Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi everyone,

I wrote a political song. The leader of the free world is a concern to all Western nations. That's why I made this song. I know some people don't like this kind of songs or messages, but I believe it matters to all of us. Therefore I made it. The title of the song is used many times by the main figure in the song. More of his words appear in the lyrics.

https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/it-is-what-it-is

The melody is Blues / Rock-based.

I hope you like it for the lyrics, the melody or both,
Hans
Oh, and let me know what I did good or wrong. I like to learn!
===============================================================
The lyrics:
It is what it is
(c) HWBerkhout, 31082020

Our world is in trouble, and we can't sleep
Democracy is eroding, we weep
A doubtful government, we're ashamed everyday
A president praising dictators and thinks that's ok

Chorus
Mayhem and madness cause our world to decline
It is what it is and he feels fine
He's indifferent as cities burn
Call it nasty, but it's not his concern  

Black lives matter and MeToo
Pandemics and injustice, all ends under his shoe
He shows no empathy, calls it all a hoax
He tweets: fake news, and shatters hope

Economy is a loss, environment in despair
Millions without work, and he doesn't care
This failing leader proves he cannot reign
He denies all, he is so vain

Chorus
Mayhem and madness cause our world to decline
It is what it is and he feels fine
He's indifferent as cities burn
Call it nasty, but it's not his concern

Solo

Chorus2
But mayhem and madness make his world will decline
If it is what it is, then we feel fine
We'll be indifferent as his empire burns
Call it nasty but it's not our concern

Let's prevent this voting to be toyed
It is what it is, Democracy can't be destroyed
Though it sounds like a dream, dream it all the time!
It is what it is  and we'll be fine
Is it what it is? Are we fine?
Oh, wake up man...!
===================================================================
The Band:
Style: GUARDOG.STY, Tempo 90, Key: Dm

RealTracks in song:  1636:Bass, Elec., JazzFunkBreezy
RealTracks in song: 3247:Guitar, Elec, Solist Funky Blues
RealTracks in song: 3251:Guitar, Bariton Elec, Modern FunkRealTracks in song:   573:Guitar, Elec, Blues
RealTracks in song: 3334:Guitar, Elec, Blues Pop
RealTracks in song: 3355:Guitar, Elec, Lowdown Blues
RealDrums in Song: BluesRockSlowEv^4-a:Snare , b:Snare, HiHat
===================================================================

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, it is an important problem that effects the entire world. Political leaning aside the last four years have been bad for the climate, peace and honesty.
Nice Hendrixy guitar.
Thanks

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

A big thumbs up for this one!

An excellent write - touching on a lot of important issues.

Good tracks. Excellent vocals - lots of passion.

The mix is good (the lead guitar was slightly louder than it needed to be, I think).

Well done! Hopefully the truth will eventually prevail.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good job. It is one of the jobs of musicians to comment on political, national, and international issues. I always support musicians right to protest or point out what they consider right or wrong with the world. I support this no matter if I agree with their point of view or not.

If a song offends me I just turn it off.

I liked the music, good tune.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
I like the live feel of this;loose blues rock band (great name for that style) and its the kind of lyric that would get immediate response from an audience .You deliver it with conviction!
You asked for input; I think the lyrics and your vocal delivery would be even punchier with small edits in a few places, eg:

cut the "and" & the "is" giving you more space for words that matter to sync with the rhythm.
I`m with you on the message and enjoyed hearing you put it to this beat.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
Solid work! Good arrangement and vocals. Liked that solo too.
The message is very clear. We shall see next election if people changed their opinion of the "leader". Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
Yes, it is an important problem that effects the entire world. Political leaning aside the last four years have been bad for the climate, peace and honesty.
Nice Hendrixy guitar.
Thanks

Hi Ray, you weren't even complaining...! And thanks for your nice comment on the song. Yes, this topic needs a fast solution.
But I wasn't aware this guitar was a Hendrixy. Maybe next time you could do it? Or are you too busy with the Spirits?

Thanks,
Hans

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans,
A big thumbs up for this one!
An excellent write - touching on a lot of important issues.
Good tracks. Excellent vocals - lots of passion.
The mix is good (the lead guitar was slightly louder than it needed to be, I think).
Well done! Hopefully the truth will eventually prevail.
fj

Hi Floyd, I'm starting to feel proud with your words... No EQ-issues this time! I really worked hard on that and watched a buch of YouTube videos to bring me closer to a solution. Apparently it worked. Only some adjustments on the leadguitar and, according to Robert, on the lyrics. These advices help me and I am grateful for that!

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Hans,
I like the live feel of this;loose blues rock band (great name for that style) and its the kind of lyric that would get immediate response from an audience .You deliver it with conviction!
You asked for input; I think the lyrics and your vocal delivery would be even punchier with small edits in a few places, eg:

cut the "and" & the "is" giving you more space for words that matter to sync with the rhythm.
I`m with you on the message and enjoyed hearing you put it to this beat.

Robert

Hi Robert, thanks a lot for your kind words and advise. I just wrote Floyd I appreciate these kind of advises. And you are 'a crack' on lyrics. Who can help me more on that than you? Oh, I must not forget Ray. I always try to follow his advise, although i like teasing him a bit. Don't know why, but I do.
I will try to change the lyrics and make them more punchy, but it will take a while.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Hans,
Solid work! Good arrangement and vocals. Liked that solo too.
The message is very clear. We shall see next election if people changed their opinion of the "leader". Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Hi Misha, thanks for your nice words. I was pretty sure we wouldn't disagree on the lyrics. But it was nice to (not) read about the EQ. So, I'm improving step by step. One day we make a song together!

Have a nice day,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

We like EVERYTHING about it. The lyric and its message, the hook, the vocals, the band including the solo guitar. Great use of that RT!

The mix sounds fine on our monitors. The soundstage is excellent. Everything has its place. Great dynamics also.

Again, we really enjoyed our listens!

J&B

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
This has a groovy feel to it with nice guitar chops.

The lyrics say what many would like to say...

Chris
More of my music at: https://soundcloud.com/user-663569023
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent! Nice arrangement, great vocal, and can't argue with the lyrics.

As far as the mix goes, I think it's top notch. Love the way you panned those rhythm guitars.

I have to disagree with Floyd about the lead guitar, to my ears it's sitting in the mix just where it should be throughout most of the song, you could maybe drop it a couple db during the intro but other than that I like it.

Really good, Hans!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi everyone,

It were Robert and Floyd that made me decide to change a couple of things in the song. For Floyds' part I lowered the volume of the lead guitar. Robert gave me good hints on the lyrics (skip a lot of 'and', 'is', 'but's). I immediately changed all that in the lyrics. And that meant I had to sing everything again. While doing that in the chorusses I discovered something interesting. A way of singing like in gospelsongs. The background vocals repeat the last words of sentences. I never did that and I felt a bit uneasy doing it. Then I thought to let you decide if you like it or not...

And then I got these lovely replies:

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

We like EVERYTHING about it. The lyric and its message, the hook, the vocals, the band including the solo guitar. Great use of that RT!
The mix sounds fine on our monitors. The soundstage is excellent. Everything has its place. Great dynamics also.
Again, we really enjoyed our listens!

J&B

Well, J&B, what a nice reply that is! I fantasized about the loudness on your monitors; 'you cranked them all to the top' you used to say. That must gave a lot of bassfeelings in your bellies...
Thanks a lot!

Originally Posted By: Chris Dent
This has a groovy feel to it with nice guitar chops.

The lyrics say what many would like to say...

Hi Chris, we haven't met before I believe. I saw you delivered a new song on the forum. I will listen to it in a while.
Thanks for your reply. And yes I like baritonguitars in this kind of songs. I used 2.
And I am glad you liked the lyrics. I had some doubts putting this kind of song on the forum, but even we in the Netherlands have a lot of concerns how things go. And then we have to say some things about it (or sing it, in my case).

Hope to meet you again on the forum!

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Excellent! Nice arrangement, great vocal, and can't argue with the lyrics.
As far as the mix goes, I think it's top notch. Love the way you panned those rhythm guitars.
I have to disagree with Floyd about the lead guitar, to my ears it's sitting in the mix just where it should be throughout most of the song, you could maybe drop it a couple db during the intro but other than that I like it.

Really good, Hans!

Hi Dave, I think you disagreed with Floyd while I already altered things in this song. Read my first sentences in this post. What you heared whas different from what Floyd heard. I think you both would agreed on the topic when I didn't do so.
but the other thing is appearently you like the chorusses as well. Floyd hadn't heard them. I think now he would like them too, don't you think so?
But thanks a lot for your nice and also encouraging words. No EQ-ing problems this time...

Thanks everyone and have a very nice day,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool tune Hans. Super vocal and backtrack. Just loved the intro. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I liked the bluesy energy of this a lot. I think it's hard to write about politics in a song without coming off with a lot of awkward lyric lines. Certainly the Haight-Ashbury groups of the late sixties and others have done it well, but not always. One of my favorite groups from that time, Quicksilver, had a problem with awkward political lyric lines, IMHO. OTOH, Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane was so good at it he was nominated for a Pulitzer prize. I think you've done well and certainly the message sits well with me as I cannot stand the guy. I know many think he's great, even some Norwegian who nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize, WTF? Well, good song, congrats, hope I haven't started a flame war.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice job, Hans. From the point of view of a conservative American, knowing that the world news in Holland paints a negative picture of current USA economic policy in Europe, just as it does here, is not surprising. Nederlandsche Bank is one of the owners of the Bank of International Settlements, (BIS,) the most powerful bank in the Western Hemisphere. Other major stockholders include the Federal Reserve Bank, Bank of England, Bank of Italy, Bank of Canada, and Swiss National Bank. You probably know, facilities that manufacture consumables, technology, medicine, steel, and many other components of the American economy were transferred to Asia, where wages and expenses are a fraction of what they are, here. This created a veritable bonanza for the international central banks, including our (foreign-owned) Federal Reserve, along with Nederlandsche Bank, (Dutch-owned) and others who bankrolled the development of the Asian Rim. As Vladimir Putin has put it, "The bankers' mistake was failing to include America's middle class in a share of the bounty." It's been on us. It's been a blast. Turn out the lights, Hans, the party's over.

Last edited by edshaw; 09/13/20 09:39 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent combination of funk and blues. The solo guitar is very good selection. Great vocals and I really like the backing gospel vocal style. The lyrics are maybe bit too straightforward and aggressive to my taste, but anyway the message fits the style and in my mind raises again the question can a democratically elected person end democracy without his supporters opposing it...

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans

Nice overall sound, vocal and the guitar was an inspired choice.

Peter

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
I like it, Hans. The mix sounds good to me. Love that guitar and the way you've done the choruses. The lyrics aren't subtle, but it's very difficult to be subtle about your protagonist.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Birchwood,

I loved the lyrics which reflect reality. Your arrangement lends itself perfectly to the content of your words. It's well thought out and well done.

Kindly

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool tune Hans. Super vocal and backtrack. Just loved the intro. Well done

Hi Scott, sorry I mixed you up with Ray. You are the real Spirit levels! I hope I don't make these mistakes again. But thanks for your nice words on the song. Although I will come with a revised version. almost the same lyrics but other melody and setup.

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I liked the bluesy energy of this a lot. I think it's hard to write about politics in a song without coming off with a lot of awkward lyric lines. Certainly the Haight-Ashbury groups of the late sixties and others have done it well, but not always. One of my favorite groups from that time, Quicksilver, had a problem with awkward political lyric lines, IMHO. OTOH, Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane was so good at it he was nominated for a Pulitzer prize. I think you've done well and certainly the message sits well with me as I cannot stand the guy. I know many think he's great, even some Norwegian who nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize, WTF? Well, good song, congrats, hope I haven't started a flame war.

Hi Tunemonger, I thank you for your very nice words and your history-view of bands and politics. I like reading these things. Think because my father was a teacher in History. But as I wrote to scott, I will come with a revised version of the song. One that made my feet tap! Oh, and I surely hope you started that flame war! What I heard is a bit scarry...

Originally Posted By: edshaw
Nice job, Hans. From the point of view of a conservative American, knowing that the world news in Holland paints a negative picture of current USA economic policy in Europe, just as it does here, is not surprising. Nederlandsche Bank is one of the owners of the Bank of International Settlements, (BIS,) the most powerful bank in the Western Hemisphere. Other major stockholders include the Federal Reserve Bank, Bank of England, Bank of Italy, Bank of Canada, and Swiss National Bank. You probably know, facilities that manufacture consumables, technology, medicine, steel, and many other components of the American economy were transferred to Asia, where wages and expenses are a fraction of what they are, here. This created a veritable bonanza for the international central banks, including our (foreign-owned) Federal Reserve, along with Nederlandsche Bank, (Dutch-owned) and others who bankrolled the development of the Asian Rim. As Vladimir Putin has put it, "The bankers' mistake was failing to include America's middle class in a share of the bounty." It's been on us. It's been a blast. Turn out the lights, Hans, the party's over.

Hi Ed, we will never turn out the light until we're over! I think the dutch did and do a lot of less ethical things when it comes to trade. I sometimes feel ashamed on that. I still think I am not conservative, although I have some doubts. But conservative isn't allways bad. I like to dream how to reach a better, more equal life on earth, but that has a (too) long way to go. But let us hope on good times to come. And for your words on the song: I revised it and will post it shortly after answering these posts on the song. Thank you very much for your thoughts, Ed.

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Excellent combination of funk and blues. The solo guitar is very good selection. Great vocals and I really like the backing gospel vocal style. The lyrics are maybe bit too straightforward and aggressive to my taste, but anyway the message fits the style and in my mind raises again the question can a democratically elected person end democracy without his supporters opposing it...
Janne

Hi Janne, thank you too for your nice comment on the song, although you mentioned the lyrics are a bit blunt, where I thought I was too polite. A nice difference in perspective, don't you think? But your last sentence is exactly what worries me the most these days. The division in the US weakens not only the US. And what can we do about that? I can't vote.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Hans
Nice overall sound, vocal and the guitar was an inspired choice.
Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for these nice words. But as I said (above) I started to dislike the song myself. Not the lyrics of course. So I revised it. Take a listen if you like. Maybe you like that song too (?)

Originally Posted By: Leon1
I like it, Hans. The mix sounds good to me. Love that guitar and the way you've done the choruses. The lyrics aren't subtle, but it's very difficult to be subtle about your protagonist.
Regards,
Leon

Hi Leon, thanks for what you said. And you said the same as Janne about the somewhat blunt lyrics. But that man beats me with nasty words. And I used words he used. I am glad you understood my 'protagonist' can't be treated subtle.

Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello Birchwood,
I loved the lyrics which reflect reality. Your arrangement lends itself perfectly to the content of your words. It's well thought out and well done.
Kindly

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash

Hi Dero13, it was nice reading your comment. Still I changed the song because it started to bore me a little. Hope you have time and interest to listen to it and tell me what you think.

Thank you all for listening,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I gave a listen....

Musically....moves along pretty well and it worked well for my ears.
The mix was fine to me but I'm mixed a bit on the lead guitar volume that was mentioned.
But...that's getting down to a db or so which does not take away from the song at all.
The music/arrangement kept my attention throughout.
Vocals were expressive and delivered well.

Subject/lyrics.....I have no comments.

Well done...keep up the good work.

Carry on....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 09/20/20 09:37 AM.
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Cool sounding track!! Well put together.....lots of energy!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very well done!
We all need to be very concerned.
Thanks for bringing voice to this.
I've got several songs with a similar theme, I just can't escape the overwhelming need to scream..........Wake Up People!

User Showcase
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Sir as a Military Retiree I SALUTE YOU !!! Lyrics are outstanding and something that needs to be said. You're just flat out GREAT. Made me proud !!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Hans.

I could imagine this as an early Pink Floyd song by Rodger Waters.
Old favourites of mine.
Great energy.

Cheers.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,098
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185