Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Bawb #619154 10/15/20 03:56 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Had a listen to this a couple of days ago when you put it up on SoundCloud. Lovely song Floyd. Beautiful vocal and lyric. Piano was a perfect choice to frame your vocal

Thanks, Scott!

Originally Posted By: Bawb
Hi Floyd,

I gave this a listen a few days ago but didn't have a chance to post a reply...

May I add another title to the many I have given you on this board?
I hereby dub thee "the Troubadour of Troubled Relationships"...

"still the cries are heard
pouring shadows down into the street
sharp, accusing words
sometimes I fear I might go back
it's hard to stay away"

Wow, does this ever paint a vivid and sobering picture

HA! (I've been called worse things) smile

Always nice to have someone quote a line or two...

Thanks, Bawb...

jptjptjpt #619389 10/17/20 01:26 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musician17
Sir ... my most sincere of congratulations. You have really broken the barrier of the high standard you yourself set.

I love how you almost whisper the key lyrics. "The silence helps you hurt a little more" is just the perfect lyric - I, too, love how you switch from "you", to "her" and finally to "me".

Easily the best I've heard from you. SO sensitively sung. Harmonies, etc., are perfect - that goes without saying. The sensitivity of it all is the key to it, though. You have a talent of telling a story, of articulating what we mere mortals fumble to - and often over-complicate. You just go out there and say it ... and it works.

The greatest thing, the greatest compliment I can say and give about this song is this: I can relate.

Thank you for creating this song, for having the courage to write like this when most of us would rather hide.

James - thanks for the great review...

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Floyd
Well written and beautifully sung. The arrangement and mix sound great to me.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon...

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Lovely song. Well written and well sung. Obviously (from the copyright date), this song was written when an artist could express more than shallow feelings about drinking beer on a Caribbean island. Great use of the band. I absolutely love the album cover art work. If that's you too than I am really blown away.

J - thanks. Yes, the cover art is a piece I did. I do abstracts occasionally. I appreciate the mention...

floyd jane #619461 10/17/20 12:53 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi floyd very memorable and dynamic love it well done Eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
floyd jane #619478 10/17/20 07:07 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
It might have been written a few decades ago but this song has a timeless quality. Great job, Floyd.

My music may not set the world on fire but if it causes a glow in just one person's heart, it has all been worthwhile smile
floyd jane #619488 10/17/20 11:50 PM
User Showcase
M
Journeyman
Journeyman
M
A wonderful song, Floyd!

You keep the arrangement simple and open, let the words bleed out its own pain. Why does a broken heart create such a lovely music? 1977 – still timeless. The world changes rapidly, but the human hearts remains the same. We still need each other!

Great vocal production. The 2nd vox is great even though a Helicon is involved ;-)
Is there a -77 version of this song? Would love to hear it.
Thanks for sharing!

MacUser!
floyd jane #619551 10/18/20 02:16 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
FJ,
Beautiful ballad. Smooth and sad. 40+ years young, wow! I am scared of re-doing things I wrote 5 years ago smile Good lyrics! Excellent vocals by themselves, and that Helicon plug really brought them level up. Production is top notch. Listens very well. If I could suggest something, I would, but it is whole to my ears. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

floyd jane #619562 10/18/20 06:04 PM
User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
The sound of your production is up-close and personal and, therefore, intense. Your vocal registers regret, remorse. I believe you when you say you 'broke a heart once', but you didn't even have to introduce that fact because the evidence of the truth of that confession is right there deep down in the bones of the song's fragile lyrics. Memorable and moody strings and flute arrangement, too. A stand-out recording musically and lyrically.

Last edited by Ardent; 10/18/20 06:16 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello floyd jane,

Superb composition. Sweet as you wish by your voice and with a superb arrangement. I loved the violin in the background. Loneliness, evil of our cities, is very well expressed in your lyrics. Well done.

Kindly regard

alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks for the fine review, Dero...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"there's a river of pain flowing by my door
and half the tears are mine"

Trying to pull a favorite line out of this write is an exercise in futility -- the above is so strong.

The imagery throughout is overwhelmingly good.
Heck the first line grabbed us. "...Quarter past a late hour." So many would just write that it's late or specify an hour. Another phrase that struck us is a "bit of dawn" which is so easy to picture as a magnificent still shot.

A number of sad songs show up on our playlists but they are so rarely if ever this thought provoking.

We could go on and on. It's an amazing write.

The piano is perfecto as it nails the mood and is very complementary to your excellent vocal. As Janice says, "I always love even more hearing him sing with a piano."

You certainly know how to pick those MSTs, and RTs (that cello!) and your created tracks were very nice.

And your most tasteful artwork fit the mood well.

Masterful!

J&B

J&B - Much Thanks for the nice words. Appreciate the comments on the writing and the production (and the artwork! smile )

AudioTrack #619702 10/20/20 03:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
First off, this is beautiful. Vocals, arrangement, band, production and mix. All top-notch.

Secondly, thanks for not going where most songs like this go. Hurting a little LESS never cured anybody. Hurting a little MORE is what changes hearts. POWERFUL!

Lastly, I love this.

Thanks, Tangmo. All nice things to hear...

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Floyd,

What a nice song you made all those years ago!
Very sensitive lyrics and brought by you in a marvelous way. Poignant!

It was interesting to hear how you dealt with the harmonies with the use of Helicon.
You did very well with it. The harmonies sounded naturall, and that is not always the case with Harmony-software like Helicon or Altares.
I used them as well, but focussing on Melodyne now.
But whatever, you made and performed very well on this so sad song, although you always do!

Hans

Thanks, Hans. After hearing your Melodyne harmonies, I've been thinking of trying those as well...

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Floyd,

This is a really gorgeous song. I love this.

Mr. David Snyder! Always good to see you drop in. Really miss hearing your music on a regular basis... Come back to us, son.... smile

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Unquestionably classic quality.

Check the lyrics.

Listen to the vocals and harmonies.

Examine the simplicity of the backing, which evokes enormous richness in the overall delivery.

Not a single note was missing, not a single note was left wanting. Anywhere.

Classic quality. Have to say it again.

Trev - you put a smile on my face! Thanks for all those very nice comments...

molsenhouse #619756 10/20/20 09:15 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
Floyd - That's a good one. It's got your signature style and tone. Your facility with language and lyrics is always impressive. The song deftly creates an atmosphere of heartache and the descriptions in the lyrics create strong images. As always, a really solid mix and production.

Thanks for all the nice comments, Ed...

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Just...........BEAUTIFUL!!!! Tears at the heart in the best way!!! Melancholy songs are always my favorite and you wrote a doozy here!!!! Beautiful arrangement and vocal to top of a great song!! AMAZING my friend!!!

I never broke a heart.......only ever had 2 serious girlfriends......first one dumped me and broke my heart (and provided a lifetime of material for sad songs) and I married the second one! Well, maybe I broke her heart, or at least wore it out, by staying with her all these years!

Take care. Greg

Greg - Thanks for all the great comments...

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi floyd very memorable and dynamic love it well done Eric

Thanks for dropping by, eric...

Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
It might have been written a few decades ago but this song has a timeless quality. Great job, Floyd.

I appreciate that, Brian...Thanks....

Originally Posted By: molsenhouse
A wonderful song, Floyd!

You keep the arrangement simple and open, let the words bleed out its own pain. Why does a broken heart create such a lovely music? 1977 – still timeless. The world changes rapidly, but the human hearts remains the same. We still need each other!

Great vocal production. The 2nd vox is great even though a Helicon is involved ;-)
Is there a -77 version of this song? Would love to hear it.
Thanks for sharing!

Einar - Thanks so much! I looked through all the old cassette tapes stored in the closet, but could not find a recording of this. I'm sure there was one and it might be buried deep inside one of those tapes, but I could not find it....

Ardent #619826 10/20/20 04:23 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ,
Beautiful ballad. Smooth and sad. 40+ years young, wow! I am scared of re-doing things I wrote 5 years ago smile Good lyrics! Excellent vocals by themselves, and that Helicon plug really brought them level up. Production is top notch. Listens very well. If I could suggest something, I would, but it is whole to my ears. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha - thanks for the very fine comments.

Originally Posted By: Ardent
The sound of your production is up-close and personal and, therefore, intense. Your vocal registers regret, remorse. I believe you when you say you 'broke a heart once', but you didn't even have to introduce that fact because the evidence of the truth of that confession is right there deep down in the bones of the song's fragile lyrics. Memorable and moody strings and flute arrangement, too. A stand-out recording musically and lyrically.

Ardent - I appreciate the nice review. Thanks for stopping by...

floyd jane #619833 10/20/20 07:05 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi floyd,

Your words and your arrangement carried me back in time.

This song reminds me so much of what my life was about when I was in my late teens and early twenties, and trying to make sense of how the adult world worked. A couple of very serious relationships really took their toll on me. Even now, looking back 40 years later, I so clearly remember that "...bit of dawn from the second floor apartment" and all the angst and heatbreak I felt at the time.

This is very powerful songwriting. I especially like that last line of each verse that doesn't rhyme. It's such a skillful way of evoking feelings of emotional insecurity in a listener.

I'm grateful for the journey that you just took me on. Sometimes, being able to look at the past the 20/20 hindsight is soothing.

Thank you.
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
floyd jane #619863 10/21/20 02:51 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

Had me reaching for the Kleenex halfway through the first verse.

A fabulous piano sound and super arrangement with the string line
coming in at all the right places.

Your wonderful signature vocal and nicely balanced harmony didn't disappoint.

Another classic.

ROG.

floyd jane #619866 10/21/20 03:03 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Been there, done that, Floyd. So sad, so stupid. But thats Life.
Beautifully done even if it brought back memories I'd have sooner tried to forget.
Superb.
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
sixchannel #619883 10/21/20 04:17 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi floyd,

Your words and your arrangement carried me back in time.

This song reminds me so much of what my life was about when I was in my late teens and early twenties, and trying to make sense of how the adult world worked. A couple of very serious relationships really took their toll on me. Even now, looking back 40 years later, I so clearly remember that "...bit of dawn from the second floor apartment" and all the angst and heatbreak I felt at the time.

This is very powerful songwriting. I especially like that last line of each verse that doesn't rhyme. It's such a skillful way of evoking feelings of emotional insecurity in a listener.

I'm grateful for the journey that you just took me on. Sometimes, being able to look at the past the 20/20 hindsight is soothing.

Thank you.
Noel

Noel - good to have you drop by. Hope all is well with you! It is always nice to know that a listener can relate to what we are "putting on the page"...

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd,

Had me reaching for the Kleenex halfway through the first verse.

A fabulous piano sound and super arrangement with the string line
coming in at all the right places.

Your wonderful signature vocal and nicely balanced harmony didn't disappoint.

Another classic.

ROG.

ROG - you're such a softie... smile Thanks for the nice comments...

Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Been there, done that, Floyd. So sad, so stupid. But thats Life.
Beautifully done even if it brought back memories I'd have sooner tried to forget.
Superb.
Ian

Ian! Nice to see you drop in for a listen. Thanks! You come to mind every time we are in AMI (was just there this past weekend).

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,576
Posts734,570
Members38,494
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY, Fender601, VIPBET사설토토
38,494 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193