Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have never used any online tool except OHM Studio which is closing up shop.

I see something called Bandlab and I guess there are several others.

In many modern DAW's, Studio One for example there are Arranger tracks that clearly state where parts of a song start and stop. Things like Intro, Verse, Bridge and so forth. This lets a vocalist working remotely know where everything starts and stops.

Evidently on fiverr, the vocalist and other session musicians are not allowed to communicate by phone or video conference (my first try at using them). Soundbetter has no such stupid rules. I get tired of trying to explain where I want a vocal to start and stop. Better if someone could see it visually.

All this abeverated communication is not my cup of tea. TGIF TTYL I'm not ROFL ICYMI...lol

TIA

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Why does the DAW have to be cloud based?

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Perhaps "cloud Based" is not the correct term for what I am looking for. I want a DAW setting somewhere where anyone can get to it. I want three or four people to be able to log into the same DAW at the same time and see what is going on. They should be able to add tracks if given permission in near real time. There should be some sort of chat box or video that would allow for communication.

OHM Studio was the only thing I ever saw that could do that. After several years it has gone away. I assume at this point there is nothing out there to replace it.

Billy

After I posted this I tried a couple of people on fiverr. They were cheaper than soundbetter but you get what you pay for I guess.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't know which one is best, but if I had to venture a guess it would be Cakewalk by BandLab.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
When I've collaborated online with other people with audio tracks, I tend to use Google Drive. Some folks also use Drop Box or other online storage sites to share files. I've not really used cloud storage options in a DAW because not everyone you work with will have that DAW. I will either post .WAV or .MP3 files (of individual tracks or the whole mix) to Google Drive from my DAW as most folks can play those.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
When I've collaborated online with other people with audio tracks, I tend to use Google Drive. Some folks also use Drop Box or other online storage sites to share files. I've not really used cloud storage options in a DAW because not everyone you work with will have that DAW. I will either post .WAV or .MP3 files (of individual tracks or the whole mix) to Google Drive from my DAW as most folks can play those.

Hi Steve,

I also use Dropbox a lot. One person I collaborate with uses Reaper so I have that DAW also.

But none of this is what I am talking about. The DAW situation I am looking for exist on a server somewhere. I don't own it, the other people who are collaborating with me don't own it. Anyone needing to see and hear what I put in the DAW can log on and see and use the DAW with downloading anything.

It's sort of like youtube, hey Steve go look at XYZ on youtube only it is a fully functioning DAW. Several people can be working in the DAW at the same time in near real time. There is a chat box to communicate in real time.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Billy,

Is this what you are looking for?

https://blog.landr.com/best-online-daw/

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hi Billy,

Is this what you are looking for?

https://blog.landr.com/best-online-daw/

Thanks Mario...I took a quick look and now I need to study the possibilities. I may have logged on to BandLab in the past...don't remember.
The blog said "Like Soundtrap, Bandlab offers collaboration tools such as video conferencing, and messaging."

I will go check it out.

Thanks

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
From a networking point of view, I can't see ANY way that you can collaborate in real time like your original post suggested. You will always have lag. I don't know why this topic seems to become advanced calculus. Make your tracks, send them any way you like, let them make their tracks and send them back. This must go on a million times every day given the number of home recorders there are. Dropbox, wetransfer, transfernow... there are so many free FTP options. Send the file, when the other end gets it do a Zoom meeting, let the other side play along on the Zoom call for your approval, then they can record the track and send it back. Network lag is what it is. When you do a Zoom call, you see you in real time. They see you a second or more later.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Eddie,

I am aware of the speed of light...lol And yes, there is currently no way to collaborate in real time over the internet at long distances. You can, and thousands of people do collaborate in "near real time" across the world over the internet. Can you play in sink? No, It requires both parties being connected to the same DAW and communicating over video.

The delay of a audio signal over the internet is distance dependent. About 16 milliseconds at 3000 miles plus whatever network latency exist.

Actually, I never said "real time". This is what I posted. "They should be able to add tracks if given permission in near real time. There should be some sort of chat box or video that would allow for communication."

In any event I think Bandlab may do what I want as it says it can link to Zoom...doing a test at the moment.

Here is a blog that describes some but not all of the issues around remote internet collaboration. https://www.musictech.net/guides/essential-guide/getting-set-up-for-remote-collaboration/

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Also look into Team Viewer. I use that a lot for many things when I need to control someone's computer and screen share.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yep, I have that on all my computers for any number of reasons. It is excellent for showing someone how to do something or doing it for them. Can you imagine how to tell someone in writing how to make multiple complex registry changes and how to recover if they make a mistake?

I don't know why we don't use Team Viewer more often.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Absolutely. I have it on every computer as well. Used it last night in fact!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
+1 on Team Viewer. Use for IT support for the wife if I'm in the office.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
In any event I think Bandlab may do what I want as it says it can link to Zoom...doing a test at the moment.

Interesting, I didn't know Bandlab could link to Zoom, very cool!

I work here
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
If what you're trying to do is jam/practice/create remotely, I would suggest taking a look at JamKazam. Latencies are currently pretty low, but they've been working on some new software tech that will reduce those low latencies (over internet) even further. The devs are some pretty bright guys.

https://www.jamkazam.com/

P.S. It's free to use!

Last edited by TheMaartian; 10/21/20 01:23 PM.

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 5; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I first of all wanted a DAW that anyone could be directed too. It would need to be free and not require a lot of work to get too. I wanted this to be able to communicate easily with a vocalist or other musician so they would understand in detail what I wanted them to do.

Secondly I wanted a replacement for OHM Studio which is closing. Ohm Studio did not actually fill the above requirements but provided a near real time software to collaborate on. There was a very active community using that site. It had its own issues.

I did some testing with Bandlab today and it looked usable. There was a large amount of latency which there was a system to correct that did not work very well for me. I tried to sing into the software which was doable but pretty difficult. Loading .wav files into tracks was very easy. Loading lyrics into the box designed for notes worked very well. I don't think I would ever be creating anything in Bandlab but it is a place to store stuff that anyone can get too. Bandlab is a totally cloud based software. It would be ever so cool if they were able to use the cakewalk software that they now own.

I am going to go try jamkazam as you suggested to see how it works.

I really need someone to help experiment with me to see the full functionality of a couple of these software programs.

Here is a link to a test BIAB song and lyrics I put up on Bandlab. There are several functions I have not tried yet like the link to Zoom.
https://www.bandlab.com/revisions/33a35fcd-de13-eb11-96f5-501ac5b31de6?sharedKey=hAwrQn9ZekaVv5bmq70T6w

Anyone who would like to do this can PM me.

Thanks,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
... I didn't know Bandlab could link to Zoom ...
What does this mean, please?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Same question. How does it “link”? You connect in Zoom and screen share like any other program. We could play chess over Zoom too if we screen share and do a collaborative remote use of the program. Bandlab is just a DAW like any other DAW, thus just another piece of software running on the host computer and shared by the remote computer. Please elaborate on what you exactly mean by link.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Hi Matt,

I have not found anyone to do this experiment with yet. So I have not actually tried to use this ability of Bandlab to link to Zoom.

I assume it means that within the Bandlab program itself a video connection with someone you are working with is possible while continuing to use the DAW.

There are three types of "chat boxes" that I am aware of. Written, the most common, audio, and audio with video.

The way I have used video in the past is with Skype on one computer or cell phone and tracking done on a remote DAW between me and a drummer in Brisbane Au for example.

The whatsapp program, which is free and allows VOIP telephone to most any place in the world also has a video ability something like face time for Apple smartphones. Everyone I know who has friends in other countries uses whatsapp.

I am willing to explore any of these technologies with you or anyone else who would like to give it a try.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 10/21/20 04:14 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,689
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200