Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Songwriting
PG Music Staff
Online Happy
PG Music Staff
We love Rick Beato in our house - so many great videos, so much knowledge!!!

(also, not shy with his opinions!)

Thanks for sharing!!! smile

Callie
Marketing Representative
PG Music Inc.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I especially liked this vid.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
The cicada hihats. I need to try that! smile

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Here I go, ruffling feathers again.

Who exactly is this schmuck beyond a self proclaimed music industry somebody with a youtube channel? He keeps telling us what a producer he is but I can't find anything about him that mentions any bands of note. Parmalee is the most successful, and from what I read on a quick scan they sold 7300 copies of their most successful album, and I don't even know if that is the one Beato produced. He seems to produce first albums of a bunch of nobody bands that don't sell and they move on to someone else. I just don't see that he has the cred to be blowing his own horn like he does. 90% of his income comes from youtube videos that I watch 3 or 4 minutes of before I realize it's not really all that interesting. He has a ton of gear but anybody can buy gear.

What exactly am I missing? I mean this is not Bob Clearmountain or Mutt Lange here. With so many bands self producing, people like this are losing relevance every day. For a while there every video had some guitar player named Rhett Shull on it, and more research on that guy shows he is a hired gun player who primarily plays with a lot of lower level bands. If somebody wants to get my attention, produce albums for acts that play arenas.

The link below is his production resume. Anybody there REALLY catch your eye? For me he falls into that group of youtube heroes who have no real job and need some kind of scam to make money. All the "guitar teachers" and guitar "techs" who restring guitars and gear channels run by people who don't even play in bands.... I don't get it.

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/rick-beato-mn0000357243/credits

Please enlighten me.

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/17/20 11:12 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I like him for his in depth analysis of some of my favorite hard rock songs. It's interesting to hear what keys/modes bands use and some of the trickery that happens in the studio to make it sound the way the final outcome is. Nothing more, nothing less for me.....

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Seriously?

Based on the link you showed, this guy has contributed to 210 albums in the past 20 years as either: composer, producer, mixing and sound engineer for vocals, percussion, Organ, Piano and guitar. That is over 10 albums a year for 20 years!

On top of that a YouTube channel with 1.81 million subscribers. He is a character, which makes his discussion interesting. But more than that he has 35 + years in the music industry including being a guitarist.

What is not to get?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Based on the link you showed, this guy has contributed to 210 albums in the past 20 years as either: composer, producer, mixing and sound engineer for vocals, percussion, Organ, Piano and guitar.

You ever heard of any of those 210? Ever seen any of those bands at "The Enormodome"? The top Parmalee album he produced some 7300 copies. Yes, it's more than me, but I am not the standard. I listen far more to what Don Was says, or Steve Albini.

Most of his income comes from youtube. Shouldn't most of his income come from producing platinum albums?

For comparison, look up Todd Rundgren's production credits. Tell me which of the 2 has more street cred.

Not saying the guy is a stiff, but that I don't know any bands he has done that were major successes. He has his roster of minor leaguers from Atlanta where he is that are always on his youtube but they just say "Well, I think....". You know what part of the body opinions are like, right? TEACH us! Like Recording Revolution does on his youtube channel.

But, to each their own.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Songwriting
L
Expert
Expert
L
I wish I could pick out the chords that fast and know what key they were from. I mean without having to seem to think about it. frown

Last edited by lambada; 09/17/20 03:52 PM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Pretty sure he reviewed each song and made notes before he filmed.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Rick can be very annoying and tends to rant a bit but the What makes... series is interesting. He does hang with also ran musicians/youtube folk but he has a good ear.
I suspect any random top 10 across the 50s to now would be rendered to some songs using the same chord progression, having the same drum beat etc. The Wrecking Crew would've been called out for being the same players I suppose. Don't get me wrong, I didn't like any of the ten he essayed but pop music is POPULAR music and, as such, is faddish, cyclical, auto-cannibalistic and often anathema to those not of the current target demographic.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
I like him for his in depth analysis of some of my favorite hard rock songs. It's interesting to hear what keys/modes bands use and some of the trickery that happens in the studio to make it sound the way the final outcome is. Nothing more, nothing less for me.....

Yes, same here, Steve.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Just seems pretty petty to be bad mouthin a workin man in the music industry.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I don't know about that Eddie. Some people are pretty gifted in this area. I have a friend from northern Indiana. He plays keyboards. Now granted he has a degree in music composition and plays each Sunday in church, but he has something I will never have.

What amazes me about him is that he can turn on the radio, hear a song he's never heard before, one time, and then play it start to finish. I challenged him one time to just play specific parts, the bass line, the harmony, the chorus etc as the song was playing. He never heard this song before! I even change to other stations from one type of music to another...rock, country, smooth jazz...didn't make any difference. He played it perfectly!

A gifted talent I will never have but a talent I certainly appreciate nonetheless.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
My only issue with Beato is that he has an arrogance about him where he has positioned himself as a prime time player level producer. He is not that. You made a point of 10 albums per year. Think about that in this way. You don't work on one album at a time. Bands don't come into your studio for 10 hour marathons. He may have 4 albums going on at one time. Anybody with the amount of time on his hands that he puts into his youtube channel is NOT a busy producer.

Just a question to give me some scale and perspective. Would you rather list yourself as producer on 10 albums a year done by bands you have never heard of and will never hear from again or just one? If that one is by Carrie Underwood?

When you have to constantly remind people that you are important or relevant, you probably aren't. Newer shining stars in Nashville like Tom Bright, Matt Serletic, older day guys like Bob Clearmountain, Mutt Lange, Butch Vig, Rick Rubin, Nile Rogers, Quincy Jones, the late George Martin, Tom Dowd and Phil Spector.... everybody knows their name. Their resumes are common knowledge. And none of them have a lot of spare time to spend shooting and editing youtube videos. Beato has to TELL you he is a producer. When your primary income source is youtube and not producing, that says it all.

That being said, I greatly respect his knowledge, as he knows WAY more than I do. And in the purely philosophical sense, every man is my superior in that I may learn from him. Social Blade says his youtube income is as high as $493 per year. 752 uploads. It takes days to make an upload when you edit as heavily as he does, with screen cut-ins, do-overs, guest video shots to insert... I mean god bless him for as much effort as he puts into his channel. I have a channel just for the few friends I have to view my completely unedited videos about life stuff I want to share. Beato has 1.8 million subs. He puts out good information. I just don't care for his smugness and his representation of being a big-time producer.

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
As a producer, Rick Beato produced albums have won two GMA Dove Awards that's not been mentioned in this discussion.
As a songwriter, Rick Beato co-wrote and produced the demo for a platinum selling #1 Country hit.
As a YouTube Entrepreneur, Rick Beato recently testified before a Senate Subcommittee. (Todd Rudgren appeared before a Senate Sub committee in 2006.)
Also not mentioned is Parmalee still has a recording contract and a recent video release has in excess of 2.1 million views.
Also not mentioned is Parmalee's first hit album sold 91,200 by February 2015.
Also not mentioned is Parmalee's album produced Three consecutive top ten singles in 2016 making Parmalee only the 4th artist to achieve that hallmark since 2001.
Also not mentioned is Parmalee's hit single was platinum and #1 on the country charts.
Also not mentioned is Parmalee's 2014 nomination for ACM New Duo of the Year.
Also not mentioned is Parmalee's 2015 nomination for Teen Choice Group of the Year.

It may be wrong to assume Rick Beato's primary income is just YouTube. A biography of him also states he's currently a college professor on the faculty of a music collage. He's on the board of directors of a Charter School. Rick Beato has a bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in music.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
He didn't produce all of the Parmalee albums. The best seller they had was Feels Like Carolina. (The 91.200 seller.) That was produced by New Voice Entertainment, composed of Rich Redmond, Kurt Allison, Tully Kennedy, and David Fanning. If you all hang his hat on Parmalee, they don't use him anymore. My research into their album history leads me to think they left him after the first album.

I am NOT putting the guy down. I just think about him as the next tier down from the big dogs though he talks himself up to the David Foster level and I want to know more about his street cred. Your critique has too many vagaries. Like "co-wrote and produced the demo for a platinum selling #1 Country hit." What hit by what band? He was "not mentioned" likely because he was not involved.

But this is all moot. I just want to know more specifics. He knows a ton and I respect the knowledge. I can say I am a producer too because I did my own album t hat nobody outside the 45 people who bought it ever heard of.

But they DID get an autographed picture with it!!!!

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< He didn't produce all of the Parmalee albums. >>
Rick Beato didn't produce any Parmalee album or commercial single release. He only recorded a demo for them. He's put out a very detailed video regarding this and the story as I recall is that Parmalee was referred to him because other commercial studios did not think they were ready for commercial recordings and their material wasn't strong enough. Very similar story to how George Martin was connected with the Beatles.

<< The best seller they had was Feels Like Carolina. (The 91.200 seller.) >>
This is the song Rick Beato co-wrote with Parmalee and also the demo he made for them. According to the video where Rick tells the story, this occurred several years prior to "Feels Like Carolina" be re-recorded in a commercial studio and released as a single. Rick explains clearly in that video he had nothing to do with the recording and commercially released version of the song.

<< If you all hang his hat on Parmalee, they don't use him anymore.>>
Rick Beato actually never had any further working relationship other than the co-write credits. The members of Parmalee did have the courtesy to phone him and tell him the song was re-recorded and was being commercially released as a single. That was the first and only contact between them in the time period between writing the song and recording the demo and this phone call. Rick Beato's hat with Parmalee is singularly co-writing their best original material and making a demo of it.

To reiterate, Rick Beato does have two Dove Awards as a producer and no Parmalee in site. That is first tier producing.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 09/18/20 11:00 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
To reiterate, Rick Beato does have two Dove Awards as a producer and no Parmalee in site. That is first tier producing.

I have never heard of a Dove award, but I'll take your word for it.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I'm with you Steve. I find he is well researched, pragmatic, balanced, and calls it how it is.

Rarely do I disagree with the material he puts forward and discusses. I listen start to end. He has a lot of respect from the community, respect that can't be genuinely earned by being a phony.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195