Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#614723 09/12/20 09:35 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
C
OP Offline
C
For the past week or so, whenever I launch BIAB2020 Mac, I get that alert. So, I can't hear any files. I can use the DAW Plugin, though I can't sample any styles. I would love it if someone can suggest a solution (I also emailed PGMusic support). Thanks so much in advance.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: cataloger1
For the past week or so, whenever I launch BIAB2020 Mac, I get that alert. So, I can't hear any files. I can use the DAW Plugin, though I can't sample any styles. I would love it if someone can suggest a solution (I also emailed PGMusic support). Thanks so much in advance.
We need a lot more info. Start with your BIAB version and MacOS build.

BIAB is looking for the Apple DLS Music Device. Normally, this is the General MIDI Synth. Perhaps the following links will point you in the right direction:

Apple user pages DLS Music Device

https://www.mixagesoftware.com/en/musicdevicehost/help/HTML/dlsmusicdevice.html

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello,

We added this warning message to Band-in-a-Box in a recent build, because we noticed that recently the Apple synth (DLS Music Device) which Band-in-a-Box requires, is missing or cannot be accessed by Band-in-a-Box on some Macs. This problem has only appeared recently and is infrequent.

The solution that we have found at this point, is to create a new user account on the Mac - this fixes the problem. Let us know what you find.

EDIT: Actually, the link that Mike Halloran posted looks like it may be the solution. Please try that solution, and report back.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250871530

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 09/14/20 09:19 AM.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
C
OP Offline
C
I have the latest version of BIAB, and MacOS 10.15.6. I have looked at both of those links, and neither has helped.

C
OP Offline
C
I tried creating a new user account. Though I did not get the warning anymore, I can't hear any sounds on BIAB. Both of the folders that are listed in the linked article are empty.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Can you go to Options > MIDI Input/Output Ports, and on Bass choose "MIDI Plugins", then click <-- Set All Ports To This and click OK.

Next, click on the Plugins button in the File or Misc toolbar, and choose Default Synth. In the upper right, make sure the option selected is <AUi> Apple: DLSMusicDevice.

Now close that window and try playing your song.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Mac Plugin.png (557.02 KB, 5 downloads)

I work here
C
OP Offline
C
The input/output ports are already set as you suggested. When I chose the plugins button, and chose Default Synth, the option you suggested is not in the list of plugins available.

Expert
Expert
Hmmmm... GarageBand uses that synth, too. Do you have it installed with all of the instruments? If not, do so and install any of the electronic instrument packs, then reboot.

Tell us what happens.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
the option you suggested is not in the list of plugins available.

Also, can you please post a screenshot of your plugins dialog showing this? You can use Command+Shift+f4 to take a screenshot, and then attach it to your forum reply using the 'File Manager' link.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Hmmmm... GarageBand uses that synth, too. Do you have it installed with all of the instruments? If not, do so and install any of the electronic instrument packs, then reboot.

Tell us what happens.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I went into GarageBand, downloaded all available sounds, and I can use BIAB again! Yay!

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Excellent news! Thanks for that suggestion Mike!

I work here
Expert
Expert
Lucky guess.

Actually, I was thinking that, since Apple uses it and the OP couldn't find it, perhaps it might not be there.

Naw… can't be that simple… but sometimes it is.

Glad it worked.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
We're still a little puzzled at this issue to be honest. DLSMusicDevice is built in to macOS, and Band-in-a-Box doesn't require having Garageband installed - this is why we can have a fresh install of Catalina work with Band-in-a-Box immediately.

In addition, I suggested the GarageBand fix to another customer, and it didn't work for him, so there are likely multiple layers to this issue.

I work here
Expert
Expert
I'm puzzled by the online suggestions that say that one needs to access it through a User account.

While not denying it works for those users, this doesn't make sense.

I'm wondering if this isn't related to an OS bug I found. To be brief, I could not access the default templates—directory is empty but when I follow the path, they are in place. While creating a new template, I had no place to store it so I created a new folder. When I went to load the template, all the default templates folders now appeared as they should alongside the one I'd created earlier. This happened in both Catalina (2012 MBP) and Mojave (2017 iMP).

Weird

O
O
I am pleased to see that I am not the only one with this DLS problem.

Among the proposed solutions, there is only one that worked for me : create another user session.
But this is not very satisfactory for the workflow because my Logic Pro work sessions are on my main session. It makes you juggle from session to session. It's annoying.

To help understand all of this, I bring the following informations.
Under my main session, I still get the message "APPLE DLS ...". Therefore "Apple DLS" is never available in the midi input / output options.
However, if I first launch Logic Pro X (with an APPLE / DLSMUSIC / DEVICE instrument track), by setting the midi outputs of Band In A Box (option> midi input / output ports) to "BIAB Virtual Output" and selecting only the midi styles, I get the sound. But I don't have any sound at all if I select the Real Tracks styles.
And if I close LOGIC PRO X, the sound stops immediately in Band In A Box.

If I set the midi outputs (option> midi input / output ports) to "Midi Plugins", I have no sound, either for midi styles or for Real Tracks styles.

Does PGMUSIC at least work on these issues?

I was hoping the move to MacOs Big Sur would unlock something. But it is not.

I also tried to reinstall Band In A Box. But it didn't work either

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Olivier,

On your account that has the DLS problem, if you open GarageBand, do you see the DLSMusicDevice or AUMIDISynth, and if so what happens when you try to select them?

To find this in GarageBand, show 'Smart Controls' if they are hidden (hotkey: B), then in the bottom 'Track' Controls' area click on Plugin --> AU Instruments --> Apple.

What do you see in that submenu?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
O
O
Hello

If I do this, the behavior is the same as described in my previous post:
- in Band in a Box: midi sounds but not RealTracks sounds
- mute sounds as soon as I remove the track "GarageBand Apple DLSMusicDevice" or as soon as I close Garageband

If I create a GarageBand track with AUMIDISynth or AUSampler, it's the same. The only difference compared to AppleDLSMusicDevice is that all midi notes in Band In A Box are played by a single sound. Whereas if I select AppleDLsMusicDevice, I have all the sounds of the arrangement (bass / piano / drums / ...)

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
If I do this, the behavior is the same as described in my previous post:
- in Band in a Box: midi sounds but not RealTracks sounds
- mute sounds as soon as I remove the track "GarageBand Apple DLSMusicDevice" or as soon as I close Garageband

I'm not sure if we are on the same page. To clarify, I'm ONLY talking about the original user account where you have the problem. Could you please compare what you see on your system with the screenshots below.

1. In Band-in-a-Box, open the Plugins dialog - you can get there via the Plugins tab of the Mixer.

2. In GarageBand:

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
O
O
Hello,

Yes, that's exactly what I did.
None of the Apple plugins appear in the Band in A Box plugins window.

O
O
What I was emphasizing is that whether or not I had sound on my main session depended on opening Garage Band (or logic pro x) with a track with AppleDLSMusicDevice. This is the only way to have sound on my main session (the one where I have the problem). As soon as you close the track (or directly Garage Band / Logic Pro), the sound stops in Band in A box

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,558
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199