Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
In this day and age of even great singers undergoing pitch manipulation I found this article a good read. I have a decent ear for pitch but apparently not keen enough after reading this. We have three pitch editors (all included free with packages) including Melodyne and Logic Pro X’s editor but I’ve never used one on a vocal - due to my lack of pitch acuity I suppose smile I do find them helpful to change a RT note here and there mostly to improve segues into vocals.

But I can’t help but wonder what my perspective would be, if say, I was sensitive to +10 / -10 cents. In the spirit of full disclosure I’ll state that from some videos I’ve watched I feel that the soul of a vocal can be sucked out via some examples I’ve seen over the years.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Interesting discussion here

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have very good 'ears' for intonation. This comes from long practice on the sax. The sax is not in tune with itself, each note requires a little more or less pressure on the reed to play it in tune. No two saxes, even the same make and model have the same intonation 'signature' and changing temperature changes the tuning of the horn.

This means my ear is always 'on the job'.

Does that mean I always play/sing in tune? Definitely not.

Sometimes a little sharp adds brightness and a little flat adds tension.

Example: When Otis Redding on "I've Been Loving You Too Long" sings the lyrics "You Walked Out" he hits the word Out flat and gradually pulls it up towards in tune. This adds the pain to the song. Auto-tune would be a great disservice there.

Sometimes the tuning should be more like 'just intonation' with another instrument or voice to blend better. In the equal temperament system, that would be considered out of tune.

Whether your vibrato is mostly above pitch, below pitch or centered around pitch is another decision to make in the context of the song you are playing, and the relation of that note to the rest of the song.

In the end, IMO the question should not be whether the note I'm playing should be in tune or not, but how my manipulation of that note influences the emotion I am trying to express while playing.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bob, that makes a lot of sense. We’ve always loved the sax and thought it to be much like the human voice. Janice bends notes around so much singing that she might cause an editor to crash

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah.... my sense of intonation is a curse. I can hear things out of tune that others can't.

There was a show on TV Saturday night honoring Mac Davis as a writer and I swear that every singer in the place was either sharp or flat from the band. I don't know which was more of an affront to my ears.... the sharp ones or the flat ones. Of course also in consideration, many of those singers on the show were stars 30 years ago and probably haven't sang much in the last decade or so...... cutting slack where it's probably due.

The cool thing about melodyne is that you don't have top rely on your ability to hear things that are off. It will show you the slightest deviation from the mean. I can look ahead and see things coming that I know are going to need fixing.

Used correctly, melodyne can actually help you become a better singer because it shows you what you're actually doing. Holding back, forcing, drifting.... etc.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Perfect intonation often removes feel if you are only talking that +/- 10 cents Notes spoke of. However, when you get into Britney Spears levels of tone deafness, it is a must-have.

Musically, I will never forget what Victor Wooten once said at a clinic. "You are never more than a fret away from being on the right note. You can always slide your hand up or down and make it look intentional."

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Oh, 432 again.

I’ve worked in the studio doing mixes of my work with many great engineers. They consistently do not believe me at first when I identify notes that are out. They claim no one can distinguish pitch differences less than six cents. I can, and I’ve proven it to them.

Having said that, I rarely adjust a pitch of my own playing. As mentioned above, that can suck the life out of a performance. I play two instruments known for being very ‘out’ with themselves, flugelhorn and soprano sax (Notes is right). My general approach is to only adjust a note if it is at the end of a phrase and makes the start of the next phrase sound wrong.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am pretty sensitive to pitch. I am a horrible vocalist. Because of that I have tried to adjust things in Melodyne for example. Sometimes it helps but more often it causes more problems than it solves.

With such ready access to electronics that can read frequency values very accurately, perhaps more people are aware of things being off pitch.

Intonation is consistently problematic with guitars and I assume is a problem in all string instruments. It can be solved for the most part but that only normally happens in high quality guitars. My Tom Anderson guitars play pretty true all the way up the neck but they are pretty pricey.

I find a lot of pitch issues in real tracks across the range of instruments I have listen too.

Minor pitch issues plus or minus 10 cents don't bother me in vocals. They are readily apparent in brass and woodwinds to me. Also guitars. Lower frequency notes on bass guitar are hard for me to distinguish. Perhaps that is a result of some hearing loss....not sure.

On time and on pitch...more than a little important.

I have never listen to anything Janice has done that stood out as off pitch. She is a skilled vocalist with a very pleasant voice. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...lol

Cheers,

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I used to think I could sing until I got Melodyne and saw a visual representation of how close to the notes I wasn't. Very eye-opening.

Having said that.. I do sing. It has been my experience that some genres are more forgiving to a poor vocalist than others. I can't sing any James Taylor song, no matter how I transpose it... but my efforts on some rock and blues (if I get the key centered on my range) are passable to my ears.

And as Matt said, I think we tend to judge passing notes less critically than certain critical notes, such as the first note in a passage.

The possibility of sucking the life out of a performance with pitch correction is a real possibility... but it's equally possible (and I think quite common) to ruin a vocal by singing off pitch. I know people who pride themselves on never using pitch correction... but.. .I've heard them sing and IMO if they used a little help the performance would be less painful.

We tend to judge ourselves on the best we can do, but others tend to judge us on the worst they've seen/heard us do. Considering the fact that the same person might sing great on one day but badly on another day muddies the water in discussions like this.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 10/05/20 07:01 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
And at the crux of this topic is that even if you can hear pitch so purely that you can tell that +/- 10 cents, that doesn't necessarily mean you can sing better to overcome it. I am flat about 20 cents on any held note, but the passing tones to get to the flat part are pretty good.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've been experimenting since my original post with Logic Pro X's Flex Pitch. I can readily hear a +/- 10 cent change in a note when modifying it with the editor. And if I play a note with a 5 cent change against the original I can hear the beats or "wavering"...guess that's why I've never had an issue tuning a guitar. However, when I play a modified note vs original in the context of a full mix I cannot hear the difference. I suppose some of that is due to having one of the oldest set of ears on the forum smile

Bud

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195