Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#617602 10/02/20 05:47 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I had a conversation earlier about a drummer that I used to know. Any time the chat got around to his faves he would rattle off the same list. Neil Peart, Mike Mangini, Mike Portnoy, Thomas Lange and Gavin Harrison. And he'd go on and on about how they were just the greatest thing since someone thought to stretch a dead animal skin across a barrel. But I stared to notice one thing about him and his short list. Every one of those drummers has a drum kit so huge that you couldn't even see the guy. And at some point in the show they get their 15 minute drum solo and everybody oohs and aahs. But you know why that never impressed me?

With 2 rows of 8 rack toms, 3 floor toms, 4 kicks and 2 snares, and enough cymbals to make a brass monkey, during that extended solo, anywhere they swung a stick they hit something.

I told you that to tell you this. We had a place here called The Bop Stop. It was a smallish venue for jazz acts. I used to watch the calendar, and one particular show popped up, I bought tickets, and made him go with me. That night the band was anchored by Dave Weckl on drums. He played with one kick, 1 snare, 2 rack toms, 1 floor tom, a hi hat, a splash, a crash and a ride. And that was it. And when he got solo space, he played the tastiest, most precise solos ever. And as we were driving home I asked him "Weren't Weckl's solos great?" and he agreed. Then I hurt his feelings when I said "So would it be safe to say that you DON'T need a drum store on stage to play great drums?" The point he still doesn't get is that substance means more than flash. Not to say that any of his drummers are hacks, but when you listen to a Weckl, a Gadd, a Wackerman, you learn about drumming, not just wildly swinging drum sticks.

And I said all that to ask this. Do you have a fave on all the specific instruments from whom you can not only be captured by their music but also learn about the craft while doing it.

Mine would be Weckl on drums, Victor Wooten on bass, Tom Schuman for electronic keyboards, Eric Marienthal for sax, Tom Bukovac for lead guitar, Gordon Mote for acoustic piano, Paul Franklin for pedal steel, and Bryan Sutton for rhythm guitar. When I see those guys play, and then lecture if it is in a clinic setting, I actually learn about music. Seeing a Steve Vai rip his solos (and I think he is fantastic), I learn nothing. Jaco Pastorius was one of the best bass players ever, but Wooten plays with his heart and brain as much as his hands. Gordon Mote, blind since birth, plays piano with so much heart that you can literally feel his connection to the instrument. Sutton revived the art of rhythm guitar. Those are the kinds of people I admire FAR more than the flash over substance guys.

Let me throw this one out to Notes specifically because he is a long time established sax player. To remove circular breathing and a lot of long run-on sentences, would you rather hear Sanborn, Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Wayne Short type guys, or Kenny G? I was never so unimpressed with a musician as I was with Kenny G. Okay, circular breathing. I am impressed. I can't do it. I also love steak, but not 3 meals a day forever. Kenny seems to try to put everything he can do into every song. When I saw him I left in the 4th song because he was already repeating licks. In different keys, and slight variations, but the same chops. Amazing technician. Whitest cat in America. Sax is a soulful instrument. His play was like walking into Baskin-Robbins every day and always ordering vanilla.

And that part of the story is where I ask you all the question. And as many instruments as you'd like to address, who is your "guy"? Who do you learn from as much as or more than you are dazzled by their play? (Like Chet Atkins. He was on that whole upper tier that I couldn't even dream to play at that level. Like Brubeck on piano. Vai is there too. As is Al Di Meola and as was Alan Holdsworth.)

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That's an easy one. "My guy" is Tony Rice.

Even though I learned to play a ton of his stuff, I always followed a similar pattern in that I would play his first solo on the first break, and then I'd play my own solos on the second and third break.

The thing is, I wouldn't have developed the skills to play my own solos on the 2nd and 3rd break if I hadn't learned so much from him.

He's my guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Rice

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 10/03/20 12:34 AM.
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
There is one guy who is probably the best guitarist I've ever heard, but I couldn't tell you his name. If I might trespass on your time for a few minutes, I'll explain why.

Back in the 60s, the great American guitar makers, from time to time, used to send a couple of people to do a tour of England, demonstrating their products. You would collect free tickets from the big music store to go to the demo, which was always at one of the big hotels in the city. I think it was around 1963, when I was fifteen, that I got to see the Rickenbacker show. There were two unknown session guys from the States playing guitar and bass and they had with them a session drummer from London. The gig was at the Great Northern Hotel in Leeds City centre. It was obvious from the start that these guys were pros. The drummer had a Premier kit in aquamarine sparkle, with a 22" kick drum and a single tom mounted on it. He had a chrome snare and one floor tom. I think that 95% of his breaks were just on the snare - I never knew that you could get so many different sounds from one drum. Likewise, the bass player was fabulous. He played simple where it was needed, through to a staggering five minute solo entirely on his own. But the guitarist! I suppose it's not surprising - when a company like Rickenbacker are recruiting session players to tour England they can pick from the best of the best. This guy was amazing. He had every technique in the book and made it look effortless, but at the same time everything he played was either soulful or exciting. But the thing which impressed me the most, and this is where I get to the point at last, is that in order to demonstrate the guitar's full potential, they played jazz, folk, classical, rock, funk and every style you could imagine and that guitarist excelled at each one. I immediately realised that there were so many crossover techniques between the different genres and I left the gig thinking that that was what I wanted to do - learn to play everything like my new guitar hero.

Over the years, I've been influenced by lots of famous names like Peter Green, Mark Knopfler and Albert Collins, but THE guy has to be that unknown session player from the Rickenbacker gig. If you're still around, and that must make you about ninety something I guess, then THANK YOU.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Your true eye-opening moment!!

I used to share a house with a guy who was my best pal at the time, and while we are still close we both now have our own lives, and he lives well over an hour away. We talk from time to time and it's one of those friendships that in a 20 minute phone call we are caught up on everything.

I once got tickets to see our local Cleveland Jazz Orchestra, comprised largely of music professors from local colleges, who did a 30 minute set and were soon after joined by Al Jarreau, who came strolling out from backstage with no introduction and just started singing "Teach Me Tonight". Al did 60 minutes, and as he finished up he left his last song on a verse heading into a bridge, and out came Sanborn ripping a solo and smoothly transitioned into his 90 minute show.

But the show wasn't the thing. The girl I was dating at the time was a singer and she had a wedding gig come up so she couldn't go. I had no time to pivot to another date so my roommate went with me. This is a guy who had NEVER been to a concert where it wasn't loud, distorted and raucous from start to finish. complete with the angry closed fist pumping non stop. About 4 songs into the opening set, he muttered "Wow. These guys are really good." Then halfway through Jarreau's set he said "Damn he is such a great singer." And then when Sanborn came out he was dead silent. At one point at the end of Sanborn's show, Jarreau came back out, and quietly in the dark, 22 singers from the Cleveland Orchestra's stable of talent sneaked onto risers on stage left to sing behind the whole ensemble in this bombastic finishing number. It was one of the most beautiful musical moments I had ever experienced. The Cleveland Jazz Orchestra, backing Al Jarreau, David Sanborn and a 22 member chorus. This was the tour supporting Sanborn's "Pearls" album, with songs like Willow Weep For Me, Masquerade, Come Rain Or Come Shine, and notes oozed from that alto sax like I had never heard before, to the level of my thinking "I may just melt my sax down and never play again." During that last song, The Dream, I looked over and I saw some tears coming from his eyes because it was truly beautiful to see. I thought "I got through. He gets it now." On the way to the car he said "Wow. I really learned a lot about music tonight. That was pure finesse the way the notes came from that horn." I just smiled. When we got home he said "Can I borrow your David Sanborn albums?" I laughed and said "Sure, but you may as well buy your own because I KNOW you are going to." So we headed to the mall the next day and he bought the 4 I suggested. It was truly great to see that whole thing unfold. That was his moment of recognition like yours was that Rickenbacker event.

Oh, that show? The CJO, Al Jarreau and David Sanborn? 22 bucks.

Last edited by eddie1261; 10/03/20 04:20 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bruce Thomas (bass) and Steve Nieve (keys) from Elvis Costello's band "The Attractions" has always impressed me, not just because of their technical skill, but because they make interesting and very musical choices.

I think that you can learn from just about anyone who plays music well and tastefully. I'm working on learning how to finger drum (playing drums via MIDI keyboard), with The Pretender playing in my car for the last couple of weeks. There are some great drummers on that album (Russ Kunkel, Jim Gordon and Jeff Porcaro), and each time I listen, there's something new to learn.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
For guitar I've always said Paul Gilbert was the most musical shredder out there, compared to the likes of Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani. For non-shredders, my personal favourite has always been Jag Tanna from I Mother Earth.

For drummers, y'all gotta check out Louis Cole, that kid is a demon on a tiny drum kit! On a more normal-sized kit, Baard Kolstad is probably the most technically proficient drummers I've ever seen, and definitely "my guy". Look up "The Sky Is Red" for a drum playthrough - absolutely impeccable drumming! I think the song is mostly in 11/4 and he manages it with ease. Makes me want to get a drum set again and re-live my teenagehood...

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,623
Posts735,201
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185