Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Every year about this time I start thinking about moving some where much cooler with no hurricanes.

Every "there" has something. Earthquakes and fires out west, tornadoes in the midwest, searing heat in the southwest, brutal winters in the northeast, brutal heat and hurricanes down south. And the more I looked at relocating, I realized for the short winters we have in Ohio, it's not that bad here.

Quote:
Then I look around at all the "stuff" I have collected up and all the work to load it up and unload it on the other end.

They have people for that.

Quote:
I don't know what Brent gets for studio time in Nashville but I am sure it is not cheap.

If you believe online metrics, his net worth is 17 million, so yes, he is not cheap.

Quote:
As I get older my ability to play guitar gets less and less.

My aching arthritic hands feel your pain, bro.

Quote:
At least I have a wonderful wife who puts up with all that.

I have had 3. None were anything approaching "wonderful". But when you figure they were dumb enough to marry ME....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Well did he score?

Paul Missthenet?

He did have 7 goals and 15 assists in his entire career! I wonder why he is not in the hall of fame grin Or was that the hall of shame shocked

How many penalty minutes?

340! That explains a lot!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Hi all, really interesting thread. My own experience:

I've been using BIAB for about 9 months now, and have only scraped the surface of what it can do, but to be honest that's enough for me.

My songs are fairly basic so I haven't needed to delve too deep to get something that I think sounds good. Though I've only done 6 so far, so still early days!

Despite having written songs for years my musical theory knowledge is awful - I still don't know the names of some of the chords I use on guitar - but at least BIAB doesn't laugh at me for it :-)

I miss the excitement and adventure of going to a studio to record with mates in the band, but as we were all amateurs our results were the same level. As the songwriter I always felt that the songs could sound better.

With BIAB I can now get a really professional recording that I would never be able to achieve otherwise.

There is a lot to learn to with all the tech, inc DAWs, mixing & mastering etc. and sometimes it feels that you get further away from the thing you love, the actual writing, but I couldn't go back to the old ways now!

I've been very lucky to find an online vocalist through Fivver who has been very easy to work with and who I felt got the songs straight away. I know there are lots of excellent drummers on there as well, so that may be worth looking at.

I think you should turn it on again :-)

Cheers,
David

My BIAB Songs

BIAB 2021 PlusPAK, Reaper, W10
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi David,

I continue to use BIAB. I like the program for many reasons. I also have used people from the internet sites but with mixed results. That is also true in a very few cases with live studio musicians.

Here is a look at a song I wrote with friends. This was live, one take. No one in this group of people had any idea how this song would go. Totally on the fly. Myself, the drummer, and the bass player played the basic harmonic track. Everything else you hear was done one track at a time. The vocal was one take, and Robert the steel player sang the song without ever have seen the lyrics.

We also were not trying to create some polished piece of work. Fun stuff between musicians we all knew.

https://youtu.be/lE8PABawHEs

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
[Despite having written songs for years my musical theory knowledge is awful - I still don't know the names of some of the chords I use on guitar - but at least BIAB doesn't laugh at me for it :-)]

Oh No!!! This is just enough to get Eddie going again!!

I'm doing allright for Country Trash ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2022W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: djames

Despite having written songs for years my musical theory knowledge is awful - I still don't know the names of some of the chords I use on guitar - but at least BIAB doesn't laugh at me for it :-)

Here are a couple of programs that may help you discover what chord(s) you are playing. I jam with a finger picking guitarist whom just fingers some chords and has no idea what they are called. I can usually figure them out myself but sometimes I have to use the first program listed. The second program gives you the fingerings for many chords.

I hope this helps.

https://www.oolimo.com/guitarchords/analyze

https://www.oolimo.com/guitarchords/find

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Cool software Mario. The chord finder certainly has chords I do not know on guitar.

The ability for the software to arpeggiate the chord is useful. Some of the chords I would have little idea how to use. C13b9 for example. It would be cool if there was a software that could put that chord in context.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I can relate to your experience. Yeah, there's a lot to learn. Songwriting, recording, music production, mixing and mastering, hardware and software and probably a few other things too....

Personally, I love this software and have taken the time to learn what I need to learn to do what I need to do.

Yeah, you don't necessarily have to write commercially viable songs in order to have a good time and enjoy this.

For the vast majority, this is a hobby. Like any hobby, it's supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Otherwise, why do it? Like any hobby, you have to dig into the details to learn how to get better. If you decided to paint landscapes, or weave baskets, or play golf, you would have to spend the time to learn that hobby to do it correctly. This is no different.

Hiring the studio musicians is just not an affordable way to do this hobby when you have the tools here to do it right. The cost of one Nashville or LA session will easily pay for one of the higher level Band in a Box versions. Do a couple of studio sessions and you have the funds to buy a decent computer, seriously good interface and studio monitors. I'm not sure what you're currently using, but adding something as simple as Ozone to your mix will take it to the next level sonically. I tell folks if you ever try the demo version of Ozone, be prepared to buy it because it's that good in the preset settings.

You have access to all of the folks here. You mentioned Floyd.... there's quite a few others who are putting out studio quality work. Ask them questions. I started in the Cakewalk forums with out BB. I was recording using my talents and midi plus the audio stuff I could play. I collaborated with keyboard players and fiddle players and singers over there. Getting others to work with you can be difficult but when you find the right folks it's really fun and inspiring.

Sounds like you're almost to the point of throwing in the towel and calling it quits. I can't talk you into anything, but I'd suggest trying again to connect with a few folks and ask questions. Ask people to play parts for you that you know, know what they're doing and can play and sing. Ask people to comment on the technicals of the songs you record and get their feedback with solutions. I used to do that all the time in the Cakewalk forum when it existed. That's how you learn, and that's how you improve.

It's like a journey of a thousand miles.... you make it one step at a time.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Hi David,
We also were not trying to create some polished piece of work. Fun stuff between musicians we all knew.

https://youtu.be/lE8PABawHEs

Billy

Hi Billy, yes I know what you mean, bouncing off others when you're on the same wavelength is a joy when it gels - I always found band rehearsals more fun as we tended to suffer from red light fever in the studio!

It's great you have video of it.

Originally Posted By: CountryTrash

Sorry! I started off as a drummer if that allows me any leeway? :-)

Quote:

Here are a couple of programs that may help you discover what chord(s) you are playing.

Thanks Mario, I've tried a few apps and sites but they often give conflicting results - that one gave me an A6(11) so I will try that in BIAB and see if it's one of the ones I'm after.

Cheers,
David

My BIAB Songs

BIAB 2021 PlusPAK, Reaper, W10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Eddie will remain silent on this one. He is at least trying!!!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Herb,

I have no intentions of stopping my use of BIAB. I also will continue to collaborate with musicians over the internet, both here in the USA and in other countries.

There is nothing inherently wrong with any software method of creating music.

Software can not currently duplicate live interaction with other musicians any more than a DJ can replace a live band. Perhaps we will have AI's in the not to distant future that will. This is not to say high quality music can not be created with software because it can.

As far as cost....nothing is cheap in today's world. About $600 to play a round of golf at Pebble Beach. Add $145 more for a caddie. It cost me a thousand dollars ever time I set foot on my boat. The boat is a nothing little 28 foot center console with twin 250 HP outboards. Cost $158,000. Cost 6 to 7K per year to maintain. The house in Marathon...don't even ask. I sold my airplane, to old to fly, can't afford the $400 per hour to use it.

I am no longer willing to work a hundred hours a week to afford a lot of the stuff I use to do.

So in the scheme of things a couple of thousand dollars for some studio time is no more expensive than going fishing. Please don't misconstrue what I am saying and think I am some rich guy because I am not. I have worked my rear end off for sixty years to acquire a few things. I still work...just not so hard.

I find that creating something in BIAB is pretty easy IF you start in BIAB and stay within the pre recorded concepts it contains. I find it super difficult to use for musical ideas developed outside of the software. Herb, your a guitar player, go listen to the three guitar players in the video a few post back. Show me how you could ever even come closed to duplicating that in BIAB. Does a Tom Anderson guitar sound like a PRS? (there are two Anderson guitars and one PRS in the video). You will never find that level of detail in any software.

While we are on the subject of guitars, which are plentiful in BIAB, please explain to me how it would be possible to get close to a Gary Moore style solo as in Parisienne Walkways. You and I can play the solo, perhaps we don't have a vintage Les Paul and a couple of Marshall amps but if we played it you could recognize it. I am just using this as an example that anyone can go listen to on the internet. This is what I mean about starting with a concept outside of BIAB. I have tried without success just to get BIAB to play out just the chord structure. Perhaps that could be done, I don't know. Can you tell BIAB to arpeggiate a chord in a defined manner?

Well...enough of all this...I want to go play some guitar on a middle eastern song a friend of mine is writing. Gives me a chance to learn a few new words in Arabic...lol It hopefully will distract him from all the brutal crap that is going on in Beirut.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

So that duct tape I sent you is working wink grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

So that duct tape I sent you is working wink grin

MMMmmmfffftt ifffzzz.....

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Please explain to me how it would be possible to get close to a Gary Moore style solo as in Parisienne Walkways.

If you can play that well to come close to Gary Moore's solo and style in general, you don't need software to generate the solos. Use it for the Hammond pads and such, but play the guitar yourself if you have those chops. And I don't know that the software was ever designed to try and copy other people's solos. It's a bunch of generic clips that you stitch together. They would get sued right into Puget Sound if they had a note for note rip of a Gary Moore solo.

The image of that reminds me of when a guy here posted an ad on Craigslist for players to do a Dream Theater tribute band. I called him JUST to ask him in person "If you can even find people who play at that level, do you think they are looking for a gig on frickin' Craigslist? If somebody can play like Petrucci or Rudess, they have all the work they can handle. And why do they need YOU?"

He hung up.

Last edited by eddie1261; 10/01/20 11:51 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Please explain to me how it would be possible to get close to a Gary Moore style solo as in Parisienne Walkways.

If you can play that well to come close to Gary Moore's solo and style in general, you don't need software to generate the solos. Use it for the Hammond pads and such, but play the guitar yourself if you have those chops. And I don't know that the software was ever designed to try and copy other people's solos. It's a bunch of generic clips that you stitch together. They would get sued right into Puget Sound if they had a note for note rip of a Gary Moore solo.

The image of that reminds me of when a guy here posted an ad on Craigslist for players to do a Dream Theater tribute band. I called him JUST to ask him in person "If you can even find people who play at that level, do you think they are looking for a gig on frickin' Craigslist? If somebody can play like Petrucci or Rudess, they have all the work they can handle. And why do they need YOU?"

He hung up.

Eddie's right. A UserTrack or Artist Performance Track will do the trick. And bypassing the legalities, BIAB software will accept a note for note rip off of a Gary Moore solo if you wish. The capability is built into the programming and design of the software to work combined with RealTracks, Supermidi and Midi. PG Music would not be involved with the content produced.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 10/02/20 12:29 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Several things. No one can play like Gary Moore and for sure not me.

I have no intent to do a cover of a Gary Moore song.

Obviously if I could come close to playing his solo I would not need BIAB to do that. I have played a cover version live. Did it sound just like Gary Moore, no. Could you recognize the solo, yes.

If I did create a note for note cover using BIAB and played it live in a club no one would say a word as long as the club had their ducks lined up.

PG Music is not responsible for how I use there product. I may have signed some agreement by purchasing their software that I am unaware of but that is another issue.

No one here or PG Music knows if I have permission to cover any song.

All this abject fear of copywrite infringement is a function of not understand what is legal and what is not.

There are hundreds of Gary Moore covers on youtube. Is that a good thing? Depends on who you ask. If you post a link to one of them does that make PG Music responsible for copywrite infringement?

There is no midi file on earth that can be made to sound like Gary Moore or me or you or anyone else. His solo can be written in standard notation, note for note and then what? You still have to play it.

I would like someone to take one measure of a Gary Moore solo or any one else for that matter and recreate it in BIAB. In fact I will play you one bar of a solo and post the file and you duplicate it in BIAB.

Please just show me.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< I would like someone to take one measure of a Gary Moore solo or any one else for that matter and recreate it in BIAB. In fact I will play you one bar of a solo and post the file and you duplicate it in BIAB.

Please just show me. >>

I have an BIAB project that I've recreated a backing track to replace most of the original instrumentation. I did sample some 'signature' parts including the solo but I'm not sure that is what you're really seeking. My speculation is you mean to use custom, distinct signature riffs, solos created from existing BIAB RealTrack audio files content.

While signature parts don't exist in existing BIAB included or provided content, the program itself provides the means to create and include these parts in any BIAB project. If you play one bar of a solo and post the file, I can duplicate it in BIAB. Anyone can do the same with one measure of a Gary Moore solo or anyone else as well. Digital editing and sampling has progressed to such a level that simple software like Audacity is capable of isolating and capturing high quality samples that can be used in a DAW or BIAB.

Billy, if you or anyone is interested in downloading and reviewing and studying my recent BIAB project SGU that includes the 'sampled' tracks and a reference of the original song and final render can PM me for the Dropbox link and I'll provide the link you can download.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 10/02/20 04:07 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie,

Once again, you are proving yourself to be a stand up guy.

Just like you did when I needed help a year or less ago.

Thanks

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Charlie, I will PM you. I certainly would like to understand this process.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
Charlie,

Once again, you are proving yourself to be a stand up guy.

Just like you did when I needed help a year or less ago.

Thanks

Thanks for your kind words Bob. Much appreciated.

Charlie

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,730
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197