Recently I've decided to focus on some foundational skills including more keyboard practice and also ear training. I came across the video below today and it's one of the best that I've seen so far on ear training methods.

Ear Training - Theory and Practice w/Dave Frank

There are two things I wanted to comment on today, and they mainly relate to composing music. When I'm composing music, its always a challenge to create something that's not derivative of what I've already done or an existing song. It's easy to get trapped into certain chord progressions and melody choices. One of the ways I'm trying to overcome that is to slow down, stop and take some time to listen, really listen to the sounds of some of the chords and intervals. I'll ask myself questions like "Does that chord really fit in my progression?", "Does that melody line really bring out the contrast or the color, or does it just walk the line?", "I am choosing the right note or just the easy note?"

I've heard that Bach made countless revisions in his works because he was driven to find the "right" notes. For me, I'll settle for "pretty close" but I'm finding that just taking it up a notch is helping me make better and more interesting choices.

I'd really like to hear what other folks have to say about ear training and how it relates to or influences the way you play, compose or listen to music.

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts