Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
localhero #618471 10/09/20 12:45 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Thank you, MovingAir. I completely agree with you in theory.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
localhero #618476 10/09/20 01:23 PM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: pinglis
I'd upgrade to Audiophile in a heartbeat IF it was 24 bit OR if it was a bit cheaper. I don't need the hard drive, I can download it

Moving to 24-bit would require a larger external hard drive, as 24-bit files are 50% bigger than 16-bit files. Our ~1.5TB of files in an Audiophile edition would end up being ~2.3TB. I'd personally love a 24-bit Audiophile myself.

Downloading is still not on the table yet, given the file size. We've sold thousands of copies of BB 2020 Audiophile, so that would be in the order of petabytes of data transfer for our file servers if we had it downloadable. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a downloadable Audiophile edition happen, for our customers who live in countries where we can't ship to. Perhaps lossless compression could come into play there, but I imagine there would need to be some backend programming done in BB to make that happen.

Originally Posted By: MovingAir
Frankly, I would love to see a 24-bit/96k version of BIAB. 24-bit to make it sound less "flat." 96k to make the stretching have fewer artifacts.
I already use the audiophile version, and even stretching the wav files has plenty of chirping going on.

24-bit 96K would be even bigger! Our 1.5TB would suddenly become ~4.9TB of files! Again, I'd personally love a 24/96 BIAB, but storage and transfer become an even bigger issue that way.

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
I converted some RealTracks to 48kHz/24bit and they worked fine in the Mac version but not Win.
Yes I think they were recorded at higher than 44.1kHz
Upsampling tracks would certainly work at least the same as long as the program can read them. I think the question being asked is, will they work better for stretching if they were originally recorded at higher bit and/or sampling rates?

I don't know what rates the RealTracks were recorded at, but almost certainly many of them were recorded at 44.1khz. Upsampling a native 44.1khz won't necessarily make it easier to stretch, as technically there's some stretching going on to take 44.1k samples and interpolate them up to 48k or 96k etc, so I can't imagine there would be any sonic benefit in doing that. Now if the native files were at a higher sample rate, that's totally different, but given space requirements I don't personally expect that to happen in the near future. That said, I'm not in the development team so really anything could happen there.

I work here
localhero #618481 10/09/20 01:49 PM
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Toontrack ships a 250gig 48kHz/24bit USB 3.0 drive for Superior Drummer 3.
I think some of the originals may have been recorded @ 44.1kHz/16bit but I asked for 48/24 maybe 10 years ago so I think that would of at least got them to start recording @ a higher rate.
You could put a column for the recorded rates in the RealTrack/RealDrums pickers maybe ?

localhero #618486 10/09/20 02:28 PM
Veteran
Veteran
My hope is for the 2021 Band-in-a-Box for Windows manual to be a completely revised manual.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Yes, that would get quite sizable. What about an option to ship BIAB on a 3.5" internal drive that people can install into their computer, rather than a more expensive external drive? I always transfer it onto an internal drive anyway. Then you could put it on a 4TB HDD for the same cost as what you're probably paying now for the 2.5" external drives.

This would also save HOURS of transfer time for someone like myself. Food for thought.

Last edited by MovingAir; 10/10/20 12:04 PM.
MovingAir #618596 10/10/20 12:20 PM
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
+1 4TB 3.5" internal drive
Not sure what the shipping weight difference would be ?

MovingAir #618656 10/11/20 04:18 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, that would get quite sizable. What about an option to ship BIAB on a 3.5" internal drive that people can install into their computer, rather than a more expensive external drive? I always transfer it onto an internal drive anyway. Then you could put it on a 4TB HDD for the same cost as what you're probably paying now for the 2.5" external drives.

This would also save HOURS of transfer time for someone like myself. Food for thought.

This assumes that the user has the capability to install an internal drive, has the power supply to run it, and is not using a laptop.

But I would go with that as an optional purchase.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
localhero #618768 10/11/20 11:17 PM
Expert
Online Content
Expert
PG do a great job but i'd like 2021 to work right straight out of the box. with 2020 we're still getting patches in October.

localhero #618933 10/13/20 06:38 AM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff

250gb of 24/48k stereo audio translates to around 241 hours of audio, assuming the drive is 100% full and only contains audio files - they actually advertise only 230gb of audio content, so it's more like 221 hours. Band-in-a-Box has 3,100 hours, hence the 2tb drive for 16/44.1k.

An internal drive is definitely not happening - can you imagine requiring the average user open up their computer to install a hard drive? Like MarioD mentioned, most of our users are running laptops, so that wouldn't be possible anyway. We could theoretically use a 3.5" external drive, but that would require an external power supply for it.

External 2.5" 4tb drives already cost about the same as a 3.5" 4tb internal anyways, so it wouldn't make much difference in price.

+1 4TB 3.5" internal drive
Not sure what the shipping weight difference would be ?

A 3.5" drive weighs 1.3lb vs a 2.5" drive weighs 0.3lb.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
This assumes that the user has the capability to install an internal drive, has the power supply to run it, and is not using a laptop.
But I would go with that as an optional purchase.

Even being optional and with numerous disclaimers, some customers who don't have the capability or necessary hardware to install an internal drive would still end up buying it, and then we would have to try to support these customers. Definitely not happening.

I work here
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music

250gb of 24/48k stereo audio translates to around 241 hours of audio, assuming the drive is 100% full and only contains audio files - they actually advertise only 230gb of audio content, so it's more like 221 hours. Band-in-a-Box has 3,100 hours, hence the 2tb drive for 16/44.1k.

PG ships a 2TB but there's not 2TB on it, more like 1.5TB

Even being optional and with numerous disclaimers, some customers who don't have the capability or necessary hardware to install an internal drive would still end up buying it, and then we would have to try to support these customers. Definitely not happening.

"Definitely not happening" that has been PG's motto for 30 years. The whole system is built around PG thinking that all users are incapable and you have to hold their hand. That's why it has been stuck in the 90's for so long and is not as professional as most other software.
They could just buy a 3.5/2.5" hard drive enclosure usb 3.0 or better still have that as an option. We can't all be treated as the lowest common denominator.

US $7.02/ea

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
HD-Dock.jpg (72.63 KB, 319 downloads)
localhero #618947 10/13/20 10:03 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I would appreciate having the choice of a large internal drive I could install. Then, perhaps every other year or every two, a downloadable patch or a flash drive. I’ve built all my own PCs since 1983; PG Music can’t offer a way to get updates that I cannot work with. I suspect more than a few others here are quite capable with any kind of update technique. Choice is good.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
localhero #618959 10/13/20 01:38 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I agree, many 'power users' could take good advantage of this option.
A simple checkbox like "I know what I'm doing and have the connections" during purchase could alleviate most support issues .. I simply copy/update the new external to an internal drive anyway.

Adding/replacing/updating an internal drive is not a problem for many of us, and if the alternative is adding a caddy option to accommodate the new drive itself, not a big deal either these days.

Just my thoughts ..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
4TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Purchase Option.
JUST DO IT !
Click to reveal..

I've had more 2.5" drives fail than 3.5", the last Seagate 2.5" 2TB Audiophile drive I got failed before I had a chance to copy it to an internal.
You know how long I've been at this, trying to get PG out of the past ?
It's like there's deep state blocking it all the time.
Don't wait another 10 years to see the light then do it.
Sorry guys but I'm just worn out from it all these days frown

localhero #619092 10/14/20 12:29 PM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I sincerely doubt we will ever have the option for a 4tb internal drive, for many reasons. First and foremost being the non-power users who don't have the capability of installing a hard drive - and for power users who do, they will have the skills necessary to buy a large internal drive and copy BB to it themselves.

Likely what will happen is we'll move to 4tb 2.5" external drives when we need to. We're currently at 1.51tb for the largest possible BB install (on Mac), so we don't need to switch to a 4tb yet.

I work here
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
So that gives us no HOPE at all, thanks.
But hey, just go back through the forum and you will see what happens, 10 years is usually the lag time from going over the heads until the light is seen.

localhero #619099 10/14/20 01:01 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Simon, I want to thank you for engaging in this thread and sharing information and your opinion. I may disagree on a point, but as I do not see the big picture, I respect your reasoning and have confidence the company will continue to assess the needs of the customers and respond accordingly.

localhero #619197 10/15/20 11:08 AM
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
See that's the problem, if you get new blood in they have to be loyal to the old guard and keep it in the past.
If I worked for PG I would have to do the same, that's why I couldn't do it, I couldn't be honest and give constructive criticism, I would have to limit and constrain myself into the 90's.
The Biab Plugin is a prime example, I pushed for that years ago and when it was finally released as beta I said don't release this as it will be a flop because there are too many issues and it's not working how it should. I FELT all the disappointment of users, and that hurt.
Then I spent years nagging trying to get it right (and that too was a massive fight, and just to get industry standard solo/mute buttons)
If it was just Adar listening to the users (like Attila does below in the RapidComposer forum) and being able to work on the BBW4 code it would be way ahead, like I mean WAY ahead, but he is so restricted, I couldn't do that I'd go crazy crazy .

So, should I bother anymore or just give up ??
because it really does take a lot out of me.
I don't have shares in PG so I'm not doing it for myself.

Originally Posted By: musicdevelopments
Feel free to post feature requests about RapidComposer in this thread, or start a new thread.
We will implement every sensible request, as it happened in the past.

Thank you,
Attila

localhero #619231 10/15/20 04:48 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Simon,
I disagree with this:
"I sincerely doubt we will ever have the option for a 4tb internal drive, for many reasons...."
"Ever" is very slippery word.

24 bit Audiophile anyone?

I hope that mr.G. sees this issue more openly.

External cases are dirt cheap. If I had a say beyond forum I would encourage to offer UltraPack and Audiophile on a customer choice of HD.

a) Outgoing, but cheap external spinner or
b)SSD shipped in external "usb" case, for those who do not want to tinker with stuff, but still want a fast / reusable HD.

With upgrades, I would offer an option of just new content on Flash drive. I believe, even Audiophile does not add more than 256G yearly, so I would offer exactly that, a 256GB (Usb3.1) flash drive with just new yearly content...

Yes, price point will change "somewhat" for those who would want SSD, but folks (and I am sure quite a few users) will see it as investment.

P.S. I think a 2TB SSD should be "enough" for next few years (until 4tb becomes more affordable), unless 24bit is coming soon smile

Pipeline #619300 10/16/20 06:26 AM
Veteran
Veteran
See that's the problem, if you get new blood in they have to be loyal to the old guard and keep it in the past.

As a member of the old guard, and presumably the object of your comment, I think a few statements are in order. First, I hope I have never objected to your suggestions for improvement, nor anyone else’s. I do ask for clarification a lot, but when I don’t support a suggestion I just ask that the developers make the new feature a choice so I can work the way I think best for me.

Second, I support having choices, including a large internal drive. As was mentioned above I’m willing to check a box when ordering that says I know how to install it.

Third, I was taught that you catch more flies with honey. What use will it serve to chase away a PG music staffer who is willing to converse with users and share his opinions? He needs to feel comfortable interacting with us and being honest. I already stated I disagree with this one opinion but I can respect it at the same time. Will he come back here? I hope so. This has nothing to do with being old guard.

Fourth, I truly love and respect all the terrific suggestions of those who are new to this forum. But those newcomers should not presume that their ideas may not have been discussed years or even decades before. We all have our own style, and mine produces results, if slowly. Let’s keep things positive here and show the company we support them even if we disagree with their approach on occasion.

Matt Finley #619314 10/16/20 08:14 AM
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
...As a member of the old guard, and presumably the object of your comment, .. What use will it serve to chase away a PG music staffer who is willing to converse with users and share his opinions? ...

Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
...An internal drive is definitely not happening.... Definitely not happening.

Opinion ? the not is in bold type, that's way more than an opinion, that's an executive position.
Old guards keep thing in the past, if you see yourself as an "old guard" then that's what they do, they guard things from being changed, forever.
"Seeing the Light" is exactly that, seeing the light, if you can't see the light it does not mean the light is not there.
As I keep saying I see users come over the many years, suggest things because of their frustration only to get jumped on and got rid of by long time forum members, and then they never return as you can see by their post numbers, yet they saw the light and told the truth.
...I respect your reasoning and have confidence the company will continue to assess the needs of the customers and respond accordingly.

confidence ?? I'll be dead and gone before that happens, honestly.
Now that is the VERY thing that has enabled PG to stay in the past.
If you can't SEE that PG has been stuck in the past, then you are out of touch and IN the past, it is now 2020 not 1990.
I think most companies that started around the same time as PG are way ahead and up to date in development.
I honestly think it's all too deep seated to change.
If those that have tried in the past have been got rid of, I can't see much HOPE.
That's why I ask "So, should I bother anymore or just give up ??"

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199