Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi everyone,

I had in mind to post a Dutch song I finished yesterday, but probably because I heard it about a million times, I decided to post this song instead: https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/abandoned-places
I made this in september.

It is a song about a lost love, the memories are the abandoned places.
I once got a book from my son with this title, but it was about real buildings everywhere in the world that are abandoned for some reason. I liked that title immediately for a song. Well, here it is!

I used melodyne specific on the harmonies. It are all my voices. I'm experimenting to create better and more natural sounding harmonies. Don't hesitate to tell me what you think of it. I like to tearn. But stay kind...

Hope you like it,
Hans

Instruments
Style:_LAKEFOG.STY (Lake Fog 4x4 Newgrass with strings)

RealTracks in song: 1418 :Bas, Elec, Southern Rock Gel16 85
RealTracks in style: 2825:Piano, Acous, Country Pop Mike Gel 85
RealTracks in style: 378 :Guitar, Acousestisch, Double Time Gel 88
RealTracks in style: 2335:Strings Quartet, Gel 85
RealTracks in song: 2338 :Violin, Pop Low Gel 85
RealDrums [in Style :PopAmericanEv^1-a:SdStkHB, b:SNHB

Lyrics
Abandoned places
(c) HWBerkhout juli2017/ 2020

VerseThere was a moment I can't recall
Somebody told me I soon will fall
And in the daylight I saw it more clear
It was worse then I'd feared

VerseStill could not get it in my mind
I never faced things of this kind
Oh listen, please hear
I wish you stayed here

Chorus
Now all I see are abandoned places
I never knew that they still exist
And these were all abandoned places
that I have seen but never missed, oh no

Verse
Where to rely on, where am I ?
Maybe there is no why
And though it's dark now, I can see a light
Some distance away, but still in sight

Verse
And I put my faith in that
It does relieve my head
Oh, give me a call, please come near
I wish you stayed here

Chorus
Now, all I see are abandoned places
I never knew that they were all mine
And they all have familiar faces
I haven't seen them for a long, long time
+
Abandoned places, everywhere
Abandoned places are still there
All I see are abandoned places
I always thought that they were away, but they stay

Verse
In the nighttime, in my bed
I keep on thinking what you once said
You whispered in my ear
I wish you stayed here

Chorus
Now all I see are abandoned places
They stay forever which I did not know
And I remember all their faces
I'd seen them all a long time ago, oh no
+
Oh I see all these abandoned places'
They stayed forever which I did not know
And I fear that they can't be banished
They stay here and they won't go
And once they were all beautiful
But time made them fall apart
like my heart

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, I saw you had posted a new one yesterday but didn't have time to listen. Went looking for it today and it was halfway down page 2! The forum is a strange place these days.

Good song Hans!

When you said you used melodyne on the harmonies, do you mean you created them using melodyne? If so that's pretty cool, didn't know you could do that. I think they sound good. If it was my song I would probably put the harmonies into the background a little more, reduce the volume a bit or maybe just a bit more reverb, so that the lead vocals stands out more. But! It's not my song, it's your song smile

Enjoyed the listen.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

A beautiful, melancholy song.

Good arrangement/production. And a good mix.
The drums and bass have good punch.
The strings are a nice addition.

Your vocals sound good.
The harmonies are impressive. What version of Melodyne are you using?
It is surprising how few artifacts there are in the harmony - that is hard to accomplish for a high harmony like this. Well done!!

I agree with Dave - bringing the harmony level down a little and adding a touch more reverb (and perhaps a bit of delay) would be worth a try.

One of your best.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
One of our favs Hans.

Janice's first comment was "John Lennon!"

Your impassioned vocal with all of the dynamics is outstanding.

The harmonies sound good too.

The band is excellent -- the violin, strings and drums are very nice.

Glad you read that book title because it resulted in an excellent write!

Well done indeed.

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice song.
I like the arrangement and your vocals.

About harmonies:
I'm with the others who commented.
They sound pretty good.
I also have the same question about what version of Melodyne you are using.

I have not had success trying that with my basic verion.

In any case...........well done!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Hans ...

This is my favorite of your songs I've heard. Everything about this is excellent. Your vocal is really good. As far as the background vocal harmony, I would slightly cut the higher EQ and add a little reverb.

That is a very enjoyable song .. loved the arrangement! best to you. Be safe!

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is a terrific effort complete with your very personal phrasing and perspective.
There're a few English syntax/grammar bits that could use tweaking but I'd be more than happy to do such a generally grand job in a 2nd language.
Ace.

Last edited by rayc; 10/12/20 10:28 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man, I saw you had posted a new one yesterday but didn't have time to listen. Went looking for it today and it was halfway down page 2! The forum is a strange place these days.

Good song Hans!
When you said you used melodyne on the harmonies, do you mean you created them using melodyne? If so that's pretty cool, didn't know you could do that. I think they sound good. If it was my song I would probably put the harmonies into the background a little more, reduce the volume a bit or maybe just a bit more reverb, so that the lead vocals stands out more. But! It's not my song, it's your song smile
Enjoyed the listen.

Hi Dave, whatever criticisms you have, I take them very seriously. That's why the harmony moved more to the background and added more reverb. The idea was to punt the 'woman'vocals next to mine, but in the chorusses that didn't work out so nice. And normally i drown all vocals in a reverb, so a request to add more of it was some kind of a shock ;-).

And yes, I created the harmony-vocals from the leadtrack. You have to do a lot of adjustments, especially the 'woman-vocals'. But if you have Chris at your side you don't need this grin
I can send you a screenshot by email? I don't see a posibility to add one in this post.

Thanks for your comment and compliments,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans,
A beautiful, melancholy song.
Good arrangement/production. And a good mix.
The drums and bass have good punch.
The strings are a nice addition.

Your vocals sound good.
The harmonies are impressive. What version of Melodyne are you using?
It is surprising how few artifacts there are in the harmony - that is hard to accomplish for a high harmony like this. Well done!!

I agree with Dave - bringing the harmony level down a little and adding a touch more reverb (and perhaps a bit of delay) would be worth a try.

One of your best.
fj

Hi Floyd, thanks for your nice words! They made my week ;-)
I use Melodyne 5 studio Version 5.0.2. I had a free version at first, but for making harmonies it wasn't the good version. Then I got an offer for this version. Not too expensive, although my wife thinks otherwise...
Melodyne is not an easy piece of software. I spend a lot of hours learning it and sometimes had to things all over again. That even happend in this song. But the moment you get a grip on how it works, things get better. Even sibilance issues are more easy to handle (and you know my problem on that). But still I don't know all the posibilities. I hardly do voice corrections, like the tuning in the exact key. I takes away my way of singing. It is more for the harmonies and sibilance. A DS-er makes a whole track 'flatter' on the s-es, while in this program only the bad s-es will be handled. But for harmonies (and much more) I advise to buy the version I have.

I hoped I could add an image in this post, but that is not the case. I have to send that by email I think. Let me know.

Have a nice day,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
One of our favs Hans.
Janice's first comment was "John Lennon!"
Your impassioned vocal with all of the dynamics is outstanding.
The harmonies sound good too.
The band is excellent -- the violin, strings and drums are very nice.
Glad you read that book title because it resulted in an excellent write!

Well done indeed.
J&B

Wow J&B, that is very nice to read! I told my wife John Lennon is reincarnated now.
She wasn't impressed that much. She wants to know what Janice's second comment was.
Dutch girls are like that...

And I had a good feeling that probably lasts the whole week!
I readjust the song a bit (the bg-vocals) because Dave and Floyd told me to. I am convinced it won't change one of your compliments!

Thanks a lot,
Hans

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Nice song.
I like the arrangement and your vocals.

About harmonies:
I'm with the others who commented.
They sound pretty good.
I also have the same question about what version of Melodyne you are using.

I have not had success trying that with my basic verion.
In any case...........well done!

Hi CaptainMoto, thanks so much for your nice comment!
I did what you, Dave and Floyd said. I readjust the vocalsetting. Mainly in the chorus.

And see what I wrote to Dave and Floyd about Melodyne version 5. It is hard to learn but after that you're going to be satisfied.
But it is no magic, but hard labour...

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello Hans ...
This is my favorite of your songs I've heard. Everything about this is excellent. Your vocal is really good. As far as the background vocal harmony, I would slightly cut the higher EQ and add a little reverb.
That is a very enjoyable song .. loved the arrangement! best to you. Be safe!
Alan

Hi Alan, it's nice to read such huge compliments from you. I missed that for a while from you.
I did what you asked on the background vocals; a little reverb extra and some adjustments on the eq.
It must be better now. I thought I wanted the 'female' vocal near to the lead vocal, but read your posts on this. Now I left it in the verses but lowered it in the chorusses (a bit of everything ;-)

Stay safe too, Corona is back everywhere!
Hans

quote=rayc]This is a terrific effort complete with your very personal phrasing and perspective.
There're a few English syntax/grammar bits that could use tweaking but I'd be more than happy to do such a generally grand job in a 2nd language.
Ace.[/quote]

Hi Ray, it's so nice to read your compliments on the used language. But please feel free to give me all the suggestions you have on this. You once rewrote a lyric for me. I hope I will reach the level where that won't be necessary anymore. I'm afraid that will be wishfull thinking, but still...

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Good song Hans!
Enjoyed the listen.

Hi Dave, whatever criticisms you have, I take them very seriously. That's why the harmony moved more to the background and added more reverb. The idea was to punt the 'woman'vocals next to mine, but in the chorusses that didn't work out so nice. And normally i drown all vocals in a reverb, so a request to add more of it was some kind of a shock ;-).

And yes, I created the harmony-vocals from the leadtrack. You have to do a lot of adjustments, especially the 'woman-vocals'. But if you have Chris at your side you don't need this grin
I can send you a screenshot by email? I don't see a posibility to add one in this post.

Thanks for your comment and compliments,
Hans

Hans, you can attach a file to a post by clicking on the File Manager link (see the file I just attached smile

I'll have a listen to your new mix later on this morning.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
biab.jpg (71.87 KB, 47 downloads)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Dave, didn't know that!

I tried it with the icons op top if you are writing a post

But here it comes. it is an impression on how to work in Melodyne. I think you have to twist it to the right.
The blobs are the notes from the vocals. The grey notes are from my original leadvocal track, the orange blobs from the bg-vocal (female).

Bye,
Hans

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Last edited by Birchwood; 10/13/20 02:56 AM.

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Birchwood,

Very nice melody, with well written lyrics. Your voice matches the music. I read that you used melodyn to rework harmonics and smooth out imperfections. Well done.

Best regards

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Really well done - phenomenal vocal delivery on this, as it's been said already. Loved the lyrics and how you performed them. That aside, I thought your Melodyn work was done well here. Though the mix was solid also.

Thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
Ruins are a good lead in to your melancholy internal musing; I like the lyrics, especially the verse lines.
The light rock feel of the arrangement does indeed remind me also of Lennon`s solo work... and then, of course, there`s that voice, so strong and expressive!
Very good song!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello Birchwood,
Very nice melody, with well written lyrics. Your voice matches the music. I read that you used melodyn to rework harmonics and smooth out imperfections. Well done.
Best regards

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash

Hi JJF/Dero13,

Thanks for these kind words from you!
I used Melodyne to create my backing vocals in this one. I didn't rework them, although I have created them from out of the leadvocal track, so in a way it is reworking them or reshaping them into some other vocal. Nice thing to do, but takes hours.
I'm glad you liked it,

Hans

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Really well done - phenomenal vocal delivery on this, as it's been said already. Loved the lyrics and how you performed them. That aside, I thought your Melodyn work was done well here. Though the mix was solid also.

Thanks for sharing smile

Hello Deryk, what a nice comment you wrote! That Melodyne is going to be a topic, I think. But actually I prefer real human voices. But I can't get that high anymore, so with a little help...

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Hans,
Ruins are a good lead in to your melancholy internal musing; I like the lyrics, especially the verse lines.
The light rock feel of the arrangement does indeed remind me also of Lennon`s solo work... and then, of course, there`s that voice, so strong and expressive!
Very good song!

Robert

Hi Robert, when you say you like these lyrics, I'm getting proud.
In these lyrics I didn't skip all the 'in between' words, but I had you on my mind when writing them!
Janice and Bud wrote about the 'Lennon' sound, you -in a way- too. I don't hear any of that myself, but everyone around me here now know I am the new Lennon (although they didn't recognized it either, but I think they're jealous).
Thanks for your comment on the song!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love the chord progressions on this song Hans. Super vocal and lyric. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
This song gets better throughout. As already commented on, the vocal harmonies work well and sound good. The strings were nicely done and very sweet and natural sounding. You really hit your stride at the 2:20 mark, that chorus is just irresistible.

Well done! Enjoyed my listen.

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Hans,

I, too, think that this is at least one of your best, if niot your best.

A very catchy chorus, äike always great backing track, well-sung, the harmonies are a blast (wonder how you do it, if I do this in Melodyne it sounds terrible).

The violin is mighty fine, too.

Really great !

Doeie,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
Good song. I would say one of your best "balanced" songs. Everything in the right places, listens very well. Excellent subject for a tune too! I like abandoned places. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. Several years ago I got lucky to visit abandoned resort... One of the coolest thing was a "love suite" with giant red jacuzzi tub in a form of a heart and a mirrored ceiling...which was not used in years and nature was taking over the place smile

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,034
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186