Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
No work tantrum this time - just a Friday evening and a song that I've just put together whilst the other one "rests" in my mind ... hope you enjoy and, as always, thank you for listening and for any comments!

https://soundcloud.com/jamesdelsono/the-greatest-sonnet-ever-written

THE GREATEST SONNET EVER WRITTEN

[lyrics by William Shakespeare (from "Romeo and Juliet", of course), adapted by me]

If I profane with my unworthiest hand
This holy shrine, the gentle pain is this:
My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand
To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.

You tell me I do wrong my hand too much,
Which mannerly devotion shows in this,
For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch,
And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss.

Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?
And if they are lips that they must use in prayer,
O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do.
They pray; grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.

And if saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake,
Then move not, while my prayer’s effect I take.

Voice recorded and mixed in Audacity

****** Song Summary *************
Title: The Greatest Sonnet Ever Written - 9 October 2020
File:The Greatest Poem Ever Written - 9 October 2020.SGU
Key=A , Tempo 60, Length (m:s)=4:56
No intro. 70 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 70. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,
Style is _ZAFFRE.STY (Zaffre Blue 12-8 Jazz Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 533:Bass, Electric, 12-8 Crystal Sw 065
RealTracks in style: ~743:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Sw 060 (A:simple)
RealTracks in style: ~937:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm JazzBalladFreddie Sw 060
RealTracks in style: ~1039:Organ, B3, Rhythm JazzBallad Sw 060
RealDrums [in style:Pop128^4-a:Sidestick Brushes , b:SideStick, HiHat

User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
This has got to be one of the of the most creative and unique readings of a work by William Shakespeare I've ever listened to, which is saying a lot (for me, at least), because I have not ever been able to appreciate the man's literary output by reading any of it. It's just that I find the language too archaic, practically impenetrable, though I've much enjoyed watching films of his plays simply because of the acting talent and production values exhibited on the big screen.

What makes your production so interesting is the musical style you selected, which sounded like a gospel/blues creation. Imagine that! Shakespeare recited from the pulpit of a house of joyful worship, with the soulful minister delivering the bard's sonnet with the feel and rhythm of a old-time spiritual. If you've ever attended a Black church service, you may know what I mean. A-men and hallelujah, brothers and sisters! Shakespeare's seen the light.

I think you just revealed to me how I could get deeper into Shakespeare's genius through the transforming power of music! smile

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ardent: thank you so much for your very, very thoughtful comments!

As far as the archaic language is concerned, I would genuinely recommend that you find one of those modern language "translations" of Shakespeare if that's the barrier you have to reading his works. If not, some can be found online - there are many to be found indeed!

I think you picked up of one of my intentions so well: the capability of Shakespeare to be seen as worship text. I believe that every love song has a sacred, worship-like quality to it ... especially if, like me right now, one is single but writing love songs anyway ... one has to imagine an imaginary lover to write them to - and, from there, the worship element is not far away. So yes, the choice of instrumentation in that way was indeed deliberate - thanks so much for noticing! I haven't actually ever attended a black church service, but I have seen many on YouTube, so I think I know what you mean! Shakespeare's text itself, also, has so many worship-linked words: "sin ... saint ... prayer ...", etc., and he directly compares love, kissing, etc., to holy acts of prayer and worship. So ... yes, definitely! - thanks for noticing this!

Again, thank you so much for your kind words. PLEASE try a modern edition of Shakespeare, in this case ... it will really, really, really change your life, I feel - it has immensely changed mine. THANKS again!!! :-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
James,

I applaud your effort here. A clever idea to put a Shakespeare sonnet to music.

I have to say, in this case, the end result was much too "plodding" for me.
It took too long for a thought to be completed. My ear did not stay engage.
Good that others like it. And if you like it that is all that matters, of course.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
FJ, thank you for your honest review. I'd hate to receive anything other than honest thoughts, so thanks!

That bothered me too - the fact that the words were spread out over such long "distances", musically speaking ... so many bars. I was hoping it wouldn't "plod", but if it bothered you, then it does warrant - at the very least! - a proper re-listen and a serious thinking session on what I could do about it. I was thinking of doing everything half-speed (twice as fast) - I'll see. But thanks for pointing this out, it worried me too.

Cheers! :-)

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
William Shakespeare!........I think I've heard of him smile
Sweet composition.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Great idea! I have thoughts on both ends of the spectrum. Positively, I think it slows down the Bard's words so that our modern ears can digest them more easily. On the other hand, I agree with Floyd--maybe another music approach might reduce the "plodding" character of it.

Question: Are you playing any of this, or is it 100% coming out of BIAB? I ask because some of those nice, choppy piano chords are really attractive--I wonder if you created them or simply "found" them in the RT arrangement.

Good contribution!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks CaptainMoto, thank you Tano Music!

I've written all the chords in BIAB myself (and have disabled "Natural Arrangement", so that BIAB plays exactly the chords I wrote and nothing else), but the playing is very much all of it BIAB :-)

I used to be able to dabble in piano playing a while back, but I injured a finger on my right hand which has kinda stopped that for a while. Hope I can go back to it later, if time heals it more!

Thanks for all your kind comments!

User Showcase
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
I really like this, and it's a very creative use of Shakespeare. It provides an extra dimension to the sonnet that I've never experienced before.

I do have to agree with Floyd Jane about the pacing. I think it would be more compelling if the words and music were more tightly coupled and denser.

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Ed! Glad you liked it!

There's usually a proverb: if many people tell you you're drunk, then go to sleep. Similarly, many have told me here about the pacing. But: I'm going to mount a defence of it anyway, haha ... on the following grounds:

In the play, when the sonnet takes place, Romeo meets Juliet whilst dancing. So, I thought I would write a jazz in 12/8 (i.e. in 4 units of 3), so as to simulate such a dance. The music is supposed to run in the background, as it were, whilst he dances with her and whispers these words in her ear. If the lyrics and the music went any faster, I fear the "seduction spell" may be broken. I'm not interested in whether the listener actually follows the words here ... I AM interested in "casting an (unbroken) spell". The dance is what matters, not the words - for me at least, here.

So ... I think I'll keep it like this for now, all in all ... and PLEASE feel free to throw virtual tomatoes at me! haha :-) I just fear that speeding it up may ruin the spell, the atmosphere described above, even if the words may become more intelligible and the ear of the listener more engaged. BUT: having said this, again, PLEASE feel free to tell me I'm wrong and what I could do to make things work anyway! I wish I could find a solution that would work in every aspect, so - if you feel you have one, please tell me :-) At the moment, though, I can't think of anything else but to speed it up a little ... and, on its own, I'm not sure it's the right solution. I may be wrong :-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great idea and a cool collaboration. This William guy ... you meet him on the net?

I (Bud) have read a ton of English history and lit but have never taken the dive into Shakespeare.

Thanks for enabling me to read/listen to my first sonnet!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Janice and Bud! Glad you enjoyed my little effort. I always thought that Shakespeare is actually incredibly accessible - and he has a bit of everything. You want romance? It's there. You want bawdy "pub" jokes? He has them. You want action, tragedy, magic, etc. etc.? Bingo. So, in short, if you feel like it - do take the dive, he's not as "up there, inaccessible" as people make him out to be - in my humble opinion, of course. In any case, thanks again for such kind comments!

P.S. this particular sonnet is, of course, from when Romeo first meets Juliet ... so I always call it "the greatest chat up line of all time" ... wish I could write and chat up a lady half as smoothly as he does, haha ... :-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice take on Bill Wigglestick's words.
You've done a good recording of your voice. It's likely you were a little too close to the mic but the artefacts aren't bad at all.
I think I'd have liked this even more without the drums.
Nice that it was a waltz at a stately tempo.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi James,

I'm getting more and more impressed by the creative angle you choose to make your songs!
In this particular song it is a poem of Shakespeare that is the key for the song. Very original!
And I am getting more used to the way you 'sing' in it. This is becomming your personal style. I would recognize it immediately if I heard it unannounced! Not everyone can say that when their (my) songs are played, I bet.

But, I have told you that before and Floyd and others did here too, the words come out too slow. There is a danger that people will lose their attention. Is more intonation possible? Like when reciting poems?
All together I think you did a very good and original job!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi James.

I sincerely love this concept. It is innovative and creative!!!!! The idea of using Shakespeare to create songs is truly inspired thinking! He's written so many wonderful and colourful words that some outstanding lyrics could result. I'm so thankful that you showed me how to do this. Once again you have seriously impressed me.

I was captivated by the journey you took me on.

I'm passing the following on in case it's useful information. I hope that I am not being too critical. The last thing I want to do is to overstep my boundaries.

As I was travelling along with you, I found myself wondering how this would sound if the words were spoken at the speed of normal conversation. What is not clear in these words is that they are a conversation between Romeo and Juliet. At this point in the play, "Love at first sight" is sparkling new for the two of them and, because of this, I hear these words being spoken with a sense of excitement, anticipation and playfulness. And as with playful conversation, the language exchange is lighthearted and spritely paced.

As I'm sitting here pondering, at the moment, I have no idea how to capture the essence of all that using a BIAB backing. None at all. I sincerely admire you for setting out on a journey that is so complex and so challenging, though. Good on you!

You've inspired me to see if I can create something cinematic using BIAB and some Shakespeare. He's a favourite of mine and I've studied a number of his works (including Romeo And Juliet). One thing that I've found is that it's not until one hears experienced actors performing Shakespeare that one truly understands what Shakespeare is saying.

It's 2:43 a.m. here in Melbourne right now and I'm really excited after listening to this. Thank you for opening my eyes. I dare not open BIAB now because I won't get any sleep tonight if I do.

Thank you again!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ray: "Bill Wigglestick" ... I like that, haha. Thanks for your very kind comments!

Hans: Thanks! Yes, I think that variation in intonation without changing the tempo might be a good way of going about this. I'm rather fond of this slow tempo, but maybe I can clump words together instead, or - as you suggest - change intonation? I'll experiment! :-)

Noel: wow. As always, wonderful comments from you. Thank you. Don't worry ... there are no boundaries for me as far as music chat is concerned ... we all have to be honest with each other if we want to improve, etc., no? So no worries there! Yes, I 100% agree with you ... at normal speed, the words would have to be much more playful, light, etc. ... and yes, it's a big ask! It's just that I wanted to take the sonnet in a different direction. You're right, it IS (originally) a conversation between Romeo and Juliet, but, since it's just me on this recording, I wanted to make it more of a monologue, a prayer if you like, from the speaker to the mystical "Eternal Beloved" (or someone like that) who is, however, absent here since it's now a monologue. Anyway, for that I felt that the tempo had to come down and, since it had to be a prayer-like monologue now, it could be more stately (as Ray says) and solemn. But that's just me messing about with Shakespeare's original intent! If I had two voices and was using the original text fully, it would of course be a totally different matter! Hmmm ... I hope I've somehow succeeded in my intentions, though, because - if it's still too slow and plodding - that's no good, haha. But I rather like this tempo ... maybe I should change my delivery of the words instead or something (put more words together, then longer breaks, then more words together, etc. - as opposed to the evenly spaced delivery I've got now?)? Again, I will experiment! THANK YOU for such kind words!!!

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Interesting idea James.......BIAB and Shakespeare!! Who knows, maybe I'll finally become literate thanks to you and PG Music!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Greg!

On listening to it again ... it DOES plod, doesn't it? Maybe I can enrich the harmonies a little, too ... it's ok for a while, but without much harmonic variation until it modulates into B flat, the second verse (etc.) can sound a little boring and accentuate the plodding. Hmmmm ... SOMETHING needs to be done :-)

Thanks everyone again!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, your idea caught my interest, being a big Shakespeare fan (though no scholar). I think in the end, I would have liked to hear you speak in iambic pentameter as an actor would and try to find music that would fit the spoken words, if possible. (It would speed things up.) I give you a lot of credit for a valiant effort. Hope you try some more Shakespeare. He has actual songs, you might give one a try.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
I always admire anyone who uses poetry in the public domain and sets it to music. I have done a couple myself, although I did change the lyrics so that it would fit my melodies. Paul Simon did that with his song Richard Corey which was originally written by Edwin Arlington Robinson.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,034
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186