Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Excellent article! I'll second the Taylor T5 series and the Music Man Majesty.

I'd also include the Godin A6 Ultra - great neck, humbucker and piezo, body's about the size of a Tele, and it's made in North America (parts in Canada and parts in the US) for under a grand!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
denim_flame_166_1_copy.jpg (216.79 KB, 147 downloads)

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Line 6 Variax +++ Variax +++

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you don't want to spend a lot of money you might want to look at Blue Cat's Re-Guitar:

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_ReGuitar/

It does an excellent job of changing guitar tones, including electric to many different acoustics.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
If you don't want to spend a lot of money you might want to look at Blue Cat's Re-Guitar:

It does an excellent job of changing guitar tones, including electric to many different acoustics.

But if you go that route it takes away a perfectly good justification for buying another guitar. smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

This is on my someday list now that the motherboard issues have been fixed. I know a half dozen people who had one and notes just stopped playing. More accurately, STRINGS just stopped playing. I was at a show when the 2nd and 3rd strings suddenly stopped responding and the guy had to stop mid song and change guitars. They seemed to be really badly affected by humidity back then. I understand the James Tyler variant does not have that problem. I do like the concept of modeling guitars along with my Line 6 modeling amp.

All so I can play in my upstairs bedroom studio! But hey, you can't take it with you, right? I make it, I spend it. No concern in the slightest about saving money. I don't need money, I have credit. So many hoard money because "what if I have a medical emergency". Okay. I get it. I also don't have that worry with the VA standing behind me. So yeah, I'll get one soon here. Likely a white Strat body model. Love them when they work.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

This is on my someday list now that the motherboard issues have been fixed. I know a half dozen people who had one and notes just stopped playing. More accurately, STRINGS just stopped playing. I was at a show when the 2nd and 3rd strings suddenly stopped responding and the guy had to stop mid song and change guitars. They seemed to be really badly affected by humidity back then. I understand the James Tyler variant does not have that problem. I do like the concept of modeling guitars along with my Line 6 modeling amp.

All so I can play in my upstairs bedroom studio! But hey, you can't take it with you, right? I make it, I spend it. No concern in the slightest about saving money. I don't need money, I have credit. So many hoard money because "what if I have a medical emergency". Okay. I get it. I also don't have that worry with the VA standing behind me. So yeah, I'll get one soon here. Likely a white Strat body model. Love them when they work.

I still have an original model from the first run of the Variax and also have a James Tyler model. Both still work very well and have never had any issues whatsoever with either.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: etcjoe
I still have an original model from the first run of the Variax and also have a James Tyler model. Both still work very well and have never had any issues whatsoever with either.

You play a lot of outside gigs? Most of the trouble I have seen was related to humidity, and you guys have that in spades and doubled down in Florida.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker

But if you go that route it takes away a perfectly good justification for buying another guitar. smile

Not really. I have ReGuitar and I'm still buying guitars.

PS - don't tell my wife about my ReGuitar wink grin

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff

Got one of those on my list. I 100% second this motion.

Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker

Who needs justification? Guitars exist that I don't own yet, there's my justification!

I actually had an old Variax 300 come onto my workbench a couple years ago, the owner had plugged it into the wrong port on his amp with the ethernet cable. Fried the guitar irreparably, and I found out in the process that Line 6 neither sells parts nor allows users to talk about repairs on their forums, so we were unable to get it fixed.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
I actually had an old Variax 300 come onto my workbench a couple years ago, the owner had plugged it into the wrong port on his amp with the ethernet cable. Fried the guitar irreparably, and I found out in the process that Line 6 neither sells parts nor allows users to talk about repairs on their forums, so we were unable to get it fixed.

Can you elaborate as to what he plugged where and how current got to where it wasn't supposed to be to fry things? All I know about these is that a CAT 5 runs to a pedalboard that has a display that shows what model is selected and that the analog audio runs from the guitar to an amp. The only amp I even know has a CAT5 are Line 6's amps and that CAT5 runs to the shortboard. I want to learn things from people who have touched these beyond the youtube videos. It is so attractive to me to be able to switch from standard tuning to dropped D or open E or open G to play slide with the twist of a knob and then back again during the same song. It just freaked me out to see my pal Billy playing and suddenly the 2nd, 3rd and 6th string stopped responding.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman

Can you elaborate as to what he plugged where and how current got to where it wasn't supposed to be to fry things? All I know about these is that a CAT 5 runs to a pedalboard that has a display that shows what model is selected and that the analog audio runs from the guitar to an amp. The only amp I even know has a CAT5 are Line 6's amps and that CAT5 runs to the shortboard. I want to learn things from people who have touched these beyond the YouTube videos. It is so attractive to me to be able to switch from standard tuning to dropped D or open E or open G to play slide with the twist of a knob and then back again during the same song. It just freaked me out to see my pal Billy playing and suddenly the 2nd, 3rd and 6th string stopped responding.

The new models have both cat 5 and regular 1/4" jacks. The cat 5 is great if you have other line 6 gear (Helix or amps etc.) as it can plug in and also be controlled by the gear. Say you have a certain setup on helix, you can also program it to change the Variax to the guitar you want and the tuning you want just by stepping on the right buttons (which you set up when you do the program). I have no idea what someone could have plugged it into that fried it though. If you don't use the cat 5 (which also provides power), it has a battery pack that is rechargeable and last plenty long enough for a several hour gig. The older model has a foot switch that provides the power using the 1/4" jack.

You mention a pedal board telling you which model etc. That is not an included item. I can only attest to using it with a Line 6 Helix which I find to be quite nice. You can also connect it to your computer and use Line 6 software to create your own models, say you want a Gretsch with the 5th and 6th strings to be bass strings (as Chet Atkins did on several songs) you can program the strings down an octave and place it in one of the model's spots so you can dial that in when you need it. Pretty versatile. The acoustic models are pretty cool, I find they work best in a mix as I don't really like their naked sounds, but that is probably just me and my preference. It could be I have not figured out how best to use them (this is more likely).

Yes, parts are an issue. I have not had to deal with Line 6 support very much at all. And have no idea about their forums.

And lastly, I do not play outside very much so I have not noticed any humidity issues, although inside my house can be quite humid at times and I have not had any issues there.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
[quote/] It just freaked me out to see my pal Billy playing and suddenly the 2nd, 3rd and 6th string stopped responding. [/quote]

That would freak me out too. Like anything else in this world, nothing is perfect and electronics have a way to finding the worst time and way to fail. I have owned a lot of Line 6 gear over the years and so far nothing has failed me (he types as he knocks on wood!)

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff

Can you elaborate as to what he plugged where and how current got to where it wasn't supposed to be to fry things? All I know about these is that a CAT 5 runs to a pedalboard that has a display that shows what model is selected and that the analog audio runs from the guitar to an amp. The only amp I even know has a CAT5 are Line 6's amps and that CAT5 runs to the shortboard. I want to learn things from people who have touched these beyond the youtube videos. It is so attractive to me to be able to switch from standard tuning to dropped D or open E or open G to play slide with the twist of a knob and then back again during the same song. It just freaked me out to see my pal Billy playing and suddenly the 2nd, 3rd and 6th string stopped responding.

As far as I know, it was the other RJ45 connector on the amp, the one that was meant for the floorboard. The pinout on them is vastly different, as is the voltages present on each pin, enough so that it fried the guitar.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As far as I know, it was the other RJ45 connector on the amp, the one that was meant for the floorboard. The pinout on them is vastly different, as is the voltages present on each pin, enough so that it fried the guitar.

Oh wow. I think that is right under Ohm's Law in the electronics textbooks, formally known as The Moron Equation. WHO would just randomly start plugging things in just because they fit like that???

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Oh wow. I think that is right under Ohm's Law in the electronics textbooks, formally known as The Moron Equation. WHO would just randomly start plugging things in just because they fit like that???

I think the real question is why would a manufacturer have the same type of ports for two different things when one would cause that kind of damage?

Also that is what can happen when you don't RTFM!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think the real question is why would a manufacturer have the same type of ports for two different things when one would cause that kind of damage?

Also begs the question "Why isn't it the same wire in all RJ45 cable ends the wire that carries +vdc?"

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I have a bunch of Line 6 stuff and it is all labeled quite nicely and I always, always, always make sure I am connecting stuff to the right place on anything I am connecting to anything else. But accidents happens.

I agree with Eddie, probably should be a standard associated with which wire carries what. So then even if you screw up you don't brick you stuff.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Eddie, probably should be a standard associated with which wire carries what. So then even if you screw up you don't brick you stuff.

Ah yes. "Brick". After doing that to a couple of iPhones trying to Jailbreak them, I am intimately familiar with the term.

As far as what Simon Says (see what I did there?) I would love to know WHAT the guy plugged into where. I don't know anything about equipment I don't have, and my Line 6 amps CLEARLY say that the RJ45 is for the shortboard. I have moth the little practice amp and a Spyder III modeling amp head plugged into my 2x12 speaker. That this is SO LOUD I an barely use it at home. I haven't even gone through all the modeling settings yet. 100 bucks from a pawn shop in Los Angeles! Also have a Pocket Pod I got for $30 and shipping from a pawn shop in San Francisco. All those guitar toys!!!

And I am a keyboard and sax player who used to be a guitar player and now can't grip a pick because of arthritis. LOL!! We won't even get into how many guitars I have.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff

My favourite thing to do is to RTFM, it stops me from being an ID-10T!

Yes, it seems like a major design oversight to me. Two physically compatible ports that are not electrically compatible.

Also begs the question "Why isn't it the same wire in all RJ45 cable ends the wire that carries +vdc?"

The ethernet standard doesn't actually have a pin for +VDC. Signal on the wire is generally +-2.5V, transmitted on differential pairs. No ground, no power, simply 4 pairs with signals. RJ45 was not designed for the power delivery requirements that a Variax or FBV require.

I heartily agree.

As far as what Simon Says (see what I did there?) I would love to know WHAT the guy plugged into where. I don't know anything about equipment I don't have, and my Line 6 amps CLEARLY say that the RJ45 is for the shortboard. I have moth the little practice amp and a Spyder III modeling amp head plugged into my 2x12 speaker. That this is SO LOUD I an barely use it at home. I haven't even gone through all the modeling settings yet. 100 bucks from a pawn shop in Los Angeles! Also have a Pocket Pod I got for $30 and shipping from a pawn shop in San Francisco. All those guitar toys!!!

And I am a keyboard and sax player who used to be a guitar player and now can't grip a pick because of arthritis. LOL!! We won't even get into how many guitars I have.

There are a bunch of Line 6 products that have two RJ45 connectors for the FBV pedalboard and for the Variax - both use a "standard" RJ45 socket (although the Variax uses a ruggedized connector, but this doesn't stop someone from using a regular ethernet cable). This customer plugged their Variax into the FBV plug. I think the Vetta was among the first that did that.

And since you didn't ask, I'm "down" to 8 guitars now after my last move. Far too few!

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I remember helping a new, very young tech at the law firm when I worked there. A new lawyer came in and the kid went up to set up his computer. He called the desk about 45 minutes later because in his words "I have no idea what's wrong but the computer just will not connect." I had a feeling it was SOMETHING to do with the cable so I grabbed a new 10 ft CAT5 and headed up. I got into the office and looked at the wall jack and the connectivity light was amber. The lawyer was not in the room so the kid wasn't going to be embarrassed when I explained the problem. I plugged in the new cable and it came right up. When we got back to the desk I sat him down and showed him the two cable ends side by side and showed him how pin 3 and pin 6 were swapped, and that he could tell because blue faced blue and green faced green, and that blue had to face green when you lay the connector side by side, and blue had to face blue when you laid them contact to contact.. I explained that this is why you ALWAYS take a new cable, because as luck would have it he managed to pick up a crossover cable out of a big box of cables. I had to explain transmit and receive and all of that, how using the crossover cable would result in transmit in the cable being connected to transmit on the wall jack and that it had to connect to receive. I frankly don't know how he could have been hired as an IT guy and not know the basics of how to wire CAT5 cables. But he never made that mistake again, so...

2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,576
Posts734,572
Members38,494
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY, Fender601, VIPBET사설토토
38,494 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193