Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
Who is an artist that is generally considered to be a “one hit wonder” that you believe to be much more talented/deep than most people presume?

Just something that crossed my mind and I thought would make for good discussion Just to clarify, one hit wonder in these terms could mean just one song or an entire album that seems to be touted far above the rest of the artist’s discography.

My pick would be Bobby McFerrin, who is known by most as the 'Don't Worry Be Happy' guy. In not-so-mainstream circuits, he is touted as being a phenomenal vocalist and I've always thought it was a shame he didn't get the wide recognition he deserved. Being know as the 'Don't Worry Be Happy Guy' must suck when the vast majority of your output is miles ahead of that. I bet his bank account thanks him for writing that one song though, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbfB62AAE5Y

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Surfaris - Wipe Out

for what it's worth - buffalo springfield

and my favorite:

Roger Whittaker -

The Last Farewell

...Deb

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DSM
for what it's worth - buffalo springfield

Huh? They are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. How much more recognition is there?

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Fergal sharkey.............. A Good Heart !!

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'd throw Spirit In The Sky out for consideration. Prolly just the times though.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I am not following the question. How much recognition do you get if you only have one good song in you?

In the case of the OP, Bobby McFerrin was mentioned in the original post. How much more recognition could he have gotten? At the 1989 Grammy Awards, "Don't Worry, Be Happy" won the awards for Song of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best Male Pop Vocal Performance. There is not more recognition than 3 Grammys, is there? Plus, Bobby is 70 now, and that song has been huge since it came out over 30 years ago. I'd say he got plenty of recognition. That song is used over and over and over in soundtracks, for commercials....

This bears me asking the question of Deryk. Aren't you like 20 years old? So his recognition would have been like 10 years before you were born? I get what you are asking but McFerrin got a lot of notoriety for this song.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Isn't this thread about ARTISTS? Everybody is naming a song.

In most cases, the songs you are naming got TONS of recognition. The artists then has to follow it up with more hits to keep hearing their name. For a great example, 2 years ago someone asked if I want to go see hometown hero Mark Cohn when he played here. My reply was "What is going to do? Play Walking in Memphis for 2 hours? Nobody knows anything else he ever did." (I passed.) That one song was huge, but he never followed it up with anything as impactful, so he got exactly the recognition he deserved.

PS. He played 17 songs. 9 of his and EIGHT COVERS!!! Held out Memphis for the 2 song encore and closed with it (of course).

Been a lot of great bands that had NO hits too!! Some led players to other bands that were bigger scale, some were players who just faded away.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Bobby McFerrin has more than done it all. What interested me about the question is that the song you cite represents a change away from what many of us knew him for. He had that monster hit, then changed direction entirely to direct a symphony orchestra.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Bthen changed direction entirely to direct a symphony orchestra.

Wasn't Robert McFarrin senior a symphony director?

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
But the question is what other song did these folks do that made it as well known as say "wipeout?"

Getting into the Rock Hall I think is different than having a string of well known hits throughout your career.

...Deb

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here are a few - 'scuse me if they had more than one wink

Some may be more successful overseas, but my pop reference is USA. Some had a few songs we know, or a few albums, but really only one hit.

After I hit "Submit" I'll think of a lot more. Gigging for a living, I've played a few of these...

Group: Ides Of March
Hit: Vehicle

Group: Flamingos
Hit: I Only Have Eyes For You

Group: Knack
Hit: My Sharona

Artist: Alan O'Day
Hit: Undercover Angel

Group: Wild Cherry
Hit: Play That Funky Music

Group: Baltimora
Hit: Tarzan Boy

Group: Dexy's Midnight Runners
Hit: Come On Eileen

Artist: Frankie Ford
Hit: Sea Cruise

Artist: Curtis Lee
Hit: Pretty Little Angel Eyes

Artist: Nick Lowe
Hit: Cruel To Be Kind

Group: Knickerbockers
Hit: Lies

Artist: Thunderclap Newman
Hit: Something In The Air

Group: Tee Set
Hit: My Belle Amie

Group: Golden Earring
Hit: Radar Love

Group: Looking Glass
Hit: Brandy

Artist: Robbie Dupree
Hit: Steal Away

Group: Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Hit: Relax

Group: Swing Out Sister
Hit: Breakout

Group: Don & Juan
Hit: What's Your Name

Artist: Billy Vera
Hit: At This Moment

Artist: Allanah Miles
Hit: Black Velvet

Group: Spiral Staircase
Hit: More Today Than Yesterday

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Although individual artists in this group made it big I think The Notorious Cherry Bombs should be included in this list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjkLf_X88WM&feature=emb_title

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
While reading stuff like this AMAZING thread, do you guys ever go out to Wiki and follow the trails? Notes mentioned The Ideas Of March. I never knew Jim Peterik was in that band and that was the path that took him to Survivor. And then you keep following names that you recognize from THAT page and that takes you to someone else and THIER journey, like Frankie Sullivan who took over the guitar spot in Survivor when Peterik moved to keyboards. And you see where the new pieces came from and where they went after. It's a fascinating web of musicians.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not sure I'd call Nick Lowe a one-hit wonder:

• So It Goes
  • I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass
  • Cruel to Be Kind
  • (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding
  • I Knew the Bride (When She Used to Rock ’n’ Roll)

OK, so one of them was a hit for Elvis Costello. I'm going to claim it still counts. wink

I saw him open for Elvis Costello way back when. I can't remember much of the show, other than thinking how short it was when he had so many songs I wanted to hear!

I saw him do a couple shows in town around 2014 - one solo, the other with Los Straightjackets. It wasn't an "oldies" tour, either - more a country/Americana sound, a bunch of new stuff from recent albums. He brought an lot of energy to those shows! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Re: Nick Lowe

Rockpile was REALLY popular. Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Billy Bremner..... solid group. Saw them open for Blondie in 1979.

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
I'm going to go slightly off the topic and list a one-hit wonder song that I haven't been able to stop humming to myself for decades. It's got a strong McCartney sound to it but it is right up there with any Beatles song I can name. The song is Alone Again, Naturally. I'll leave it up to you guys to tell me if this guy was an underrated musician or not. In fact, I could have listed this one in the 'sad songs' section too : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P-v1BVQn8

Last edited by Joe V; 09/20/20 01:43 AM.
Off-Topic
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Gilbert O'Sullivan had several hits but early in his career he dressed as a northern waif - flat cap and tweed jacket - a bit like angus young wearing a school uniform. a gimmick he had discarded by the time this video was made.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, Gilbert O'Sullivan (real name I think is Ray O'Sullivan?) had multiple hits including "Alone Again, Naturally". Others were "Clair" and another zany one called "Ooh—wakka—doo—wakka—day", and "Get Down".

His music is memorable. No question.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
While reading stuff like this AMAZING thread, do you guys ever go out to Wiki and follow the trails? Notes mentioned The Ideas Of March. I never knew Jim Peterik was in that band and that was the path that took him to Survivor. And then you keep following names that you recognize from THAT page and that takes you to someone else and THIER journey, like Frankie Sullivan who took over the guitar spot in Survivor when Peterik moved to keyboards. And you see where the new pieces came from and where they went after. It's a fascinating web of musicians.

I always heard the name 'Survivor' had to do with Peterik's involvement with Chase .. he had just recently started to be involved with the band when the plane crash happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_(band)
Ides of March was very cool at the time.

But yeah, WIKI can be fun to learn about musicians and who they played with.
Example: Adrian Belew, not very well known but has played with a lot of legends. King Crimson, David Bowie, Frank Zappa, etc.
He's on my 'want to meet someday' list. I bet there are a few stories to hear there.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Saga-On The Loose

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,480
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195