Kontact Essentials, Personnel Orchestra, Korg Legacy Analog & Digital
Bernard Rasson #640502 02/05/21 05:48 PM
Beginners Forum
T
T
I am confused on how to use the push function to play chords on the upbeat of the fourth beat of a measure and follow it with a downbeat on the first beat of the following measure. If I want the 'and' of four I need to push the first beat of the next measure so my question is how do I get the downbeat of the next measure to play? or do I need to give up on that rhythm phrase?

Thanks in advance!

Bernard Rasson #640508 02/05/21 07:19 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
BIAB is its own world. Many things are "non standard".

I have heard the term "push" only once in a recording studio. I did not understand it then anymore than I understood it the first time in BIAB. I assumed at the time that they were talking about the timing. Having played to a click track most of my life when recording any "push or pull" would be left to the studio engineer to deal with.

Jazz is definitely not a form of music that I know much about. I have learned to play "behind the beat" but I have great difficulty keeping it constant.

Perhaps this "push" business in BIAB is related to the limits imposed on entering chords, a way to move things by something less than a quarter note. Perhaps it is a way to emulate the practice of playing behind the beat or playing ahead of the beat.

As Matt pointed out, Syncopation is something that moves notes off the beat and stressies notes not normally stressed. Actually Syncopation is complex enough that it does not lend itself to a minor explanation. Google it.

Here is something to look at describing "playing behind the beat" and "playing ahead of the beat" with youtube examples of music by well known professionals. https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2016/10/26/playing-ahead-or-behind-the-beat/

Best of luck learning BIAB.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Bernard Rasson #640524 02/05/21 11:50 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting feedback.

I wonder did it assist the O/P in their situation.

Bernard Rasson #640611 02/06/21 09:37 AM
Beginners Forum
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
As a jazz bass player, "pushing" the beat means something entirely different to me! I would refer to the BiaB 'push' as anticipating the beat, as others have said.

So, yes, I did find the BiaB terminology slightly confusing at first, but it just takes a little getting used to and now it's fine :-)

Bernard Rasson #640683 02/06/21 04:10 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
This is sort of a naming convention used by BIAB that does not resonate clearly with everyone.

These movements of notes out of time constitute more of a feel than a precise value in music I have listen to.

Swing music does similar sorts of things by moving the emphasis on the off–beat or weaker pulse. But also swing does not necessarily require a defined amount of movement as in "swing feel".

At the end of the day I guess it matters little what you call this movements of notes in BIAB. Learning non standard terms and ways of doing thing is a basic requirement of dealing with BIAB.

I assume there could be examples of this device in other styles of music other than jazz and funk. Please post a link if you know.

Here is an example of the bass player playing behind the beat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmC-aT0Xe9k&list=RDm4XI6LXCsH8&index=4

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Bernard Rasson #640757 02/07/21 06:25 AM
Beginners Forum
cxp Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Actually, this technique is not that unusual and shows up in all types of music. Here is a link to a hard rock track that uses BIAB pushes on the third beat of every even bar:

https://soundcloud.com/cxp-2/come-on-up

Bernard Rasson #641911 02/13/21 07:37 AM
Beginners Forum
T
T
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, if I want an upbeat on the 'and' of the fourth beat and a downbeat on the first beat of the next measure I need to find a style that gives that to me and not write it accordingly. Correct?

TommyK #641914 02/13/21 08:04 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TommyK
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, if I want an upbeat on the 'and' of the fourth beat and a downbeat on the first beat of the next measure I need to find a style that gives that to me and not write it accordingly. Correct?
Not quite.

BIAB as provided cannot have a chord on the and of beat four, and also on the downbeat of the next measure (assuming 4/4).

But there are workarounds. Third party styles such as by Norton Music will do this, and you can do it yourself if you change the time, time base and / or style, to make what was in one measure into two.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Bernard Rasson #645675 03/08/21 04:11 PM
Beginners Forum
T
T
Great, thanks for clearing this up for me.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,769
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191