Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Before the pandemic I would go to a nail salon.

There are ten zillion cosmetic nails for sale.

I want clear thick nails.

Where to buy?

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Before the pandemic I would go to a nail salon.

There are ten zillion cosmetic nails for sale.

I want clear thick nails.

Where to buy?

I'm missing the point, sorry.

"There are ten zillion cosmetic nails for sale": Does this mean that none of them are "clear thick nails", or you know that a zillion cosmetic nails for sale are for sale - but not from where?

Most guitar players I know use a device called a plectrum, but I'm no expert in these matters.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Billy,

I've never heard of a fingerpicker using cosmetic nails, although that doesn't mean some haven't.

It's always been bare fingers, fingerpicks or chicken pickin'.

Edit: And of course thumb pick and bare fingers.

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 09/16/20 12:49 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi there,

I am not looking for cosmetic nails that women would put on.

I am looking for clear acrylic nails thick enough to be useful for finger picking.

There are several types of plastic "picks" or plectrums. In the United States we refer to a plectrum as a flat pick. We also have thumb picks. We also have finger picks made from metal.

There are a lot more...

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is a quote from Tommy Emmanuel.

"You can either choose to grow your nails and play like so many fingerstyle player do. They either use their nails or they use the acrylic nails. I play with calluses that I've developed on the tips of my fingers. You could do that as well. Some people play with finger picks instead of nails. So there are a lot of choices out there."

There are a lot of choices, but they do not all sound the same. Metal finger picks have a unique sound for example.

My preference is to use what is known as hybrid picking some of the time. That entails holding a flat pick with thumb and first finger and use acrylic nails on the other three fingers. You can palm the flat pick and go back to straight finger picking. I also sometimes play with a Dunlop thumb pick that I modify to the length I want.

There are many things that are not obvious about playing guitar.

Cheers,

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 09/16/20 01:05 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Somewhere, Brent Mason talks about finding a gross of acrylic nails on eBay and bought the lot.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I ordered some from Amazon. I can use them but they are very thin. They came in 10 different sizes and perhaps 20 per size for about seven dollars. I ordered some glue which will arrive tomorrow and I am going to try to put two of them together.

There are plenty for sale but none I see talk about the thickness. Perhaps I will put a hazmat suit on and go to the nail salon...lol

Here are some that don't look very girly...lol

Used for finger picking death metal I assume...lol

Last edited by Planobilly; 09/16/20 09:27 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker

Fingerpicks for banjo and bare fingers for guitar! I find bare fingers are best for two reasons, 1) they mute the sound a little so the guitar never overpowers the vocals and 2) they are always available and never lost!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,

I remember finding a new flatpick that I really liked and I got a good friend to try it out and he loved it.

I told him the only problem with it was that they cost $10 each.

He said "To hell with that! I lose picks for a past time!" I said "I know, ... but you're blind!"

He said "My point exactly!" LOL

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Billy,

I've never heard of a fingerpicker using cosmetic nails, although that doesn't mean some haven't.

James Taylor has used fake nails for years, and he has videos available on youtube about how he does it.

I've also met guitar players at Merlefest who go to a salon to get acrylic nail for their style of playing. I tried it for a while, but I prefer the feel and sound of fingertips against the strings.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 09/19/20 07:21 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Billy,

James Taylor has used fake nails for years, and he has videos available on youtube about how he does it.

I've also met guitar players at Merlefest who go to a salon to get acrylic nail for their style of playing. I tried it for a while, but I prefer the feel and sound of fingertips against the strings.

Pat,

I should have known that but I've never really spent any time on finger picking techniques since I so rarely used it.

What little time I spent on finger picking was done on the banjo.

James Taylor's "Mud Slide Slim" album was one of my favorites for years.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

I posted it above (in this thread).

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
After the brush on glue arrived I was able to double the thinner nails. These clear nails are working fine. I think they may be a bit softer than the ones from the salon.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
The salon puts the acrylic on them which makes them thicker and stronger. You can do this as well but it is hard to do if you are right handed and trying to use your left hand to get a nice smooth acrylic finish. You can buy the stuff. I bought a gross of nails off of Amazon a couple of years ago and it will take many years to use them all up! Of course with the nails you have to put that hand in your pocket when you go to the redneck bars!

Richard Smith (finger-stylist) uses them exclusively, goes to the salon. I see you are in Miami. I am in Homestead. The salons are pretty safe now, they have barriers, you wear a mask, They have always worn masks as the one I use. I only get 3 nails on my right hand on the i, m and a fingers. My natural nails are just not strong enough for good finger-style.

Tommy Emmanuel uses his callouses on the tips of his fingers because he never liked the sound his nails gave him. Chet of course used nails and occasionally a fake one when he had to because of a broken or split nail. I have seen a video or two on YouTube showing the fake nail on one of his fingers.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Billy,

Many do. The professionals do it because they can't afford a broken nail when they perform every day. Some are lucky and have very strong natural nails. I used to use a hardener on mine but it got to be where they would still tear or split. Just not good DNA I guess. I find the acrylic nails work great. I learned to play watching Chet Atkins and he always used his nails so I did too. Of course classical players all use nails.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
[quote=Planobilly]After the brush on glue arrived I was able to double the thinner nails. These clear nails are working fine. I think they may be a bit softer than the ones from the salon.

Billy [/quote

Guitar Player Nails It is a lot of work for these as they are not like the fake nails you can buy. Although they sell those as well. They also have some of the stuff you may need to make it better for you. Plenty of success stories from classical players with their nails.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for all the feedback. I have learned to put the nails on. As I am not playing for long periods of time, the current nails are working ok.

Perhaps a vaccine will be developed. There is no totally safe environment outside the controlled conditions I have in my house. At times I get tired of being concerned with the risk. I guess we all do.

It does seem pretty illogical to risk contracting Covid-19 of going to a nail solon.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Thanks for all the feedback. I have learned to put the nails on. As I am not playing for long periods of time, the current nails are working ok.

Perhaps a vaccine will be developed. There is no totally safe environment outside the controlled conditions I have in my house. At times I get tired of being concerned with the risk. I guess we all do.

It does seem pretty illogical to risk contracting Covid-19 of going to a nail solon.

My guess it is riskier driving to the salon in our Miami traffic, than actually being there but I understand!

Off-Topic
Expert
Online Content
Expert
I spent years trying not to break nails and even resorted to tissue paper ansd clear nail varnish in the 60s and 70s to stop splits.

A couple of years ago I started taking multivitamins and calcium/magnesium tablets every morning. Not sure which of them is responsible but my nails are rock hard, don't split and grow like crazy.

and it takes a lot to break them so it hardly ever happens.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195