Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#617629 - 10/03/20 03:21 AM [User Showcase] Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal
Loc: Aichi, Japan
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

Hello, forum friends

This time I would like to post a jazz vocal song.
It is a song about the feelings of a couple who have got tired of their married life.
I have prepared two versions with different arrangements.
One is a fast tempo combo jazz version using Band-in-a-box MIDI style.
The other is a slow tempo live band version with strings arrangement.
The music circle I belong to has a recording session every summer and winter, but this summer it was canceled due to the corona disturbance, so I am using the recording of the session 7 or 8 years ago.
I have strengthened the strings part for the reproduction.
Any comments encouraged.
Always welcome.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Title: 倦怠(Translation: Ennui)
Vocal: Natsuki Yoshikawa, our local female jazz vocalist

Link of MIDI version:
https://soundcloud.com/animarorecords/ennui-combo

Style is PATMFAST.STY Ev.8 Modern Jazz
Style MIDI Instruments are :
Acoustic Piano (1) played with Steinberg The Grand 3
Fretless Bass (36) played with Native Instruments Kontakt5 Jazz Bass
MIDI Drums :1 Standard Room Kit (1) played with Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

Link of Live Band Version played by YAMAHA teachers
https://soundcloud.com/animarorecords/ennui-live-band

Summary of lyrics:

As I happened to be approached by a good guy
I got out of the party with him
Because I really wanted to get drunk
In a different place other than where you were

That's it, nothing happened to us
We just drank together
You doubt it, don’t you?
Rather than that, who was that girl by your side there?

Our marriage has already collapsed
We are just saying bad things every day
And there isn't even a piece of kindness
Now I'm really sad, I can't believe we loved so much before

Our relationship can be no longer restored
Let us break up, there should be no regrets
It's too miserable to continue living together like this
I understand it so well, but I can't get started to say

Love is melancholy
I'm going back to the usual place again today
Unsteadily in the middle of the night
Ennui, Ennui

#617635 - 10/03/20 05:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I listened to both versions of this excellent work. The productions are first-class, and I enjoyed the difference between the live and the midi versions. The song construction using a 5-note motif descending through the changes is great architecture.

Your proficiency and taste with strings is always top- notch.

Are you playing live on either version?

I see that you often say that the contributions of others inspires you in your work, but the reverse is very true… I listen to your tracks, and I gain new insights into how I can improve my skills. Great work!

#617652 - 10/03/20 07:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Shigeki Adachi,

It is always a pleasure to hear your music.

MIDI version:
Beautiful vocals. Awesome piano. Nice bass - full and crisp.
The open hi-hat (on the left) on the drum track is distracting to my ear. Too loud (in my opinion).

Live version:
Beautiful strings. Vocal is excellent. Great bass sound. Nice drums.
Excellent mix.

fj

#617693 - 10/03/20 02:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Shigeki,
Your productions are always top shelf; both versions are excellent examples of your composition and arranging skills.
I preferred the more sultry and romantic live band version where the bass and strings really shine.
Both are beautifully sung by Natsuki.

Robert

#618264 - 10/07/20 09:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

Tom,

Thank you very much for taking the time to listen and comment.
And many thanks for listening to the both versions.
I am really glad you like this tune.
I much appreciate your comment to the song construction.

I love playing musical instruments and often play the piano and guitar.
However, I am not good enough to play in recording, so I do not participate in live performances and concentrate exclusively on writing scores.
The piano solo of the MIDI version is also generated by BIAB MIDI soloist.
I am always very encouraged by your kind words.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#618268 - 10/07/20 11:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hello again, Shigeki Adachi,

This sounds like it's been inspired by French composers/arrangers Francis Lai and Paul Mauriat. It's such a delightful listen.

I love the arrangement and where you've taken the music. As always, you show your flair for chord progressions that mesh together seamlessly. I'm listening to the live version and it's a journey in sound that leads the listener along smoothly and enjoyably from start to finish.

Yet another terrific work!

Once more Natsuki Yoshikawa's vocals sparkle with competence. This is a great jazz group you work with!

All the best,
Noel

#618286 - 10/08/20 04:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
VERY cool song and performance - sumptuous vocal too.
LIVE ONE.
I think the bass could have some top end removed - it's very toppy and pokes through a bit ...there're also some extraneous noises attached to it in the intro.
I'd love to hear it with the bass tone from one of Scott Walker's 1st three albums.
Excellent
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#618299 - 10/08/20 04:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Shigecki ...

You always post some of the very best music on the forum. This song is another super production! Natsuki did a wonderful job on the vocal. Love the change to the walking bass on the chorus and instrumental portions. This is a wonderful song and true pleasure to listen to. Excellent!

Wishing you the very best.

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#618632 - 10/10/20 10:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

floyd,

I listened to the MIDI version of the mix again with headphones carefully.
As you say, the hi-hat is very noisy.
I usually use speakers to mix, so I didn't notice it.
Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#618633 - 10/10/20 10:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

Robert,

I much appreciate your compliments to the vocal.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#618634 - 10/10/20 10:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

Hello again, Noel

Yes, I wrote this song greatly inspired by French composers/arrangers.
I much appreciate your compliments to the vocal.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#618648 - 10/11/20 06:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Created intense intrigue right from the first bar.

Smooth, interesting, inviting.

I really liked this. The discordance was particularly special.
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#618669 - 10/11/20 08:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
Loc: Chicago, IL
EdZ314 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicago, IL
Shigecki - This is a wonderful piece - both versions. I am in agreement with the feedback in the comments. Your skill at combining the instruments into a lush, rich production is very impressive. The performances and the arrangements are top notch. The vocals by Natsuki Yoshikawa are lovely. It's always a pleasure to hear your music, again and again.

P.S. - I'm also a fan of a bit of discordance, and I think you hit it just right.

Edited by EdZ314 (10/11/20 08:34 AM)

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

#618761 - 10/12/20 01:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

rayc,

And many thanks for your valuable feedback to the bass sound.
I will try to listen to the bass tone from Scott Walker's 1st three albums.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#618806 - 10/12/20 09:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
We enjoyed them both. Natsuki always delivers an outstanding vocal. And she is fortunate to have your compositions to work with.

We see no reason to compare them as they are very different interpretations.

We both felt that the first vocal notes on the live version reminded us of Somewhere Over The Rainbow! A good thing to be reminded of smile But of course the song quickly went to many different places. Wonderful places.

The jazz version was excellent and well showcased your midi skills.

They both sound very nice on our monitors. Great mixes and all around production.

Enjoyed them,

J&B

#618824 - 10/12/20 10:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Wow what an awesome song. It just filled my studio from wall to wall. Such a cool mix. Your vocalist is such a beautiful singer. Well done..

#619069 - 10/14/20 02:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Your music is always beautiful and interesting Shigeki!! Very cool song!! Pretty free form feel for a vocal song. The vocal sounds like a great performance but I hear some harshness in it....not sure if it is the eq or something in the recording. She has a wonderful voice and can really sing! Great stuff as usual!!! Take care. Greg

#620014 - 10/21/20 10:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

Alan,

And I am very happy to hear you love the change to the walking bass on the chorus and instrumental portions.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#620015 - 10/21/20 10:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

Trevor,

And I am very happy to hear you love the discordance of this tune.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#620017 - 10/21/20 10:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Title: 倦怠 (Translation: Ennui) Jazz song with female vocal [Re: animarorecords]
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

Hello Ed Z,

I am really glad you love this tune and the vocalist very much.
And I am very happy to hear you also a fan of a bit of discordance.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 für Windows® ist hier!
Wir waren fleißig und haben 80 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 202 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI-SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", RealDrums Transkriptionen, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 und vieles mehr!

Was ist neu? | Paket

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows - New Intro Options!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2021 there are additional options for generating an intro!

Within Band-in-a-Box, choose Song Form | Generate Intro to see all the different options available:
-All Instruments
-Drums only
-Bass and Drums
-NEW! Bass only
-NEW! Bass then Bass & Drums
-NEW! Drums then Bass & Drums
-NEW! Piano Only
-NEW! Guitar Only
-NEW! Strings Only
-NEW! Custom - you pick!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac Update Available!

We've updated our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac to enhance Big Sur and M1 capabilities, improve the notation window, resolve AIFF rendering errors, as well as addressing a few other user-reported issues.

Using Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac? Update for free today.

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2021!

Already purchased PowerTracks Pro Audio 2021? Make sure you update it for free today!

Our development team has been listening to user feedback, and applied some updates to address user-reported program concerns.

Learn more...

Band-in-a-Box® Guitar Features!

Today* is Get Out Your Guitar Day!

Band-in-a-Box® has many features for guitarists, whether you're learning or on your way to being a pro, or you are a pro!

Are you using an UltraPAK+ or own the Songs & Lessons PAK? Lessons from our Master Solos Series can be accessed right in the Practice Window! (Alt Shift L)

Use the resizable Guitar Window to follow-along with the on-screen fretboard, which is customizable to displays alternate guitar tunings, notes are highlighted as the song plays, and includes many more useful features for to help you learn!

The Woodshedding feature is perfect to help you progress while learning a song along with Band-in-a-Box®! This feature speeds up the song every time the song loops to the beginning, and you can also choose to loop a highlighted section within the song to really focus on the you could use a little more practice with.

Most of our guitar RealTracks include RealCharts so that you can see the notation and tab, allowing you to see exactly what the pros are playing!

A Band-in-a-Box® 2021 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition includes over 1,400 guitar RealTracks contributed by more than 50 different REAL musicians!

There are so many things a guitarist can do with Band-in-a-Box® - what's your favorite guitar feature? Do you have a "go-to" RealTracks Guitarist Artist you use for most of your songs?

*February 11, 2021

Big Sur & M1 Compatibility Added to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac today!

Here at PG Music, development never stops! If you're using the 2020 version of Band-in-a-Box® for Mac with your Big Sur or a Mac M1 computer, download the latest update which adds support for macOS Big Sur, and is compatible with Apple Silicon (M1) Macs!

This update will also resolve any color display issues within the program, resize the windows without unexpectedly closing the program, add notation enhancements, and resolve a few other user-reported issues!

Download & learn more about the updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows for Free!

Using Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows? Download the latest free update today!

With this latest update, notation display in Japanese has been enhanced, improvements have been applied to Bar and Song Settings, the MIDI volume change events will now be included in exported MIDI files, you can now import the lyrics with your MIDI files, export Utility Tracks notation as video, and we've resolved additional user-reported issues.

Make sure you download your latest Band-in-a-Box 2021 for Windows update today!

Tip: Head to Help | Check for Update... to put a checkmark beside "Automatically check for updates every..." and choose your day count to always stay up-to-date with your installation of Band-in-a-Box®!

Forum Stats
33966 Members
67 Forums
68351 Topics
585956 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
planedriver, MisterAcoustic, tumi2000, PF61, Bernat

33965 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 230
dcuny 186
Matt Finley 161
Al-David 139
MusicStudent 139
Jim Fogle 130
VideoTrack 128
Janice & Bud 126
CaptainMoto 93
floyd jane 86
Today's Birthdays
Adriano, Basari Studios, Edward Marcel, medioalmud, Reno Rendezvous, Richard Persike