Go To
#614377 09/09/20 04:37 PM
Off-Topic
W
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Do you have any songs that make you sad when listening to them? I would love to read about the music that affect you in that way... for me it is a true sign of art if music can make your feelings boil...

The first 3 songs that came to my mind when thinking about music that makes me sad was:

Radiohead "Creep" - brings tears to my eyes when I think about all the people that feel bad about being different, when they should be proud of being special.

The Moody Blues - "Nights In White Satin" - I don't know why this song always makes me sad... maybe it is just the chord progression...the melody...´

Billie Holiday - "Strange Fruit" - Oh, I hope I don't have to explain why this song sometimes can make me cry...

Will

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
My "sad" button are certain songs about getting older - The Dutchman really hit me this way, because it is about 2 people that love each other getting older.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAMtkbz7i8U

I don't have too much trouble feeling sad - I think I need the same post about happy and "can do" songs : )

Last edited by Joe V; 09/10/20 03:44 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This one brings a tear to my eye because it is so true:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQrapQ4d0Y

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
This one brings a tear to my eye because it is so true:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQrapQ4d0Y

That was cute. Brought a smile to my face. Thanks.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am such a sap...

and if sad is based on bringing tears to ones eye this is a winner.

Last edited by MusicStudent; 09/10/20 05:07 AM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Definitely agree with Radiohead in the original post, though some of their other songs I'd argue are more sad.

Some Elliott Smith tunes definitely come to mind. As do some Simon & Garfunkel songs. I'm really interested to see some posts here - I'm a sucker for a good sad song.

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
He stopped loving her today by George Jones

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VExw77xJsBQ

Chiseled in stone by. Vern Gosdin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CvSsjBTu4c4

Super oldie Honey by Bobby Goldsboro

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rZiEY3O-FWk

I know I’m a relic

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Oh one more Y’all might know

I don’t care if the moon comes out! Our very own Floyd Jane!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Most people say "Any song YOU sing on"......

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I find it is really not the song itself that makes me sad but the memory attached to the song if it was a sad memory. With that said it could be a really upbeat tune that carries a sad memory that could trigger a tear. Yes even tough guys like me tear up, not very often, but we do.

PS: Almost forgot . . . and any song Eddie sings.

Later,

Off-Topic
L
Journeyman
Journeyman
L
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Do you have any songs that make you sad when listening to them? I would love to read about the music that affect you in that way... for me it is a true sign of art if music can make your feelings boil...

The first 3 songs that came to my mind when thinking about music that makes me sad was:

Radiohead "Creep" - brings tears to my eyes when I think about all the people that feel bad about being different, when they should be proud of being special.

Will

Will,

Big thumbs up!!! "Creep" is one of my all-time favorite recordings. To me it's a work of art. Best part for me: the discordant asynchronous guitar licks as the "creep" is coming apart.

Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
He stopped loving her today by George Jones

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VExw77xJsBQ

I know I’m a relic

Rob,

One of my all-time favorite recordings. IMO, the song and George Jones performance are works of art.

BTW, if the songs you posted make you a "relic", where do I join the "relic" club?

"Creep" and "He Stopped Loving Her Today" are both really well known. But, in a thread full of great songs, if there is ANYONE who has not heard these two, do yourself a BIG favor and listen.

Rob included the link for "He Stopped Loving Her Today".

Here's the link for "Creep":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkzRNyygfk

Here are 3 from me:

"Papa" Paul Anka

I think this is one of Anka's finest songs. Autobiographical, but applicable to most everyone. When he gets to the lines about children, I lose it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAxQWc3c5dw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unE8E581RMc (a live version, faster, but powerful nonetheless)

"Morningside" Neil Diamond

Unknown to me until this decade. Now it has become my 2nd favorite Neil Diamond song and record (in each case narrowly to "Soolaimon"), Though this recording tears me up when he gets to the crushing last verse, the musician in me has to listen again and again. This arrangement is brilliant. Don't know how this will sound to you in mp3 form (lots of "air" in the original recording), but on a top notch system, the original recording's strings sound about as good as I have ever heard. In particular, the string coda is ethereal.

Also, often, "truth is sad".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91gNHLC8fao

"Just When I Needed You Most" Randy Vanwarmer

I love this recording too. I think the "sound" (vibe) is great and that the instrumental break is beautiful and and beautifully done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBOQgL731Ac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
W
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Thanks a lot for all the good posts and answers! Unfortunately there are many of the songs that I was unable to watch/listen to because the Danish PRO-organization KODA is in a conflict with Google and YouTube which means that I cannot watch any videos that any KODA-members are a part of... (and that is many more videos than I would have imagined).

Will

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

We generally don't anticipated the loss. Sadness is generally about some loss real or perceived that we just did not expect and can not come to grips with.

Good songs generally have a strong emotional context. This one is a prototype for sadness and a really good country song at every level.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I Drive Your Truck is a sad country classic IMHO.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The saddest song I've heard is a rap song (surprise, especially to me)
In contrast to the Planobilly post above; what if you DID know the loss was coming and it was your end?

Quote:
.. According to MLive.com, Breed had recorded his last song two days before his death, called Everyday I Wait and featured Outlawz.[18]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MC_Breed

I have the "Everyday I Wait" tracks (and the rest of these sessions), as I was asked to be a participating engineer, though I'm certainly not worthy of a mention in the article.

The reasons behind why nobody can ever hear this song are sadder than the song itself (record company greed).
TBH it's actually kind of an inspiring song, though sad when the context is considered.
He knew this was his last hurrah.
He was released from the hospital to go enjoy his last few days.
He went home and recorded Every Day I Wait

Man I wish I could share this song.
This thread caused me to go type out those lyrics
(Is it getting dusty in here? My eyes are watering ..)

/sorry .. apologize for the absurdity of this post
//apparently some of the best music can never be heard
///thanks for starting the thread! it made me remember this song

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
W
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
One song I should have mentioned in my original post is of course this one (which not long ago went above 1 billion views on YouTube):

It is impossible not to get sad when listening and watching this... especially if you know the story behind (about the 2 children who meaningless got killed).
Will

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Protest song about kids getting killed is always sad. The video adds to the emotional context. I think this may be more meaningful to people who live in England and lived through the horror of the IRA bombings in Warrington and "the troubles" in general.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi
My top 5 sad songs .

Everybody hurts, REM

Honey, Bobby Goldsboro

He Stopped Loving Her Today, George Jones

Nobody’s Child, Various Artist Hank Snow, Karen Young, Billy Fury

7 Spanish Angles, Willie Nelson

Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,533
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200