Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As soon as I saw "wedding" I clicked past this. I don't want to play for old people who see one band per year and don't know good from bad. I played maybe 6 of them in my life.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
As soon as I saw "wedding" I clicked past this. I don't want to play for old people who see one band per year and don't know good from bad. I played maybe 6 of them in my life.

I made a lot of money playing weddings, American Legions, VFW, Elks Lodges, etc, that is until DJs took over the wedding scene and the DWI laws; the local vet clubs stopped having bands because fewer people were drinking. We were busy every weekend with sometime 3-4 gigs, Friday night, two on Saturday, and one on Sunday. We played mostly weddings in the spring and summer and mostly clubs in the winter.

Some of my musician friends said that I sold out but I laughed all the way to the bank.

Edit - Give the people what they want to hear and you will be busy.

Last edited by MarioD; 09/30/20 01:26 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You'll get a smile from this Mario. The Motown band I was in DID play weddings, and we got $2500-3000 for our 5 piece band to do them. BUT... we just played what we played. We didn't do that awful chicken song and all that stuff. If they asked for a few standards to do that "wedding stuff", we would learn them, but nothing corny like the chicken thing. We had to learn "All Of Me" once, which I loved because of my long standing and well documented here desire to some day do a show where I was a big band singer. I taught the guitar and bass player the chord progression (thank god they both read) and off we went, with me doing my best Sinatra impersonation. Same wedding asked for "It Had To Be You", and again, all that was missing was the ruffled shirt. But after that, and a 10 minute version of "Endless Love" as all the family did the ceremonial dance, it was Temps, Tops, Wilson Pickett, O'Jays and James Brown as usual. There were 500 people at that wedding and when we did Love Train they all did that "conga line" thing, and I mean EVERYBODY there was in the train. What made it fun for us was that about 100 of the young people at the wedding were followers anyway, and had we been in a bar they would have been at the bar listening to us and dancing. For free instead of for $3000!!!

Another time, however, at the pre-meeting with the couple and their domineering parents, they handed us a list of 20 songs they demanded, including the chicken thing, Unforgettable, Satin Doll, etc... and after about 30 minutes of discussion (negotiation?) we asked if they minded if we went outside to talk. They said "No, sure. Go ahead." And when we got outside I said "I don't want to take this gig. Don't you get the feeling that they are going to be royal pains the way they are handing their daughter's wedding? I mean it is HER wedding and they have barely let her speak. And I don't want to do anything on this list." So we passed on that one.

What I had to listen to was when I went to mow my father's lawn and it happened to be right after the 2 times a year he went to a wedding and heard a band, and since they were the last thing he heard, they were the best band in the universe. Meanwhile, my father NEVER, not once, came to hear the band I was in. He just could not admit that I was good at something other than being a factory worker like he was. My mother came out once after he died, and she called me the next day to tell me "I never really knew how good you became at this. Your father would have been proud." And I just said "No, he wouldn't have. He didn't approve of anything I ever did that was not in HIS idea of the right way to do things."

Our band, for 2 years, between May 1 and Oct 31st, played Tuesday night, Wednesday night, Thursday night, Friday happy hour, Friday night, Saturday at 1, Saturday night, Sunday at 1 and Sunday night. I'll do the math. 9 shows a week. One day off to rest our throats from all that singing. It's how I had the money to have that MIDI marvel of a stage rig I used then with all that great Ensoniq equipment. Maybe 2 of those months we took one deliberate Wednesday night off, but as long as the weather was good outside, we played those doubles on Fri, Sat and Sun. Occasionally the afternoon gigs became rib burnoff gigs, but the Tue, Wed and Sun nights were house band gigs. Every week, and we were packed full ever week. They just never got tired of us.

But very few weddings. LOL!!

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/30/20 02:00 PM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We had the same experience with people that wanted us to play what they wanted. We also turned down those gigs.

We did have fake books as the keyboard player and I both could read so if someone requested a song that wasn't in our 350 song repertoire we had a good chance of doing it. We also jammed a lot on stage. But of course we had to play the Chicken Dance, the Hokey Pokey, Daddy's Little Girl, Feelings, and a lot of other typical wedding songs. We always built up a good rapport with the audiences and that gave us more word of mouth gigs, in fact for many years we didn't have to advertise.

Interesting fact in that my father never came out to hear me play either! After he died my mother did come out a couple of times. Small world isn't it!

Last edited by MarioD; 09/30/20 03:33 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You'll love this one Mario. I got a panic stricken phone call once from a band who had to do a wedding and the keyboard player had a car accident on the way and was in the hospital for what ended up being 3 days. The leader called and asked if I could fill in, that everything was charted and most of the stuff I would know anyway. So I quickly loaded up and headed out. Got there in time to set up, have a quick burger and start playing. We got to the point where we had to play an extended version of Endless Love (that was the "thing" then) and I had not played in it their key, so he gave me the chart. I spread it out over the top keyboard, and we started playing. At the end of page 3 was the repeat mark, so back to the 1st page I went. Then we got to the bridge, and I moved ahead to page 4. As I went forward from there, the music took me to some really weird place and I just kind of stopped and listened to figure out where they were. The thing went on so long that we must have played through those charts 9 or 10 times. The second time through I looked closer and saw that the stack of pages he handed me had page 5 and 6 out of order and when I spread them out, it was 1-2-3-4-6-5. Quickly fixed. When that set was done, we had our dinner and talked about what was coming up, never letting him forget that he handed me music out of order. As I looked at the list I said "You have a lot of stuff here that needs another voice. You have a mic you can set up for me?" So they did, and as we went through to list the winged harmonies were just beautiful and nobody had ANY idea that I didn't belong there. When we finished he said if their guy ever quit they'd call me first, that how I could walk right in and "belong" was cool. He wasn't a stranger. I knew him from LONG before as his band in town was a big name and in fact a rival of the band I was in then. It was the lead guy and his brother that had this all occasion band and I knew them both. One thing that was funny was when I showed he said "I had no idea it was you we were calling! We just got a number from somebody who said call this guy and when you answered we didn't have time to talk beyond knowing SOMEBODY was coming and we could stop calling people!!" That was really a fun night. And they paid me the full 1/5th of the fee plus he tipped me 50 bucks for bailing them out that way, and at that level.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I am the sound person for my church. I do sound for all weddings and other events.

Young lady had her wedding music all picked out.

Grandmother decided that her 12 year old grandson played piano and would be better than the bride's selections.

Young man comes in with his keyboard. I offered to allow him to play the Grand Piano behind him. No, he wanted his keyboard. Naturally, he did not bring anything other than the keyboard. I managed to get the keyboard attached to the sound system with some cables I had.

Day of the wedding...

The young man had about one year of lessons and could only play chords. He was also scared to death. The only person that was happy was Grandmother.

...Deb

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good story Eddie. I'm sure we could swap a ton of stories, both good and bad. Here's a good one for you:

We played a wedding were both the crowd and the band were having a great time. It was a 4PM to 8PM gig. At the end the totally drunk bride's father ask what it would cost to play an hour more. Since we were having fun and we know the groom we told him it would be the same hourly rate, i.e. no overtime rate. He refused. We started to tear down when the mother came over and asked why, so we told her about her husband's decision. She said play and I'll see that you get paid. We played another 4 hours. At the end she gave me a check that was way over what we agreed. She said that drunken fool of a husband was going to end a great party and since he was paying for the band he is paying you overtime, 1.5 times our rate, for the 4 hours.

As you know playing out and handling drunks can be a problem!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,631
Posts735,243
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185