Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
HI All
Can you tell me what speakers you use for monitoring your audio projects?
And if there are any other amps involved other than say using active monitors from the pc.
I use Behringer MS20 near field monitors, but find they can sound a bit boxy around 500 Hz.
Does anyone use any of the Yamaha range they seen quite well thought of?

I am rather old school hi fi myself having worked in the trade, and believe in trying to get a flat mix and let the listener adjust their own tone controls and EQ to their liking, and equipment, be it in car, or top quality hi fi at home.
Your comment appreciated

Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 10/07/20 02:11 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
KRK’s all the way.

If I get my mix “right” on them it sounds good on our living room system with a subwoofer and in the Subaru with a sub.

Of course YMMV smile

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Adam A7, not to large and work pretty well. Typical German quality. Used ones on reverb go for three to four hundred dollars.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I use Mackey MR-5 speakers with a 10" Polk Audio 100w sub.

But here's the thing about those small, cheap speakers we all use.... None of them are going to be exactly flat across the spectrum. Especially the ported ones. The ports are there to try to compensate for some deficiency in the design but every time you make a gain in one direction, you introduce a loss in another. Read the first 3 chapters of Mike Senior's book Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio and it will explain it in better detail.

Another option you might want to look at is a software plug in program called ARC...Advanced Room Correction system. I use this.** It gets installed as a plug in on your system. Once it's in, you have to spend a little bit of time setting it up and letting it listen to your room. It sends calibrated noise to the speakers. You get a calibrated mic and place it around the room in numerous positions as the software tells you to do.... yep it tells you where to place the mic.... and after it samples the sound in several dozen positions, it calculates the room deficiencies and compensates by the audio is sends to your speaker. You remove it or shut it off for your export and the music is supposed to be a more accurate rendition for the real world.

** I have to recalibrate it to my studio here. It was calibrated in the former room but not in this one. I need to get the initiative to do this. Yeah.... I'm slack. Note: this software is pretty decent and lets you hear the music like it will be replayed factoring the room inaccuracies out of the equation. Maybe I'll do this recalibration in the coming week....... making myself a note now.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Have to agree with Bud...KRK 8's have been excellent for me. The 5's required a sub, the 8's not so much.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have KRK Rockit 5s down here and Wharfedales upstairs.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a pair of Yamaha NS40M units which are quite extraordinary.

But I also use a pair of Pioneer S-DJ50X Active Reference Monitors which are also hard to beat.

I wonder of the issue you are witnessing is related to a resonant harmonic frequency caused by the surroundings in your studio. Can you relocate to see if that makes a difference?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
A++ on the Behringer MS20 you mentioned in your post.

Had a pair of ProSonus Eris e5 that were fantastic. Very flat response, but also very clear bass and highs. I was really impressed by them.

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I use a combination of my JBL LSR 4328 8" Powered Monitors and Sony MDR-7506 Headphones but my real secret is.....

These are both used with the following software:
Sonarworks Reference 4 - Sound Calibration Software

What it does is tune my room to be a flat response for my speakers and it also tunes the headphones flat. They have a ton of headphone presets so it's usually not difficult to find your set of cans on their list.

Once I started using Sonarworks my mixes sounded much better. I'm not a paid spokesman, just a happy user. smile

Mike, your boxy sound would probably be remedied by running through the room tuning app of Sonarworks if you decided to purchase. I believe they also have a free trial.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Another option you might want to look at is a software plug in program called ARC...Advanced Room Correction system. I use this.** It gets installed as a plug in on your system. Once it's in, you have to spend a little bit of time setting it up and letting it listen to your room. It sends calibrated noise to the speakers. You get a calibrated mic and place it around the room in numerous positions as the software tells you to do.... yep it tells you where to place the mic.... and after it samples the sound in several dozen positions, it calculates the room deficiencies and compensates by the audio is sends to your speaker. You remove it or shut it off for your export and the music is supposed to be a more accurate rendition for the real world.

Herb, cool stuff. This sounds very similar to what I use in Sonarworks.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Adam monitors and sub in my production studio. Beyerdynamic 770 headphones. Presonus Central Station monitor controls.

KRK 8" with KRK 10" sub in the playing room.

KRK 4" and 8" sub in the backup studio.

And when you think it's right, you check your mix on earpods, a boom box, YouTube, an Alexa-type device, and as many cars as you can ride in.

Special note: Trevor (Videotrack) mentioned Yamaha. I often see in studios old Yamaha NS10 monitors that are the gold standard because they were dreadful sounding, although they gave a reasonably flat response. Engineers discovered if they could make those Yamahas sound good, a mix would work on anything!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
For my own studio I've got a set of Mackie HR824 MK1 nearfields - fantastic speakers, very underrated even with their $2000+ price tag, and hold their weight against the Adams and Genelecs I've put them against. I likely would've gone for the Adam A7's if I hadn't found the Mackies for cheap ($350 because the guy thought they were broken).

I previously had KRK Rokit 5's, and like MountainSide said, they really need a sub. I used to work for a local music shop selling all manner of gear - KRK, Adam, Genelec, Yamaha etc. I personally never "liked" the Yamaha's as they were too bright and a bit harsh, but they were more accurate than some. KRK's get my vote for the lower end price range, and Adam's for the mid to upper end.

Getting to the higher end, the main studio I had access to when I went to school had a matched set of 5 Adam S4X-V's (plus matching sub), and at $5k per speaker and a matched calibrated 5.1 setup they were utterly fantastic. The secondary studio had a 5.1 set of Genelec 1032C's that were also fantastic (2.5k per speaker), but not as accurate as the Adams. And the third studio had a monster pair of Genelecs, like 15" woofers, don't remember what model they were but they didn't sound nearly as good as the other two rooms as they were much too big for the room.

And further, the studio I worked for a couple years ago had a pair of passive Dynaudio M2's that I think above all were my favourite speaker, mostly for the absolute smoothest mids thanks to that monster dome midrange driver. They were absolute heaven.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, the NS40M's are dead flat. You are exactly right that they don't add any unnecessary color to the mix, which can be very useful in knowing that once the mix is right, it will work anywhere. It was a technique that Quincy Jones used.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,130
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182