Page 1 of 2 1 2
#615376 09/17/20 04:41 AM
Off-Topic
G
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
G
Me......: aldous harding , tuba skinny, big thief.

Always looking to expand my musical horizon and would love some suggestions to explore.

Last edited by Gary Weder; 09/17/20 04:57 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Recently I've been enjoying light classical & opera. So relaxing very very musical. I DON'T like the heavy classical stuff though

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I can't seem to get enough of everything these days, and I think I have a pretty varied collection of music in my YouTube Music account... looking through the recently played (and thoroughly enjoyed) artists, I've come up with my 'weird list' of artists that I'm LOVING listening to these days!

The Blue Stones
Jeff Beck
Halestorm
Joel Plaskett Emergency
Eric Lindell
Billy Raffoul
The Revivalists
Lawrence Taylor
Robert Cray
JJ Grey & Mofro
Nick Nolan
Bernard Fanning
The Record Company
The Unlikely Candidates
Royal Blood
Gary Clark Jr
Hadden Sayers
Barns Courtney
ZZ Ward
Elle King
The Sheepdogs

A little blues, a little rock, a touch of a country feel, powerful female vocals, etc...

Off-Topic
G
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
G
Hi Graham.
I know nothing about Opera but I like to learn . Can you suggest a starting point for a complete novice ?

Off-Topic
G
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
G
Hi Callie.
That's a good list of mostly unknown artists (to me). I will enjoy exploring them all.
Thanks.
Gary.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I guess what I do is "selfish/self-serving" listening. By that I mean there is so much music available to musicians these days there is no excuse for anyone performer to get in a rut playing the same songs every show. So I spend anywhere from 45 mins to a couple hours a day listening to artist I would have never listened to in my younger days or never have heard of today. Very often I go to sleep with earbuds in scanning YouTube.

For instance this young lady https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwAaCxe7Wjo

or this old cat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGpwgHqlfWo

Just a couple examples of many many more that are helping be build set list for my gigs.

Throw in the BIAB availability and chord/lyric sites and what used to take weeks or months to learn new material is now done in minutes. We are blessed for sure to be a musician during these gold rush like days of making music.

Later,

Off-Topic
G
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
G
Hi Danny

Danny wrote <"I guess what I do is "selfish/self-serving" listening. By that I mean ....snip>

I agree entirely with what you said. It is interesting to hear opinions from music creators as opposed to passive listeners.

Danny wrote <"For instance this young lady">

Kasey Chambers is close to my favorite artist. She should be included in Deryks''One hit wonder' artists who deserved more recognition? She had a novelty hit with "Not pretty enough" which probably did her career more harm than good.

Danny wrote <"or this old cat">

Mr Waits is the man , Hell Yeah !

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My answer would be who do I not listen to: Mostly Rap and Heavy Metal.

For serious listening it's heavy classical symphonies, mostly Eastern European and Russian from Beethoven's 3rd symphony to the present. A few of my favorites are Dvorak, Shostakovitch, Tchaikovsky, Suk, Prokofiev, and Amirov.

For fun it's blues, jazz, top40 through the years, Latin American, reggae, soca, klezmer, country, big band swing, roots R&B, and dozens more.

I just like music.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
G
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
G
Notes wrote <"I not listen to: Mostly Rap and Heavy Metal.">

Me neither.

Notes wrote<" I just like music.">

Amen - Well said .

P.S. You have an impressive website.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It's a funny thing but I rarely listen to music outside of when I am playing or working on writing something. I have a thumb drive in my car with almost 3000 songs on it and never turn the radio on other than to use the bluetooth. There are a couple thousand CDs here that live in binders and never get taken for a walk. Occasionally I will watch Austin City Limits because they tend to feature a lot of indie bands I would otherwise never hear about. I tend to rarely to never revisit. I listen to something and then put it away because "Okay. I hard that. What's next?" If I want to learn a song I will pull it into the computer so I can loop it. But other than that, no. There was a time I would carry CDs in the car, rotating 10 new ones into the binder every week or so. I have everything Rundgren ever did. I have everything Tower of Power ever did. Same for Average White Band and Earth Wind & Fire, but I haven't played any of them for years beyond those few initial listens. Lately on the indie kick. The War On Drugs, The Shins, Bon Iver, Dr Dog, Dawes, St Vincent, Vampire Weekend, Arctic Monkeys, Church of the Cosmic Skull.... But even them, I listen a couple of times and then put it away.

But that's just me. I know people who MUST have music in their ears 24/7. I love silence.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
G
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
G
Hi Eddie.
I have read many of your posts which are always intelligent and insightful and this is no exception.Some of the indie bands you mentioned are unknown to me and thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Eddie wrote <" I love silence.">

Perhaps the sweetest music of all.

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Oooh, I like this thread, lots of new music I get to check out. smile

I'll omit some of the stuff I know people here wouldn't be into - but I've been on a big Sufjan Stevens kick myself, lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJT00wqlOo

Been loving me some Sigur Rós as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uID1eJFYws

I'm a long time huge fan of New Order/Joy Division too, and New Order just released a new single recently that I can't stop listening to. Best new thing in years from them and I'm hoping it means a new album is on the way. I was supposed to be seeing New Order in about 2 weeks from now, but it got cancelled because of covid frown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6E6ugW7TOo

Been listening to tons of Future Islands recently as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZL4jbjQPm0

Last edited by Deryk - PG Music; 09/18/20 05:41 AM.

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Gary,

I failed to add that my artist and even genre list sometimes changes with each day. For instance I discovered Jesse Winchester late in life after I started using BIAB also aforementioned Tom Waits.

Heck very often I will hear a tune in some show I am viewing pause the show and do an instant search for the tune and artist. Just last week after I had thought I had heard all of Tom Waits music I heard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO-MpoBL7CA in some obscure film "Adrift" from Finland I think. Now it will be in my next eConcert . . . with BIAB it is sooooo easy.

Later,

Last edited by Danny C.; 09/18/20 07:24 AM. Reason: Adrift
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I neglected to add one name. If you want a passageway into classical music, I would start with Erik Satie. (Pronounced sah-TEE) His stuff in general is toned down, scaled back, etc....

And to get hit in the face with a powerful, dramatic piece of CLASSICAL MUSIC (capitalized because of the power right from the downbeat in the 1st movement) look at Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" (A Little Night Music). In fact, here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1FSN8_pp_o&ab_channel=HarpsichordM

This is 20 minutes of classical music bliss, in my lowly and humble opinion one of the finest classical pieces ever written. Right up there with Beethoven's 5th Symphony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOk8Tm815lE&ab_channel=F%C3%A1bioFidelix

Beethoven's 5th is a great study because they use a minor 3rd motive and refer back to it over and over and over. Wonderfully written piece of music. 36 minutes of beauty.

I don't know if you have had exposure to the masters, but again in my lowly humble opinion it is important to go back to when this all started. Of course music is older than the late 1700s, probably back to prehistoric times. Somebody somewhere figured out that they could sting a bent stick with a piece of dried vine and twang it. The next logical step is the discovery that the tighter the string the higher the pitch. And it continued to evolve from there.

I don't know if you are young, old, had any music exposure in your life.... It shows that you registered here in 2005 so I should probably rule out young. Tell us more about you. We can probably speak more intelligently to you if you fill us in. You have had some great suggestions so far. My main advice would be to expose yourself to every genre and learn from all of them. I detests rap music for content, but you can learn about production and sound/texture layering from rap. Old school country was a great genre. Then Bill Wills and the Texas Playboys added a little bit more of a swing element. (I SO want to do a country band with a horn section!) Newer age country right after that took a turn toward what because southern rock. Contemporary country of the current time bears little resemblance to the days of Hank Williams Sr. Far more lyrical these days.

If you want to know about funk, you listen to Tower of Power, Earth Wind and Fire, and Average White Band.

So much out there to learn from. It's a GREAT musical world we are in. I am just burned out from it after 64 years of playing.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
currently..... a lot of Bonnamassa.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
currently..... a lot of Bonnamassa.

The guy who picked up the torch Gary Moore left and ran with it. I saw the 3 Kings tour and he TORE. IT. UP.

But everything has a however. His however is not related to his playing. A friend of mine plays sax in a band that opened for him once and he told me that Joe is an abusive arrogant (word I can't say). My friend took a can of Pepsi from the fridge and Joe reamed him out saying that what was in the fridge was "for the STARS, not the BLT. You know what that means? It means Bad Local Talent. Now put that back and go to the concession stand and BUY a Pepsi." Direct quote.

Can't get behind a guy that is that mean to people.

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/21/20 03:54 AM.

Off-Topic
G
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
G
Hi Deryk.
Some amazing music you have suggested.

Sufjan Stevens - a wonderful dicovery thankyou . Can hear a simon & garfunkel influence.

Sigur Ros - Complex with a lot to unpack and dicover which makes for very interesting music.

I somehow bypassed New Order/Joy Division even though they are closer to my vintage but I will have to re-visit their music.

But for me the pick of the crop is "Future Islands" ♥ They may be my new favourite band.

Thanks so much Deryk and Callie for introducing me to a new rich source of wonderful music.

Off-Topic
G
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
G
Hi Danny.
Seems like you put a lot of thought , energy and joy of music into your shows. I would love to be in the audience.
I had to look up Jesse Winchester and was surprised to see all the notable artists who covered his songs ie
Patti Page, Elvis Costello, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Baez, Jerry Garcia, Anne Murray, Reba McEntire, the Everly Brothers, Lyle Lovett, Emmylou Harris, George Strait, Gary Allan, Willie Nelson, and Michael Stanley. So you are in good company.
BTW one of my favourite TW songs is "Martha" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Mse62NFl4 ♥ pure genius

Thank you for input and thoughts.

Off-Topic
G
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
G
Hi Eddie.
I am deeply touched by your thoughtful post.

Eddie wrote <"I don't know if you have had exposure to the masters">
As a kid I was forced to do all 12 classical piano grades which I absolutely hated. I was constantly vilified and bullied because boys play football , not learn the piano . This resulted in a love of Rock music and a lifelong pursuit of the Martial Arts. Opera however is a mystery to me.

Eddie wrote <"I don't know if you are young, old"> I am 65 years young.

Eddie wrote <"Tell us more about you"> Recently retired , Believe in live and let live, love making music ,
motorcycles and martial arts, bit of a loner , married 4ever , gravitate to fellow musicians . Love biab to help create music since retiring. https://soundcloud.com/search?q=gary%20weder

Eddie wrote <"(I SO want to do a country band with a horn section!)"> Would that be Western Swing ? I wish you well to bring that project to fruition

Eddie wrote <"If you want to know about funk, you listen to Tower of Power, Earth Wind and Fire, and Average White Band. ">
I regretfully bypassed these bands but I am going to rectify that henceforth thanks to your recommendation.

Eddie wrote <"I am just burned out from it after 64 years of playing.">
I hope you soon find the spark again to ignite those creative fires.

Thank you for your valued input Eddie.

Off-Topic
G
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
G
Thanks Herb
Another great new discovery

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199