#617889 10/05/20 10:46 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
J
John F Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
J
I have been recording lately and having a great time, but my voice is sometimes as spot on as it could be for my vocals. I know there is vocal correction software out there but most I have seen is upwards of $100 and I'm too cheap to spend that many bucks. Does anyone know of a reliable plugin I could buy to accomplish this? I know that BIAB and RB have a voice correction feature in the harmonizer, but it seems cumbersome to have to plug in a midi melody for the voice track to follow. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Music is what feelings sound like.

Windows 11, Behringer UMC204HD Audio Interface, BIAB/RB 2022 Ultra Pak Plus
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Here are some for you to check out. Note that I have no experience with any of these.

Waves pitch correction software for $60 USD:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...95fb7fef8485170

Waves Tune Real Time pitch correction for $35 USD:

https://www.ebay.com/i/142079622339?chn=...2556500d9c77333

And here are some free ones:

https://vstwarehouse.com/pitch-corrector/

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
If you already have Reaper, ReaTune is workable.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Expert
Expert
The good ones cost a few bucks.

I really like Nectar 3 Plus. The included copy of Melodyne 5 is just one of the many things it can do.
Nectar 3 Plus

Nectar Elements has bee around for a decade – it’s the original build of Nectar. Although 3 Plus is better, this is often on sale for $29 as it was last week. It has a pitch tool that was my go-to for many years. You’ll have to shop around.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
There’s one in the freeware GVST suite of plugins. Melodyne comes with some DAWs like the paid for version of Tracktion.

Expert
Expert
ReaTune work well enough for me. It come included with Reaper. I don't go for the T-Pain/Cher effect though. So if that's what your after I can't vouch for ReaTune. But, if simply correcting some notes here and there, which is hopefully all you need, then it work great.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Veteran
Veteran
There's vocal correction software and then there's vocal correction software..... depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

The better ones are going to cost a bit more than the $100 limit you have imposed. I do believe that you mostly get what you pay for. Free and cheap are free and cheap for a reason.

I like Melodyne. It is a great plug in for vocal correction that is mostly transparent when used properly. No nasty sounding artifacts. You can buy Melodyne 5 Essentials for $99 currently. Vocal pitch and timing correction is in it and 95% of what you need is pitch and timing fixes. I use it on the vast majority of my vocal and on some of my instrument tracks and the good thing is no one can tell where I have used it. It's totally transparent.

PLUS... you can download a free Melodyne demo that you can try for a few days to see if it is what you want. Can't beat that!

https://shop.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CelemonyShop.woa/wo/L5s0sjMJxVnWOkYhHOptE0/0.0.31.23.5.19.0.9

One thing I have learned by using Melodyne is that when you observe the "blobs" it can actually show you what your voice is doing. This lets you see and learn how to fix the issues at the singing level. Such things as pushing a note or pulling back in the middle of a note which affect the results, can be seen, and once you see it and are aware of it, you will hear it when you do it and you can learn to fix the problems before they start, hence becoming a better, stronger singer.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
The good ones cost a few bucks.

I really like Nectar 3 Plus. The included copy of Melodyne 5 is just one of the many things it can do.
Nectar 3 Plus

Nectar Elements has bee around for a decade – it’s the original build of Nectar. Although 3 Plus is better, this is often on sale for $29 as it was last week. It has a pitch tool that was my go-to for many years. You’ll have to shop around.

Mike, I think the URL you have listed is missing a colon after the https. It will take the user to an incorrect page

I think the correct URL is this:
Nectar 3 Plus
(You may be able to edit the link in the post)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I personally use the Flex Pitch built into Logic, but that's only helpful if you're on a Mac.

I work here
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
I personally use the Flex Pitch built into Logic, but that's only helpful if you're on a Mac.

I’ve never used a pitch editor for vocals but I too like Logic’s editor. I find it quick to use for getting that “right” note or two for a RT rhythm track segue into a vocal or solo or for tailoring a fill.

Bud

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
+1 on Flex Pitch, for me as well - though, admittedly, it's the only one I've ever used.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music

I’ve never used a pitch editor for vocals but I too like Logic’s editor. I find it quick to use for getting that “right” note or two for a RT rhythm track segue into a vocal or solo or for tailoring a fill.

Bud

Cheers,
Deryk
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I second what guitar hacker is saying. I have used retainer, and about three others that come with other DAWs. Melodyne is head and shoulders above them. I have the latest version with now includes sibilance removal. The other all work to a degree, but Melodyne give spot on control. In my mind it is the best plugin out there for these type issues.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
I second what guitar hacker is saying. I have used retainer, and about three others that come with other DAWs. Melodyne is head and shoulders above them. I have the latest version with now includes sibilance removal. The other all work to a degree, but Melodyne give spot on control. In my mind it is the best plugin out there for these type issues.

I agree completely. I have tried a number of pitch correction programs and Melodyne is the best. Like BiaB the least expensive, $99, monophonic version, Melodyne 5 Essential, works just as good as the more expensive versions, it just lacks the polyphonic options and a number of other bells and whistles. If all you are going to pitch correct are vocals then Essential is all you need.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I wish I had a means of giving away the free copy of Melodyne that Izotope gave me. I find Logic Pro X's pitch editor easier to use and Nectar has a great built in de-esser that's always there when needed. Nectar 3 also has a well thought of pitch editor but I'm yet to open it. So many options nowadays for folks!

J&B

Veteran
Veteran
I really like Waves Tune, but there are a number of caveats:

• It can't run stand-alone, but has to run in a DAW. Melodyne has a stand-alone version.
  • It doesn't play nice with RealBand. So if you use RealBand, don't bother with it.
  • In requires an instance of ReWire running on one of the tracks to synchronize it with the DAW. This isn't a big deal at all, but it's one of those "you need to read the manual" things that can trip you up.
  • The UI is really small. However, Waves 12 supports larger GUIs, so that may no longer be an issue.

I particularly like the way it allows the pitch line to be penciled in and adjusted.

So if you're using an DAW other than RealBand, you might find the frequently on sale price of $35 attractive.

You can always download it as a 7 day demo and try it out.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
[quote=Rob Helms]I agree completely. I have tried a number of pitch correction programs and Melodyne is the best. Like BiaB the least expensive, $99, monophonic version, Melodyne 5 Essential, works just as good as the more expensive versions, it just lacks the polyphonic options and a number of other bells and whistles. If all you are going to pitch correct are vocals then Essential is all you need.

Howdy Mario....

I've pondered getting this program for a while.
Based on your take I've just downloaded the demo.
I will give it a try today on my new BIAB song. ("Red Beers In Kansas")
I would only use it on my (less than perfect pitch :)) vocals.

For others who may be pondering the same here's the link:
https://services.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/LicenseApp.woa/wa/demoRegistration?item=Melodyne5-Demo-Win&language=en

Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 10/30/20 02:35 AM.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
[quote=Rob Helms]I agree completely. I have tried a number of pitch correction programs and Melodyne is the best. Like BiaB the least expensive, $99, monophonic version, Melodyne 5 Essential, works just as good as the more expensive versions, it just lacks the polyphonic options and a number of other bells and whistles. If all you are going to pitch correct are vocals then Essential is all you need.

Howdy Mario....

I've pondered getting this program for a while.
Based on your take I've just downloaded the demo.
I will give it a try today on my new BIAB song. ("Red Beers In Kansas")
I would only use it on my (less than perfect pitch :)) vocals.

For others who may be pondering the same here's the link:
https://services.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/LicenseApp.woa/wa/demoRegistration?item=Melodyne5-Demo-Win&language=en

Have a great weekend everyone.

Note that Melodyne Essential will work on any monophonic instruments like horns, woodwinds, bass, etc. For example if you have a sax RT that has some notes you would like to change pitch, make longer or shorter, and/or delete you can do it with Essential.

Last edited by MarioD; 10/30/20 04:21 AM.

Expert
Expert
Note that Melodyne Essential will work on any monophonic instruments like horns, woodwinds, bass, etc. For example if you have a sax RT that has some notes you would like to change pitch, make longer or shorter, and/or delete you can do it with Essential.

Good to know Msrio.

I would only require mono.
I wouldn't want to subject any potential listener to my vocals in stereo...they'd sound twice as bad.

Thanks again....

Expert
Expert
Well....

I wanted to give this version 5.0 a try but apparently Windows 7 is no-go.

I have my DAW on Win 7 because I'm very concerned about conflicts with my other gear/drivers not being compatible on Win 10.
IE: Delta 44 audio interface....and any other unknowns that will make my DAW unusable and make me use a plethora of foul language at 120db.

I'm not interested in taking the risk of having to re-format/re-install everything....I could croak before I got all that back to normal.

I'd a guess a earlier version may work but I'm out of that loop.
Unfortunately, I'm SOL for Melodyne and I'm cursed to remain as is.

Back to it.....thanks to those that chimed in.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 10/30/20 10:59 AM.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
heres another by zplane for computer music mag uk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1EnR8R-0Ew&list=RD6vn6v5SjJ_I&index=1
i have it , but never used it yet.

frankly i'm kinda a purist and redo vocs till i get them right.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 10/30/20 10:20 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,459
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195