#613727 09/04/20 01:45 PM
RealBand
J
John F Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
J
I have been experimenting with doubling my vocals. Does anyone have any input as to which method is better? So far I've tried:
Copy one mono track to another mono track and pan each to opposite side
Duplicating one track to another mono track and pan each to opposite side
Recording one track in Stereo and pan down the middle
Adding a uni track with the harmonizer and pan each to opposite side

I've found that there is very little difference except when I add the uni track with the harmonizer. I realize your answers may be simply a matter of your own preference but I would like to know. Input please?

Music is what feelings sound like.

Windows 11, Behringer UMC204HD Audio Interface, BIAB/RB 2022 Ultra Pak Plus
John F #613731 09/04/20 02:16 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
My suggestion; actually double them. Record them twice.
And only then experiment with panning/FX

Rinse/repeat if needed
Maybe tune one and not the other
just tossing ideas out
Without hearing it, it's hard to suggest a route to improving them

What benefit/effect are you expecting?
I know, that's hard to answer, maybe an example of the desired result(?)

Last edited by rharv; 09/04/20 02:22 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
John F #613732 09/04/20 02:23 PM
RealBand
Apprentice
Apprentice
If using the duplicate or copy method, try offsetting one by a small amount, 5-10 ticks depending on tempo.

Vintage

John F #613735 09/04/20 03:21 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
JohnF,

VintageGibson's suggestion to change the timing of one track works. Rharv's suggestion to record twice works.

Another suggestion is to alter the pitch of one of the tracks by a few cents.

May I ask a question concerning your first post? What difference do you mean when you said copy a track in one statement and duplicate a track in another statement?

One concern I have is the panning. When you pan one track far left and another track far right neither track occupies the middle. Not having a vocal in the middle may work fine for a backup vocal but will sound strange for a lead vocal.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
John F #613736 09/04/20 03:25 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I use the Waves Doubler:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Waves/Doubler-Native-TDM-SG-Software-Download-1317253371509.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXMP&msclkid=4f0381150fdf1644dd99de47e7176d7c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%5BADL%5D%20%5BGC%5D%20%5BPLA%5D%20%5BShopping%5D%20-%20(Pro%20Audio%20-%20Music%20Software)%20-%20%7BMQ%7D%20-%20%5BHV%5D&utm_term=4578984922302321&utm_content=%7BMQ%7D%20Pro%20Audio%20-%20Music%20Software%20(GC)%20(Bing)&adlclid=ADL-202934ca-0ad4-4a82-8843-9ed421981512

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
J
John F Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
J
Thanks to all for the input. Jim, to answer your question, I was talking about copy and pasting the whole track to a different track. Seems I could achieve a slight offset to give the pasted track a slight delay or even a humanizing effect. I'll take your advice on the panning.

Music is what feelings sound like.

Windows 11, Behringer UMC204HD Audio Interface, BIAB/RB 2022 Ultra Pak Plus
MarioD #613779 09/05/20 03:41 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Mario, this is interesting. Can this be used live and not on a recorded track...similar to the TC Helicon units?

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I only use it in my DAW and I don't play live so I really don't know. I do know it is a plug-in so if you run your mic into a computer the out to a PA then it might be able to be used live, but again I don't know.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
John F #613830 09/05/20 12:33 PM
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have had success with a TC helicon voice live box. Use doubling or thickening.

Have also duplicated a track and panned the +5 and -5 the compress one and EQ or reverb the other to give a different dynamic.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
John F #613863 09/05/20 05:46 PM
RealBand
Expert
Expert
It may be worth looking into the presets of any reverb or delay FX plugins you have to see if there is a "doubling" preset. Fiddle from there, if there is, and see what about that effect is effective. wink

Doubling and hard-panning the tracks WITH the slight judicious offset mentioned will make it sound like there is a track center even if there isn't. I'm not sure treating them differently with other effects eliminates or accentuates that mirage. If it does, maybe three virtual tracks is an answer?

If you sing it again for a doubling effect, remember that you don't have to use it end-to-end. Doubling important words, phrases, or sections may be enough to get the desired results. Same is true for any other method, I reckon.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
John F #613869 09/05/20 07:04 PM
RealBand
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
I use Antares Vocal Doubler plugin in my Sonar. Singing the same track twice is sometimes very hard to do. It's hard to repeat the nuances. I suppose you could copy the lead vocal over to another track and EQ differently to get a doubling effect. Seems like a lot of work. In my case I rarely sing a song the same way twice. Especially if it's on a different day and I may feel different. Plus why sing out of tune twice LOL

Just kidding so please don't take offense. But in all honesty I found that the Antares or any doubler plugin (someone mentioned WAVES) will fill the bill and they are pretty inexpensive.

John F #613907 09/06/20 03:08 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Copy/nudge timing is one way.
Copy it and tune one is another.

Barry is a good enough vocalist that we can usually have him sing a second track fairly accurately, but for more effect we often tune one, which gives it just a little bit more variance.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
John F #614484 09/10/20 09:01 AM
RealBand
V
Apprentice
Apprentice
V
Hi All,

I tried copying vocal tracks then time shifting them etc.

Singing along with your vocal track but can be tedious. John Lennon didn't like doing it so EMI created a technique called ADT (Artificial Double Tracking))

"John particularly hated to manually double-track his voice, but did so because the end result made the record sound better. At his urging, EMI techie Ken Townsend invented a device that double-tracked a vocal by a delay method.... ADT (Artifical double tracking). John and EMI staff used this on most of his vocals during 1966-1968 era."

I use Abbey Road Reel ADT plugin on vocals and it sounds fantastic:)Using the effect a little goes a long way. Don't over do it.

Waves/Abbey Road Reel ADT is the first plugin to successfully emulate Abbey Road Studios’ pioneering process of Artificial Double Tracking. The effect that would become an integral part of Abbey Road’s signature sound was initially created at the famed studios in the 1960s to meet the needs of some very special clients: The Beatles.

Reel ADT puts the magic of that era in your hands within seconds. Using its intuitive controls, you can advance or delay the doubled signal to achieve genuine, lush-sounding delay and pitch variations. You can also drive each of the signals separately to add beautiful tape saturations.

With its authentic modeled valve tape machine sound and faithful emulation of wow and flutter, this extraordinary plugin can enhance any track with the impression of two separate takes, giving you results as close as possible to real double tracking. Other classic Abbey Road tape effects such as flanging and phasing can also be achieved with ease.

All the character, depth and panoramic sound of this inimitable classic effect can now be created digitally, simply and for real: Reel ADT.

Cheers and have fun experimenting!

rharv #616852 09/27/20 12:55 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv

Plus 100 to that answer. The idea of double tracking is to thicken and "fill" holes n the first take. Simply cloning the original will have the same holes in it. You can pan and add effects all you want but it won't putty those holes up. A second take will "humanize" them.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
RealBand
V
Apprentice
Apprentice
V
Hi All,

Yes doubling your voice via singing along with the first vocal track is incredibly effective.

Copying and pasting an identical region to play during the same section? All we’re doing is making that same exact vocal louder.

The problem is, the 2 vocal regions are identical. Which means there’s nothing to differentiate these 2 takes.

When you record 2 vocal takes for the same section, they may very well be almost identical. But there are all sorts of things that make them slightly different:

Minor timing differences
Minor pitch differences
The way the performer moves in front of the mic
The push and pull of guitar or bass strings

These tiny details cause different performances to sound distinct from one another. Which helps separate the different takes.

Hope this helps and as always happy recording smile

John F #618179 10/07/20 07:43 AM
RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Duplicating and time-shifting a track slightly does work to some degree, but more often than not it adds phase issues.

Duplicating, time shifting, and hard panning typically ends up making the earlier side sound a little louder than the later side, as your brain perceives the time and pan shift to be the sound source moving to the side, so you may have slightly better results by duplicating, time shifting, hard panning, and reducing volume of the earlier side slightly.

For best results though, as others mentioned before me, record it twice. Nothing, absolutely nothing, works better than that.

I work here
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: rharv

Plus 100 to that answer. The idea of double tracking is to thicken and "fill" holes n the first take. Simply cloning the original will have the same holes in it. You can pan and add effects all you want but it won't putty those holes up. A second take will "humanize" them.

Rharv's suggestion to record twice works best.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
John F #622707 11/11/20 07:28 AM
RealBand
P
P
I use Duet which is free plugin;

https://vst4free.com/plugin/1536/

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199