Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi all,

This should be a interesting test. I put a general request out on fiverr. Three people have responded so far. One came back and said they would do the work for $30, another for $50, another for $220.

I gave them all the same instructions. I stated a budget of $200.
There seems to be a very wide range of asking price on fiverr's site. Some of that may have to do with what country the people live in and the availability of work.

As the total cost of this experiment is less than a high quality Nashville session vocalist would charge, it will be interesting to see the results.

Any feedback on your experience with the cost on fiverr?

Cheers,

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 10/14/20 11:55 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Billy,

One other part of the cost equation maybe experience level as a professional vocalist.

A person might have a wonderful voice but little experience singing for pay. So they have no idea what to charge.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Billy,

One other part of the cost equation maybe experience level as a professional vocalist.

A person might have a wonderful voice but little experience singing for pay. So they have no idea what to charge.

Yes Jim, I also think experience level could very well have a bearing on the cost. Like any service, it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it on a given day. Also how badly the seller needs money at a given moment. Put Covid-19 in the mix and it is anyone's guess. Many people, especially musicians are having a hard time finding work.

I get the impression that many of these people offering vocal services are not really professional session musicians. That does not mean they can not sing well. I think it does mean that the ability to communicate ideas to them may be more difficult. It is difficult enough when you are standing side by side with the vocalist.

Any live studio I have been in has a very good idea of what their vocalist can and can not do. It is not easy to become a professional session vocalist.

All of those I have worked with over the internet from fiverr or soundbetter have given time to completion dates. They only sometimes keep those commitments.

We will see how this goes.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Thirty sounds to me like an introductory price for new Fiverr, though he/she may just be wanting to undercut. If he/she is successful and getting good gigs, I'd expect that price to rise. Two-Twenty sounds like it's probably a "Pro Certified" Fiverr account. I'm not sure how that is achieved--perhaps by reaching a certain level, or perhaps by demonstrating credible bona fides as a music industry professional, or maybe some other means.

In my looking 80-100 dollars for a vocalist for a full song seems about middle. Shorter vocals seem to hit about 20-30 USD a minute as a median.

If I had a good overall experience, I tipped well. My (Italian) sax player delivered three times more material than I requested and followed my instructions extremely well, short of my providing him charts. I almost doubled his asking price in a tip.

Geography likely plays a role. What I paid the flute team would be some padding on a week's pay for a low-end American worker--maybe a bit extra for the month. To a pair of Sri Lankans, it more nearly approached BEING a week's pay. Plus Tip. And happy to do it.

I'd be interested in your results. On the other hand, a vocal is a very subjective experience. Your 30's overall performance may be 7 and 1/3 times "better" than your 220.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Tangmo,
We will see in a bit what the $220 guy does. He just sent me the .wav while we were writing this.

Be back in a while.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here is the dry vocal and song with little mixing. The vocal is OK. It may not be in the right key for this guy. I will have to sleep on this.

https://soundcloud.com/planobilly/darling-final-v1

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Here is the dry vocal and song with little mixing. The vocal is OK. It may not be in the right key for this guy. I will have to sleep on this.

https://soundcloud.com/planobilly/darling-final-v1

Cheers,

Billy

I kinda like this guys voice. Clear as a bell with lots of slippin and slidin into the notes including a sweet falsetto. But I can see your dilemma. If you want to hear more you have to pay... But that is called investing in the song.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I listen to this a dozen times or so. There is nothing wrong with his vocal. Like it, don't like it, that is all subjective.

There are some technical issues with his singing but this was never intended to be some highly polished technically correct production.

It was to be played live with who ever the vocalist in the band happened to be at any given time.

As I have gone back and listened to this I think I want to simplify the song and take the piano out. Drums, bass, two guitars, organ, and the vocal.

The really good thing about BIAB is I now have a much better idea if I like the song well enough to spend the time and money to get it recorded just how I want it.

I don't have the skills to play the lead guitar the way I hear it in my head.

As far as getting a vocalist from fiverr, so far there have been no surprises.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree, the song is worth investing in. smile

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
When the girl comes back with her take on this song I will post both versions. The song is or can be pretty gender neutral.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I hear this song needing a raspier kind of voice, like Gregg Allman's cover of "Need Your Love So Bad". And in fact, this song is almost exactly the chord progression as that one. This guy's voice is nice though, and it would do. Thing that matters most? Also consider the end game here. IS this going to make it on to someone's CDs so you earn your money back? This can be an investment or an expense. I am REALLY interested to see how this plays out.

Do YOU like it?

It's your song, your vision, and nobody can hear the music as you hear it in your head.

To be honest, I can hear THAT guy doing some of MY songs! LOL!!!

Last edited by eddie1261; 10/11/20 09:38 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Eddie,

Very strange thing about "THAT guy". The first thing he said before he had any idea of what I wanted, he said you can not use my name on any of this. I have no idea why. I really don't care as it is none of my business. He is not someone famous as far as I can tell.

Do I like it? No not yet, but not because of the vocal.

Women around me say this makes them want to cry. Poor guy...his girl has gone away, so sad! Well...I have no control over what other people feel, think or do. Any song that evokes strong emotion has something going for it.

I could care less what the song cost. I have little interest in money and even less interest in anyone knowing who I am. I don't want to sign autographs at the restaurant. I don't want people knocking over chairs to get to me to take a photo when I walk into BB Kings place in LA. Due to health issues, I am unable to actually play guitar any longer to even suit myself.

All of this is just fun stuff, much better than drinking gin and setting around watching TV. I am just sitting here waiting to see who dies first, me or Covid-19. I miss my boat, my friends, and the open ocean.

Anything is possible, but I am far from being the one to write the next hit song.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Women around me say this makes them want to cry. Poor guy...his girl has gone away, so sad! Well...I have no control over what other people feel, think or do. Any song that evokes strong emotion has something going for it.

That response is what I shoot for with every song I write. When you can touch that emotion with your lyrics, you have arrived. Very hard to touch both cerebral and visceral.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Sounds again like your 220 is a Certified Pro account. Either he's ashamed of the gig (unlikely) or he has some level of reputation that he doesn't want associated with Fivver. Who could blame him? "Dude, you did it for Billy for 220...why should I pay you 500* for the same thing?"

I'm with you on the "investment". I will NEVER EVER EVER recoup all the money I've spent on this hobby. I'm not even trying. The "investment" is in the song and in my enjoyment of the process and the results. I am far too large a chunk of my "audience" to ignore.

*500 is just a wild guess. I ain't never done a'did it, so I have no idea at all what a pro singer earns for cutting a demo. Some of you might.

Last edited by Tangmo; 10/11/20 06:23 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Tangmo,

I assume there could be many reasons for someone to withhold their name. Tax issues, legal contract issues with labels. Divorce issues...lol

I don't have any real experience with any of this internet "gig" work.

I read that $350 is sort of a "normal" price for a Nashville session vocalist. I have also been told that the price is higher in both LA and New York.

As far as drummers, guitar players, bass, and keyboard, it looks like somewhere $100 to $200 is the going rate. Who knows what it would cost to get a French Horn player. Matt may have some idea about that.

I have read on the internet that to make a demo in Nashville with a professional studio should cost somewhere in the ballpark of $500 to $1000. Cost sometimes exceed $1000, but not by very much.

Fiverr categorizes their sellers as Top Rated, Level 1, Level 2 and recommended. Top Rated are not always the most expensive.

There are dozens of singers advertising to do short clips for $10 to $20 dollars. I have had offers from pros to do a short clip of my material for free to see if I liked them.

At the end of the day, I assume one would need to spend some amount of money just to figure all this out.

What someone would charge may very well depend on how much they have spent on acquiring the skills they have. Getting a degree from Berklee School Of Music nowadays is somewhere around $200,000 dollars. That would take more than 1000 gigs at $300 to even come close to breaking even.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here is pricing from one of the better studios in Nashville.

http://www.beairdmusicgroup.com/prices

Premier Demo - One Song – $650 (The 'Demo' is intended for pitching/promotion)

Premier Master - One Song - $795 (The 'Master' includes signed work-for-hire forms and allows for unlimited sales). Vocalists also charge more if you will be using one of our singers and need them to sign work-for-hire forms. Clients may not use the name or likeness of performers who sign work for hire forms.

Their vocalists pricing is generally $100-$175.
Though I'm not sure you can get just a vocal (if you do not use their demo service).

These vocalists are the best in the business.
Many of them have been doing Nashville demo work since the 90's
I have demos that some these people sang on (in the 90's).
(One of them came to my house once to do some background vocals for a friend.)
They do their homework.
Many will nail the first take.

http://www.beairdmusicgroup.com/female-vocalist-samples

http://www.beairdmusicgroup.com/male-vocalist-samples

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I like the guy you have singing... Sounds like one of the smooth soul singers of the 60's and 70's. There's no issue with the key of the song for him. He sounds very comfortable in that key and range.

Regarding the link Floyd sent.... some of those Nashville studio cats today will be the Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwoods of the future. In fact, both of those and more, were singing on demos waiting on their chance at stardom.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here is the Thirty dollar deal just like it came to me.

This girl is from Argentina so I don't know how well she understands English. Well enough to sing the song but perhaps not well enough to change a few words to make it gender appropriate.

Well, this has been a fun experiment. One of the three people decided to back out of the deal. Said he was not feeling well.

I need to listen to this a few times to decide if I want to go to the trouble of coaching this vocalist to fix everything. She is willing but I would never make someone go through all that for thirty dollars...lol If I decide to get her to go further into this I will pay her.

Fun stuff. https://soundcloud.com/planobilly/darling-final-girl-v1

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 10/14/20 12:12 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dude's voice fit the song better. It just feels like it is a better fit for his range than hers. And she has some pitch issues. She brought to mind how every bad girl singer overemotes on "At Last" in an effort to sound torchy.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes, Eddie, a ton of issues. Actually after a couple of times through this, I don't think she has the ability to fix this. There were some way off pitch issues and phrasing issues. The answers to that only come with training and experience.

This was worth the cost for me to see how I would feel about a female vocalist doing this in general.

This sort of thing would be much less trouble to do over the internet making use of video conferencing. I have no idea why people are so opposed to working like that.

A fun experiment.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Duet ?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Duet ?

Nah. She just doesn't have the pitch control for this range, and if she brings it down an octave for better pitch she won't be able to hit the lower register notes.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200