Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Folks,
on another forum a chap told me I ought to play chords for longer than a bar, sing more softly and, without saying so, be more like him. A chap who writes slower songs with intricate chords, beautiful picking styles and so forth. I have few of the skills needed to do the things he recommended. I did have a go though. Before my last track, Idee Fixx, I wrote and recorded something as an exercise in the suggested processes, forms, etc.
This track has Rock Northern ^4 drums as well as two iterations of Celtic Strings and a Cello track to help disguise the shortcomings.
HB 12 string electric on one side, Squire Bullet Mustang on the other with a knock off Hofner bass up the centre.
[Link no longer valid]
Remix based on fj's comments primarily...
[Link no longer valid]

Lyrics...(dragged out of a folio of my scribblings from the late 70s to very early 80s.)

The Dismissal
V1
I’m reading the letters
You wrote me long ago
The memories are there
But the letters come no more, I know
Each page holds you there
Between the words and the sorrow
Between the words and the sorrow
Chorus
It’s cold so I lie on my bed
And remember
The 1st and the last time
I saw you
And in these memories I’ve found
A reason to be
And in these letters I’ve found
Your dreams I couldn’t see
V2
The paper has browned
From my touch as I read them
Each word burnt in my memory
But I need them.
I’ll read them again
And again come tomorrow
Come tomorrow
SOLO

Chorus

I’m reading the letters
You wrote me long ago
The memories are there
But the letters come no more, I know
They are words
And words are all that I have now
Merely words
But the words are you somehow

Chorus

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 10/13/20 08:06 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Rayc,

Your chord progression is quite original because it allows you to immerse us in a strange and interesting atmosphere In this context, we are really attentive to your well thought out lyric. Good work.

Best regards

Dero13
aliasJaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ray,

I applaud your willingness to explore new avenues. I don't think you need advice from "..A chap who writes slower songs with intricate chords, beautiful picking styles and so forth." Your upbeat Punk-leaning songs/production are some of the coolest offerings on these forums.

The instrumentation is cool. Very well done. The combination of strings/synths/guitars is excellent. Pink Floydish. It gets a bit repetitive after a while - some change-up along the way would be nice. Or some BGVs. The drums are a bit "plodding" and are the "weak link" (opinion).

The mix sounds good.

fj

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I think it's pretty cool that you took somebody's suggestions and subverted them, converted them to your own sensibility. The results of the experiment are quirky, expressive, and emotionally impactful. Success. Sounds good on these monitors too.

Last edited by Tangmo; 09/20/20 06:14 AM. Reason: punctuation and grammar for the English teacher.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello Rayc,
Your chord progression is quite original because it allows you to immerse us in a strange and interesting atmosphere In this context, we are really attentive to your well thought out lyric. Good work.
Best regards
Dero13
aliasJaniJackFlash

Thanks Dero,
A maj & F Min with no minor chords is a little odd I'll grant you.
I can't really take credit for a lyric I wrote about 40 years ago...that was a different animal entirely.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ray,
It gets a bit repetitive after a while - some change-up along the way would be nice. Or some BGVs. The drums are a bit "plodding" and are the "weak link" (opinion).
fj

I'll have a bash at those suggestions. The song is a useful experimentation platform.
Thanks.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
I think it's pretty cool that you took somebody's suggestions and subverted them, converted them to your own sensibility. The results of the experiment are quirky, expressive, and emotionally impactful. Success. Sounds good on these monitors too.

Thanks Tangmo, I appreciate your appraisal.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I liked it and thought it was a bit different from your usual fare. I wished the vocals were a little more prominent, maybe more than a little. Cool vibe to song that is your own thing, as I hear it. Well done!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I liked it and thought it was a bit different from your usual fare. I wished the vocals were a little more prominent, maybe more than a little. Cool vibe to song that is your own thing, as I hear it. Well done!

Thanks TuneMonger,
The updated mix has louder vocals, less string and a changed drum.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I had a listen to the original mix yesterday (didn't have time to comment) and the new mix this morning. Updated mix is better, vocals are now sitting where they should be I think.

Very different from what I'm used to hearing from you, and I prefer your punk stuff to be honest, but this is cool too.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rayc love this excellent mix very progressive song engaging all the way through love this kind of stuff thanks for sharing Eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Fascinating soundtrack type of intro, nice mix of progressive rock ballad and new wave. I like the feeling of 'early recordings' both musically and lyrically and how you have turned it to a well produced experience with nice use of the string and gospel vocal RTs. Intriguing chording.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I always like the moods you capture in your songs. This one too. Good production. I don't know what instruments are live and which are BnB, but they all sound good. Interesting lyrics. Unsettling. Good work.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ray,

Some years ago a drummer told me to put in an extra bar between verses and chorusses, although it's wrong if you look at it musically.
But it gives a singer more space or rest and it sounds more relaxed.
Well I do this quite often in my songs and it works well. Now you wrote a more or less similair story about that extra bar.
It was nice to read it.

The song is nice and indeed slow. But I prefer slower songs, as you might have noticed. I think the way you sang in your last songs before this one is more how I like it. in this song your voice sounds a bit thin and sharp. It gives the impression you were somewhat insecure. I know you're not, so try your more blacker/darker voice also on this nice song. It will sound more powerful, I think.
But don't change the melody. It is good, even with extra bars in it.

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ray,

Excellent.

The re-work really took this to a different level. The changes are all well done and help keep the ear engaged. Good mix.

Great job.

fj

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Ray
Go your own way, I say. That said, this is a moody and intriguing piece. By no means an easy one to sing, so I think you did pretty well. Judging by the lyrics, your younger self clearly had some insight into the bittersweet pain of lost love. Your video for Idee Fixx looks good, by the way.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool tune. Loved the vocal. Loved the reverb in the vocal. I got a Pink Floyd vibe as well. Excellent instrument choice. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Ray,
Listened 2 side by side. Re-mix wins! I just think it can be just a hint louder overall (it maybe that I am going deaf too.)
----
Disorienting smile
I believe that experiments like this, even if they are outside of comfort zone, still very important and beneficial to creative processes. It is a quirky tune, which is distant from what I have heard by you, but surely has a place to "live". I like it because I find flow unusual and hypnotic, but not to the point of rejection. Keeps attention afloat.

P.S. An side idea on this, if one day you decide to try something else. Maybe straight talking vocals? Soft, but without emotion. Meaning, letting music do the emotion part and non-melodic lyrics just to add another dimension.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Sounds better.
I think it's a great idea to take advantage of useful criticism but, I believe songs should be an expression of owns own unique character.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray,
A bold and sensitive progressive ballad from the Pygmy Beat!
The chord progression and arrangement held my attention... and the core lines are well written:

in these letters I’ve found
Your dreams I couldn’t see

I like that and the hazy feel of the whole:like an album song that`s not the headliner but soaks in with listens.

Robert

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195