RealBand
V
voxbox Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
Hello,

I am in the market for a new PC laptop. I am only interested in PC laptops. No interest in a Mac/Apple.

I was curious as to what laptop RealBand / BIAB users use.

What brand?
What processor? i5/i7 etc.
What hard drive size? SSD or HDD.
What amount of memory? 16GB etc.
What OS Win 10 Home or Pro?
Screen size? Touch screen?

Thank you all so much and if I forgot anything please let me know. grin

Cheers!!

RealBand
Expert
Expert
I use an i7 with 16 Gig RAM and 512gig SSD. But I only use it on stage to play backing tracks.

What you need really depends on what you intend to do with it. A lot of top end instruments and plugins require (or recommend) at least an i5 with 8gig RAM. A top end orchestra could easily have requirements for well over 100Gig storage and often state SSD storage. BB uses a lot of storage once again over 100 gig for the UltraPak assuming you’re storing it on the laptop (but it does not require SSD).

Of course you can store stuff on external drives but you then really need good USB (USB 3) in most cases.

As well as RAM and Storage consideration needs to be given to IO ports. What do you need to connect: a USB Audio device maybe a MIDI device external hard drives a slot for eLicense or similar if you are using some types of software.

First consider your needs in terms of how you intend to use the laptop. Then search on current requirements for what you want. Then look at what you’d really like and add a bit of future proofing.

That would be my advice. For example if you add up your storage and it comes to 400 gig then get at least 1000 gig. (If you went to 512 you’d soon be out of storage.). I mention earlier a lot of high end plugins recommend a minimum of i5 a few years ago the same plugins probably required only a duel core processor.

My thoughts
Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
RealBand
V
voxbox Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your thoughts:)

Anyone else? Specific laptop names?

Thanks smile

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Just do a few searches for New Laptop in the forums. This question has been asked dozens of times and you should be able to get some useful results.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
RealBand
V
voxbox Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your thoughts:)

Anyone else? Specific laptop names?

Thanks smile

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I'm a hobbyist and have a Dell laptop. I like Dell because their website offers one stop support for everything I've purchased. Their website is easy to navigate, operation and service documentation is available for download, drivers are tested, an app is available to select, download and install only drivers that work with your specific machine. The laptops are dependable and if something does happen parts are plentiful.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
V
voxbox Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
The Dell sounds like a very good option. Thanks Jim smile

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I have Dell laptops but I do not use them for my music. My downstairs computer that I use for scratchpad work on new song ideas is just an i3 with 16 GB of RAM. Upstairs in the main studio room that one is an i7 with 64 GB or RAM. That one also has Pro Tools on it and I needed the horsepower for that. I rarely use Pro Tools anymore but I have the computer for it if I want to.

If you go laptop, at LEAST an i5 and as much RAM as the motherboard will support. Are you going to dedicate the laptop to music? Will it travel to gigs? If not, and it doesn't need to be portable, then why a laptop?

Like I just bought a new i5 with 32 GB of RAM to dedicate to video steaming. Note. Music and video computers are both dedicated computers. As cheap as computers are now it's very doable to have dedicated computers for dedicated tasks.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
RealBand
V
voxbox Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I have Dell laptops but I do not use them for my music. My downstairs computer that I use for scratchpad work on new song ideas is just an i3 with 16 GB of RAM. Upstairs in the main studio room that one is an i7 with 64 GB or RAM. That one also has Pro Tools on it and I needed the horsepower for that. I rarely use Pro Tools anymore but I have the computer for it if I want to.

If you go laptop, at LEAST an i5 and as much RAM as the motherboard will support. Are you going to dedicate the laptop to music? Will it travel to gigs? If not, and it doesn't need to be portable, then why a laptop?

Like I just bought a new i5 with 32 GB of RAM to dedicate to video steaming. Note. Music and video computers are both dedicated computers. As cheap as computers are now it's very doable to have dedicated computers for dedicated tasks.

Thanks Eddie to an all that replied with great ideas!!

I like the idea of a dedicated computer. I wasn't sure about the i5 though. Isn't that an old slow one?

THANKS!!

RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
When I'm not on a Mac, I tend to use Lenovo Thinkpads, my last being an X240. Been using them since I bought my first laptop, an IBM Thinkpad 600E, 300mhz I think!

Officially though, we haven't noticed any particular brands of laptop that run Band-in-a-Box any better or more compatible than others.

Realistically, I think just about any reasonable laptop would be good enough for Band-in-a-Box. Our system requirements are not very high - just about any multi-core laptop with a couple gigs of ram will do it. Really the main consideration is hard drive space, as even the smallest package takes up 16gb of space (which can be a large chunk of a small SSD).

I work here
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: voxbox
I wasn't sure about the i5 though. Isn't that an old slow one?

Compared to i7, i9, and i10, yes. But in speaking of "at least this" vs "way overkill", the i5 is the minimum you should consider. The computer with the i7 has an i7 because I run Pro Tools on it and that is pretty much the minimum for Pro Tools.

I actually run Real Band down here on an i3 and don't have problems with it. When I ship the file upstairs it runs on the i7. I scratchpad down here and complete up there.

I don't particularly like laptops for creating music because the hard drives are typically cheaper hard drives that don't spin at the top RPM, often as slow as 5400, usually 7200. That comes into play if you are "under memoried" and the data coming across the data bus into the RAM will be a potential bottleneck. When you start adding tons of RAM to reduce the frequency of memory swapping to virtual RAM space, and then invest in SSDs, you need to start considering WHY you are spending money on a laptop at all??

Now for a laptop to take out to a gig where you are just playing back, you get to the "whatever" place. Playing back is nowhere near as CPU intensive as the crunching that goes into RB's track generating engine. I don't even understand why people insist on playing back multi track files in RB or BIAB when it's fed into a PA system that flattens those tracks out anyway. I just use WAV files when I go to a songwriter circle night. There is no need to care that the pedal steel track is on track 11. If you mixed it right, the pedal steel will be the right volume no matter what track it was on initially. So for computing power, it's horses for courses. Fit the computing power to the application. An i7 with a ton of ram just to play back WAV files is like buying a Maserati to drive to the store for milk.

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/27/20 01:14 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
simon. re any reasonable laptop.
(my background is working in tech for many years, finally i have free time to comment on this topic
which always interests me. wont bore you with my medical stuff. but all good now.)

you are correct sir that biab will run on pretty much anything.
BUT the problems arise when people are useing slow computers AND then load them up with plug ins that demand lots of computer resources. which is why some big studios
invest in very high end computing resources.

if one peruses various recording forums one will see that even high end computers sometimes have problems handling high resource load.

as i said in a thread recently frankly i am not happy with current computer architectures.
this is the nub of it.
for what a lot of people REALLY want to do, the processors are still too slow imho.
i want much faster cheaper processors.

the sad part is that biab/rb and/or pg might get blamed because the users computer cant handle the resource needs of the plug ins. eg slow drives and/or processor etc etc.

the other issue is obsolescence. how much life will one get from a major computer investment ??
which is why i stay a bit behind the curve , and invest in refurbished computers.
i have yet to have a problem with one yet , and ive bought more than a few for family and friends. ive yet to have one failure and saved a bundle.

in summary here are my personal rules for success.
1. test out the new computer or refurb before buying. look for it to boot fast. get a warranty.
2. cpubenchmark.net is your friend. before buying look up the rating of the processor.
i use an i5 refurb rated around 4500 on there. but i dont use resource heavy plug ins.
remember , the higher the rateing the more youll have to pay for the computer.
3. i use only low cpu useage plug ins in biab and/or my daw.
and before i commit to useing a new plug in i test it out to see the cpu useage.
i also use ssd's.

there are some great deals around. ive seen refurbs that cost new several thousand dollars for 500 dollars. so one can save lots of money that can be better spent on say a nice audio interface or mic etc etc.
just remember to test before buying or make sure
there is a return policy.

now i'm sure someone somewhere will disagree with my comments.
so be it. i'm just trying to save some people operational heartache.
biab is a wonderfull product and i love 2020. but one has to be prudent on plug in choices imho. it all comes down to resource useage.

simon, like everyone else i would like more realtrak channels in biab.
(per the wishlist) which would cut down the number of times i need to transfer traks to my main daw.
but the question remains , will our computers be able to handle it , particularly if people load up on plug ins ?

ps. if people new to this really want to delve further there are lots of computer configs posted on various recording forums eg gearslutz.com music computers section.
thousands of posts includeing building yourself a computer.
often audio interface manufacturers have their own forums also regarding this topic.
also daw multitrack software forums.
my advice to readers is dont overspend in ones search for computing nirvana because of the possibility of obsolescence.
(good wishes in your search voxbox.)
respectfully.
mysterymuso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/29/20 06:04 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
justanoldmuso - most of our users don't use any other plugins at all, or stick to only the ones we include (Sforzando and the PG DX plugins).

Voxbox, could you tell us a bit about your usage scenario? Are you planning on running any other DAW's or plugins? As justanoldmuso said, this could require a faster computer than strictly using Band-in-a-Box with no other music apps. If you're only considering Band-in-a-Box and not any other software or plugins, then most laptops can do it.

Also, just to clarify something, an i5 CPU is not necessarily an old one. Yes, Intel has been marketing CPU's as i5 since 2009, but are still making brand new chips with that model series. The i5 is a class of CPU, and not an indication of age.

Think of it in terms of cars - let's use the Mustang as an example. Back in the 90's they had Mustangs with L4's, V6's, and V8's. Obviously the V8 is the most powerful but the V6 is quite capable. Fast forward to now - they still make a V6, but it's equally powerful to the 90's V8's.

That's my long-winded way of saying that a modern i5 CPU can be much faster than an early i7 CPU, and a modern i5 should be more than enough if you're only going for BIAB. If you're going for any other plugins or DAW software, then go for an i7 or higher.

I work here
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I thought the Biab Hardware Version was due out soon ???

RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
simon/other readers.
you might find this link interesting from a tech buying perspective. i'm not suggesting people rush out and do it.
its another perspective.
https://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/106/quad-pro-thunder-computer/
notice the comment about the new win pc handling resource load versus the
"old pc". of course one needs to have the budget for such a custom built pc.
but the article is another intelligent perspective.
unfortunately i have other financial commitments lol.

respectfully
mysterymuso.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
...let's use the Mustang as an example. Back in the 90's they had Mustangs with L4's, V6's, and V8's.

The 90s???

How about the 60s when the Cobra Jet had that crazy 428 in it!!!!

A friend down my street had one of those. I had a Z-28 Camaro with that hot 302 in it and I used to regularly dust him because my car was much lighter. And I was a WAY better driver than he was. I came off that line like Shirley Muldowney!!

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

The 90s???

How about the 60s when the Cobra Jet had that crazy 428 in it!!!!

A friend down my street had one of those. I had a Z-28 Camaro with that hot 302 in it and I used to regularly dust him because my car was much lighter. And I was a WAY better driver than he was. I came off that line like Shirley Muldowney!!

And I dusted off many Z-28 Camaros with my 289, Holley 650 4-barrel carburetor, 4/11 rear end gears, 2 main, 2 second and 2 third leaf strings and 4 on the floor Mustang!

But those were the good ol' days were they not?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
And I dusted off many Z-28 Camaros with my 289, Holley 650 4-barrel carburetor, 4/11 rear end gears, 2 main, 2 second and 2 third leaf strings and 4 on the floor Mustang!

But those were the good ol' days were they not?

The Z-28 was hot for ONE year. 1969. That was what I had. Chevy Blue with white racing stripes. That special edition 302 ran at 11:1 compression. It was essentially a blown out 283, overbored to as big as they could make it and still have cylinder walls wide enough for a water jacket, with a very heavy duty cam, pistons and crankshaft. I bought it on July 3rd, 1969. On July 5th, 1969, I took it to a drag strip just east of Cleveland and ran 10.4 with it. Direct from the showroom floor. And it cost me (ready?) $3839.50. The 1970 model came out with a regular Chevy 307 and ran at 8.5:1 compression. All the "heavy duty" was taken out of it. They literally drained all the horsepower out of it.

In 1970 I also went into the Army, and I had to sell it because I knew a GI wasn't going to be able to make car payments. Only after I had been in a couple of years did I find out, from another GI, that banks had a program where I could have kept my car if I paid interest on the loan. $17 a month. I openly wept when I found that out.

RealBand
V
voxbox Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
Hello All,

Thanks for all of the great input.

I have been considering several laptops and also thinking about getting the:

Intel NUC NUC8I7HNK Mini PC, Intel Quad-Core i7-8705G Upto (base frequency 3.1 GHz) 4.1GHz, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL, WiFi, Thunderbolt 3, Supports Up to 6 Displays, Windows 10 Pro (32GB RAM + 1TB SSD)

Cost is about $1050.

Will need a monitor and keyboard of course.

I think this may meet my needs for BIAB as well as other audio recording applications.

The Intel NUC has 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports. I have been considering updating my setup with a Thunderbolt 3 (40GBs) Audio Interface and many laptops don't have one let alone two. Latency is almost non existent with proper cables.

Thanks for all of your input!!

smile

RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Voxbox - that sounds like a slick setup! I've been considering the Intel NUC's myself for a few things. Post back here and let us know how it goes!

With the car engine analogy, y'all have some great stories about your old cars! I personally had a 1994 Mustang that I miss dearly, but not quite as much as my old Mercury Cougar! Sadly I wrote that one off after an accident in the crazy Vancouver rain, and am now driving a Pontiac Vibe - not quite the horsepower as I used to have, but it can haul way more music gear!

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,509
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195