Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
I'm a big fan of Rick myself. I'm always looking for good sites on YouTube for learning about music, music theory, and entertainment, and he is one of my favorites. I've probably learned more about music theory from his videos than any other single source. Sometimes I laugh at him because he gets so into the song he's playing, or he rants but you can see he just lives and breathes music, and he knows an incredible amount. Rick has introduced me to a lot of great music that I would never have known about - for example Allan Holdsworth's IOU album, the amazing guitar work of Wes Montgomery, Martha Argerich (wow - how did I miss her??).

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

Songwriting
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
Originally Posted By: rayc
pop music is POPULAR music and, as such, is faddish, cyclical, auto-cannibalistic and often anathema to those not of the current target demographic.

Rayc - so spot on and well spoken smile

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

Songwriting
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have been one of his subscribers for about 3 years now. I have lifted chord progressions and ideas from several of the WMTSG? Series.

I’m trying to recall a single time where he was trying to promote himself as a big producer and I can’t recall one.

What I do love is his way that he has shown me a side door to bands that I have sneered at before or simply just disregarded. Particularly in their unique chord progressions or bass lines or production tricks or you name it. I really could care less if he has or has not produced a hit record. I have learned a great deal from him and rarely do I listen/watch one of his videos where I don’t come away from the time spent and regret it. Rather the opposite. For that, I am very glad his vids are available. His joy in enjoyment of great rock music is infectious.

It sure beats watching the news.

Last edited by rockstar_not; 09/21/20 08:41 PM.
Songwriting
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I thought it was an interesting video - interestingly, I never thought to question the legitimacy of Rick Beato's career. I've never followed TONS of what he does but it's always been very apparent he knows his stuff.

Cheers,
Deryk
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Interesting views and fun to see how quickly he "digs" the progression. And yes he seems quite pleased with himself grin

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Here I go, ruffling feathers again.

Who exactly is this schmuck beyond a self proclaimed music industry somebody with a youtube channel? He keeps telling us what a producer he is but I can't find anything about him that mentions any bands of note. Parmalee is the most successful, and from what I read on a quick scan they sold 7300 copies of their most successful album, and I don't even know if that is the one Beato produced. He seems to produce first albums of a bunch of nobody bands that don't sell and they move on to someone else. I just don't see that he has the cred to be blowing his own horn like he does. 90% of his income comes from youtube videos that I watch 3 or 4 minutes of before I realize it's not really all that interesting. He has a ton of gear but anybody can buy gear.

What exactly am I missing? I mean this is not Bob Clearmountain or Mutt Lange here. With so many bands self producing, people like this are losing relevance every day. For a while there every video had some guitar player named Rhett Shull on it, and more research on that guy shows he is a hired gun player who primarily plays with a lot of lower level bands. If somebody wants to get my attention, produce albums for acts that play arenas.

The link below is his production resume. Anybody there REALLY catch your eye? For me he falls into that group of youtube heroes who have no real job and need some kind of scam to make money. All the "guitar teachers" and guitar "techs" who restring guitars and gear channels run by people who don't even play in bands.... I don't get it.

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/rick-beato-mn0000357243/credits

Please enlighten me.

His videos on music theory are quite interesting if you are interested in that. He actually makes most of his money selling his Beato Book which is his music theory instruction. Most of his videos get de-monetized because he uses copyrighted music in his discussions so the rights holders get paid not him. He is also a pretty good guitarist, even outstanding.

I enjoy why is this song great series as he dissects some pretty good songs and explains why he thinks they were good and successful. His opinion of course. Plenty of good old rock and pop for us old guys.

But hey, it is not everybody's cup of tea and of course nobody forces you to watch him. There are only a billion other videos to watch on YouTube.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
To reiterate, Rick Beato does have two Dove Awards as a producer and no Parmalee in site. That is first tier producing.

I have never heard of a Dove award, but I'll take your word for it.

I don't remember seeing him say he is some kind of world class producer. He is just a guy with a lot of knowledge trying to make a living in a music business that is becoming increasingly hard to make a living in.

Since 1969 the GMA Dove Awards has honored outstanding achievements and excellence in Christian and Gospel Music.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
Shall I add that he is one of the rare interviewer to leave complete space to his guest. Never interrupting them, speaking too much, wanting to show off etc. On the contrary, he has a LOT of respect for musicians he interviews and humilty towards them (watch his full interview of Frank Gambale, you'll see what I mean).

You can dislike the guy if he is not your cup of tea but putting in suspicion his skills, expertise, and talent is not justified. Plus, this is is channel so if he wants to give his opinion on this or that, he is free to do it.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I can't say I learn a lot from his theory videos. Much of it is too far over my head and current understanding, and what isn't tends to not be presented as "well" as others may who are more focused on that aspect. Still, I've picked up bits jut watching even if I prefer it "explained" by others.

It well could be by year's end he has 2 million subscribers. He's an excellent resource for introducing his older audience to new acts, and his younger audience to old acts. I doubt anybody is doing it better, except maybe some of those "reaction" videos-

I think his "what Makes This Song Great" series is outstanding--super advice from example on everything from writing to musical knowledge to introductions to production. He's no you-tube hobbyist.

Sooner or later, I'll get his book. There's no doubt he knows his stuff, and I'll be able to peruse it more slowly than watching it fly by on a video.

Last edited by Tangmo; 09/26/20 11:25 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Just seems pretty petty to be bad mouthin a workin man in the music industry.

That's a very odd statement.
I've known a few people "workin ..in the music business..." that deserve being called out.
Let's try "Just seems pretty petty to be bad mouthin' a workin' man in the adult film industry."
or
"Just seems pretty petty to be bad mouthin' a workin' womman in the solar industry."
How about...
"Just seems pretty petty to be bad mouthin'."?
OR allow folk to express a contrary opinion.

Last edited by rayc; 10/14/20 02:08 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I like Rick's videos. I think he's being generous with his praise for some of these songs. I just can't imagine any of them being played at football stadiums, for example, 50 years from now the way the 60s and 70s songs are played today. They probably won't have any staying power.

Last edited by jptjptjpt; 10/15/20 05:03 PM.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195